TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

@dogwheels, @Phil75070, @Celle, @Ellejay, @Pumpkln, @Jozilla, @JustJeff, @suzzee2000, @busylizzie, @hopefaith, @DogLoverx3, @Nana moon 27, @Old Texan, @maryo52, @Wednesday, @robograndma, @ironman60, @kneeper, @Tamsmom, @LauraLeigh, @Mai5ie, @MCD, @jbucks, @patient 99, @Lily2450, @sibbi1123, @IrishMike, @new knee in June, @H2OPoloMom, @tiredwife, @msmechanic58, @madinana, @kneeidea63, @CanukTriMom (hope I am not forgetting anyone).

Hello everyone,

Sorry for not posting sooner. The beginning of hockey season for our boys is a really busy time at our house. I manage two teams and my husband coaches one. Getting all of the players sorted out, doing all of the paperwork, scheduling tournaments, hosting the parent's meeting, booking team-building and fund-raising activities, etc had me heads down for the past couple of weeks. I think I finally have a handle on things though!

I have missed chatting with everyone for sure!

An update on my knee: I am coming up to 14 weeks on my right knee and 22 weeks on my left knee. The left knee is amazing. I barely think of it and can do pretty much anything with it. My right knee is still a different story. I am STILL in physio. I saw my surgeon today and he wants me to continue with it. My flexion is 103 with work and the extension is -2. He shot some cortisone in my IT Band to try to bring down the swelling so I can get better movement with it. It hurts so much just to touch the side of my leg.

I have weaned off the Hydromorphone and am currently weaning off of the Gabapentin. I still take a Hydromorphone before bed and before physio if need be and I still take Celebrex twice a day. I still cannot drive because of the pain of moving from brake to gas so I am sticking with the ParaTranspo. They have given me taxi chits to go to physio (I pay $25 for a $40 cab ride) because whenever I took Para Transpo I was late for the physio class. It is a little frustrating to be the ONLY one who has not graduated from 3 physio classes but I sure am getting to know the therapist well. We have been trading cooking recipes.

I am getting a bit bummed by all of this. Just want my life back but I know it will come and I just have to stay positive. I spent so much time saying "when I get my knees done, I will be able to____". Now I am still saying "when my knees get better I will be able to____".

On a positive note, I have lost 10 pounds on my Challenge so far. Another 10 and I will be able to fit into a couple of my favourite fall/winter suits. Right now I am mixing and matching a few select pieces but it does not give me a lot of options. I cannot wait to be able to do a full rotation on the bike and get going on my rowing machine. I think that will help a lot.

I would love to hear how everyone else is doing. I won't have time tonight to go and visit sites as I am off to bed but I will stop by to see updates soon.

Have a great night everyone!
:flwrysmile:
 
@71Beetle Hi there, good to hear from you. Sorry your right knee is being a problem child, my hubby's right is getting better but will take a lot more time than his left. Hang in there, it will get better.
 
@71Beetle
:sneaker:Just wanting to say :wave:Congratulations on your weight loss :yay: I hope your
Knee is behaving.
You certainly have your hands full with Hockey, Good Luck to your teams :)
I'm sure it's a happy kind of busy :happydance:
Take Care,
Diana :loveshwr:
 
@Pumpkln, @tiredwife, @new knee in June, @kneeper - thanks for your kind words ladies. I am sure it will all work out well. My knee is in a lot of pain due to the shot yesterday - I may be measuring 45 degrees if I am lucky. Will see what the physiotherapist has in store for me tomorrow to bring better flexion.

What a cold, wet, windy fall day in Ottawa today! I got my hair chopped off last weekend so I ended up looking like a wet poodle when I went outside. I now wish I had just left my hair alone. Now I have to work to get it longer again. Not sure why I do this to myself but I do it quite regularly. :) Better to change my hair than change my husband. A little change is always good and it always grows back. I just needed to shake things up a bit. I am getting it coloured this weekend (highlights and lowlights) for a more autumn look.

We have hockey tonight at 9:00 - 10:00 pm. I find this late for 13 and 14 year old boys but it is better than the 6:00 practices we had to endure when they were in the 5 to 9 year age bracket. I will be missing Criminal Minds so will have to PVR it. Anyone have thoughts on Jennifer Love-Hewitt joining the cast? I don't see her in the role but will give it some time to perhaps get used to her. As long as they don't have any relationship start between her and Morgan. That would be the end to that show. :)

Well gotta run. Have a great night!
 
Hi @71Beetle . You are a busy, busy lady! I'm sorry you're in pain today. I'm a little worried that you're in such pain from the shot and it's affected your ROM so much. I wonder if ice or heat would help. You might want to tag Josephine to get her thoughts about the injection. My apologies for not having read back to see if this has already been discussed, I've just not heard of a cortisone injection causing more pain and less flexion.

As for the hair....I used to do the same thing all the time. Well, not for your husband. ;-) I am not someone who looks good with short hair and as my foot-in-mouth mother used to tell me 'long hair works better with my face'. Now, while I'm sure she was talking about the shape of my face, she always made it sound like I should have long hair to cover up my face. ;-) I've finally learned to stop cutting it. Now I just screw around with the color (and usually manage to mess that up to). You're right though. Hair will always grow back!

Good luck with hockey season! xoxoxox
 
@71Beetle That's funny, I am watching Criminal Minds on Netflix right now! I'm still on their earlier episodes.
Let us know how PT goes!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey stranger. Criminal Minds is getting a bit gruesome even for me. I also don't think JLH fits the role.
I buzz my hair in the summer because it is so thick & gets hot. My wife likes it long so I grow it for the winter.
I don't mess with the color. It is Whiter than White. The guys at work called me the human Q Tip.
It once was Browner than Brown but life happened. :scare:
Hope your knee feels better soon. The Hockey kids here pay a lot to play & travel all over the state & even to Minnesota. It is grueling.
 
I only watch Criminal Minds on occasion--it's usually too creepy for me. But I can't see JLH on it.
 
@ConnieJOS I love Criminal Minds, my husband asked me if he should be worried, LOL because I watch so many of those type and real crime shows. Jennifer Love-Hewitt from Ghost Whisperer.
 
Oh, @tiredwife , I think she just came on recently didn't she. We haven't seen many episodes of the new season, just a few, but I have seen her on there. We mostly watch the reruns on ION tv.
 
Hi Everyone. Love the thoughts on Criminal Minds. I have watched it since the first season. I always say I watch Shemar Moore and Criminal Minds just happens to be on. :) I have four it gets darker and darker every season. Especially since they rated it 18+ (not sure what that is in the US and UK). I still enjoy it.

Tonight I am at home watching the Ottawa Senators 1-0 against Nashville. My middle boy has hockey but my hubby took him. It is rare that I miss a game but I have been fighting a stomach bug the past couple of days so I am in my pjs sitting on my bed chatting with you all and watching the game. Sometimes I think I am obsessed with hockey. As soon as the weather changes, I am counting the days until puck drop. Between our boys' games and the Sens games, I watch so much hockey. If the Sens aren't playing, I sometimes put a Montreal game on. Sheesh. I just saw a commercial that referred to hockey season as the 5th season. I concur.

So I had physio today. I am 100 and -1 on the right and 124 and 0 on the left. My IT Band and glutes are still really tight so I have to work on that. I have two more sessions and then I am going to take a break and try it on my own. I will book a follow up with my physiotherapist in a month.

Hi @DogLoverx3 - I have been icing and elevating. I used to have pain in the injection site and experience pain for a day when I used to get cortisone shots in my knees before surgery. I think yesterday I was just extra sensitive.
How are you doing??

Hi @ironman60 - colleagues sure have a way of making us feel more grounded don't they? That is one thing I like about my job The bantering that goes on. It's nice that you take your wife's likes into consideration and let it grow in the winter. Sounds like a good marriage :)

Speaking of work, I had coffee with an old acquaintance that works in a major Consulting Firm. As we were chatting, he was sending off a vibe that the company may be looking for someone with my experience. So I let him know that I would be interested in entertaining something. Now I am excited. He said they would have to create a new role so it may take some time but it feels good to know that my expertise is valued somewhere else. With my boss away most of the time, I get very little support or recognition at my work now and I am still smarting over how I was treated with time off for my surgeries. So if this one does not work out - but I am confident it will with time - I will look elsewhere. I am not interested in going to another recruiting firm but moving to a consulting firm would be a good step. I am not interested in being a recruiter which a lot of people my industry do. My strength is in consulting and deals and this is what I would be looking to do wherever I go. It is also the type of role the consulting firm would be looking at creating for me if all goes well.

Well, my eyes are starting to get heavy. I am going to turn off the light and lay down to watch the third period. It is now tied. I hope the Sens take it so I don't have to deal with overtime.

Good Night All!
:flwrysmile:
 
@ConnieJOS I haven't seen the new ones either, I started watching it on Netflix and am still on the older ones.

@71Beetle Always nice to know you are appreciated, maybe it is time to change jobs!
 
@71Beetle
It's good you have lots to keep you busy with your boys hockey.

Your flex and extension sound good to me but I am not very experienced with this being 5 weeks post op myself.

Happy thanksgiving to you and yours!

Trish


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom