TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

@71Beetle If your husband likes Baileys he might like Carolans , I like it better and it is cheaper. Our friend is still here so I am letting them have a guys day. He decided to take hubby on a ride in his Semi and they got pulled over for speeding, luckily he didn't get a ticket. He will be leaving tonight. Tomorrow I need to see if I can get hubby in to the dentist, think he cracked a filling.
 
He only has Bailey's on his birthday and Christmas so I don't mind getting it for him. How did your hubby crack his filling? Something to do with "guys day"?
 
@71Beetle He said "he let the filling sit in there for 38 years and it got tired of sitting there". He doesn't know how he did it, just hope the dentist can fit him in tomorrow. I think the Carolans tastes better than the Baileys. I have it in cocoa on really chilly nights.
 
@tiredwife I will buy him Carolans and see if he wants to do a taste test. :) Was Steve able to get in to see the dentist?

My knee is really sore today. The muscle pain is what is getting the best of me. I can only describe it as chronic deep tissue pain. I am so tired of it. Having a bit of a pity part right now. I am in unending loop. The pain is exhausting but I don't sleep because of it and without sleep I don't heal and without healing I feel sorry for myself and by feeling sorry for myself the pains more prominent.

I know that there are others that are worse off than me, my boss for instance, but I just want my life back. The reason I had the surgery is because I was always in pain and I was not experiencing a good quality of life but with the right knee, I am worse off than I was before my surgery. I know it is only 16 weeks but from what I have heard from physio, it is too late to do a manipulation (anybody know if that is true?).

She also said that this may be the extent of the ROM I get but at least it will be less pain. Well excuse me but that is unacceptable. I did not go through this surgery to spend my life not being able to get into my car or go down the stairs or walk less than I did before the surgery! When I see my doctor in November, if I have not improved, then I will ask what the next steps are and if he cannot answer then I will need to get a second opinion on it.

Sorry for the rant it is just sooooo frustrating. If I did not have the first knee to compare it to, I would not know better but I do have something to compare it to and it is hard not to. UGH! :tantrum:

Hope everyone else is having a good day! :)
 
Sorry you are having such a hard time with this knee, and getting bad advice to boot.
You can have a MUA a year or more out from your TKR, and there are members who have gained ROM up to 18 months after TKR.
Give it time to heal, you are only 3 1/2 months out, and are doing way too much, not by choice, when you can follow the mantra, REST, ICE, ELEVATE, AND MEDICATE.

Here is some information about ROM.
ROM: it's worth the wait for ROM
ROM: it's never too late to get more ROM!
ROM (range of motion) information

And more information about MUA
MUA (Manipulation under Anaesthetic) and Adhesions
MUA: the ineffectiveness of early MUA (JBJS)

I think you need a joke from @Phil75070 .
 
@71Beetle Rants are fine, otherwise you would be keeping it bottled up and raising the BP. You still aren't that far out, and yes ROM will get better for more than a year. Steve's ROM with his first was slow coming. He says chronic deep tissue pain is what he calls stiffness. I massage his thigh muscles every night and I think it helps. It will get better. Hang in there. He says he often thinks the lack of sleep is the worse part of TKR.
 
@71Beetle Oh forgot, I got Steve to the dentist Monday morning, had an infected tooth. He has been on antibiotics and it is feeling better.
 
@Pumpkln and @tiredwife - thanks for cheering me up! Just feeling blah. Weather is dark and cold and rainy which does not help. It is supposed to be sunny this weekend. Will cut back my gardens and get them ready for the imminent winter.

@tiredwife - hoep Steve's tooth feels better soon.

How is your mom doing @Pumpkln? And how are you feeling??
 
Lisa,
I have written about my Mom on my thread, too much to repeat here. I have to stay on top of things daily.
We came home Sunday, Monday I just rested, stayed in PJ's all day. Today I went to the pool, otherwise taking it easy, then some long distance managment with Mom's care.
Tomorrow is PT, it will help with my tired sore muscles.
I hear you about the grey weather being gloomy, enjoy the sunshine this weekend.
 
@71Beetle Glad you are getting some sun shine. Hubby's knees are worse on cold wet days. We finally got a walk in yesterday. Hubby's tooth is much better. Think I will do some work on our pond today. Mint has taken it over so we are going to remove all the good plants and fish and spray the mint and let it sit all winter to see if by spring it will be mint free. We will take the gold fish to the pet shop, and get more in the spring. Enjoy working in your gardens.
 
If I must:

A married man was having an affair with his secretary. One day, their passions overcame them and they took off for her house, where they made passionate love all afternoon. Exhausted from the wild sex, they fell asleep, awakening around 8:00 pm. As the man threw on his clothes, he told the woman to take his shoes outside and rub them through the grass and dirt. Mystified, she nonetheless complied. He slipped into his shoes and drove home.

"Where have you been?" demanded his wife when he entered the house.

"Darling, I can't lie to you. I've been having an affair with my secretary and we've been having sex all afternoon. I fell asleep and didn't wake up until eight o'clock."

The wife glanced down at his shoes and said, "You lying person! You've been playing golf!".
 
@Phil75070
[Bonesmart.org] Canadian Girl's Journey
 
@71Beetle alerts have been slow and nonexistent in coming. I had mistakenly believed that many of my fellow Bone Smarties hadn't been posting and were moving on with life.

I'm sorry to hear that you are still having trouble and still are not sleeping well! It is so hard to constantly be interrupted in sleep and still be able to function somewhat at work especially when it's a long term issue! Please remember that this is the place to complain. I know that my non tkr friends are tired of my trials and tribulations with this experience so I just stop talking about it, but it's still a major part of my life right now unfortunately that I need to get it out and complain too. For me, it's reassuring that others are in a similar situation and though I'm sorry they are, it's comforting to know that I'm not alone and neither are you!

My 8th grader is going apple picking today with another family. There last name is rather unusual, but I remember it as hockey mom because it has a rather well known hockey supply company name and mum in it. I understand the jersey number issue. I know more water polo players by their number than their names. When my daughter's team plays, the names that come up first are from my son's team then I have to interpret to the girl's team. Oh well.

Enjoy the sunshine today!
 
Ole and Sven were drinking buddies who worked as aircraft mechanics in Minneapolis and one day the airport was fogged in and they were stuck in the hangar with nothing to do.
Ole said, "I vish ve had somethin ta drink!"
Sven says, "Me too. Y'know, I hear ya can drink dat jet fuel and get a buzz. Ya vanna try it?"
So they pour themselves a couple of glasses of high octane hooch and got completely smashed.
Next morning Ole woke up and is surprised at how good he feels. In fact he feels GREAT! NO hangover! NO bad side effects. Nothing!
The phone rang. It was Sven who asks "How iss you feelin dis mornin"
Ole says, "I feel great. How bout you?"
Sven says, "I feel great, too. Ya don't have no hangover?"
Ole says, "No dat jet fuel iss great stuff -- no hangover, nothin. Ve oughta do dis more often."
Sven agreed."Yeah, vell, but dere's yust vun ting."
Ole asked, "Vat's dat?"
Sven questioned, "Haff you farted yet?"
Ole stopped to think. "No"
"Vell, DON'T, 'cause I'm in Iowa
 
@dogwheels, @Phil75070, @Celle, @Ellejay, @Pumpkln, @Jozilla, @JustJeff, @suzzee2000, @busylizzie, @hopefaith, @DogLoverx3, @Nana moon 27, @Old Texan, @maryo52, @Wednesday, @robograndma, @ironman60, @kneeper, @Tamsmom, @LauraLeigh, @Mai5ie, @MCD, @jbucks, @patient 99, @Lily2450, @sibbi1123, @IrishMike, @new knee in June, @H2OPoloMom, @@tiredwife, @@msmechanic58, @@madinana, @@kneeidea63, @@CanukTriMom, @Threads, @Jane B., @amber777 (hope I am not forgetting anyone).

Hi All,

A sunny cool day in Ottawa. My middle boy is working outdoors today - hope he stays bundled up.
I have not posted much this week but it's not from lack of things going on...

I was in lockdown at my offices in downtown Ottawa on Wednesday due to the tragic shooting of a Canadian soldier at the War Memorial. It was surreal to be sure.

My eldest son has left the house again. He does not want to deal with rules in the house and feels he will be better off living with his friends. He is 19 years old so there is not much we can do but he does not have a phone, a car or any money so I expect it won't last long. I am not sure what his plans are for school but we won't be paying for next semester which is due on November 10th unless he is living in the house and showing maturity. It is tough to deal with and I have been in a funk the past couple of days because of it. I hope he will come to his senses soon.

I have made a decision to focus on building my team with my Arbonne company. I have in my sights a promotion to RVP which will put a Mercedes in my driveway. The lease on my current vehicle is up in June 2016 so I will have it by then. I am actually quite excited about this. I have done well selling the wonderful products but now it is time to make the business side happen. I do have a couple of ladies that have joined my team but they did so more for the consultant discount than to make money. That is okay too though! A good friend of mine is interested in joining me and together I know we can make this happen. If you know of anyone that is interested in creating financial freedom for themselves and their families by building an international business, I will be happy to speak to them. I will not be using BoneSmart to sell or try to convince others to join but I will keep my BS friends up to date on how I am doing. It will keep me accountable if nothing else.

My knee is no better which is frustrating. I do seem to be sleeping a bit better (with help from painkillers) with the exception of the past couple of nights but that was more worry than pain that was keeping me up. I tried my rowing machine and I can do a tiny bit on it so will try to add 30 seconds a day until I am at 5 minutes and see how I do. Something to work toward. I am finding it difficult to get up in the morning to do my physio exercises. It takes at least 30 minutes to do the exercises on one leg never mind both. I did take time off this week from any physio exercises and have not done anything since Wednesday but I find I am limping more again so I know I have to get back into it to keep my ROM up.

I am still using Para Transpo which is limiting at work and with our family life but I still cannot move from the gas pedal to the brake pedal fluidly enough to be driving in rush hour traffic. That and the fact that I cannot get into my car without a step stool keeps me relying on alternate modes of transportation. I am thankful for the service that Para Transpo offers but it sure is inconvenient at times. I have a massage booked tomorrow but have to cancel it because I cannot book a time that will get me there in time. Since my son is not home I cannot get a ride from him and my husband does not get home in time. The one person that could drive me is in Vancouver this week. There are a lot of people worse off than me so I should not complain. I am just anxious to get my life back.

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well.

Oh wait...a Halloween joke.
Why did the skeleton not go to the dance?
He didn't have any"body" to go with. :snork:
 
Hi @71Beetle

I thought I would pop by and see how you're doing? You seem to be doing just fine apart from issues with your son. Trouble is at that age they think they know it all and the grass is greener at their mates house etc. Nice to see you doing well at Arbonne, is that the skincare, makeup, anti ageing products, not dissimilar to our Avon over here? Bet you can't wait for the Merc. I'd be well proud to have that!!

I'm thrilled at you getting your promotion. You obviously have worked very hard at it and now it's paying off. Well done it's lovely to hear all your hard work is being acknowledged and realised.

You mention your knees playing up. Have you booked to see your OS again? Also have you tried icing and elevation again. It doesn't matter how long your TKR is or isn't, if it swells up, it pays you every time to elevate and ice. It's kind of my mantra now xxx

Like you say Lisa, regarding your son, he'll be home when he is in need of something. The novelty will soon wear off. It doesn't stop you from worrying though. You worry because you love him. We don't worry over someone, we don't love. You clearly love your son unconditionally and in time as he gets older he will realise this xxxx my daughter is having a few issues with her son who is 18 and thinks he's the second father in the house. He is a lovely lad but he has become very dominant and overpowering with things in the house. My daughters had to speak to him because he thinks he rules the roost alongside his dad because he's a man now (his words). He tells his sisters off like he's their parent. He won't do this in front of me. He knows I'd say something to him. His dad's had to speak to him about this and they've ended up clashing. It's a very difficult stage indeed.

He'll be back believe me. Take care Lisa, I'll pop in again soon.

Love Nana moon 27 xxx


Ooh a Halloween joke for you...Q. Why do demons and ghouls hang out?
A. Because demons are a ghouls best friend!
 
@71Beetle Seems like kids either want to move out before they are ready , they stay forever . or the keep moving in and out. Ours stayed with us forever (in their mid 20s). Our neighbor's daughter moved out at 18, she is a senior in high school. Our friends kids keep moving out then moving back in with them, then move out, then move back over and over again. I think at times we would all like to shake our kids at time!

I enjoyed the jokes!:heehee:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom