THR Candi's hip journey - two THR and a revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
@dandy_candi, it's upsetting to have these odd sensations, and pain and worry that something serious is wrong. Hope you get some answers soon, and it's good you are resting as much as possible and trying not to stress. Sending you all of my best wishes for a swift resolution and speedy recovery! ♥︎ ♥ ♥︎

Thank you @Krista - I know you have been through a lot in your recovery.
I think it's not stressing me too much as there isn't much pain and I have a lot of trust in my surgeon.
Still concerning as I had just started to feel better and was feeling good at work. But just rolling with the punches atm and trying not to worry.

29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016

@dandy_candi - oh dear friend am so sorry you're going through this. Yes, please take it easy and let's hope your OS will be able to sort out whatever it is really quickly. Be assured you are in my thoughts and please keep us updated. :console2:

So I called my surgeons office this morning and the receptionist booked me in for Thursday. She didn't seem to get my urgency, I am not good at asserting myself.
But my PT said he would get onto my surgeon if I didn't get an appointment asap. So I contacted him and he worked his magic and I got an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow, just at a different office.

It's a bit further to drive but with an hour to get there, what's another 30 minutes?

I have an X-ray at 9am and will see the doctor when he can see me after 10.

I am feeling quite warm. My feet are freezing but I'm sweating up a storm. I'm guessing because there is trauma in my hip my body is reacting to this.
I do hope it's not because of an infection.

Will keep you updated.

Based on my symptoms I described to my PT he thinks the cup has been displaced. This will require a revision. He says this may all happen quickly so I am preparing by taking my hospital bag along with me tomorrow just in case.

Still feeling positive but bored of tv already haha

29 year old from Aus

But just rolling with the punches atm and trying not to worry.
Good one and great outlook! You are in good hands. Please take care of you! Have you got someone who can help you around the house - I guess hubby will be home soon...

I have an X-ray at 9am and will see the doctor when he can see me after 10.

Make sure you keep us posted...GREAT idea about having your 'go' bag ready. I really hope they can sort this out for your soon and it doesn't require too much intervention...

BIG HUGS !

Oh dear @dandy_candi , I'm so sorry this happened to you and wish you a lot of luck and that your surgeons will be able to put it right as soon as possible. Hugs - Constanze

Fingers crossed you get this sorted quickly! Good idea about taking what you might need in the hospital.

Yes - going prepared is a good idea. We're all watching and waiting for an update when you can post. Thinking of you.

Happy you are getting seen so soon, with the x-ray planned beforehand, too. Whatever it is, you will be getting the attention and treatment that you need!

Thanks for all the well wishes! I have seen my surgeon today and as soon as he saw the X-ray he knew what it was. The cup has cracked and needs replacing.

So it requires surgery- a revision which will involve going back in at the same site as the first incision, removing all of the broken pieces and replacing the cup with a new one. Plastic this time instead of ceramic. If the head of the ball has been damaged he can also swap that out but the stem doesn't need to be removed.

He said that we won't be likely to know what caused it. He said the cup will be sent away to be analysed but every time it comes back the cause is surgeon error and he has talked to colleagues who have had the same feedback.

I wasn't doing any hard impact running or anything (the complete opposite actually!) and have the exact implant in my first thr with no issues so will never know I guess.

The surgeon says it needs to be addressed soon so would be either tomorrow or next Wednesday as his assistant would need to move someone else to fit me in. [emoji20] I feel bad for that, but I would understand if my surgery had to be changed it would be for a good reason.

I got a call back this afternoon and am booked in for surgery tomorrow at 10am.
I am ready to go but a little bit frustrated that I am back at the beginning again.
I understand I need to do this and am rolling with what I have to do but I was just getting back on board at work and physically was going well so it feels kinda crazy to go back again.
And I just sold my electric armchair a few weeks ago!! darn hahaha

Oh well, I'll get there. My husband and I were talking today and decided we probably won't buy an investment property as we had previously discussed and will just keep saving. Not having financial stress when we don't need it is important and has been imperative to my ability to cope lately so I think this is a good step.
The less stress the better. I just have to think of this year being a recovery year [emoji5]️

29 year old from Aus

Can someone change the title of my thread - not sure who - @jacey or @Poppet ??

to : candi's hip journey - two THR and a revision.

29 year old from Aus

Oh @dandy_candi - I am so sorry you are having to deal with this! :bawl: Boy, I sure would want to know what caused this! It's not like you are a big person or running marathons on that hip. It takes a lot to break these things!

Anyway - good luck today! We are here for you again. See you here soon!

BTW - I changed your thread title for you.

@dandy_candi - thank you for keeping us informed. Big disappointment for you and we all share your concern about what caused this to happen. Crossing everything for you that all goes smoothly - you know the ropes now so just a bit more of what you're familiar with. As you say, it's your recovery year - and 2017 will be a brand new start.

Oh dear, @dandy_candi, how very unfortunate for you! Best wishes for this revision surgery. How nice that they can do it so quickly to fix that broken cup, as that means fewer days of waiting in pain. I am impressed with your PT for his guess about a displaced cup. Your frustration is completely understandable, as this is throwing a major wrench into your life, just when you thought you were well on the road to recovery. Not to mention the risks of another surgery. We are all cheering you on!

Dandi Candi,
Hope you are on the other side and doing well. Sending positive thoughts your way.

PS - You post op reading is on page one, post #9.

@dandy_candi Wow! I am so glad your PT was able to get your appt pushed up and that the surgeon can get you right in. I hope it all goes well and I am sending positive thoughts your way for another good recovery. Hang in there! :)

The likelihood is that when the surgeon put it in, he either used too much force with the hammer or set it at an angle - or both. Polyethylene is not indestructible and can be damaged by inappropriate force. But the manufacturer won't feel free to give this opinion as they weren't there at the time. I know I wasn't there either but I've seen it happen a few times and heard consultants lecture their registrars about this very thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks