THR CanukTriMom gets new bionic hip!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@beachgal ,@noraj,@Carriemay60 ,@muckingabout ,@MajorHeidi

THIS WEEKS ANNOUNCEMETS FROM CANUKTRIMOM news:spin::wowspring:

Hi ladies so I have some news.....some bad...some good

Here is the bad news

I had a horrible morning at PT wherein I had a reaction to morphine..basically sweating, racing heart rate, muscle twitching and my pupils were fixed and would not react to light. My doctor is in the same building, so my PT called him to look at me..diagnosis was that I was OD'ing on morphine. Apparrently I am in the 20% of the population who cannot completely flush the drugs out of my system, so only a quarter % of the drug would flush out and the rest would stay so that over time I have a toxic amount in my body. So no more morphine OR TRAMADOL FOR ME JUST 3900 mg of extra strength Tylenol.

But my PT said my recovery is moving rapidly and my doc wants me on both crutches for the next 2 weeks before moving to my cane. He did say I could get on my training bike indoors starting at the end of the 3rd recovery.


Here is the good news:spin::wowspring::yes!:
After 10 days out of the hospital I can:

Have a shower, get dressed and get my own breakie all on my own :curtsey:
Let the dogs in and out of the house to do their perimeter check :puppysmooze:

Use any washroom without a seat riser:wow:news:spin::wowspring:

Walk to the end of the street and back using both legs and both crutches:yahoo:

String together at least two coherent sentences both in speech and on the computer:idea:

Stay awake during an entire dinner conversation:tada:

In two days, no more continual day and night sweats:ice:

No more extra noises at inappropriate times.:fingersx: enough said about that!

Actually grew half an inch in height from implant:loveshwr:

Made a ton a great new pen pals who understand those tmi questions and like to chat anytime:cheers:


Hopefully with this drug change, my sleep will extend to a full night.:happydance:

Later

Cheryl
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ah Cheryl, @CanukTriMom Good compendium of where you are now! Sounds like good stuff!

Especially, the ability to use a toilet without a seat riser. That is a huge thing most folks wait til 4-6 weeks or more.
So, Awesome on that, and the rest!
 
Wow you go girl - those "little" things are so huge --- it makes me even more excited to be hitting those milestones! 16 more sleeps!
 
@CanukTriMom Hi Cheryl, fantastic report lady! You are really making progress and moving forward. That must have been a bit scary with the morphine overdose, good thing you were in a safe place when that happened!
 
Thanks everyone for the attaboys! Nice to have my own cheering squad . After yesterday's medical roller coaster, I,am just going to take it easy today and GP through some withdrawal symptoms from yesterday's adventure?

Have a great day everyone!

Cheryl
 
Glad you got through that problem Ok, but that must have been pretty scary.


Rest, relax, heal. Rah! Rah! Rah!

:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:
(your cheerleading squad)​
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@ CanukTriMom, take it easy today but happy all is well!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good morning everyone!

Another good news, bad news update!

I finally slept for 6 hrs straight ! Yeah!

Bad news is that I woke up with a very mad, angry, throbbing leg! As you know I found out that I cannot take any type of drug in the same family as morphine. I had stop cold turkey after a particularly nasty reaction to My morphine. So I had nothing but Extra Strength Tylenol . Unfortunately I did not factor in withdrawal from stopping the morphine cold to Turkey. I woke up crying in my sleep. Total meltdown on my part but better to happen when DH was home. Called the emergency number for my doctor and he said since I did not have a probe, with Tramadol I could take it but sparingly. Nothing is very easy with me and medications as I have never taken narcotics prior to my two major surgeries this summer. The problem is that I don't know how I will react until about day 10. My body doesn't break down completely wherein I retain 20 % of the drug and process 80%. Therefore overtime it builds to a toxic level and my body freaks out!

Yet I had breakfast made by DH. And am heading off for a nap...stil have an erratic body temp...either really hot or cold but no more body jerks, spasms which is a huge relief!

Well here's hoping everyone as a great day.

Cheryl
 
@CanukTriMom Oh how I loved getting up for my coffee and then head back to bed for a little read and a nap! I am contemplating that this morning because it is really dark & rainy here and I slept little last night. That is a pity about your pain and issues with painkillers. When I first broke my leg a American nurse who happened to be the wife of the guy who pulled me out of the pool, lol brought over some topical gel that is over the counter down in the states. Not sure if it is available in Canada but we may have something similar if you ask a Pharmacist. This one is called "Arnicarre". Another idea for the night is to set the alarm and refresh your ice throughout the night.

That erratic body temp. drove me a bit crazy. For me it was like being back in the absolute worst of my hot flashes and sometimes make me throw up. I still get it periodically but not nearly so much so hopefully yours will pass soon!
 
I have given up on the narcotics. Only taking Tylenol. For me, the problems they caused, were worse than whatever pain relief they gave. Some of us just can't tolerate them

I had the same meltdown, one very early Morning. Must be a requirement post hip surgery......but you are strong and doing so well. You will get past the dark moments that are normal at this point. Just need to find that med that works for you through trial and error, hopefully soon.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@CanukTriMom - you certainly are having a terrible ride! How physically and emotionally exhausting for you not get a relief from the pain. Know that you are bring thought of out here on the west coast.
 
That's is really a tough way to wake up -- hope you will be feeling much better very soon.
 
@CanukTriMom, girl, what is going on?? OMG! I'm reading about all this pain and I know you can't take any narcotics?? My goodness, it sounds like you need to stay put for a while and keep the ice going, try to rest. Meltdowns are allowed. Pity parties, ok. STAYING DOWN is not allowed.:tantrum2: Just saying.
 
@FLGirl @beachgal @Carriemay60 @Threads @Rhonda K

Thanks to my own cheering squad....yes the hip op itself has been fine, it is all the narcotics **** that drives me crazy! Yes I agree with @Rhonda K, a meltdown is to be expected with every post op operation usually in the wee hours of the morning....What was even better is I had my ice machine strapped to me and it was taking away from the true seriousness of the meltdown! You know men..."okay, well there is no blood, you didn't barf on anything..what's wrong"!

Update for today...well on the tmi topics....nasty stomach....everything just ran right through me and kept going to the next province I think. Then when I was clutching out of the bathroom I felt like someone was following me...turns out I had toilet paper stuck to my indoor door slip on shoes.... Really can't I catch a break and let me tell you that it is impossible to try to get it off your shoe with with the end of your crutch!

So I am just really hoping for a good night sleep like the nap I had when I went back to bed this morning!

Well that's all for now

Have a good one everyone or what's left of the day!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you got a really good nap -- and sweet dreams for later. :sleep:
 
Ohhhh.....my......I need to send you a bushel basket of big ol' (((((HUGS))))). Don't ever hesitate to come here and give a little whine. We understand. Sometimes there is nothing to be done but just try to be patient. As long as you're resting, icing, and taking what meds you can then the only other remedy is a little sympathy for the spot you're in right now. But, it won't last. Honest....it's temporary. And once the healing gets going, you'll start to feel better. Hang in there and nap as much as possible. Sleep makes the time go by in addition to being the best time for healing to take place.
 
Hope you don't mind, I had to giggle at the mental picture you painted for me in your last post. Hehe......we gotta laugh, if we don't we'll cry and laughing is better for recovery. These restrictions can put us in some tight spots for sure and I know a few times I was sure glad no one was around watching. Haha....seems like stomach issues just have to pop up to add insult to our injuries. I know it did for me. Hope you are feeling better now. Best wishes for a peaceful night.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@CanukTriMom Oh boy, you have really had a tough couple of days. Jamie is right, there are times you just need some sympathy, a place to vent and a shoulder to lean on. Having an upset stomach is the absolute worst!

I really hope you get a good sleep tonight ~ getting rested solves so many of the little problems and frustrations. Isn't it strange how you can sleep like a log in the day and like **** at night?
 
Oh, I hope you get a good sleep @CanukTriMom Cheryl!
I remember the coldness I felt ( a slight withdrawl symptom) that I put on so many blankets and comforters
and nothing worked that one night. It was awful, but passed. whew......
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom