THR Cats land on their feet

Today I started out very out of sorts.

Some of that has to be blamed on the weather. I live in the sunny desert, so a week of overcast and random rain is not optimal for my mental health. I'm completely solar powered. That has passed and we're back to our regularly scheduled sunshine. That will help.

I really need some good exercise endorphins, but that isn't possible right now. At least 2 more weeks of restrictions, probably 3. By 7 weeks on the right hip, I was back in the pool. And I'd hoped to be working on PT for my hip drop gait by now.

I'm pretty stir crazy. Because of the low immune system from all the shenanigans, I've been avoiding humans. They tend to be disease carriers. lol Several of my friends have gotten this year's covid and its awful. I can't vaccinate until all the excitement is over.

My poor husband is exhausted. Nurturing does not come naturally to him. He's been doing a really good job, but it's extra stressful for him. I think the extra trip to the hospital was harder on him than me.

Just a grousing sort of day. But in good news, I finally have enough mental energy to knit, so I'll get some of that in.
 
Sending big ((hug))s to you AND your husband. It's really been A Lot!

I'm glad you're knitting, and hope that each of you - together or separately - are able to find some kind pampering (like your shampoo) to help lift sunken spirits a bit.
 
@luvcats happy to hear you had some mental energy and were able to knit for awhile. Hopefully you'll start feeling better and stronger as the days go by and you can send the hubby someplace so he can chill for a bit. I think sometimes its as hard if not harder on our caregivers during this process. Hopefully you're back on the road to recovery and don't have too many bumps along the way.

I'm terrible sitting there waiting if my hubby us having a procedure done. Bless his heart he brings his newspaper and pen to do his crossword puzzle and scrolls through his emails and Facebook on his phone if I'm in really long. He has the patience of a saint when it comes to me and recovery. Which is amazing as he doesn't always have a lot of patience, especially if he thinks people aren't doing their jobs.
 
We seldom think of the "caretakers" on our journey, but we sure do need them & appreciate them. I'm sure your husband hates seeing you struggle & having the extra hospital trip.
I hadn't crocheted in many years & started up again in June to have something to do other than watching TV in evening. I'm on my 5th afghan! I'm no professional, I make very simple afghans but enjoy the process.
We've had 29 days here no rain but today will be rainy & gloomy & I do enjoy a day w/o sunshine now & then, good day to make stew.
I know it's so hard to be patient with recovery but you will get there, unfortunate you had a setback with the infection. We are here to listen! That's why we all love it here, we support each other in good & bad times.
All my best.
 
My poor husband is exhausted. Nurturing does not come naturally to him. He's been doing a really good job, but it's extra stressful for him. I think the extra trip to the hospital was harder on him than me.
Caregiving can lead to physical as well as emotional exhaustion. Hopefully hubs is taking regular breaks to recharge so he doesn't burnout or develop stress related health issues. If he's not already, consider encouraging him to get out of the home for a few hours on a regular basis as it will reduce any feelings of pressure, isolation or depression he may be feeling and allow him to provide even better, more attentive care. Caring for ourself goes a long way in sustaining the ability to better serve others long term. I booted my husband out of our home several times in the early days and weeks, having him "set me up" ahead of time with all I may need, mostly within easy reach. It worked out well and I felt empowered by allowing him that break while on my journey back to independence.
I hope you two have a good weekend, luvcats!
 
I have definitely been encouraging Beloved to get out and do some fun things. He went to the local gem and mineral show that we had been looking forward to. He's been spending many mornings in his garage shop prepping this year's upgrades to our Halloween Extravaganza.

We live on Crazy Halloween Street for our local area. Our neighbor approached us a few months after we moved in back in 2022 asking if anyone had mentioned Halloween to us? Yeah, it really should have been part of the neighborhood disclosures. Fortunately, it is our kind of crazy. For the last 35 years, our neighbor has decorated his house in a Beetlejuice theme, completely over the top. He dresses in a Beetlejuice costume. He gets a sound system and blasts Halloween music when he isn't MCing in character. Others on the street have joined in. There is a Walking Dead house. Pirates. Nightmare Before Christmas. A garage Haunted House. A Skeleton Bar that is very creative. And we will get, I kid you not, about 4000 people. That is not a typo. I have 50 lbs of candy under my dining room table that I got on a really good sale.

Because we already had great costumes from reenacting, our house theme is Haunted Castle. It must be horrible for neighbors who don't participate, but for those who do, its a really fun neighborhood bonding experience.

It's disappointing that once again my participation will be limited. I won't be has recovered as I planned.

Although I got some energy back last weekend, it was the difference between knitting or no knitting. Not like having actual energy. lol Just less limp.

I learned yesterday that I'll finally be off antibiotics on Monday. I will be so very glad to have the picc line out. The line itself doesn't bother me, but I get horrible heat rash under the dressing and it ITCHES. That will probably help my energy, although I am still as of Monday's blood work really anemic. It's improving slowly.

On Monday I'll go see the surgeon. I'll finally get the follow up xrays that normally would have happened 2 weeks ago. I'm still having a lot of discomfort right around the joint. Like tendinitis kind of pain. Obviously with the general state of my body, healing is much, much slower than in May. I expect everything to be fine there. Maybe I'll have my movement restriction lifted from that standpoint.

But it won't be completely lifted and it isn't time for PT yet. I have a belly apron overhang, and for whatever reason my hip incision goes under it a few inches. In that space, I have wound dehisence. Meaning that the incision opened back up. The skin there is very thin. The surgeon says it will need to heal from the inside out. If it were anywhere else I wouldn't worry very much. The belly fold is extremely prone to sweating, heat rash, and yeast infections. None of my usual methods to control those things will work with a wound. So I will be getting wound care to make sure it heals properly without complications. More excitement I wasn't looking for.

I have been watching way too many video shorts on YouTube and Facebook. There are a lot of very funny people out there. I'm glad they have a place to shine.

Have a good weekend my friends!
 
I'm really sorry to learn of the wound dehiscence. The wound care folks may recommend something (a piece of lint free breathable fabric or some large gauze pads) to buffer between your "apron" and the wound dressing itself to minimize them affecting each other.

Meanwhile, congrats on the imminent disappearance of the picc.

Halloween, I picture you on your porch in a rocking chair, knitting like Madame deFarge, cackling wickedly, and throwing candy at people :heehee:
 
There is no knitting on Halloween! It is too frenetic for that, and there isn't enough light.
This is us last year. I sit in my chair and hand out candy as fast as I possibly can for 4 hours! This year we are hiring a young friend to come help out so I can actually enjoy the spectacle.

The blue netting we're wearing gives a really nifty blue glow after dark. And for everyone raised in a post Star Wars world, ghosts glow blue.


[Bonesmart.org] Cats land on their feet
 
@luvcats Your Halloween theme sounds wonderful! When I read about it I had a picture of a costume to go with the theme ... a skeleton costume with the replaced knees and hips painted silver :heehee: :yikes:
 
Oh my goodness, quite the spectacle! Unbelievable the amount of trick or treaters you get.
Great news on the end of the PICC line and antibiotics. I hope you have a nice visit with your surgeon on Monday!
@luvcats
 
Yes, gone are the days when you carved a scary face on a pumpkin, stuck a candle in it & placed on front doorstep! Halloween has become crazy, our neighborhood is a combination of overkill with those huge scary things that light up (one is fine but several on one lawn is overkill), those more traditional with hay, mums ,pumpkins & scarecrows. I fall into traditional mode but do enjoy the fun stuff folks do.
I've read that folks spend as much on decorating for Halloween as they do Christmas.
Happy that pic line will soon be history, sure hope that wound heals up, you've been through a lot with Hip #2.
I'll look forward to update on Monday after your doctor visit.
 
@luvcats so happy to hear the picc line should soon be history. Sorry to hear of the problems with your incision.

Not sure if this would be helpful or not but I have been wearing women's boxer shorts for underwear. Since menopause passed I have had a horrible issue with sweating. Add to this an apron type tummy and various side effects from cortisone injections. Regular underwear cut into my leg creases and irritated me terribly plus didn't fit right with my belly.

Originally started when I found some Fruit of the Loom mid thigh cotton boxers. Was a total game changer, helped some with the sweating and didn't irritate me. After my THR they were awesome as they didn't rub the incision, they actually gently covered it so clothing didn't rub. Unfortunately the Fruit of the Loom are almost impossible to find now so have switched to a few different brands. Tomboyx is one that carries cotton with various leg lengths. They are expensive, just like decent bras are.

You neighborhood sounds like its a riot on Halloween! You and the neighbors seems to have just as much fun as the trick or treators! :heehee:
 
@myglasshalffull
I've read that folks spend as much on decorating for Halloween as they do Christmas.

In this neighborhood there are several houses that do way more decorating for Halloween than Christmas.
Not that we're slackers then either. Winter holiday decorating is much less of a community event than Halloween.

@Elf1 All my underwear is 100% cotton and I've made mine fit the belly by buying a bigger size and taking a big tuck in the center back! My mom explained to me at puberty that the ladies in our family are incline to yeast issues and all knickers should be able to be washed on HOT.
I have good luck controlling yeast issues by using a mineral crystal stick deodorant in all crevices. I learned today that mixing white or cider vinegar into a dilute solution into a spray bottle and spraying that in crevice-y areas can change your ph enough to prevent issues.

Last night I got a call from the wound care specialist nurse. She came this morning (unfortunately disrupting our planned breakfast out) to evaluate my open spots.
She did not feel it necessary to pack the wound. I have a new dressing with silver alginate to absorb fluid and prevent issues. I just have to leave it in place.

The horrible part is, I can't shower with it. :eeeuw::yikes::gaah::censored:

I have a *thing* about showering at night. It's been a non optional part of my bedtime routine since college. I genuinely only miss when I am actually in the hospital. When I wasn't going to sleep anyway.
I think I have some hospital grade wipes somewhere. I'll plan to shower right before the nurse comes Monday.
 
I need some experienced feedback.
My hip has started hurting again. It feels like tendons or ligaments way up at the joint level. I've had to go back to pain meds at night because I'll move my leg while sleeping and wake myself up with discomfort.

This is giving me tons of anxiety, as you can imagine, with all the other excitement that's been going on.

Opinions. How likely is this from either sitting on my bum rather than getting the recommended increase in gentle exercise. (Restriction imposed by my surgeon.) And or stress eating less than ideal choices increasing inflammation. Because stress.

Obviously I'll be talking to my surgeon about it tomorrow at my appointment, but today it's making me crazy.
 
@luvcats I've just caught up with you, we had very close surgery dates back in 2019 and I remember you from then. Hoping you'll have some resolution after surgeon's appointment tomorrow. I'll be watching for your updates. :console2:
 
I wish I had useful advice to offer, but just sending a ((hug)) and hoping you stay comfortable until tomorrow's appointment.
 
Good news all around.

When my usual nurse called me Sunday to discuss our visit this morning, she approved covering my wound dressing with tegaderm so I could shower. :bath: That immediately improved my disposition.

This morning the nurse came, changed my wound dressing, took measurements and more pictures to forward to the actual wound expert. That is pending.

I am officially done with IV antibiotics. The nurse took out my picc line this morning. My relief is immeasurable. The entire area that was under the sterile dressing is red and rashy. It's been making me miserable. It's had a good soapy scrub and a nice coating of otc hydrocortisone cream and that is another huge improvement. :yes!:

This afternoon I saw my surgeon. I had my surgery follow up xrays, and they look really good. The joint positioning is spot on. No structural problems. He evaluated my leg and movement and it is his judgement that there doesn't feel like more fluid and the increased pain is, as I hoped, partially not enough movement, and partially just crazy inflammation. My movement restrictions have been lifted, so I am back to carefully increasing my movement in the preferred post surgery fashion. No PT until my wound heals. There has just been too much trauma, I still just need to go easy and let things heal.

Very relieved.
 
@luvcats What a wonderful hopeful post! It really is good to hear that things are turning around and moving in the right direction for you! :yes!:
 
This is such a relief to read!!! I needed some good news this evening and you've supplied it!!!!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom