Guest viewing is limited

TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

@Phil75070 you are a funny guy. You can keep an eye on our ever fluctuating weather through this link. I even set it up in Fahrenheit for you. :) https://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/canada/ontario/kanata

@maryo52 good to know. I am not used to sitting around so much.

@kneeper I did put heat on it and it is helping. I get up every hour to try an keep everything moving.

Thanks to all of you for the tips and the chuckles :)

I just had a mini meltdown. My husband was out to get something at the store. I overflowed the toilet in his absence and grabbed as many towels as I could to clean it up but ended up crying like a baby and not helping the situation much. I called hubby on his cell blubbering like a fool. He chuckled and said he would come home and clean it. I have no idea why I was crying as much as I was - I blame it o the meds. Feeling much better now but I am not used to being this fragile. :boohoo:
 
I have a slant pillow to elevate my leg. When it is elevated, my foot gets numb and I have pain radiating from the back of my leg to my bum on the operated leg. Any ideas on how to alleviate this?
 
@Celle Thank you. I thought I was doing the first one under the correct way bit I did not have the wedge properly positioned. I will try that. Thank you!
 
Hi Beetle, the Ironman60 was a play on getting a metal knee & turning 60 a week after the new knee.
I did run in 5 & 10 k's but not an Ironman.
A friend bought a Lodge a couple years ago by Hillsport Ontario & fishes on a couple different lakes there.
Walleye would be the fish of choice for eating. Pretty funny to hear someone from Canada say they are going up North to fish. You could get a cabin right next to Santa. :rotfl: O K it wasn't that funny.
The meds will do crazy things to you but you need to ease the pain for awhile. You are getting a lot of good advise on here as I did. Those first 2 or 3 weeks had me thinking I made a huge mistake & was doomed but it sure helped reading many of the posts here & listening to the people on here that went through the same stuff.
Then one day I turned the corner & saw the light at the end of the tunnel & knew that I was going to get better.
Your turn will come.
 
@ironman60 I like your sense of humour! Hillsport is further north than we go. Hope you have a great time!

I am pretty pleased with my progress so far. I have been super lazy though so the real test will be next week when my hubby and two of our three boys are gone fishing.

My oldest will be with me but other than lending comic relief, I cannot expect much of him. He is a typical 18 year old boy. Sleep, video games and friends are his world. He is looking for work for the summer so tries to stay out of earshot so I don't question his progress in that department. He wants a job for money but does not really want to work :)
 
Hi Lisa, my name is Lisa also!

My surgery was April 1 so little over six weeks out from surgery, this first 2 to 3 weeks are a blurr to me! I kept myself well medicated and slept in the recliner.

I have been trying to cut down on the prescription pain meds but cannot get through the day without one or two, I think when you start to feel better to do more and then you hurt.

If you have only had one mini melt down by now you're doing really well! I have them or had them daily! That is one of the reasons I was trying to get off the prescription pain, but now I have other stress in my life so I can't tell what is causing the crying jags.

I thought is that a chuckle when you talked about opening the pool seems a little early for us and I'm way down south in Nebraska!

I have a 17-year-old daughter, her attention span to help me is that Of a gnat, so I understand what you mean with your 18-year-old not being the most helpful.

Your boss needs a good old Nebraska head slap if he actually thinks you could come back to work in the short span of a few weeks! WhAt is your job?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am reading a lot that it can take a year before you really feel back to feeling 100%. I am willing to wait for sure but would like to know what to expect in terms of when I may be able to lose any walking aids. My physiotherapist says if you are walking with a limp then you need to use an aid.
I like the way your therapist thinks!!! It sounds like you are doing very well so far. Just take things slowly. This is one time when the harder you push, the more likely you are to slow your recovery. Did you have a chance to read the articlies referee54 posted for you?
 
Hi @Tamsmom All the great ones are named Lisa aren't they :) You don't hear that name much in new babies do you?

I do feel a little better every day when the meds are working. I don't like the fog I am in but it sure beats the pain!

The weather today is not conducive to a pool opening. Sunny but only 43F degrees - in a couple of months that will be 43C degrees and we'll be complaining about the humidity. The pool will still be open and the solar blanket will go on. There just wont be any swimming yet...

My son is smooth - he says he hates to see me in pain so it is best that he leave me alone to get my rest and he will be there is I need him. Gee thanks buddy! :)

Regarding work...I did not know what to expect with this surgery but I did expect to take the summer off. They nixed that right away. I am an IT Recruiter with a recruiting firm. I have been there for 18 years and helped to launch the IT Team. I work on 100% commission. I should be able to take the time but I cannot afford to not be paid at all. I have a lot of contractors out (this is how I make my commissions - off of the profit that we get between what we pay the contractor and what we bill the client) and I have placed them before I left. I feel I should be getting paid for this regardless of if I am there or not. I don't expect to be paid on placements that happen with my clients when I am not there but the ones I have placed should be compensated on. I hope I am making sense. I have asked if I can work from home but they will not allow for that either.

It is heartbreaking really. I have put 18 years of my life into that company. I have been compensated very well (but let's be clear, commission sales means that they are getting the rest of the profit that I bring in so they are doing fine because of me as well). They have always teated me well - until now. They are being completely inflexible and uncaring. If I take all of the hours I put in working 60 - 80 hour weeks, I have more than worked enough to "earn" this time off.

I love what I do and have always loved where I do it but I feel betrayed. I am stuck because it would be difficult to find something that pays a salary that I have grown accustomed to and we cannot afford to not continue making that salary.

I have started another business in the Health & Wellness field that I will focus more on with the goal to replace my current income and work for myself and never work for someone else again. To have to relinquish such control of my well being to someone else is no longer for me. I never thought of it because I did not need to until now.

I have no control over it so I have to move on but it still hurts.

Sorry to go off on a rant like that. I don't think that was what you were expecting :dubious:

My 13 year old boy is making me breakfast now. Wish me luck :)
 
Good morning @Jamie I have read the articles and I do feel I am doing well. A huge part of my success has been because of Bone Smart. I am a social person with a strong circle of friends. I have a family that treats me like a princess and that I think the world of. I have parents and siblings that have been very helpful as well. But nobody understands all of the emotions, pains and ridiculous questions that I have as I go through this journey.

The people, the articles and the support through this site has helped me immensely. I am on this site for most of my waking hours reading articles, trolling other people's threads and learning so much.

i am blessed to have found this site (thank you Google) and I will recommend it to anyone that I encounter that may need the support that I needed.:thumb:
 
I am so sorry your work is treating you like that! I know there is someone else on the forum who had similar treatment from her work and she was also Canadian. I'm shocked - I love Canada and would move there in a heartbeat if I could. I am so sad that two Canadian employers could be so unfeeling while their long-time employees are going through tough recoveries. I hope you get things settled to your satisfaction and good luck with your new endeavour and your recovery!
 
Hi @LauraLeigh, Thanks for your kind words. It is annoying and hurtful for sure but I cannot dwell on it. I still have my right knee surgery in July that I have to deal with.

One thing is for sure, I will not be putting the hours in that I used to. Any extra hours will be going into my business and not theirs. I look forward to the day when I can leave and focus on my own goals. I never thought I would say that. It saddens me.

Sounds like you are going to be in for a journey yourself with the BTKR coming up. How is the decision made to do a bilateral replacement as opposed to one at a time? I wish I had thought to look for a site like this before my surgeries. I would have been going in with a lot more knowledge.
 
My husband used to work in IT, and he will agree that there is no loyalty in the field. I'm sorry you have to go through this.

As for bilateral, the decision was easy. I simply didn't want to do this twice, and the OS said I was a good candidate. I know it's hard to believe, but except for greater initial trauma to your body, a bilateral is not much more difficult in terms of recovery. It was easy to use the walker after the first day, and in one week, I was using only a cane. Two weeks later, and I didn't even need that. And there's absolutely nothing better than knowing that I don't have to do this again.
 
Lisa,
Sorry to hear your company is treating you so badly, loyalty is no longer important in any company. You are wise to go your own way.
How is you knee doing?
 
I was not given the option for BTKR - I think in my situation it would have been better. Too late now though :yes:

You sound like you are making a terrific recovery. Are you doing PT and are you on meds still?
 
Hi @Pumpkln - sadly, no there is no loyalty. They expect it but it is not given. I feel like I have been put out to pasture. :)

My recovery is going okay I think. Not as good as some but I think I am progressing well.
 
I have tapered down on the PT from three time a week to two times a week. I told them that Monday will be my last day. PT tires me quite a bit, and I'd rather build stamina at my own pace. My ROM and extension are good, so there is little they can help me with there.

As far as medication, I'm using tylenol during the day, and I combine it with Tramadol at night for a better sleep. I don't have significant pain, but still have leg aches, and the medication helps this.

I think you're doing the right thing setting up your own company. Ultimately that's what my husband did, and he never regretted it.
 
By the way, 71Beetle, my OS went to medical school and received his surgical training in Canada. He says that's why I'm doing so well. :loll:
 
@Wednesday it sounds like you are doing so well. Thanks for sharing your progress. Everyone is so helpful on this site.

We have some great medical schools in Canada. We have a great medical system in my opinion as well.
 
My decision to do both knees was very easy: they're both bone-on-bone so I just asked the OS if we could do both at the same time and he agreed! Like @Wednesday, I didn't want to go through this twice. And although my work is okay about me taking time off, I don't want to leave them in the lurch - I am the only one who does what I do. Right now is my slow time, which is why I scheduled my surgery for May. As long as I'm back by Oct. 1, it will be fine. I had planned to go back in 8 weeks but that was before I found this forum! I'm going to tell my boss 10 weeks then a phased return - unless I have a spectacular recovery, in which case I'll go back at the beginning of August as originally planned. Luckily I have an insurance policy that will make up for my lost wages and of course here in the US we have FMLA, which means my job is protected and they can't fire me. I do plan on working from home when I start feeling up to it, whenever that may be.
 
Back
Top Bottom