Guest viewing is limited

TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

@dogwheels @Phil75070 @Celle @Ellejay @Pumpkln @Jozilla @JustJeff @suzzee2000 @busylizzie @hopefaith @DogLoverx3 @Nana moon 27 @Old Texan @maryo52 @Wednesday @robograndma @ironman60 @kneeper @Tamsmom @LauraLeigh @Mai5ie @MCD @jbucks @patient 99 @Lily2450 @sibbi1123 @IrishMike @new knee in June @H2OPoloMom @tiredwife @msmechanic58 - I hope I have not forgot anyone!

@new knee in June, I watched the movie "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2" with my 19 year old son this evening before he went out with his buddies. I thought of you with all of the vegetable jokes, among other food jokes. You should watch it if you haven't already.

I haven't posted much - more out of laziness than anything else. I will pop on everyone's threads later but just wanted to give a quick update. So as you all know, this recovery has not gone as well as my first knee went. Frustrating to be sure. The pain has been ridiculous and I could not figure it out.

When I woke up this morning, I called my surgeon's office to see if he could up my meds. He is on holidays until August 11th. I called my GPs office. It is closed until Monday. So after massage (which helped to loosen my IT Band and glutes a lot), I went to the walk-in clinic to see if I could get help from one of the doctors there. I waited in pain for an hour before I was shown a room. As soon as I walked in I saw a sign that said " doctors will not prescribe narcotics to walk-in patients. If you require narcotics, you will need to visit with your family doctor". I burst into tears not knowing what I was going to do. The doctor came in (she was a little nutty but very nice) and calmed me down. My pain level was at an all out 10 on the 1-10 scale and I was still 2 hours from my next dosage. We discussed the process I had done and the meds I had taken when it suddenly dawned on me. When I was having the pain issues at the hospital, they had prescribed Celebrex. I had filled the 15 day prescription and that finished this past Sunday. Well I guess that was the difference. My body must have metabolized the Celebrex in a couple of days so then the pain started coming back because it was not getting the regular dose of the Celebrex anymore.

So she prescribed another two week supply. I have taken one so far, along with the 2 Percocet and it does seem better already. It could be the placebo effect but I don't care at this point. I am looking forward to getting some sleep tonight! I still have to call my GP on Monday as I need more Percocet.

So now I am watching cheesy romance movies "My Best Friend's Wedding" and getting ready to fall asleep. The boys come home from camping tomorrow. We are supposed to have a mix of sun and rain this weekend which is a drag but we'll make the most of it.

I heard from my boss on his situation. He has started hormone drugs to prepare for surgery in 3 months to remove his prostate. He is getting it done in New York so will be staying there for a couple of months to go through the appointments and such. I hope he will be okay. He wants to meet before I go back to work. Likely to let me know how much I am going to lose in commissions or perhaps to tell me how ignorant he had been and he was going to pay me what I feel should be coming to me.

So that is my update. I have no joke that is coming to me. Hope everyone is doing well.

Let me know what you are up to this weekend and have a good one!! :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@71Beetle Hope the celebrex works! Sorry you were in so much pain!
Our plans for this weekend is to go to a baby shower today (our neighbor's daughter) and do laundry. Sunday we have no plans. We were going to go to a concert last night but it was an outdoor concert and it was too hot and muggy out. Hope you have great weekend!
joke of the day:
An engineer crosses a road when a frog calls out to him, "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a beautiful princess."
He bends over, picks up the frog and puts it in his pocket. The frog speaks up again and says, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a beautiful princess, I will stay with you for one week."
The engineer takes the frog out of his pocket, smiles at it and returns it to the pocket.
The frog then cries out, "If you kiss me and turn me back, I'll do whatever you say!"
Again the engineer takes the frog out, smiles at it and puts it back into his pocket.
Finally, the frog asks, "What is the matter? I've told you I'm a beautiful princess, I'll stay with you for a month and do whatever you say. What more do you want?"
The engineer says, "Look, I'm an engineer. I don't have time for a girlfriend, but a talking frog, now that's cool!"
 
The National Institutes of Health have announced that they will no longer be using rats for medical experimentation. In their place, they will use attorneys. They have given three reasons for this decision: 1. There are now more attorneys than there are rats. 2. The medical researchers don't become as emotionally attached to the attorneys as they did to the rats. 3. No matter how hard you try, there are some things that even rats won't do.
==========================================

Q: What did one lab rat say to the other? A: I've got my scientist so well trained that every time I push the buzzer, he brings me a snack.
 
I bet the combination of the celebrex and percocet is helping. I know I've been using my voltaren gel (I can't use oral NSAIDs anymore due to an ulcer--from NSAIDs) a few times a day along with the hydrocodone. I need it for my other RA pain & I think it helps the knee too.
 
@kneeper, the celebrex and percocet is helping a lot! Now I just have to remember to call my GP to get some more percocet first thing on Monday. :)

@Phil75070 - a lesson in English along with the chuckle. You are a man of many talents :)
 
:sneaker:@71Beetle Wanted to see how you are. I also tried to cut way back on pain meds. a couple of months ago. It didn't work well at all. Now, I am able to and almost to the point I only need Tylenol.
My only "bee" joke is that I call my PT "the bees knees".
Is there a bee emoticon? (don't think so)
~hopefaith
 
@71Beetle I love My Best Friend's Wedding! It's one of those movies that I can watch repeatedly. Although I'm a big Julia Roberts fan, I think my favorite character is the one played by Rupert Everett.

I'm so sorry to hear about your trip to the clinic! Just being in the waiting room must have been torturous. At least the doctor took the time to help you figure out a plan that she could help you with!

As for this weekend, I have just been trying to facilitate getting some of the work done around my house that hasn't been getting done. Everyone around here has been getting a little cranky with having to pick up my slack. You would think that divided among 4 people, it wouldn't be too bad. I guess they never realized how much I do.
 
Joke of the day:

Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson were going camping. They pitched their tent under the stars and went to sleep. Sometime in the middle of the night Holmes woke Watson up and said: "Watson, look up at the sky, and tell me what you see."

Watson replied: "I see millions and millions of stars."

Holmes said: "And what do you deduce from that?"

Watson replied: "Well, if there are millions of stars, and if even a few of those have planets, it’s quite likely there are some planets like Earth out there. And if there are a few planets like Earth out there, there might also be life."

And Holmes said: "Watson, you idiot, it means that somebody stole our tent."
 
An 80 year old man went for his annual check up and the doctor said: "Friend, for your age your in the best shape I've seen."

The old feller replied, "Yep. It comes from clean living. It is why I know I live a good, clean, spiritual life."

The doctor asked him how he knew that.

"Why," the old man, "I must live a good, clean life or the Lord wouldn't turn the bathroom light on for me every time I get up in the middle of the night."

The doc looked a little concerned. "You mean when you get up in the night to go to the bathroom, the Lord Himself turns on the light for you."

"Yep," the old man said, "Whenever I get up to go to the bathroom, the Lord turns the light on for me."

Well, the doctor didn't say anything else, but when the old man left he called his wife and told her that her husband was fantastic physically but he was a little worried about his mental health. The doctor said, "He told me that every night when he gets up to go to the bathroom, the Lord turns the light on for him."

"Why that son of a gun," she said. "He is pissin' in the fridge again!."
 
Hi @71Beetle - glad you figured out what the current puzzle piece was that was missing. I take Celebrex as well (Diclofenac towards the beginning) as especially in the early days/months it helped enormously. Especially with the internal tightness and swelling. Don't try to step down your meds until you're ready. I made that mistake more than once and it was needless pain. When you are ready though, the chart that Josephine gave you for the Tramadol + Percocet combo worked pretty well for me.

Well I am off to clean my itty bitty house. Funny, the house is smaller, but the mess is about the same. ;-)

xoxoxo
 
What a day. I made my last bit of meds last as long as I could. I had one Percocet left that I took at 8:30 am. Called my family physician to get a refill. She is on holidays until September and the new doctor will need to see me before he can prescribe a narcotic. I am going up the walls with pain and frustration!

So my OS is away until August 11th, my GP is away to September, the replacement is not available to meet until later this week, walk-in clinics cannot prescribe narcotics. The only option now is to go to Emergency at the hospital. So off we go. 3 hours of waiting and my meds have completely worn off, I see a doctor. He prescribes a new drug Hydromorphone. Enough to last me 5 days if I take 2 every 4 hours.

I come home and take them as prescribed. The pain is lessened but I am still at a 6-7 at best. I just do not understand it. I called the GP office and they had a cancellation for tomorrow at 1:30 pm so he can at least see me so I can have another prescription ready for when this one is done. I do not want to go another day without being properly medicated (if that is what you can call it).

Seems like a lot to be taking. Celebrex every 12 hours and Hydromorphone and Tylenol every 4 hours. I hope it does't go on much longer. I will definitely be due for a detox when this is all over. I wonder if medical marijuana is a better idea than I thought....at least dealing with the pain would be more entertaining. I may have to swing my vote in the upcoming election. :)

I spent most of the day since I came home icing, elevating, resting and trying to find the sweet spot between doses where I could put some exercises in to at least stay limber. I will check in on everyone later but I really need to try to get some sleep.

Thanks so much for all that drop by and for those that leave a message. I do appreciate it! :cheers:
 
I am so sad to hear this, so early in your recovery, having trouble getting pain meds.
Hope the Dr helps you, and gives you the pain relief you deserve.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom