THR CanukTriMom gets new bionic hip!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I read your post op thread. Wow you have done well. Now you mentioned master triathlete, not sure if we have met but have been doing tri's since the early 90's. IMC 5 times and been on the national age group team since 1998. I put off my surgery to compete in the Worlds here in Edmonton, in my back yard! Haven't really been running for a couple years other than during triathlons. Nevertheless wasn't diagnosed with OA and severe hip degeneration until 2012 after a not very fun ironman. I remember about 4 years earlier hurting my 'groin' playing volleyball... IMS, acupuncture, ART, massage therapy and any thing else didn't seem to make it any better. Could have had my hip,done last year but with help from doc (a friend and also team doctor for tri Canada) and my PT they were able to keep me straight and competive...well you know what I mean!

Fast forward I had my surgery Nov 26 so now has been 8 days post. I found it reassuring, informative and helpful reading your posts. I unfortunately had a very rough first night when I felt like my femur was trying to explode out my leg...I did ask for pain medication all along but with a high pain threshold and not wanting to bother anyone (there was another patient down the hall just screaming at the nurses and not in a nice way) so I tried to be patient and wait for the drugs to kick in but they didn't. Any around 3 am after several calls and pain being in the 9-10 range, they upped my medication. So off to never never land. Next morning felt better but the extra drugs affected my 'walking' so cut that short. After the first day I was able to get around and started my PT. They all liked my ironman tattoo, luckily for me she was also a triathlete. Things progressed well with the OT as well and the mandatory body movements. Home after two days, great hey! After sleeping at home I woke up the next morning totally depressed, couldn't even tell my wife what was bothering me. Reflecting back I know it was the medication plus all the stress and build up I had prior to surgery. From your posts and others I have cut back on the pain meds and almost use Tylenol exclusively now. So far so good. Like you being an athlete we know the difference between pain and discomfort...well most of the time. For now I will err on the side of pain until I get the staples out and see my doctor and PT next Wednesday.

Long winded but wanted to give you some background. Now I am very curious about your recovery. I'm on the fence about running again but am giving myself at least 6 months to year to be fully healed before contemplating hitting the roads again. I've always given races 110% and the last worlds was hard knowing I wasn't running anywhere near what I was capable of, so my mind is not ready to just go and do a 'tri' without competing...time will tell. So your doctor allowed you to start swimming after 3 weeks and cycling how soon (on a trainer)?

I'm being very patient with this recovery only doing the exercises given to me but I know that being triathletes we came into surgery pretty strong. Any way welcome any thoughts or suggestions. Best of luck with your recovery.

Cheers
Mike
 
Mike

Well glad to see you made it to the other side! Best decision you have ever made. I had my surgery 2.5 months ago and yesterday I joined my tri group for a spin and modified yoga class. Wow you are a serious tri guy...Worlds is an impressive feat my friend. I stay at home as we have lots of good racing here in Ontario plus I am not of the calibre to compete in my age range which is very competitive.

If you have read my PreOp and PostOp threads, you will know that I stayed on my crutches until I was fully confident that my gait was pretty much symmetrical. I then went to a cane for a week and then walking unaided at 5 weeks. Here are my words of advice based on my experience

  • If your bed is comfortable, stay in it for the first two weeks with ice around that hip.
  • Drink lots of fluids which we triathletes do but it is very important. I drank the same amount I normally do..120 oz of fluid, mostly water and some G2 for electrolytes.
  • Don't underestimate the seriousness of the operation as you cannot predict how your body will recover. I thought I could approach it like prepping for a race, if I did A, B and C....well it didn't work that way. I had to learn that it was going to take as long as it took.
  • Give yourself 3 months for complete recovery. If you do that every little accomplishment improves your mental outlook. By complete recovery I mean getting back to the gym or your group. I started at 7 weeks with swimming until I got clearance for the bike at 8 weeks.
  • When you start swimming use the pull buoy until you get more comfortable you can move to using fins. I found the fins were instrumental in rebuilding the glut strength in your surgical leg. You will be amazed how much atrophy, aside from having surgery, that your entire leg experiences.
  • Find the best Physio, read not in the hospital, that you can. By that I mean go to a sports orientated Physio as they get the who triathlete mentality which is OCD to say the least. If you don't have one now, call you local university Physio dept as they will either have someone there who works on their athletes, or they will be able to refer you to the right person. I am just finishing my Physio now and it made the world of difference in my recovery progressing at the rate that was suited to my fitness level.
  • Do the exercises but don't be surprised if you can only do one set a day. Listen to your body and do not push it as you will regret it the next day.
  • If you feel you are not recovering fast enough, watch your operation / procedure on YouTube.....it will explain everything.
  • If you are tired, lay down and in fact you will be sleeping in intervals of 2 or 3 hrs for awhile, so naps will be mandatory. I felt tired for the first 6 weeks or so which really surprised me but it does adjust itself as you become more active. As triathletes we are used to being extremely busy with our bricks, time trials etc. and I believe that this was part of my exhaustion aside from a major surgery.
  • Accept the fact that you will not be able to race at 110 percent as it isn't going to happen. Now I have committed to not running for a year, so I am going to learn power walking, not race walking with the hips, but to have the power from the gluts. I am going to focus on swimming and biking this year as well. I am doing swim sections in half IMs for my friend who want to move beyond the Olympic distance but aren't proficient or confident in the 2 km swim. Hey at least I get to compete at Muskoka this year.
  • Have a plan for recovery including for the summer as you will be perfectly capable of doing Grand Fondos, Endurance swims, Century rides etc. This will allow you to stay in our wacky triathlete world until you can powerwalk or Galloway the run portion.
  • I will eventually get to the Galloway method but I will continue to race but knowing that I did the best my body could on any given race.
  • Get rid of your shoes you wore prior to surgery as your weight bearing is totally different with your new hips. I found that my best pair of presurgery shoes caused strain on my lower back. Nice excuse to get some new kicks.
  • Remember that post surgical depression is temporary.
Use the mantras as they work! You aren't alone in your recovery, feel free to ask me anything.

Take care

Cheryl
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your quick response! I appreciate your advice and experience. I am fortunate to have three close friends who have all had THR in the last three years. However sometimes you don't always ask or listen to the answers!

I am giving myself time to heal, luckily for me during my sporting career I have not had any serious injuries that kept me away from participating in sports. So this is a new experience not to be up with my friends spinning this morning! More of a mental game...of which I didn't do so well last night. I'm sure there are these little bumps in the road, generally I'm a pretty half full glass kinda guy so will work through this. I think most of it is being cooped up in the house, today I get to go for a little walk in the mall.

Great advice on using both crutches. When I use one I notice that me left knee gets sore but when I switched back to both soreness isn't as bad. After visiting with my Doctor next week I'll ask him about PT. When did you start? I do have a sports orientated PT, a member of the Olympic support team. She really helped me try to maintain my 'normal' gait before surgery. Sure didn't think I was that far out of whack! So I know it is important to do things right and slow.

Muskoka will be exciting next year, beautiful country! My family is from Collingwood and I spent time in Peterborough finishing high school, so know the area well. I did in the early part of my life live in Ottawa, loved the city. As you can tell I'm an easterner who moved west! Went to university at Western and Queens.

The tri group I've been associated with for the last 14 years is Cops for Cancer Team Ironman...not a police officer just an educator. Nevertheless I have been able to do two things I'm passionate about...volunteering for the Canadian Cancer Society and doing triathlons. My friends let me know that I need to get off my butt because the want to do IMC in 2016...four teammates...2 hipsters, one bad heart and one boob! The plan is to swim and ride then meet up for a nice walk through the trails at Whistler. Interesting will have to think about that!

Well time for breakfast and play with the dog! Thanks again and have a wonderful weekend.

Cheers
Mike


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] CanukTriMom gets new bionic hip!!

@CanukTriMom Cheryl - I hope you had a fantastic day. May all your wishes come true.

All my best, Kristina
 
Oooooo, there's a rumor going 'round that it's your birthday!!!! :)

Well, here's a toast to you @CanukTriMom! :cheers: I hope you had a wonderful day!
 
Happy Birthday! Mine was 12/11. Feeling great that I'm wearing my gift. Proudly!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to dear Cheryl! Happy Birthday to you!

:flwrysmile::roseshwr::loveshwr::flwrysmile::loveshwr::roseshwr::flwrysmile::roseshwr::loveshwr::flwrysmile::loveshwr::roseshwr::flwrysmile::roseshwr::loveshwr::flwrysmile::loveshwr::roseshwr:​
 
Hi Cheryl - @CanukTriMom ,
How are you and have you taken part in any races in the past couple of months?
I enjoyed reading your recovery thread because I also like triathlon. I participated in 10 marathons, 3 half-marathons, a few 5-12 Km runs and a few short triathlons (400 m swim, 18 km bike, 4 km run). Tried Ironman Germany but didn't quite make it. I didn't meet the time requirement during the biking stage (a few minutes too slow half-way through and had to stop).

Then my hip went bad. I had left hip replacement in Wiesbaden on 20 April and am very pleased with the outcome. No pain after 4 weeks. I ycle to work when the weather is fine which is 21 km from home and I've been swimming a number of times (crawl swimming). Like last year, and when the water is a bit warmer, I would like to take part in the organised swim that takes place every Thursday in summer in the lake which is where the swim of the Ironman Germany takes place. They call it the swim nights and it's fun. The routes are marked out and there are helpers with canoes that keep an eye on the swimmers and there is music. Good fun.

I might take up running again as well. My runs in the lunch hour in the forest near work with colleagues were an easy and not very time-consuming method for me to keep fit to balance out my otherwise very sort of sedentary working-life: I work in an office as a translator, and when I don't go to work by bike, I communte 33 Kms by car.

My surgeon says exercise is a must for me because I've got osteoporosis as well. He is very athletic himself and finished Ironman Germany twice. He never pronounced a life-long ban on running for me. I think he has given me an implant which is suitable for active people how like to practice sport: titanium stem, uncemented (he succeeded in doing that despite my osteoporosis), ceramic lining and ceramic ball.

I also go to a gym in winter and do exercises on the machines. I had a programme which a trainer/physio from the gym in my town worked out for me on the machines. This was to strengthen my muscles pre-op and I think that helped me with my recovery. That trainer told me that the running group, which is also part of that training centre and meets all the year round, has also a lot of people in it with artificial hips.

Have you started running again using the Galloway method and if so, how is it going?

I was surprised to see how fast my operated leg has become stronger already. But even the unoperated leg feels stronger than preop. I wonder whether it was underworked before because I was in pain and couln't use it in an optimum way. What's your experience concerning this?

Enjoy your sports.
I wish you all the best
Constanze
 
Hi @CanukTriMom ,
How nice to read a new post from you! Before my OP, I followed your threads carefully, both pre-op and post-op, since I also like triathlon because of its nature: its in the fresh air and trains your cardio fitness and endurance, and this is important to balance out the modern, often sedentary life-style of office workers like me.

I familiarised myself with the Galloway or "run-walk-run" method and the advice to exercise caution not to heel-strike.

Congratulations to your new successes in cycling and swimming. I also built up my strength slowly, however, not in such a structured way as you did it. I just listened to my body and enjoyed myself - and gave myself a rest as soon as I noticed something became a bit strenuous. I haven't taken part in any races, yet. However, my achievements include that I can cycle to work, which is actually a fair distance: 27 km one way. As in previous summers, from May to August, I took part in a Thursday "after-work" lake swim in a lake near work which is organised by the Sailfish company and supervised by the German rescue swimmer organisation. It's called the "Swim Nights" and you can choose a long route of 1.5 km or a short one of 800 m. Athletes can use this to prepare for Ironman Germany, because thatlake is exactly where the German Ironman takes place before the athletes cycle into Frankfurt and then into the hills north of Frankfurt.

I started some very light jogging - at first just 1 km - alternately with walking, in the forest next to where I work - just were I used to train for my marathons with my colleagues and friends from work. It felt good. I also browsed around on the website "Hiprunner" for runners with hip replacements. Maybe you're familiar with that website. Someone on that website (at least that's where I think it was) indicated that a life-long ban on running can actually be counterproductive for marathon runners. I think that might be right. Someone who posted on "Hiprunner" reported that he still gained weight even though they resorted to sports like mountainbiking. Surely it's not very good for your hip to gain so much weight. So he just went back to running.

It's amazing to do everything pain-free and I'm still finding it hard to believe that modern technology in medicince can do this.

To achieve a balanced training routine, I also train my muscle tone at the gym on the machines - same exercises as I did preop to prepare myself for the surgery. Again, I'm so pleased I can do them pain-free now. In addition, I practice some light yoga.

Looking forward to your September update and wishing you enjoyment and health, I'm sending you my best wishes.
Constanze
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom