TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

@Nana moon 27, thanks of dropping by. I am doing okay thank you! Managing the pain and looking forward to the days when I no longer think about my knees.

I am grateful for the extra time I am enjoying with my family though I wish I was running around with them instead of them running around for me :)

This time around I find I am more impatient than the last. Not sure why that is...maybe because I had a pretty quick recovery from the last one and I want to bee at the end point, now.

How are you doing??
 
@Josephine,
Hope you are well! I have a quick question for you...
My right TKR was done on July 3rd so I a coming up to week 3.
I have a pain at the back of my knee on the right side. It does not hurt if I am elevating or resting, but when I go to get up or sit down, there is a pain and it feels like "it" catches ("it" being muscle, tendon, tissue). It is quite painful for sure.
About a week ago it felt like I "pulled" something when I struggled to get up from sitting on a low lounge chair. I am not sure if this is the cause of it.
Do you know what this may be and what I can do to alleviate it?
Thank you,
 
Hi @71Beetle yes I'm okay thank you. I'm ever so glad that your pain is well managed I totally understand where you're coming from so you can join in better. It is very early on in your recovery Lisa, only just coming up three weeks since your major surgery. From what I've read on others posts , who have had a second knee done, they sometimes say it was different to the first. I think this surgery is a bit like childbirth, it hurts like anything at first but as time goes by the memory fades xxx

I'm seeing the OS again on Tuesday to see what next. He had warned me on the day I had the aspiration and hydrocortisone injections that it might not work. He'd examined my knee again just before he was to do the procedure. He said he thinks the kneecap is catching on the knee joint because of the creaking, clicking , clunking, along with pain and swelling. He broke the news to me when I was gowned up! On Monday I get all my results from the Chest clinic, I hope it's good news, although the CT scan I had done a few weeks back showed little areas of infection on the lungs. Well we will see. It will be what it will be! Or not :prayer: I'm still waiting for the results of the CT where they injected dye in my arm as I've had three suspected angina attacks. Two at the end if May and one in June. I'm hoping it just turns out to be stress.

I'm sure Josephine will help you out here, she's brilliant! I don't know where I'd have been without her at times. She's really so supportive xxx have you ever read her TKR recovery thread. It's well worth a read. It all starts with her being dropped off in a taxi from the hospital and dumped at her gate.....! It's a beautifully written, amusing piece to read. I think you'd enjoy it!

Love Nana moon 27 (Ann) xxxx
 
Hi @71Beetle
I've been thinking about you and the pressure that you sometimes feel, to go back to work as soon as possible - remembering some of your earlier posts.

As I was going through the articles in the Library, I re-discovered this one, which I think you might find interesting:
Knee recovery - Lose the Work Ethic!!

I hope that Josephine can suggest something to help the new pain in your second TKR. I'm not the expert, but to me it sounds like a soft tissue problem. I suspect she'll advise more rest - but let's wait and see!
 
Hi @Nana moon 27, I hope you get some positive answers on Tuesday and that you can set a course of action to get this all behind you. You are so supportive to everyone and I wis you only the best. I will take a read of Josephine's thread. I am intrigued when I read all of the journeys that people have gone through. Some have it easy, like me, and some go through a quagmire of pain and discomfort before getting to the other side. It amazes me how different the recoveries really are.

@Celle, thanks for dropping by! How are you doing? I read the article that you recommended and yes, it is true that you cannot push yourself in this recovery. If this knee is anything like the last one, I do not see an issue with going back part time next month. The way I feel right now, there is no way I could go back any sooner. Given that my boss is now going through his own battles with health that are much more serious than mine, I think he may rethink his decision to not pay me for this time. I cannot depend on that but it may happen.

It's now going on 5:30 am. I think I will try to go back to sleep before everyone in the house starts to stir.



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Morning! I have to agree with Celle that it sounds like soft tissue. Josephine will definitely advise you - where would we be without this forum!

@tiredwife - tell hubby sorry I liked your joke better!!

Sorry you have to return to work so quickly. I will also have to return as soon as possible I only get about $125 per week and cannot live on that! I have two weeks vacation pay that I will also use for recovery.

Hope your knee settles down and am glad you are posting about this recovery. It is helpful to me to read about your recovery!

Xoxo
 
My right TKR was done on July 3rd so I a coming up to week 3.
I have a pain at the back of my knee on the right side. It does not hurt if I am elevating or resting, but when I go to get up or sit down, there is a pain and it feels like "it" catches ("it" being muscle, tendon, tissue). It is quite painful for sure. About a week ago it felt like I "pulled" something when I struggled to get up from sitting on a low lounge chair. I am not sure if this is the cause of it.
Do you know what this may be and what I can do to alleviate it?

Guess what - here's my questions! It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually in a numbered list and in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Canadian Girl's Journey
)


2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)

Note:
If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of a 500kg bell bar = 1 rep or repetition.
Doing 5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set of 5.
And doing 5 sets and finishing = a session.



Can you also tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Canadian Girl's Journey


[Bonesmart.org] Canadian Girl's Journey
 
Hi @Josephine,

Thank you for getting back to me. Here are the answers.

1. what are your pain levels right now?
  • The back of the knee when I sit shoot up to an 8 or 9. In general my leg is a 6 - 7 but when the meds are kicked in I am a 3-4.
2. what pain medications have you been prescribed
  • I am taking 2 Percocet every 4 hours (each pill is 5mg Oxycodone and 375 mg of Acetiminophen
3. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?
  • the issue is my knee. I ice it at last 10 - 12 hours per day keeping the ice pack on until it melts
4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?
  • I elevate constantly. If I am not exercising or walking around, my leg is elevated
5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)
  • I had my assessment on Monday and my flexion was 90 and my extension was -12
6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc.
  • I am not doing much at all. I have cleaned the kitchen a couple of times, cleaned a it of the grout while sitting in a chair, went for coffee with a friend. The pain I am experiencing with this leg is much greater than the pain I experienced with my left TKR which was done 8 weeks prior to this one so I am not doing much. My family is home and are taking really good care of me.
7. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing?
  • I did not do any PT yesterday as I was in a lot of pain and pretty much iced and elevated all day
  • I am doing PT 2-3 times per day (depending on when I wake up) 1 set each time
    • heel slides - I am up to 12-15
    • leg lifts - 12-20 - with roll under knee
    • straight leg raises - 15 - 20
    • roll under ankle and pushing back of knee down - 15-20
    • sitting up in a chair and pushing leg back with other leg - 10
    • sitting up in chair and doing leg raises - 10-15
    • lunges with leg on second stair - 5-10
    • walking with aid of a crutch or cane for 5-15 minutes 4 to 5 times per day

The pain is at RB1-D and it is like it catches and the pain takes my breath away for a second. It goes away once I am sitting with my leg up. It is quite swollen back there compared to my other leg.

Thanks again for your input. I really appreciate it.
 
Hi @71Beetle - sorry about that catching pain. I thought you could do with a joke while you are waiting for Josephine's reply:


A blonde, wanting to earn some money, decided to hire herself out as a handyman and started canvassing a wealthy neighbourhood to see if anyone wanted any work done. She went to the front door of the first house and asked the owner if he had any jobs for her to do. "Well", he said, "you can paint my porch. How much for that?" The blonde said, "How about £50?" The man agreed and told her that the paint and ladders that she might need were in the garage. The man's wife, inside the house, heard the conversation and said to her husband, "She does realise that the porch goes all the way around the house, doesn't she?" The man replied, "Well she should. She was standing on the porch." A little while later the blonde knocked on the door to collect her money. "You've finished already?" the man asked. "Yes," the blonde answered, "and I had paint left over, so I gave it two coats". The man was really impressed and reached in his pocket for the £50. "And by the way," the blonde added, "that's not a Porch, it's a Ferrari".

XXX
 
@ 71 Beetle
Maybe covertly record your husband at night? Maybe if he hears himself snoring, stopping, and gasping for breath, he will take this more seriously.
 
Morning @Jozilla,
I agree on this one. @tiredwife's joke made me laugh :loll:. Her hubby's made me groan. :groan:

It is tough that we cannot take the time our knee requires without the threat of losing money but it is a reality. I will not put my recovery in jeopardy but I was able to manage it last time okay so I hope it will be the same this time. I do enjoy my work so it is not like I am trying to stay away. I am still bitter about the situation but that too will pass.

I am pleased that you are getting some insight from my recovery. Mine is thankfully pretty dull compared to others. When do you go for your next one? This forum is amazing. I cannot imagine where I would be without it. The people are so understanding and positive. It truly is a blessing.

Hope you have a great day!
 
@Old Texan - while this is a good idea, he already knows and is not doing anything about it. I can't force him to get help but I may book an appointment with our GP anyway. He needs to see her about something else anyway. I will just speed up the process..

Hope you are doing well.
 
Hi @tiredwife - here's one vote for your hubby's joke. I liked them both, but his amused my warped brain.

@Old Texan and @71Beetle - I DID record my husband snoring and stopping breathing - he made me delete it and still did nothing. Totally in denial I am afraid. I am just grateful that the recent weight loss seems to have helped.

XX
 
@dogwheels my husband's sense of humor can be a bit warped at times. He will be glad you liked his joke. He LOL at yours, we both did!

Hubby's sleep apnea was bad, I had bugged him for years about it, but nothing worked until he scared himself when he woke up and couldn't catch his breath. After that he was more than willing. My dad had sleep apnea and never had it taken care of, between that and his years of smoking his heart muscles just gave out. I hope all your hubby's scare themselves into getting checked and using the cpap.
 
The pain is at RB1-D
So about here then?

[Bonesmart.org] Canadian Girl's Journey


From your description, it could possibly be a Baker's cyst. They can be very painful and just as you describe. However, since you are only 3 weeks out, it's more likely to be something else. But I'll take a look at your answers first!
pain levels:
The back of the knee when I sit shoot up to an 8 or 9. In general my leg is a 6 - 7 but when the meds are kicked in I am a 3-4.
okay
I am taking 2 5/375 Percocet every 4 hours
It may be this is not enough for you. Have you discussed this with your surgeon and asked about the possibility of having something in addition like oxycdone or Tramadol?
the issue is my knee. I ice it at last 10 - 12 hours per day keeping the ice pack on until it melts
I keep meaning to correct that typo! Do you apply ice at the back of your knee as well?
I elevate constantly. If I am not exercising or walking around, my leg is elevated
Jolly good!
I had my assessment on Monday and my flexion was 90 and my extension was -12
Not bad for 3 weeks out and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I expect your knee is quite swollen, yes? That obstructions both flexion and extension considerably, as does pain.
I am not doing much at all. I have cleaned the kitchen a couple of times, cleaned a it of the grout while sitting in a chair, went for coffee with a friend. The pain I am experiencing with this leg is much greater than the pain I experienced with my left TKR which was done 8 weeks prior to this one so I am not doing much. My family is home and are taking really good care of me.
Then you should be doing anything like this at three weeks. Leave that kind of activity, espcially to going our for coffee, until week 6 at the earliest.
I did not do any PT yesterday as I was in a lot of pain and pretty much iced and elevated all day
Very wise.

My comments will be in bold
I am doing PT 2-3 times per day 1 set each time - once a is plenty and take at least one, preferably two, days off with no exercising at all
heel slides - I am up to 12-15 - heel slides are better done 5 every couple of hours during the day. Be gentle and only go the the point where you knee feels tight. NEVER cause yourself pain will heels slides
sitting up in a chair and pushing leg back with other leg 10 - if you do heel slides as I've suggested, you don't need to do these as well!

half leg lifts 12-20 - do 5 or 6 no more
straight leg raises 15-20 - do 5 or 6 no more
sitting up in chair and doing leg raises 10-15 - you already do two SLR exercises, that's quite sufficient

roll under ankle and pushing back of knee down 15-20 - do 5 or 6, no more
lunges with leg on second stair 5-10 - don't do these yet, it's too early and just increases the swelling. Week 6 is early enough for these
walking with aid of a crutch or cane for 5-15 minutes 4 to 5 times per day - walking for your necessary needs, bathroom, etc., is quite sufficient

So now we can see where your pain is coming from, yes? It makes my suggestion of a Baker's cyst irrelevant.
You need more rest, better pain medication and less exercising.

Did you ever read the recovery articles? There's a lot of information in them about everything I've mentioned
 
Thank you for your quick response @Josephine. The location of pain is right where that dot is.

- I had read the articles after my last surgery but I will review them again.
- I will cut down on the exercises and rest more. I do start physio tomorrow. They were very good with my last TKR so I am not concerned about them pushing me. (I push myself more).
- I will cancel my coffee plans for this evening.

Have you discussed this with your surgeon and asked about the possibility of having something in addition like oxycdone or Tramadol?

The Percocet is 5 mg of Oxycodone so should that not suffice? I have Tramadol left over from my previous surgery but I found it was not as strong as the Percocet before. Do you recommend that I take it instead of the Percocet and see how I do? I have not asked for more intensive meds as yet. What would be stronger than what I am already taking?

I will keep an eye on it and let you know if I have any more concerns. Thank you again!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom