THR Can't sleep now back home.

Finally had a shower after 3 weeks it was bliss. Did worry about how id get in and out ok but my partner was there if i needed him. It went very well, i only needed assistance getting onto dry land in the form of a hand to hold. Feel human again.

Discussed with my partner & parents that i want to be back in my house by New Years Eve with my children. That will be 5 weeks Post Op. I feel that it is a poignant time to do it.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk
 
Glad you got the shower-such a simple thing can raise our spirits. Before you know it you will be going with no assist. I think being home to bring in the New Years is a great idea.
 
Glad you got your shower 8peachY. I copied someone’s idea from bonesmart and put my waking frame half in and half out to hold onto. Are your children with you at your parents? By New Year you will be so much stronger and less vulnerable and I’m sure, ready to go home.

Can anyone tell me how to start a new thread. I have looked at instructions but can’t see a new thread button either at top or bottom of page.

About to tune into Cricket Test Match with Australia at 3am whilst waiting for these tiresome but not painful muscle spasms to calm down.
 
Hi @8peachY
Sounds like the hair wash scenario was a bit exhausting. How far did you walk outside? I’m in Bucks but there is still too much snow and ice hanging around to be able to safely walk outside. Frustrating. You have done the right thing to listen to your body.
I had my first physio visit. Said I was fine to be on one crutch and even no crutch, but not room to room. She has given me two sticks to practise walking with and will be back in 2 weeks. Demanded I build up to 20 repeititions with leg back, leg to side etc. But not only that, wanted them harder i.e. when I stood and slid my leg back to then lift leg off ground. Well last night, I had the leg and buttock spasms ( not painful ) for most of the night.
Needless, to say, I didn’t do any more exercises. Tonight I am up again cos of spasms, so I shall return to doing no exercises as I had been from the start!
Bit of a journey this isn’t it.

Oh, I understand your problem really well because I suffer from scoliosis.
I think that first of all you should get a more comfortable chair for feeding a baby which will help you to keep better posture and provide more relax for your spine during the day, in our case it's really important. Some people also use a gymnastic ball as an alternative https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_ball
And yeah, a standing desk https://www.primecables.com/p-35744...er-adr-for-monitor-26-35-wide-black#sku366013 it is a helpful item in this case too. Also you can use a desk riser, it's almost a similiar thing but is constructed for moving only the monitor,
not the whole desk

The main benefit of such items is that you can move freely during your working day and continue to work effectively also while you're standing. Personally I feel always so fresh again when I can change my posture
and in case of scoliosis it's important for preventing back and neck pain too. But considering your problems with spine I also highly recommend you to make at home some special exercises, there's many of them through net and with such addition you'll feel even much better
 
Great news on the shower @8peachY
First one or two are a bit scary.
I think at 5 weeks post op, handling home and children should work well.
It will be a wonderful way to ring in 2018!
Warm wishes for a great week and :merry christmas: to you and yours!
 
Well im now at 4 week Post Op. Went back home on a Test Run to see how i would be on my stairs with crutches & generally walking. It was something my Mum and Dad wanted be to do before i move out of their house and back to mine.
It went very well and they were happy too so my move back day is 27th December. Ive ordered all my food and im having it delivered.
Dad will drive me home and my children will join me the following day.
Cant wait!


Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk
 
Aww, how wonderful @8peachY
You sound very excited, it's so sweet.
First steps in regaining life as you knew it before the hip issues began. So happy for you!
What a great way to start out 2018.
Hope your holiday weekend is filled with comfort and lots of love!
 
Great news @8peachY. It will be good to be back together for the new year. :merry christmas:
 
Glad your recovery is going smoothly, what medications were you on if you don't mind me asking?
Am worried about all the stuff they advise us to get. Its difficult as i live with my mum I'm concerned about getting in the shower although its a walk in. I could probably fit a chair in there but the entrance of the shower is thin and you have to walk sideways to get in.
Have you had anyone visit you at home?
 
Sorry meant to ask how long were you in hospital?
I suppose it a individual thing .
Are you driving yet
 
Glad your recovery is going smoothly, what medications were you on if you don't mind me asking?
Am worried about all the stuff they advise us to get. Its difficult as i live with my mum I'm concerned about getting in the shower although its a walk in. I could probably fit a chair in there but the entrance of the shower is thin and you have to walk sideways to get in.
Have you had anyone visit you at home?
Hi Nicknoc,

I was in hospital from Friday to Tuesday. It wouldve been Sunday but id been sick after the Op ( nothing major though) so they kept me in.

When i left hospital i was on Gabapentin (500mg) x 3 times a day for pain relief. Naproxem (500mg) x 2 day for inflamation. In the early days i was given liquid Morphine, Codeine & Paracetomol but came of those after a week.

I didnt shower at home for the 1st 3 weeks. I used babywipes for a wash & got my mum and dad to wash my hair.

You will have to do a recce 1st around your house especially your most used rooms, bedroom, toilet, kitchen to see how you could manage with crutches.

If you have a really good read on here you will get lots of tips to help you. I certainly did.

Good luck, you will manage just call on those friends & family members that owe you a favour!!

All the best & have a good Christmas.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
 
@8peachY thanks for your reply . I've been reading peoples post op stories, I'm surprised people aren't in for longer. It seems low BP and vomiting are the cause of being in hospital longer.

Do they do the recce before or after surgery?

I suppose the only good thing is i live in a bungalow so at least I don'thave the worry of falling down the stairs

Did you get all the equipment advised?

Do you use the raised toilet seat?

Did you have the district nurse or physio come to visit you at home ?

I'm concerned about analgesia after surgery I'm on so many painkillers at the moment. I' m REALLY hoping that the replacement will take the main pain away and I won't need all of them after.

Apologies for all the questions i live with my mum at the moment I don't want her life turned upside down dye to getting all the equipment I need
 
Have a great Christmas to all Bonesmarties. [emoji318]

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @8peachY
Stopping by to say Hi....wondering how your recovery is coming along.
Hope you had a nice Christmas.
Warm wishes for a peaceful weekend and a new year filled with comfort and joy!
 
Yay for going home.
A new year...a new life without hip pain.
Wishing you all the best!
 
@8peachY thanks for your reply . I've been reading peoples post op stories, I'm surprised people aren't in for longer. It seems low BP and vomiting are the cause of being in hospital longer.

Do they do the recce before or after surgery?

I suppose the only good thing is i live in a bungalow so at least I don'thave the worry of falling down the stairs

Did you get all the equipment advised?

Do you use the raised toilet seat?

Did you have the district nurse or physio come to visit you at home ?

I'm concerned about analgesia after surgery I'm on so many painkillers at the moment. I' m REALLY hoping that the replacement will take the main pain away and I won't need all of them after.

Apologies for all the questions i live with my mum at the moment I don't want her life turned upside down dye to getting all the equipment I need
Hi Nicknoc,

Hope you had a good Christmas, sorry only just getting back to you but its been mad busy now im home with the kids.
In answer to your questions.
Before i went on my Pre Op appintment i was given a form to complete requiring measurements of my dining chair, settee,bed and toilet.
The hospital provided me with a toilet raiser, shoe horn and grabber. I had to buy a sock aid (helps put socks on) and raisers for my settee ( about £20). You can get all this online too.
On the pre op they wanted the measurements and arranged delivery of the toliet raiser, grabber and shoe horn for before the op.
After the op they wanted everything in place at home and wanted to know who would be looking aftef me.
I had one visit from the District Nurse about 2 -3 weeks after op to remove dressing and check on wound.
I had some brief Input from a Physio at the hospital but that was it.
I have reduced my meds down to Gabapentine and im being weaned off this too as i dont need it. (Im now approaching 6 weeks post op)

Hope you have a good start to the New Year. Stay in touch if you can.



Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @8peachY
Stopping by to say Hi....wondering how your recovery is coming along.
Hope you had a nice Christmas.
Warm wishes for a peaceful weekend and a new year filled with comfort and joy!
Hi Layla and Mojo,

Im approaching 6 weeks post op on friday. Been tiring looking after the boys but so glad im home.
Down to min meds which im weaning off (Gabapentine)
Im down to a cain too and can walk up & downstairs with hand rail only.
Onward and upward.
Happy New Year to you.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk
 
Six weeks really is still very early...keep on taking baby steps which will add up to big strides in your recovery.
With energy drain so in full effect, no doubt you must get weary when there are others that you have to see about.
Your positive attitude will see you through.:ok:
Happy New Year Peachy, and don't forget to keep icing and resting when you are able.:ice:
 
Last edited:
@8peachY hope you had a nice Christmas and New year. Thanks for the info I appreciate it . I hate not knowing, I also don't have spare money to spend on needless equipment.
I would like to keep in touch to follow your recovery as we are the same age and are both in UK. Hope you're recovery is going well.
 
Back
Top Bottom