Guest viewing is limited

TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

Hi @71Beetle - just caught up with you again, now that the website seems to have calmed down a bit. I am sitting down and having a catch up with what everyone's up to.
I'm so sorry to read that you seem to be having more trouble and pain with the 2nd knee. That's a real poo! Only good thing is that if the first one had been like this, you would not have been keen to get the other done so quickly afterwards.

We have come down to our other place today. We had the boiler fixed a couple of weeks ago and it keeps cutting out so the guy is coming back to investigate first thing in the morning. Husband is flying to Spain to help our friend move his yacht on Friday, so that will keep him out of mischief for a few days, and I am staying down here for the weekend. My daughter and her BF are coming straight from work on Friday for the weekend and will give me a lift back on Sunday. I then have plans to try and get the final things in my study sorted and tuck in a bit of shopping before the sailor returns. Most is neatly put away in the study now:angel: but I need to shift some bigger things around and that will involve moving stuff out to manoeuvre. It will be a bit like one of those puzzles where you have to move all the pieces around!

Anyway, enough about me. I really hope that as everyone has been saying, you manage to get on top of the pain and then keep it under control. I loved your description of it feeling like the hair was growing - I instantly knew exactly what you meant.

Take care

XXX
 
Hi @tiredwife - I am sure that hubby will have no problem with his next one. He seems to have recovered very well with this TKR. I am sure that having you by his side has made it that much easier!

@IrishMike - Your holiday sounds wonderful and wow did you ever do a lot. I found I got to the point with my first TKR that my non-operated knee was hurting more than my operated one was. That was really exciting and I knew I was on the healing path then. Can't wait to have that feeling with this knee. I am four weeks tomorrow! :)

@Jozilla - thanks for the tip on the Gabapentin. It so far is not making me tired but I am only taking 100mg three times per day for the first couple of days. I then move to 200mg three times for two days then 300mg. I may feel it then. I am fortunate that I don't usually feel the side effects of meds. I don't experience dizziness when it says I may; I don't have issues with my stomach when that is a warning, etc. Lucky me I guess. I do wish I would experience the drowsiness so I could get some sleep. :) I do the deep breathing and relaxation methods from yoga so that helps me stay calm.
 
@dogwheels - thanks for stopping by! It sounds like you have a nice weekend planned. Congratulations on getting your study in order. What an awesome feeling that must be! I do hope you will have help with moving the big stuff. Please don't over do it!

Still in a lot of pain but it is getting better....fingers crossed I can get it to an acceptable level and manage it from there.

Enjoy your time at your other home. Do you have a nickname for it?
 
Hi @71Beetle - glad you seem to be getting on top of the pain. It must really suck to be hurting, especially when the first TKR went so smoothly. That said, if you had more damage to the second knee I have been told on many occasions that can affect your recovery in terms of speed and pain level.
I have been quite pragmatic with mine - once a perfect (but shiny metal) new joint is put in there, all the other muscles and nerves that have adapted to the wear and idiosyncrasies of the poorly performing old one over a long period of time, need to sort themselves out, stretch and get used to the changes!

It is a beautiful morning here, we have the patio door wide open on the balcony, the tide is in and all I can hear are the seagulls and the Priory bells ringing the quarter hours. Yes, we have a nickname for it, but not a very original one - we call it PQ which is an abbreviated name of the place - Priory Quay.

Sending love and hugs that today will be a better and less painful one for you.

XX
 
I'm so sorry you've been having such a hard time with pain. I was given a script for 100 hydro morphone when I left the hospital and found them quite sufficient. Hopefully they work for you.
I was reading your posts about the Celebrex. I've been waking up a lot with hip pain and realize I haven't been taking any medications for some time since my knee has been feeling good. I will try the Celebrex and see if that helps. I've been awake since 3:30 am, just couldn't get comfortable with the ache, especially sinc both my hips are poor. At least they aren't hurting while walking at this point.
I've been tempted by the medical pot as well...supposed to help,with a lot of symptoms.
 
@71Beetle
I just read more of your thread. I am so very upset to hear these stories. It is just wrong. When the pain gets that bad, it takes awhile to catch back up with it. (unfortunately)
I cannot believe that you were put in a position to have to go to Emergency for pain. That is just so awful. ( I cannot think up enough adjectives for how I feel as I read your posts) Hydromorphone kicked my pain to the curb. I know we all respond differently to different meds.
I am just so sorry you are going through this. Hopefully by now, you have caught up and are doing better.
~~hopefaith
 
@71Beetle
(that being said, my doc. only gave me one script for Hydromorphone, so I had to ration and take Percocet when the pain wasn't as bad.) .....ridiculous.

h.f.
 
@71Beetle Thank you. I'm sure he will do fine. Hope you find some relief from the pain. Once it gets out of control it is so hard to play catch up.
 
Hi @71Beetle , I was able to navigate the page today! I hope you've gotten your pain med situation all sorted. I'm so sorry that you had to go without. That happened to me as well - on a holiday weekend - I ran out and frantically called the on call guy for the practice who called in vicodin for me instead of percocet and it didn't do didly squat. I was in enormous and unnecessary amounts of pain for the first 6 weeks and it just made everything seem worse. I'm so sorry. I hope that your Thursday is off to a great start and that today is pain free for you! xoxoxoxo

Oh, so are you starting to see/feel any effects from the Gabapentin yet? 100mg is a low dose, so maybe when you get up to the 300mg (like i'm on), you will start to feel the benefits.
 
Lisa,
I took Gabapentin a few years ago, and was started on the schedule your Dr. is using. It made me pretty loopy, and I had to stop taking it or quit work. If I had more time to get used to it, it probably would have helped, I only had 5 days off.
Seems they like to work you up to the full dose slowly. It should start to help as you near the top dose.
All the best for a very much reduced pain level day.:yes:
 
@71Beetle joke of the day

broken link removed: https://kickasshumor.com/funny-joke/21332/koala-what-do-you-mean-im-not-a-bear-i-have-al
 
@tiredwife
[Bonesmart.org] Canadian Girl's Journey
 
@71 Beetle. I am taking 300mg of Gabapentin (Neuronton) 3 times a day. It is a drug also used for bipolar disorder and also for epilepsy. We call it the "stupid" drug, because when most people start taking it, they have impaired mental function. I couldn't remember anything for about 5 days. I do suggest that you write things you need to remember down, don't do anything mentally taxing, and don't make any big decisions. The initial confusion goes away for most people, but there are some people who can't take it. Hope it does help your pain. It will not usually make you drowsy.
 
Lisa, I have used gabapentin for a few years for fibromyalgia. I did not have any mental problems from it mental distress from it but it did make me sleepy for a few weeks. Am used to it now. It allowed me to sleep without bursitis or fibro leg pain. It still helps with that now at 200 mg. at bedtime. I'm pretty sure it helped with nerve pain after surgery as those stabs are not bad at night. Hope it helps you!
Christie
 
Hi @dogwheels, @MCD, @hopefaith, @tiredwife, @DogLoverx3, @Pumpkln, @Phil75070, @Old Texan, @cjf1222 Thanks for stopping by. I really appreciate your input and jokes (get along @tiredwife and @Phil75070) :)

Well today was a bit better pain wise. I did't cry once so that must be a good thing :)

I will be upping the Gabapentin to 2 pills three times a day. Reading what everyone is saying, I will keep an eye on how I do with it. I don't want to be right out of it, I am loopy enough as it is.

I had physio today and my flexion is 95 and extension is 0. I still have the annoying pain and clicking in the back of me knee when I do the exercises. I have massage tomorrow so hopefully that will help it. Came home and iced and elevated. The pain is still there but I do think it is getting better.

It is four weeks today since I had the surgery on this knee. It is different than the last one but I have to stop comparing. It is what it is. I have no fear that there is anything wrong with this one. The healing is just taking longer. It is deep tissue and muscle pain and that annoying piece at the back of my knee. As we all say in BoneSmart Land. This too shall pass.

I still think of all of the great things I will accomplish when I am back at it. That is always fun to do. If I succeed at half of what I want to achieve I will be a Certified Yoga instructor on the LPGA tour who is mentoring others in losing 50 pounds! All of this while having magazine tours of my gardens, paying off my house and seeing my three boys off to university or a successful career in whatever they aspire to! Oh, and retiring from my day job in two years! :yes!:

Plans for the long weekend (Civic Holiday in Ontario) Does anyone else have Monday off? We have friends coming over for homemade pizza on Friday evening. Visiting my parents on Saturday and hopefully tending a bit to my weeds (can't call them gardens this year). On Sunday, my hubby's brother and his wife are dropping by. They have been on a two week vacation with their motorbikes and are returning home to Kitchener so making a one night pit stop at our place. They usually stay longer but one night suits me fine :) And on Monday I will rest and make the decision on whether I will go back to work part time on Tuesday or not. If the pain is under control, I see no reason why I can't. It is the same timing as the last knee. If I am not up to it I will not but if I can I will.

What is everyone else doing for the weekend?

I do not have a joke (not sure why I have dried up so) but here is a link to the reason Why Men and Women Think Differently. It is very insightful and made me laugh - especially a comment about fishing (me with a hubby who is a fisherman)
broken link removed: https://www.tickld.com/x/why-men-and-women-think-differently

Have a great night all!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi @71Beetle - I am pleased that the pain is becoming a bit more manageable and have my fingers and everything else crossed that you will have an even better day today.

I loved your 'Accomplishment Bucket List' and also the piece about Men's Minds ....... never a truer word!

Its cloudy, grey and breezy here this morning - I am hoping the weather brightens up as my daughter and her BF are coming down straight from work for the weekend. She hasn't been here in ages. Last time was New Year 2012/13 with a different man ....

Husband went back to London last night as he is flying to Spain today. I saw his sailing buddy yesterday and they seem to be organising a 'Tapas Crawl' each night they will be away.

An update for you on the Reunion, I won £2.90 last week on the lottery! A whole £2.90! I need to up my game and keep practising to try and add several 0's to the end of that, before I can fund our grand meet-up, but I will keep at it. I am hoping that my lottery skills, like our knees, every day in every way will get better and better!

Here's another blonde joke for you:

A blonde, a brunette, and a redhead all die. In order to get into heaven though, they must go up 100 steps, each containing a joke. The trick is that they must not laugh.
The brunette goes first and laughs at the first step and is sent to hell. The redhead goes next and makes it to the seventh step before she laughs.
Finally, it’s the blondes turn. She gets all the way to the 99th step before she laughs. God asks her, “You were so close, why did you laugh?” and she responds, “I just got the first joke!”

XXX
 
Love that joke @dogwheels! I laughed out loud. I am a blonde so I get it for sure :)

Hopefully the weather stays nice for you and that your daughter and her BF arrive safely and have a great time. We have chances of rain today and tomorrow with Sunday being the nicest day at 25 C. I will ideally enjoy some pool time then. Still not allowed to swim but I can stick my feet in and chill out by the pool.

I have never done a Tapas crawl - sounds more responsible than the pub crawls from my younger days. That will be a lot of different foods to try for sure. I hope your hubby enjoys himself.

Congratulations on the lottery win!! Every bit counts toward the grand reunion. :)

I have massage today and I am really looking forward to it. Have a fantastic day!
 
An old man limped into the doctor's office and said, "Doctor, my knee hurts so bad, I can hardly walk!"

The doctor slowly eyed him from head to toe, paused and then said, "Sir, how old are you?"

"I'm 98," the man announced proudly.

The doctor just sighed, and looked at him again. Finally he said, "Sir, I'm sorry. I mean, just look at you. You are almost one hundred years old, and you're complaining that your knee hurts? Well, what did you expect?"

The old man said, "Well, my other knee is 98 years old too, and it doesn't hurt!"
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom