THR Cats land on their feet

@luvcats just catching up as I was on a road trip over the long w weekend. Just got back and trying to get back in the groove. Hopefully they have let you go home by now and you are resting comfortably. That fluid we build up is just wild, seems like no rhyme or reason as to how much. Take care and keep us posted.
 
Earlier today, she said that the drs were deciding whether to still keep her for a bit with IV antibiotics, or send her home with oral antibiotics. She sounded good.
No word yet. ‍:kittymilk:
 
Last edited:
Thank you all so much for your support. I am finally home.

I had a really huge hematoma. Not only all the fluid I gushed that first Friday, but when they went in Wednesday there was still a huge pocked up into my groin. They cleaned it, scraped it, hosed it down in antibiotics, and gave me a drain for 2 days to be sure it was done.

Or at least, encourage it to be done. My surgeon says hematoma can be weird, reoccur, and don't follow the rules. It is possible it will come back, but we hope not.

Because my body opened a wound to relieve fluid pressure, the staph bacteria that is perfectly normal on our skin got inside. Staph inside is particularly bad for prostheses. If the new artificial hip gets tainted, staph makes a coating on it that is impossible to clean off. My infection was caught extremely quickly, but longer term IV antibiotics are called for to make absolutely certain there is no infection incursion into the joint capsule. There were no indications of any deep infection, but they can't really be certain.

This means iv antibiotics. My infectious disease specialists are still discussing how long, exactly, is the right amount of time. If it had been an infection without prosthesis, that would be 2 weeks. If they think there was a deep incursion, that is 6 weeks. It will definitely be at least 2 weeks. I'll find out Tuesday the final call.

I have a pic line in my arm for long term IV antibiotics. Those are annoying, but unfortunately this is not my first time with one, so I know the drill.

All this means I went into the hospital Wednesday morning for clean out, and I just got home last night. They had a plan by Friday, but I was held hostage by insurance red tape and approvals for home IV infusions. They were barely able to put all the pieces together yesterday in time to get me released.

The hospital took excellent care of me. The nursing staff were really great people. There was enough staff that I was able to get up and walk regularly, although not nearly as often as recommended. The kitchen did not impress, but they didn't trigger my listed food allergies, so they get kudos for a careful kitchen.

Beloved husband has been great through the whole mess. And every day when he visited, he'd go to a restaurant across the street from the hospital and being me some extra food that was safe to round out the very skimpy hospital meals, once you take out all the food I can't and won't eat. That made all the difference.

Being in a hospital when you are not in a lot of pain or very sick is stressful and tedious. I am really glad to be home with husband and cat, my shower, and most especially my bed, and my kitchen for real food that better supports my nutritional needs for healing.

:wave: :loveshwr::catdance::bath:
 
Welcome home and to the healing and recovery side of this setback!
 
So sorry you are having to deal with this, @luvcats, but glad you are home.

Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way for a full recovery.
 
@luvcats great to hear that you're home and getting settled back in. Totally understand the being held captive at the hospital and how stressful it can be and BORING! I unfortunately have been there and done that.

Hoping these antibiotics do the job and you're not stuck with the pic line for too long. Fingers crossed that they caught everything way before it got anywhere near your prosthesis. :fingersx: Keeping you in my thoughts and sending healing virtual hugs. :friends:
 
Oh gosh you've been through the wringer, luvcats. So sorry!
Thankfully you're back home with all of your creature comforts and have a plan for now.
Hopefully the antibiotics do the trick and this is only a blip on the screen. Please keep us posted.
@luvcats
 
Wow, that's a lot to deal with, hope everything settles & you don't need long term antibiotics but good that they are available if needed.
Rest & keep us updated!
 
After all the excitement in the middle of my healing process, I have no idea where I was on the pain continuum and where I 'ought' to be now. I cut back my tramadol rather abruptly due to a charting error when I got to the hospital. That was very frustrating. Why do they make you fill out everything in triplicate if that data isn't going to be accessed?
Every bit of pain in my leg is now aggressively evaluated for the likelihood of being a recurring hematoma.
As of leaving the hospital Tuesday, I am dreadfully anemic.

On Monday I'll see my surgeon again to remove the new dressing and be evaluated for fluid pockets, although I'm not sure they can really tell.
On Tuesday I'll see my infectious disease doctor and find out how long I have to be on iv antibiotics. I really, really hope the answer isn't 6 weeks. But whatever it is must be done. No mucking about with infections and joint prostheses.
 
Re anemia: If oral iron supplements have been recommended:
Solid research shows that oral iron supplementation is effective twice weekly; more often than that it simply doesn't help.
It is best taken with vitamin C.
Calcium rich foods and supplements must be taken at a different time of day or the iron won't be absorbed.

Best wishes for Monday and Tuesday appointments!!!!
 
Re anemia: If oral iron supplements have been recommended:
Solid research shows that oral iron supplementation is effective twice weekly; more often than that it simply doesn't help.
It is best taken with vitamin C.
Calcium rich foods and supplements must be taken at a different time of day or the iron won't be absorbed.

Best wishes for Monday and Tuesday appointments!!!!
Interesting. The iron supplement my body likes is best taken about every 3 days (personal trial and error). That works out about the same. And my supplement comes with C and some Bs to maximize absorption.

It was not specifically recommended, but no one said not to... lol
 
Monday I saw the surgeon. He took out a LOT more staples than I expected. The new incision was about 6 inches, longer than I expected. I think I didn't properly understand how much new trauma was caused by the clean out. A lot of the little holes from the staple removal bled and or oozed, but closed up over the next day. I still have steri-strips over the new scar. I am still on restricted movement while we wait to see if the fluid is going to build up again. I guess it's pretty random who gets one, and if it stops or keeps building up. I pat my leg down every evening and beloved husband is helping to compare the shape of both legs because I know I'm paranoid.

Tuesday I saw Infectious Disease. I really like that doc. I mentioned what I had noticed about my blood work and asked him to explain how things related, and he actually did! And he was patient about it. There was a question about 1 more week on IV antibiotics or 2. Since all my little staple punctures opened up and oozed, he decided to go 2 just in case something new had gotten in there. Better safe than sorry no matter how annoying it all is.

I have a terrible case of antibiotic tummy despite aggressively supplementing with probiotics. I use BioGaia which comes in little crunchy tablets that are vaguely flavored with mint and orange. Normally I hate mint, but it's subtle enough I don't mind it. Because they are pleasant, I have bottles stashed all over and take them randomly through the day.

I am fairly limp and can hardly get anything done, but I figure the new incision set me back at least 2 weeks so I'm trying to go with the flow and not worry about it. I can get the dishes in the dishwasher. I can run clothes through the wash as long as I was one day and put away a different day. I feed me and the cat and make Beloved his eggs for breakfast. That and medical appointments and I'm exhausted. That seems fair.

Although yesterday on the way home from ID, I stopped at my favorite place and had my favorite person wash my hair for me. A fresh clean head really improved my general outlook.

It does pain me to be too limp to knit, but that should pass soon.
 
YAY for a good hair wash from your person!!!!

I'm so sorry this is dragging on and sapping you so much.

If it helps.... I honestly think the "limpness" is your wise body insisting on ample rest to both fight infection and repair-rebuild.

We all have our favorite probiotic go-tos. While I'm a big fan of live culture yogurt near daily, in a clinch a good live kimchi (with its ginger, garlic, and extra vits C and B from fermentation) is what I also reach for - if you like it, try to find some.
 
To quote staffer Roy Gardiner
"When you are icing and elevating and watching telly you are not 'dossing around' you are 'engaging a carefully considered proactively designed heuristically programmed dynamically structured recovery programme'."
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom