THR Candi's hip journey - two THR and a revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @missmuffet .
I can definitely tell the difference of having better muscle condition pre-op. It wasn't possible before my other ops due to the pain and bad joints. I haven't had the heavy 'log' leg feeling and can do all of the exercises with ease. Even walked easily with one crutch. Shows that if you are able to do pre-op exercises they can really help.

My friend is coming to hang out with me today and bringing her laptop to do some work. She is moving interstate soon so will enjoy the time just chilling before she goes. Then I miss out on my brother-in-laws 30th party on the beach tonight but that can't be helped. Hubby is staying in the city overnight so can pick me up tomorrow, which encourages him not to drink too much which is good [emoji39]

Hope your all having a good day.


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
I am going well. Came home yesterday (day 4 post op). It's good to be home. I do miss the food and tea delivery service though [emoji39] and I had some of my favourite nurses by the end of my visit so that was good too.

Home Sunday. Had a nap and Slept pretty well during the night too. Hubby has been so good, he deserves a medal after this year. He's a keeper [emoji7] it's our 3 year wedding anniversary in a few weeks. I am glad I had gotten him a little gift just before I stopped working again. Good timing we go on holidays to the town we got married in and stay in the same hotel a lot and they have a day spa there and the scent of the aromatherapy always reminds us of holidays and we were going to buy some of the oil but the shop was closed. I called up the spa and asked what oil they burned most often and she told me. The spa is a chain and there is one near where my friend lives so I asked her to grab one for me. I will see if my sister can grab me an oil burner to go with it.

My hip is going pretty well. I have much more flexibility than the last surgeries and less pain overall. Keeping the ice up and resting. My PT is coming today at 2pm. He has been vital in my treatment and getting me into the surgeon so soon so will be good to catch up with him and get feedback on my current status.

My left hip had been slower to recover and wasn't responding as well to PT as the right one did and I wonder now if the cup was out of place the whole time?

Hope you are all well. I will update after seeing my PT. [emoji4][emoji272]


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
Interesting thought, @dandy_candi, that maybe the reason for your slower recovery this time was because the cup was out of place from the time of the surgery. X-rays should tell the tale on that one. Very happy to hear that you are feeling pretty well. Looking forward to your next update!
 
Physio came today- he said I'm doing really well and that it's the best result he's seen for a revision. He was genuinely surprised how well I was doing and said recovery shouldn't take as long as the others based on how good I am but to still take it easy. Says my hair is better than by the end of the last recovery period and I'm only 5 days post op. This furthers my supports my thoughts that something was off with the THR in the first place.

The incision is a bit longer than last time too. Not sure how many staples, but maybe another 5cm or so longer than the other.

So overall that's good news [emoji4] I could tell it was better but good to have professional confirm it. Said just to relax and not over do it but likely to have shorter recovery period, might be driving by 3 weeks instead of 4 as long as I stay this good.

Time for a cuppa xx


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
*says my hip
Instead of *says my hair

Lol


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
Fabulous news @dandy_candi - really really pleased you're home and doing SO well. :cheers:
I loved that your hair is better. Worth having an operation eh?! :snork:
Keep up the good work/rest and have a smooth and happy recuperation :thumb:
 
@dandy_candi - I've been out of circulation for a bit and missed the fact that you'd had your surgery. Such good news that your "hair/hip" is doing so well! Had to chuckle at that one, but then noticed that it was posted at 1:30 AM, so a good excuse! Actually, I am of the philosophy that when our hair looks good, so does our attitude! Not an easy task when we are all cuddled up in pillows (ala 'bed-head') and concentrating on icing and elevating, but things take a turn for the better rather quickly.....in the big scheme of things. So pleased to hear that you are doing well.
 
Isn't she just such a brilliant example! And quite agree @Nana2-8 - hair or hips being fixed makes a big difference to how we feel. As far as bed head is concerned, one of the Smarties suggested earlier in the year that a silk pillowslip not only makes your hair shine but means less liklihood of muzzed hair in the morning. I've always longed to wake up like a filmstarlet in the morning (doesn't happen) :yikes: so I ordered one. It is so comforting. The hospital say I can take my own pillow when I go in - so it is top of the packing list. A girl's gotta look her best - despite oxygen up her nose, BP cuff, drip and snappy booties! :chillpill:
 
@dandy_candi - I've been out of circulation for a bit and missed the fact that you'd had your surgery. Such good news that your "hair/hip" is doing so well! Had to chuckle at that one, but then noticed that it was posted at 1:30 AM, so a good excuse! Actually, I am of the philosophy that when our hair looks good, so does our attitude! Not an easy task when we are all cuddled up in pillows (ala 'bed-head') and concentrating on icing and elevating, but things take a turn for the better rather quickly.....in the big scheme of things. So pleased to hear that you are doing well.

Thank you nana - I posted in the afternoon here in Aus- it may have been 1.30am your time when I posted it. But I was pretty hazy with pain meds yesterday. Slept so much yesterday.
Yes I agree with my Freudian slip that hair is also important in feeling yourself in this whole process. I am getting my hair colour touched up this weekend so will hopefully keep me pepped up.
Woke up with a killer headache this morning - had s bit of a sore throat yesterday so hope it's not a cold or sinus thing [emoji40]

Got my puppy dog to keep me company today - he usually goes to work with hubby.
Might just do some colouring on my iPad app (best invention ever) and sleep.

The silk pillow case is a good idea @MissMuffet - I have short hair and it's always standing up in the morning. I may have to try one.

Glad to hear your staying positive with your upcoming/delayed op- have you got a new date yet?



Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
Oh my goodness, Miss Muffet......you paint such an 'interesting' picture of the waking starlet! Surely, you and I could benefit from the silk pillowslip. A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do! I touch of blush here, a dab of lip balm there.....voila! ~ That reminds me of the 3 AM hair demonstration I gave to the young nurse who arrived to help me to the bathroom and had nothing better to do than watch me 'transform' my hair=do!
 
My heart sank when I saw your new thread title but I'm so glad you've made it through your revision in such good spirits and that your recovery seems to be going well!
 
You are amazing! What an awesome attitude through this whole thing...

My left hip had been slower to recover and wasn't responding as well to PT as the right one did and I wonder now if the cup was out of place the whole time?

Interesting thought. I reckon this sounds right.

When is your follow-up with the surgeon?
 
Thanks @Zelda

@JMACCA my follow up is at 6 weeks post op so late November.


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
Feeling tired today. I am 7 days post op. I took off my fentanyl patch last night that they put on in the hospital. It was only a small dose but I think was a bit of relief as I'm a bit sorer today. Not massively.
No extreme blood loss reported so guessing it's just the healing going on. By lunch time every day since I've been home I've needed a nap. I still go to bed around 9.30 and wake up between 7 and 9am.

Little blocked up still, I might make some 'Devils on horseback' -prunes wrapped in bacon and grilled. Tastier than movicol drink [emoji39]


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
The "backed up plumbing" was the thing that I underestimated the most the first time around. Won't make that mistake again.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom