THR Candi's hip journey - two THR and a revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
@dandy_candi
I also had a more difficult recovery with hip #2 because the epidural they used this time for pain control was not positioned correctly, so the wrong hip was being numbed for three days! I'm happy they finally got your pain under control. Sometimes I think some OS's have a control issue and that may be why he had to do it his way. You're right, even though I had a private room and did not have to endure what you went through, I couldn't wait to get home because the nurses were in and out of my room nonstop. Exhausting to say the least! I also had a screamer not far from my room, yelling HELP! It was very unnerving! Then there was an armed disgruntled boyfriend who stormed in to our floor, which resulted in a swat team flooding the hallways! :yikes: There were two nurses in my room at the time, but they just told me to "stay put" (like I was able to dash off to the emergency exit on day one post-op) and closed my door. Thankfully hubby was there so I felt a LITTLE safer. The man was later arrested and his backpack was filled with drugs and a revolver.

Can't wait for your next update and to find out about your ER trip! Yikes!
 
Congrats on the second hip!
My second surgery and hospital stay wasn't as easy as the first (no armed intruders though!) but the weeks after have been much easier - I hope you've had the same!
 
So happy to read number 2 hip is done and dusted! As we always say - every THR is different even on the same person. Get that icing and elevating going to control the swelling. Rest prescribed in large doses!
 
Amazing the difference a good nursing staff can make. Glad to hear from you. Hoping things get easier from this point out.
 
Hi @dandy_candi - Congratulations for your second hip replacement. I'm so glad to hear from you, but sorry the second hospital was rather rough. Now you can recover properly because both hips have been fixed. I wish you good luck and do keep us up-to-date about how you're getting on here on Bonesmart. - Best wishes - Constanze
 
Hi everyone.
Sorry for the absence from the site. Just getting on with everything really!

So I am 3 months out From my first hip and 2 months out from my second. All is going pretty well, left is a bit slower to come good but getting there. Bit more muscle weakness and I am using my upper body to sort of swing my hip instead of using the glutes which are still a bit weak. Working with PT on that.

So for an update on the emergency room situation. So I was having some wheezing and shortness of breath in the hospital. I mentioned it to one of the nurses and she said she would come back and check but forgot and it went away so I forgot too. Then, when I got home, day 5 post thr, and day 2 home I had more wheezing and shortness of breath. I have never had this before. I was on an anti-inflamm that I wasn't on for the first surgery so I thought it could be this, or a reaction to pain meds. By around 10pm and about ready for bed it hadn't gone away so I called nurse on call and they said it could be a blood clot and to go to emergency. We live about 45 mins from our regional hospital so it was quicker for my husband to drive than to get an ambulance. I had a phone number for my ward at the hospital so I called that just to be sure and the nurse remembered me and said I should go and this is not a 'sleep on it and go tomorrow' situation but they will just do some scans and check it's not a blood clot in the lungs.

So off we go in horrible Foggy weather. Get to the hospital and once I get to a bed I am seen by a slightly grumpy nurse who went on a break in the glass walled tea room right in front of me for about 20 minutes and I had to push my buzzer to remind him he was getting me pain meds and some ice. Waited for a few hours and finally had a doctor come and say we could do X-ray but machine to test lungs wasn't operational until at least 10am Next day. Said if it was a clot that I would just take medication to break it up.

So hubby went home and after about another hour I was taken to short stay ward where I didn't get much sleep due to the lady with bronchitis coughing all night. Next day hubby came back around 11 when I was meant to have had my test but we sat around for a few more hours, having the test around 1pm after a bland lunch that was gluten free despite me requesting it (also same for breakfast- requested GF and got some rice bubbles - like rice crispies- although made of rice. These aren't GF)
Had test and was waiting for results. By 4pm the nurses walked to the testing area to get the results as they weren't being sent though. They were all clear so I was sent home.

Follow up with my GP said it could be scarring in my lungs from medication use for 17 years or could be low blood due to blood loss from surgery. Did some tests and said to eat lots of iron and come back if not better in a week. I did as directed and rested and are w


29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016
 
Cont.

Rested and ate well and felt better.

Better get some sleep now, will come check in later xx


29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016
 
Gosh @dandy_candi , you really went through the ringer! So much for efficient staff and trying to get you treated! Hope all has eased now. Please do keep us updated!
 
OMG!! You poor thing! Sorry that your regional hospital wasn't good - that is lousy. It can be so frustrating when you go through emergency - they tell you what it 'isn't' but you don't find out what the problem actually is *sigh*

I hope you get to the bottom of it soon. It sounds like you are doing all the right things.

How has life been since your THR's?? What activities have you really noticed the difference?
 
Thanks guys. Yes I am back to my normal level of health which is managing my Rheumatoid while recovering.

So I am finding now that I am doing a bit more that I might get a bit tired and sore during the day but by the end of the day I am just tired, not ridiculously exhausted like I used to be. The pain used to build up through the day and I'd be in agony by the end of the day, unable to sleep. That pain is gone because there is no bone grinding on bone any more. What pain I get now is more muscle fatigue and tired leg and back muscles.

I am still building up my endurance and will always have issues with energy levels because of my RA but the physical exhaustion has gone.

As so many have said before me, I wish I had Done it sooner. I was in agony as just pushing through, working myself to the bone, literally! but now I look back at the constant pain I was in and just wonder what took me so Long. Yes, it was a financial and emotional choice but I wish I had gone to the surgeon sooner and I could have avoided years in agony and misery.

It's the best thing I have done and I constantly catch myself thinking how good it is to not have pain, it's so novel!

Wishing you al well and thank you for reading.


29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016
 
Thank you so much for sharing your story and part of your life with us all @dandy_candi - I wish you continued healing and hope that you continue to blossom in your gorgeous part of Victoria!
 
Thanks @JMACCA :) I am happy to share my story. I had gotten a little tired of talking about myself as whenever I see someone I haven't seen in a while I feel like its all I talk about and I am not the sort of person to talk about myself all the time. But I am happy to share my story with such a wonderful and supportive community whose stories and accounts of their journey's have assisted me so much in preparing for this.
Wow, your surgeries are so close together, I will have to read up on your posts of how it all came to be!
Have a lovely day x
 
LOL @dandy_candi you will bore yourself stupid with my posts! All you need to know is that I am super excited about it all - not long now, can't wait!

I need to make the most of the 6 weekends that I have left though - plenty of dyeing of fabric and prep work to be done so I can make the most of crafting while I am laid-up. Hopefully we get some more sunny weather!
 
@dandy_candi - how lovely to have your update. Just sorry that you had that worrying hiccup but relieved for you it was all resolved. It is marvellous to read what a big difference this has made to your life and I know we all share your joy as you had such a lot to juggle what with RA as well. Thank you for catching up.

@JMACCA - soon be your turn. Have watched and followed your pain. You must be getting excited that this will all be a thing of the past before too long.
 
So turns out everything isn't so good. I had a strange popping sensation in my lower back yesterday. All the muscles started getting sore and I started using crutches to take the weight off. It wasn't painful so I thought I would go to bed and see if it was better today.

So I just woke up not long ago and it's worse. There is massive squeaking in my hip replacement with any movement. I have ceramic on ceramic. I have the mobile/cell number of my PT so I messaged him and sent him a video and he says he thinks my implant has failed and to not weight bear and get onto my surgeon asap. It's Sunday so he won't be working. I think I have my ward number I was in when I had my surgery so I will try and call them and See if he is on call.

It doesn't hurt but it doesn't feel smooth and squeaks really loud.
Freaking out a bit. I haven't gotten out of bed but I have to go to the toilet. Don't have a bed pan so I have to get up. My husband will be home from work in a minute and we will call the hospital.

I will keep you updated.


29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016
 
Oh No!!! Im so sorry! I am crossing my fingers that it is not a failure and there is some easy fix. :fingersx:
 
Oh my, I hope everything will be good. So sorry you are going through all that. I will be praying for you.
 
Thank you @Tweetybrd and @Dust.

My surgeon wasn't on call. The nurse at the hospital said to rest and call my surgeon first thing tomorrow. I am pretty sure Monday and Wednesday's are my surgeons operating days so hope he can get me in asap.

Thank goodness for having my physio on text message. Just having someone telling me what to do helps. Hubby has been really good and can take tomorrow off work.

It's his brothers 30th birthday tomorrow and party on the weekend, not likely going to that! I have been resting on the couch but got up before and had some sharp pain in my outer thigh which I hadn't had yet so just staying off my feet unless I am going to the bathroom.

Just taking things as they come and not stressing. I have a little bit of pain meds left if I need them.

Thanks for all your thoughts and well wishes xx


29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom