THR CanukTriMom gets new bionic hip!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:bawl:@MajorHeidi @FLGirl @beachgal @NoraJ @Rhonda K @Carriemay60 @Threads @Me2@PuppyLove

Sorry been off the radar going through morphine withdrawal for 3 days...:bawl:

I have no idea how drug addicts go through that everyday! So for me the idea of staying ahead of the pain game is good but not with any type of opiate. So after 3 days of rotten stomach,heavy night and day sweats, chills, sobbing uncontrollably, no sleep, screwed up electrolytes, finally it seems there is light at the end of the tunnel:yahoo:

I am taking 50 mg of Tramadol every 6 hrs and it seems to be working and I will stAy at this regime and use extra strength tylenol upto the amt of 4000 mg for the next 45 days. Then I can slowly taper off the tramadol and as it is fast releasing each dose lasts 4 to 6 hrs and won't accumulate in my system....

I am wondering if I need a medic alert bracelet with that information about the opiates on it?

Thanks to those who told me the craziness was temporary and to cry all I wanted knowing that I would be smiling soon!,:flwrysmile: Cheryl
 
Oh wow, oh wow!!!!! What a horrible experience. Can only imagine what a dark place you must of been in. I had struggles with those darn narcotics too, but of course nothing like you. Some of us just can't tolerate them, while they are work great for others. Hmmm, guess we just got unlucky. I'm at the 3.5 week mark and can go without any pain meds most of the time. Take Tylenol from time to time. Tightness is my complaint. Hope you get there soon. Sounds like the worse is behind you and on the way to better days.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hope you will feel a lot better very soon!
 
Oh just what you don't need...glad you are seeing the end of that tunnel & keeping the pain under control...what rotten luck. Xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@CanukTriMom Cheryl, I can totally relate to the withdrawal experience.
It happened to me even though I tapered off oxycodone by cutting pill in half then into quarters, but
still had it.
The worst was the first night where I COULD NOT get warm for anything. Chills were horrible. Put on two coats, several comforters and just had to ride it out til the next day. Felt like mild flu symptoms for 3-4 days then it was gone.
Big (((HUGS))) back to you. I know you will feel much better now.
 
@CanukTriMom Cheryl, I am so sorry you have had all this to deal with. I watch my clients come down off of street drugs and illegally bought Rx's all the time. The Rx is generally mixed with whatever they could find to buy on the street (and they often don't even know what they are taking) and then mixed with alcohol too. It can be scary and the coming down often results in a 911 call to get them to hospital where they are safe. They are often back the next day in the same condition, tragic!

I am really hopeful you now have your meds sorted out and it will work for you to control pain and not build up in your system. Don't forget to use ice almost continuously for added pain relief. You can cry on my shoulder anytime; I just bought a new box of super soft Kleenex :)
 
@CanukTriMom - wow, what a horrible experience. I definitely think you should wear a medic alert bracelet - that's serious stuff that happens to you if you are given opiates! I'm so glad to hear that you've found something to replace them. Take care of yourself.
 
My drs have noted my sensitivity to opiates in my medical records but your idea of a bracelet is outstanding.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
END OF WEEK THREE ANNOUNCEMENTS!!!!!!

Well I haven't posted in awhile due to 2 successive drug withdrawals which were extremely depressing and too horrible to discuss.

At the end of week 3 I can now perform the following tasks.

Walk up and Down the Steps in my house using handrail only and one foot in front of the other.:yay:

Put on and tie my running shoes.:wowspring:

Fold loads of laundry and get son to carry baskets up.:spin:

Go to mall with mom for an hour:cheers:
Change sheets on bed.:flwrysmile:

Shave both legs myself!:yes!:

Drive myself short distances ie. Son to early morning band.:egypdance:

Walk with only one crutch.
:curtsey:
Read an entire book and actually stay awake!:friends:

Hope everyone is feeling great!

Cheryl
 
WOW - that makes for a Happy Thanksgiving @CanukTriMom Awesome and congratulations for coming out of a very difficult time!
 
@CanukTriMom Oh boy, I feel like such a slacker!! Your accomplishments are amazing and hopefully not causing you any hardship now or in the future. I would assume that your prior physical fitness level is having quite an influence on your recovery :) Turkey day tomorrow :) :) :)
 
@Carriemay60

Yes I credit all of my accomplishments at the end off week 3 as a direct results of being a Masters Triathlete as well as all the additional Physio I did for the 6 months leading upto the surgery wherein I focussed on all the muscles that surrounded my hip. All that hard work plus the mantras of elevation and ice were spot on. Really I didn't do much for the first 10 days except slowly recuperate. I also had the advantage of knowing when my surgery was and preparing for it whereas your situation was a result of having some horrible accidents.

Just had the first Turkey diinner tonight and the second with my Mom tomorrow.

Cheryl
 
:sneaker: Checking on how you are doing. So happy to see your positive report --

I didn't have any opiates after I left the hospital and still had some serious crazies for an extended period after surgery. I have worked really hard to eliminate any of the possible causes for what I experienced. I am pretty comfortable with everything else with surgery on Wednesday but I so hope I don't get those crazies again.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and our Canadian friends!
 
@CanukTriMom We had tacos tonight and I got my stuffing made so all the spices should marry up overnight. I wish I could have prepared more for all this, sa la vi. I do feel like I have some things in my favour - much better to happen now than @ 80 years for a start!

@Me2 Thank you & happy Columbus Day to you! When you say "crazies" I wonder what you mean? I was found to be very depleted B12 level. They hung B12, potassium and magnesium on my IV. I eat really good food but way too little for too long. My surgeon recommended 1000mg of B12 following my release and I messed that up and was only taking 25mg. When I realized last week I had the 1000iu on my vitamin D confused with my B12, I changed it of course. In the meantime, I spoke with my daughter who is a R.N. ad was shocked to learn just how much B12 helps us an is not easily absorbed apparently. In hindsight, it is no wonder I still felt like I had "brain fog" from the surgery and was finding it so hard to focus on paperwork, appointment times, etc. The elderly are much more likely to suffer from the mental aspects of anesthetic but that does not mean that us 50 year olds are immune. My mother was 80 when she had her last major surgery and suffered full blown senility for about 2 months following.
 
  • Informative
Reactions: Me2
@Me2

As long as you know exactly what they are giving you and how it interacts with medication you are currently taking, you should have no problem with that portion of the equation. The rest you have it nailed sister!

No surprises this time around as you have done your homework to eliminate them this time around

Cheryl
 
@CanukTriMom wow, your accomplishments are being achieved much earlier than most. Great job!
You did all the right prep work and with your athletic background --> it worked out great for you.
I also had a few days of drug withdrawal symptoms that were unpleasant (freezing coldness was the worst).
Glad we are over all that!
:bow:
 
:wowspring:You have quite the list of accomplishments! You should be proud of all you have done. Do be sure to keep asking for help so your family doesn't think you're self- sufficient yet :wink:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom