Guest viewing is limited

TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

So it is not just the U.S. that gives their patients a hard time with pain meds. Very sorry to hear this. Hope something starts helping you soon!
 
Thanks @pumpkin! I will be happy when this is behind me. My journey is nothing compared to yours. How are you doing today?
 
Thanks @Jozilla, I really can't complain about the system. You get what you pay for and ours is "free". I guess they have to be so careful. There are likely a ton of soon to be 50 year old hockey moms with bum knees that are abusing the narcotics they get after TKR that the doctors feel an intervention is required. Or it could be they want to bill for the visit. :) I am becoming so jaded. The fact that I had to go to the hospital and take up precious resources, when I am confident there were people that needed more attention than I did, is what really bugs me.

Oh well, today is a new day. I will see my family doctor's replacement, will go to physio and will hope for a somewhat diminished pain day.

How are you doing?
 
I am doing okay. Trying not to think about upcoming knee. It does give me anxiety! I think that hydromorphone may be that new narcotic I have hear about in the U.S. I have to look it up though as I am not familiar with it. I do hope your pain is less today!
 
Your GP and OS didn't choose very convenient times to go on vacation, did they! Remember that it takes longer to get the relief you may need when your chasing the pain. Hopefully today you can get caught up and they start working better for you. Remember that Percocet has the Tylenol built in, so you're not really taking more medicine than before, it's just split into more pills. Although I do not know how hydromorphone compares with the oxycodone. Do you have a muscle relaxer in that mix anywhere? It may help.

Good luck at your appointment today, be honest, and don't let the relief that some people feel just by being in the office let you downplay your pain.
 
Thank you @Jozilla and @H2OPoloMom - I hope things will get back on track with the pain control soon. I have this weird sensation and I am sure it is just the nerves rebuilding but I am hyper-sensitive below the knee. It is not painful just annoying. It is like I can almost feel the hair growing (yuck). It is not warm to the touch or anything. Just weird. :)
 
Thanks @tiredwife - I did better in the sleep department last night. Slept upstairs in my bed - my hubby had a sleepover with my youngest in the loft. Will try to get a catnap in before I hop in the shower. Okay, limp in the shower. Wish me luck getting downstairs!
 
I agree with @H2OPoloMom --it may take a while for the pain meds to settle things down since you've been stretched to the edge. I'm glad you're getting in to see a doc.

There are always people who abuse prescription drugs who make it tough for the rest of us who need them.
 
Wow, I sure wish I had the same success with this TKR as I did with the last one! I am up again with the pain. I wonder if it is a case where there was more damage to this knee - more arthritis and more bone on bone with this one. Any thoughts on that?

Went to my GP's replacement doctor. He was helpful and courteous. I explained all of the steps that had brought me to his office. He was curious as to why I had so much pain given the meds I was on. He called the OS that was on call at the hospital to ask if I should have an x-ray or ultrasound but it does not seem like that was required as I am not showing any symptoms of an infection or a clot.

So he added yet another med to my cocktail. It is called Gabapentin. I take it 3 times a day starting with 1 x 3 per day for two days, then 2 x 3 per day for two days then 3 x 3 per day until I am finished the prescription. This on top of the 2 Tylenol and 2 Hydromorphone every 4 hours and the Celebrex twice a day. I am starting to feel like a junkie now. Hopefully this will work. He has given me a month supply and I see him again in two weeks.

My parents are going to stop by for tea tomorrow. It will be nice to see them. My mom is doing better and is going for physio twice a week to help her pain from the spinal stenosis and other issues she has been having since Christmas. My dad's knee was bugging him but it seems to be fine now.

How is everybody out there in BoneSmart Land doing?
 
Morning 71Beetle. I have been on gabapentin for a couple of years for nerve pain. I do take 600 mg at night to help me sleep and 300mg in the morning. If you have any nerve pain it does help! I looked up hydromorphone and it is dilaudid which I have heard of. Sorry you are in this pain and hope this medication helps! Give it a couple days to build up in your body! (((Hugs)))
 
Hi @71Beetle

Just back from holiday (last Saturday) and thought that I would check up on you!

Sorry to hear about your pain problems, hopefully they will settle down soon and you can start your recovery in the way you had hoped. I have been trying to tell myself that my left knee will recover the same as my right did but I guess you can't really know...

I am like you (I think) and am not very keen on taking a lot of strong medication but if you need them take them - when the pain stops/reduces, you can worry about the drugs!

How is your left knee? are you getting any reaction because of your new right knee?

Take care

Mike
 
Hi @IrishMike, thanks for checking in. Hope you had a nice holiday! Where did you go? How did your knee do during your vacation?

This knee is very different from my left knee and it is so frustrating but it is something I have to deal with. You are wise not to expect the recovery of your next TKR to be the same as the first one. My left knee is wonderful. I have to work to get my flexion back on that one as I have been concentrating so much on the new one but I am very pleased with the recovery of the left one.

Hope everything is going very well!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Jozilla - thanks for dropping by. I truly appreciate the support and friendliness of all my BoneSmart buddies!
600mg of Gabapentin is a lot - do you have any side effects from it? It did not help me sleep which is what I was hoping for. I cannot wait for the day when I sleep in bouts longer than 2-3 hours. I know it will come. I have never been known to be patient... :hairpulling:

I will drop by your thread to see how things are going with you.

Enjoy your day!
 
Hi @tiredwife! Thanks for your encouragement. How is hubby doing? Only a week until he, and you, get to do it all over again!
 
@71Beetle He is getting a little nervous, but not near as bad as the first one. This knee isn't as bad as the first on was so we are hoping that means another easy recovery (knock on wood). He aslo exercised it in PT along with his new knee, so maybe the leg will be strong enough to make a difference.
 
@71Beetle

We had a great 2 week holiday in northern Spain, sunny days with temperatures a very comfortable 28 - 30 C and 26 C at night. Plenty of beach, sea, pool, food, ice creams and wine....

My knee was generally fine throughout the holiday although I started to feel it go stiff etc. towards the end - probably to a lack of stretching and other knee exercises.

We walked a approx. 8 - 10 km in a casual manner together with the swimming.

My left knee is starting to get more sore so it will be good to have the op and make them at least equal.

Hope the meds are starting to kick in and you are feeling less pain

Take care

Mike
 
Yes the gabapentin makes me sleepy. I take it faithfully every night but I am not too keen on taking it in the morning and I usually skip that one or take a half. Xoxo
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom