THR Candi's hip journey - two THR and a revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting @Josephine. Any reason why it wouldn't have broken straight away or just may have taken a particular movement to trigger a break?

I am in the pre-op area. Just had blood tests and ecg. It's quiet in here which is good. Have a bit of a headache. May be from dehydration and slept on two pillows last night instead of one and my neck is a little sore.

Spoke with anaesthetist. He is the one I had for my first thr. I said what didn't work last time with norspan patch making me sick and two endone making me sick so he changed the patch to a different one and happy to have one endone at a time.

Saw the PT I had for my first THR and she was surprised to see me back. I don't have her as my PT this time, I have the guy I had for the second one. He was nice too.

Just sitting waiting. Probably go in around an hour or so.

Slight nerves every now and then but I'm be fine. Looking forward to something to eat and a cup of tea when I get out



29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016
 
Me too.

I'm sorry, I assumed you'd had a plastic cup but I've been told it was ceramic - is that correct?
Can't imagine a ceramic cup breaking - not these days.
 
Yes it was ceramic josephine. Ceramic ball on ceramic cup lining.
Has been replaced with plastic which my surgeon said won't break but will wear down sooner than ceramic would.

Saw my surgeon this morning, he put some more local anaesthetic in the catheter in the wound site and hen removed the catheter. He said it all went well and that it took longer than the initial surgery to ensure he found all of the pieces floating around in there. Said it was broken up into lots of pieces. No wonder i had a crunchy sensation.

Was pretty nauseous last time but it has settled today and I have kept down breakfast and lunch.

Been for two walks and the bed exercises are going well. All my exercises I had been doing must have helped with the muscles.

Have had a few nurses who recognised me but some new ones too. All nice. Seems to be a spot for chatting right outside my door which is annoying but luckily I have headphones.

Surgeon said he cut out the old scar as it was quite thickened. I do tend to get thickened scarring.

Hoping to go home Sunday. Might be ready by Saturday but my husband won't be home Saturday night so I'd prefer to wait one more night.

How everyone is doing well! Xx


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
Congrats for getting through and sounding so well, @dandy_candi! And you are walking and everything -- just, wow! Incredible that the ceramic cup broke into so many pieces, and good that the surgeon found them all. May this be the final chapter in your hip odyssey, with an excellent recovery. :)
 
Said it was broken up into lots of pieces.

Would be interesting what the manufacturer has to say about this. With just part of the implant failing so hard it is difficult to imagine a surgeon's error causing just the cup liner to shatter but no other discomforts prior to the incident (which does not seem to be the case). You happen to know what brand/kind of ceramic that liner was made of? And I read that he just replaced the damaged liner and left the cup untouched. Very bad luck anyways.
 
Hi Candice - @dandy_candi - So sorry you had bad luck with your cup. But I'm also very happy you recovered so fast from your revision: Walking and all that. May you be able to go home soon, be all right and no more revisions.

A ceramic cup that broke up into lots of pieces? That should never happen today. Maybe it would be good to find out what the manufacture was. I have a ceramic cup and a titanium stem with ceramic lining. As Josephine says and also from my experience, ceramic cups are supposed to be very robust and shouldn't fail. Many of us play tennis or practice long-distance running.

Anyway, I hope you'll get better and better from now on - all the best - Constanze
 
Sending you positive thoughts and wishing you a super speedy recovery

:fingersx: :praying:
 
Dandy candi I was just reading your post again I saw what happened and I do have to say you handled all this like a trooper.:curtsey: and your still going well. I had a bad infection in my left hup replacement and I really cried all the time wish I had a pinch oh your strength an courage take care and bless you sending big hugs and good vibes for recovery.:angel::flwrysmile:
 
@dandy_candi I am so sorry to hear this! I can't believe it just broke so soon!! As many others have stated this needs to be reported to the manufacturer! You are keeping bright and positive so keep it up! I hope you are feeling better!
 
@dandy_candi So glad to read that your surgery went well. Hopefully, since you are an pro at this by now, your recovery will be a easier road. :)
 
He said it all went well and that it took longer than the initial surgery to ensure he found all of the pieces floating around in there. Said it was broken up into lots of pieces.

Wow!! That is amazing - not in a good way though. That would be picture worthy! I hope that you are on your way home soon...
 
Maybe I am wording it wrong- the part that is in my bone is fine, just needed a new liner cup. I tried to look for an image to explain which part it is but it won't upload. So the acetabulum insert is fine but the ceramic lining to this is what broke. The femoral head didn't need replacing and the stem also had no issue.

Yes I am surprising myself with how I am dealing with it all! It's surprising how much more you can deal with things when you aren't in huge amounts of pain.

Thank you all for your well wishes. It is great to know I have all you guys rooting for me! I have found a colouring app on my iPad and have been doing that instead of watching boring day time television.

All good today. Bit more swelling and had a burning sensation on the side of my thigh which nurses have said could be nerve related because of swelling or could be from blood pooling in the area. It's pretty uncomfortable so hoping it decreases whatever it is.

Have some lovely nurses and friendly staff which makes the stay better. It's the end of post op day 2. Staying tonight and again tomorrow night. Should be ready to go home tomorrow but with hubby away for the night I'd prefer to be here as would all the doctors j have mentioned it to.

Getting sleepy, more updates soon.


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
I am so sorry to hear that your acetabular cup liner shattered. I have read that is a possibility with ceramic on ceramic implants but that it takes a lot of force to break it. You were so lucky your physiotherapist was alert to the fact that your implant had failed and also that he had pushed to get you an early appointment with your OS. I have read that one of the reasons for ceramic implant failure is that the surgeon has placed the acetabular cup at the wrong angle causing stress and wear and tear when you walk. I wonder if that is the case. I hope that is not happened in your the case because if it were and he only replaced the liner and not the whole cup there could be the possibility of it happening again. Then again maybe not if he is replacing it with a plastic liner.

Anyway I hope your revision hip replacement continues to improve without any further complications.

Wishing you all the best from another Aussie.

I also have ceramic on ceramic. I sure hope that does not happen to me.
 
Thanks @Grannyhippy - my right hip is still ceramic on ceramic and was done 6 weeks before the other one. I have had no problems with that one - knock on wood.
Just the luck of the draw!

I did mention that I am kind of glad I had this happen now and not next year because I have a yearly excess on my health insurance and it would have been another $250 if it had happened next year but because my
Other surgeries were already this year and I paid the excess I have less fees! (My surgeon isn't charging over what the health insurance covers but I have to pay for anaesthetic and potentially the assistant surgeon).

I will have to have a look back over your posts @Grannyhippy and catch up now I have the time!


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
Sounds like you are doing great @dandy_candi ! Can you ask the nurses for ice? That might address that burning sensation.
 
Have had ice on constantly @Jaycey they are great about that here.

It decreased a bit after I had some endone so guessing it's not a nerve. Will keep up the icing and resting!


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
:hi:@dandy_candi - you sound so on top of this. What a storm trooper you are! You have all our warmest wishes for a swift recovery (you truly are a veteran now).
Hope homecoming will be welcome - you know the ropes - take it steady, be patient and happy healing :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom