Guest viewing is limited

TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

@tiredwife - are you starting from season 1 of Criminal Minds. You will find that at about season 7 or 8 things get weirder and darker. I always wonder what type of people write this stuff. You can tell some of the stuff does from newspaper headlines but beyond that, some depraved minds must be thinking this up. :yikes:

@amber777 Hi Trish. Congratulations on 5 weeks. 100 is not so bad but considering I was at 85 - 90 coming out of the hospital 14 weeks ago, it's not a good thing. Patience is not a virtue of mine and if I had nothing to compare it to, I may be okay but the knee I had done in May healed a lot quicker and differently. I just want to get on with my life! :bored:

My sister lives in Calgary. Beautiful place. Are you a native of the city or did you move there for work like so many others do. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving as well!

Our boys' hockey is going well. My middle boy scored the only goal last night. First game of the season. Not bad! He was disappointed that he did not get the number 8 this year. He has been number 8 since he was 8 (he is now 15). Now I will be cheering some other mom's boy when number 8 scores on his team. Our youngest boy has always been number 8 so it made it easy as parents to know which one was ours regardless of what team we were watching. It will take some getting used to for sure. Go #12!

It will be a busy weekend this weekend with hockey, hair appointment, Thanksgiving dinner and my husband's birthday. We are closing the pool and bringing in all of the outdoor furniture and I'll try to do some more in my gardens to get them ready for winter. I have already brought in all my planters and will winter them over in the garage. I have a bunch of spikes that I saved from a friend's garbage 4 years ago and I have developed them into some amazing plants.

My nephew is a certified horticulturist. Last year I sent him a picture of one of my gardens that I was not happy with. He developed a wonderful plan that incorporated my favourites (day lilies and sedum) with some other nice ideas. I cannot wait to sink my teeth, or hands, into that project next year. I worry a lot about not being able to kneel in my gardens but I guess I will have to see how it goes. Once I know I can kneel, I will then get back into yoga.

So much to look forward to....but right now I am looking forward to getting some sleep. Have a great night everyone! :sleep:
 
Lisa, I wondered about digging holes in the garden with our new and improved knees. I've looked online for rolling carts to sit on to weed or work in the garden. I am sure they would drive me crazy. This year, before surgery, I planted our vegetable garden while sitting, or even lying flat, in the dirt.

I love to garden and I am retired. We live in New England, but a few years ago we bought a place in Florida. (We have plenty of Canadian neighbors and people from Great Britain tend to live near Orlando.)

I now get to garden all year long. We have avocado trees, palm trees, banana, orange, and lemon trees, oh joy!

Sorry, I got a bit carried away!
 
@71Beetle /Lisa
I was wondering out east how much if any physio is covered under provincial Heath care plan? In Alberta we get 7 sessions following a knee replacement. If I need more I can get a few maybe 6 from my husband extended health benefits at work.
Sounds like life is very busy for you, especially this weekend. Wish your husband a happy birthday!
Trish
 
@71Beetle Yes, I started from season 1. Don't know how many seasons Netflix has.
Sorry your son lost #8! Maybe #12 will be lucky!
Love working in the yard, wish I had an unlimited budget to do what I want. That isn't going to happen, so a little at a time.
You have a great weekend and try not to overdo it!
 
Hi @71Beetle, Happy Thanksgiving. We (US) have to wait another month & a half for Thanksgiving here.
Our gardens are going down fast. The temp. was 27 degrees Fahrenheit the last two mornings.
I think that is -2 degrees in Celsius. I did get the snow blower out & ready & the plow for the ATV. :snow plough: Hope I don't need them for a while yet. I still have a ton of leaves to take care of.
 
Hi @71Beetle - it's been a while, sorry for not popping by. Things have been busy, I have just come back from a trip to Budapest plus I am getting very few alerts ......... no real excuse, but there you are.
Hope things are going OK for you - when I get a moment I will track back and see how you are doing.

I returned from our trip with a cold/cough virus - which although annoying, is the perfect excuse to catch up here while I am sitting feeling sorry for myself.

Our land purchase is just about complete and the diggers, landscapers, tree guys and gardeners will be going in very soon now. I am so excited as our house will be right bang smack in the middle then, with lots of garden on each side, which is a luxury so near to London. Plus I will have flowers next year instead of the interminable shrubs, and my hot tub!

Its cold and wet in London and the leaves are all coming down, the ground is soggy and wet and everything is dying - although there are a lot of lovely berries on those **** shrubs! Reading @JaneB.'s post about her lovely fruit trees in Florida made me quite nostalgic for the gardens we had when we lived in Indonesia - so very different from UK. But as I have already told @tiredwife - I am an armchair gardener as everything I touch in the garden, promptly dies - so I conduct operations from a distance!
:sneaker:

Off to catch up elsewhere Lisa - take care and talk soon

XXX
 
Hi Everyone!

Hope you all had a nice weekend. Happy Thanksgiving to all of the Canadians and Happy Columbus Day to the Americans! We had a busy weekend - hockey, Thanksgiving and my hubby's birthday. My mom came over on Sunday morning and we spent the day getting dinner ready and visiting. Dad joined us mid afternoon and we had a wonderful meal. I overdid it and by the time dinner came I was buckling from the pain. I took it easy after dinner (thankful that the entire family pitched in to help clean the kitchen). I was feeling better the next day so I made up some turkey stew with all of the left overs. We then took my hubby out for his birthday. It was definitely a lot of overeating. Right back on the program today. I hope I didn't do too much damage on the scale!

@Jane B. - it would be nice to garden all year for sure. In the winter, I pay more attention to my indoor plants. I will repot some and split some over the winter. I bring a lot of my potted plants in from outside and let them winter over. I have been successful with keeping spikes and geraniums for over 4 years now. Gardening in Florida must be a lot different than it is in Massachusetts!

@amber777 - all of my physio at the hospital has been covered. I have been going twice a week for 12 weeks now and I went twice a week for six weeks after my first surgery. If I was to do physio out of the hospital, I would have to use my work plan which really does not cover much at all. I am stopping physio on Thursday. I am not getting anywhere and I cannot miss anymore work. I will book a check up in a month and will continue all of my exercises at home. I figure, if they operate on you they should cover you as long as need be. Right??

@Threads - odd that your hubby only got 3 sessions for a hip. I know they say that knee rehabilitation takes longer but that is a big difference! Only a month before your surgeries. How are you doing?

@tiredwife - love the new avatar :) Endless budget for gardening? That would be a dream come true. Although I do love to garden, if money was not an object, I would even have a gardener come in once a month (or once a week). All I need to do is win the lottery....

@ironman60 - you have to wait for Thanksgiving but you still had a day off with Columbus Day correct? We have not put the plow on the ATV yet but the snowblower is back from the repay shop. Our boys drive around the ATV right up until the snow flies. We won't let them drive it with the plow on it (unless they are clearing the driveway). Hopefully that won't be anytime soon! It was a balmy 24 degrees Celsius today. It is supposed to be warm and rainy all week. Calm before the storm I figure.

@dogwheels - welcome home! Hope you had a nice trip! Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I hope you feel better soon. There are so many viruses going around. We had a scare here in Ottawa on the weekend. There was a suspected case of Ebola in one of our hospitals. Everyone is on high alert for sure. I was not aware you were building a new home. That is exciting news. So nice to start things new isn't it? Especially gardens!

Well I am off to ice and elevate. Talk to everyone again tomorrow!
 
Hi Lisa @71Beetle - thanks for the get well wishes, I am feeling much better now thank you. These horrid 'change of season' viruses are a real pain. I am now OD'ing on Vit C, Iron tonic and Manuka Honey. It worked pre-TKR so fingers X'd for this winter.
Well you learn something every day, I didn't realise that the Canadian Thanksgiving was different from the one in US. Hope you had a terrific time.
No, we are not moving house - nothing would part me from this one. I am only leaving in a wooden box! When we had it built the plot gave us a large area at the front and back but not much at the sides. We managed to buy a piece of garden from the nearest neighbour on our left about 10 years ago. This made a huge difference and enabled us to extend the house, build a large garage and get some more garden. Having badgered the man who owns the land to the right of the house since we first moved in, after 15 years he has finally capitulated. Poor soul is very old and needs the money now, plus there is a lot of expensive tree work to be done. So this land purchase will put our house right in the middle of a nice large plot (well large by London standards). As I have already told @tiredwife, this will mean we will gain a big chunk that will have sun all day, so I can have flowers!!! There are conserved trees to be dealt with, lots of fencing and decking and a mountain of top soil to go in before we can start doing anything exciting. I cant wait for that fence to come down and get a great view from every side of the house. Its a bit of a wilderness at the moment, so I will update you with some pictures as we progress.
Ooops - confession time. I have to admit that we have gardeners every week and they will be doing all the hard work in this project. This is a necessity for me as I kill everything I touch - and hubby only likes doing the fun stuff and not the 'grunt' :heehee:.

On other subjects, I just love reading about your boys playing ice hockey and all this talk about snow ploughs and blowers - its a great glimpse into life in another part of the world.

Hope your knees are doing well and do not suffer unduly when the temperature drops.

Take care

XXXXX
 
@71Beetle That is the pumpkin I carved last year. Yes we need to win the lottery! We don't play it much though. Sounds like our hubby's birthdays are pretty close together. Steve's birthday was the 14th. Rest up those knees!
 
Hi @dogwheels - sounds like you have the best of both worlds. The house you love on a "new property". No need to confess about having someone come in to do your gardens. If I had the money, I would do the same. I would likely have to give up my housecleaner to get a gardener and that is not happening! I can't wait to see pictures. I hope you are taking before and after pics.

@tiredwife Happy Birthday to Steve! I don't play the lottery much either but it sure is nice to dream :)

Another wet day today but warm again. I went with a couple of girlfriends to a seminar on Teen Mental Health this evening. It was a fantastic Q&A with some of the Children's Hospital's top psychologists and psychiatrists. Having a child with depression, I always like to support these events. I am one of the lucky moms to have seen my child come through the other side and survive the darkness. It is still a battle but because of a terrific psychologist, we can say, optimistically, that the worst is over. I find, because I have become more involved in knowing what resources are out there, my younger boys will benefit from what we had to endure with our oldest boy. Anyway it was a really informative evening and it was nice to get together for some girl talk as well.

Tomorrow is my last day of physio, by choice. I am going to give it a go on my own and meet up with my physiotherapist in a month to see where things are. I figure after 26 sessions and an increase of 15 - 20 degrees max there is little more they can do that I can't do at home.

After physio I have a session with my chiropractor to align my hips properly (I get all funky because of my limp) and then I am off to vote in our Municipal Election. I am big on voting and tell my family that if they don't vote, they lose their right to complain about anything that happens in our city. I know that garbage pickup is a hot spot in our city right now and I expect many will base their votes on whoever promises to bring back weekly garbage pickup. They moved to biweekly pickup last year and it has been a hot bed of contention among many citizens. It will be interesting to see how the votes fall.

After voting, our middle boy has a hockey game (at 9:30 pm) so it will be a late night.

Off to bed now. Sleep tight everyone!
 
@71Beetle Thank you, he is one year closer to retirement!
Glad your child's depression is getting better. It is good that you knew enough and cared enough to seek help. So many people don't.
I'm trying to get hubby to go get his hip aligned but I think he is afraid it might hurt his knees.
You have a great day.
 
Well I was wrong about voting day. It's on the 27th. Good thing my son is on the ball.

Just back from hockey at 11:00 pm. That is late for a 15 year old who is usually asleep at 9:30 pm. We had to take our youngest with us as well, as our eldest son is at work and our youngest was not comfortable staying home by himself.

Busy day at work. My last day of physio - measured 100 degrees flexion and 0 degrees extension. Will go back for a check up in a month. I do my exercises on my own everyday anyway. I think I will take the weekend off and just ice and elevate and measure on Monday to see where I am. I do not have the thing to do ROM measurement and I don't find the apps accurate but my physiotherapist measured from my heel to my bum while I was flexed and gave me that measurement. She said if that number is improving then my flexion is as well. So that is how I will measure.

My chiropractor was able to get a lot of the kinks out but I need to work on exercises for my glutes. I may see if I can get in for massage this weekend as well. @tiredwife - your hubby should try to get in for an adjustment. It does not bug my knees at all and I appear to be much more of a wimp than he is! :)

Have a great night all!
 
@71Beetle That is a good way to measure improvement. The other way isn't accurate at all. This weekend we have company (he is on the porch with hubby listening to music and drinking bourbon) so I snuck off to check my alerts really quick. I'll try to get hubby to go in before he starts back to work.
 
Hi @71Beetle, Only Federal employees get Columbus Day off here. No mail, no bills.
Although I have every day off now if my honeydo list is done.
My ATV has a mid mount plow so it is just 2 pins & the winch & it is ready to go.
Heading North again in the a.m. This time North West about 4 hours.
Just visiting friends. Have to keep busy.
 
Hi @tiredwife - drinking bourbon on the porch sounds like a good way to pass the time. :) Is he a Jack Daniels kind of guy?

@ironman60 - hope you have a nice trip! Are you escaping the HoneyDo List?

A rainy cool fall day in Ottawa. A good day to visit my parents - warm tea and maybe a homemade cookie is in the cards. My youngest has a hockey game this evening and his team photo. Other than that I will be resting and cleaning the house. I have to go through my closets and my mom usually comes over for that so she can get free clothes. :)

What's everyone else doing this weekend?
 
@71Beetle Nope, expensive bourbon Bookers, 4 Roses single barrel, George T. Stag JR. etc. Me, I'm a sweet wine and cocoa with Irish Cream type person. I don't drink very often (good thing, we couldn't afford two drinkers). Usually hubby just sips on it, small shot.
 
Hi @tiredwife - I am a Canadian Girl - I like a cold beer anytime of year. I have not had a drink since May before my first surgery. I am not much of a drinker but do enjoy a beer or a glass of white when I do have one. If I have a liqueur, it is Amaretto with tea. My husband likes Baileys in his coffee and he is a beer or rye drinker.

What a lazy Sunday. I slept pretty well last night (with help from some pain killers). On and off from 4:00 am on. Gave up at 6:00 am and read my book, did some exercises and fell back asleep around 8:00 and slept until 11:00 am!!

I decided not to get out of my pyjamas all day. We have no hockey or any other events planned so I am catching up on some TV shows and doing some work so I can start next week fresh.

Is anyone watching the Outlander series? I read all of the books and I am enjoying the series on Show Case. I PVR them and watch them on lazy day like today. It is one that my hubby won't be bored watching as well. We have one more to watch before the series breaks. I am not sure when it will be back.

Anyway, hope everyone is having a good weekend. My middle son is coming home from a weekend with cadets so I am going to make his favourite macaroni casserole for dinner.

Chat later!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom