THR Cats land on their feet

@luvcats woohoo! That is an awesome update, just remember to take it slow and listen to your body. If you're still experiencing some pain you can always ice, just remember to put a cloth between the ice/gel pack and your skin. You can basically ice as long as you're comfortable. I'm still icing my knee and there are even times that I'll ice my hip when its misbehaving.
 
Great news, luvcats!
I hope you feel more relaxed and at peace after the removal of the PICC line and a nod from your OS that all appears as it should. Thanks for sharing an update.
@luvcats
 
It has been a whole week and I still have rashy spots on my arm from the picc dressing. Good Grief!

I have been using a leg lifter for bed, and also to help get in and out of the car. That has calmed down the tendonitis or whatever was really straining my hip.
Constant application of ice and regular ibuprophen has calmed the inflammation considerably.
I still have an open spot on my incision. It is being managed by real wound care people, so it's healing slowly but surely.
No PT until that closes.
I'm feeling better. Except today. I saw my GP yesterday. All is well, but I got my flu shot and since my immune system was already lying on the floor panting, today I feel a bit puny and a lot tired. So very soon I'll go back to my chair for a nap.
 
Just sending a ((hug)) to you and a :flwrysmile:bouquet to your immune system!
 
Woohoo!
Tuesday I was feeling puny due to my flu shot, but Wednesday I had a friend visit, and after she left, I still had something that felt like energy! So I tidied some things in my bedroom that were out of control, and then I put away half of the...stuff that had accumulated on the dining room table.

Yesterday I went to the store and walked with the cart, then I still had the energy to sit and cut out the pieces to 2 new patterns, and I still wasn't exhausted after!

It feels like forever since I had anything like energy, so this is very exciting.

It still hurts to get in and out of the car, but it's better at a much lower level of medication, so that is progress.
Today will be a wound dressing change after going to the other grocery store.
 
Oooh yeah!
I admit that sometimes it's worth pushing the limit a little bit, not for the sake of exercising but for the joy of feeling a taste of "normal life" for a bit!
 
Great update "luvcats"
You know your body & limitations best so enjoy getting stuff done that needs to get done!
I always made a "loose" plan in my early days & when the body said "that's it" then I stopped!
But I visited ODIC a few times...LOL! :loll:
 
Woohoo! My brains are returning slowly. I have missed them terribly!
Today I sorted and filed or tossed a giant pile of paperwork and mail that had accumulated, honestly partly since May. lol It was all piled on my desk gathering dust. So Much Dust.

Monday my home care nurse came to do the wound dressing. It's healing slowly but surely. I have her take a picture on my camera every time so I have good visual evidence. And then I can share it when I see other doctors etc and they don't have to pull off the special dressing.

3 weeks after my GP put in a referral to the wound clinic, they finally called me. And it's going to be another 3 weeks before they had an intake appointment! It's a good thing I had other options. At this rate it should be nearly closed before the 'wound care' actually sees it.

I hope it will pick up speed healing. I really, really miss the pool. I talked to the home care nurse, and she's going to put me in for home PT while it lasts. That would be good really. I still can't move a lot of ways. I'd like a few simple strengthening exercises to start with.

I have started doing just a few simple things when I wake up in the middle of the night. All with the May leg. It's the weak side, but something is weird with the July side. My foot does this weird kick and twist when I step. Obviously some muscle is phoning it in, but I need an expert to tell me which one. And more importantly how to fix it.

This weekend I actually walked about halfway down my street to see all the neighbors who decorate for Halloween. It's a real community bonding thing here. We love it.

Saturday we went out for our much delayed anniversary breakfast and a drive. That was really nice.

Groceries on Thursday and Friday, a short walk Friday night, and Saturday morning out and a car trip. Saturday afternoon on a heating pad for my lower back. I have no muscle strength. Sigh. Back from zero one more time.

Our drive on Saturday. Lake Tahoe.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Cats land on their feet
    Lake Tahoe 10-15-24.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 38
I have her take a picture on my camera every time so I have good visual evidence.
What a good idea! Thanks for sharing that.

I have no muscle strength. Sigh. Back from zero one more time.
You've been through so much over the past few months! Give yourself some grace to take the time you need. You are on your way.

:flwrysmile:
 
Congratulations on your anniversary. It must have been a lovely day.

You WILL heal, recover, and get your muscles back!
 
Congratulations on your anniversary. It must have been a lovely day.

Lol. My actual anniversary was while I was in the hospital for the hematoma. Not what I planned for our 25th!

Fortunately we'd done our real celebrating early with a cruise to see the eclipse back in April.

It was a very nice day out. It's really too bad I can't post the incredible fresh smell of crisp mountain air lightly scented with pines.
 
Another milestone. Yesterday I was able to roll out 2 pie crusts. Standing at the counter. I did rest between them, but it's still a big deal.
I have a bunch of home made pie crust in the freezer that is much older than the recommended 6 months. I pulled some out to see if it was useable or not. I just made pinwheels, but it still feels like a big step.
Of course, my arms ached all evening. That's a separate problem and only doing things like that will build my arms back up.

The pinwheels are a very nice little treat.
Next up, savory hand pies for Halloween night dinner. Easy to eat outside.
 
Good job, luvcats! That is a big deal. :egypdance:
Enjoy the pinwheels and the weekend!
@luvcats
 
Monday was the latest follow up with my surgeon. We're both happy with the progress. He will keep me as an active patient until the wound is sealed and I feel fully into recovery. I see him again in December and I'm confident that should be it. He gave me a script for home PT for both my hip, and my shoulder.

My shoulder has been sore to various degrees for years, but shockingly, it hardly hurts at all when I'm taking a ton of tramadol every day. :shrug: I had an xray done, but it isn't in my chart properly so that he could look at it. He just read the report, referred me to one of his shoulder colleagues, and said the report recommended PT and I can certainly refer you for that! So he did.

I still have home nursing care for the wound. So I can't go to outpatient PT. I requested of the nurse to put me in for PT and a home PT person is coming on Friday to evaluate. I'm not worried about hip mobility or anything like that. This is to get me started on the path to walking normally. I've started doing a few gentle exercises from PT days past on the May side, and even more gentle things on the July side. I really want someone who knows what they are looking at to figure out which muscles I need to start with. I've already warned her about my dodgy connective tissue inclined to get super inflamed, so hopefully she understands how slow I want to start.

The wound is healing slowly but surely.

I've mentioned I live on a crazy Halloween street. It's a very community thing. I've been able to walk down to the last decorated house several times to chat and visit. Slow, but it's more than I've been able to the first 2 Halloween's we've lived here.

My energy continues to improve. I now get about 3 hours of activity and brains before I need to hit my recliner again. It's such a nice change.
 
You are getting there!!!!!
 
I've mentioned I live on a crazy Halloween street. It's a very community thing. I've been able to walk down to the last decorated house several times to chat and visit. Slow, but it's more than I've been able to the first 2 Halloween's we've lived here.
Great news! I'll bet you're gearing up for the little ghosts and goblins. I hope the weather is decent and you enjoy.
Will trick or treating be this weekend in your area, or on the 31st? I know some towns hold it on the weekend, but not in my location.
 
@Layla said: I'll bet you're gearing up for the little ghosts and goblins. I hope the weather is decent and you enjoy.
Will trick or treating be this weekend in your area, or on the 31st? I know some towns hold it on the weekend, but not in my location.

This year will be interesting. Actual trick-or-treating will be on the 31. We will get around 4000 people between kids and their attendant adults. That is not a typo. I have 50 lbs of candy in my dining room. (I got a really good sale!) Everyone who participates sets up in the driveway for better traffic control.

But the 31st is also Nevada Day (entry into the Union) and is a state holiday. It is observed this Friday. So I expect a ridiculous number of people coming by to see the decorations. I think there are 9 extravagantly decorated houses on my block.

The weather on the 31st should be clear and cold. We have space heaters.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom