TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

Hello @71Beetle - good for you!! I have a list like that for after mine...I'd guess no at a gut level on the kickboxing. I've done both boxing and kickboxing and I can't see how the new knee would be terribly pleased by it.

I don't know anyone that has had the knee replacement then went to teacher training but I have studied Bikram with a nurse who had had both a hip replaced and an ankle fused and she managed just fine. I think something like Bikram with a fixed amount of poses would be good due to knowing exactly what would be required but there is no doubt a couple of moves would be unlikely.

Can't wait to hear how you do!!
 
4:30 am and my hubby, our two younger boys and our dog have just left. Well, they left at 4:00 am but I can't get back to sleep. I will miss them terribly but I know they will have a good time. Below is a picture of the lake that we took a couple of years ago. It is now on the website of the lodge we stay at. Sure will miss this view this year...

I have massage after work today - what better way to pass the time.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!
[Bonesmart.org] Canadian Girl's Journey
 
Beautiful, just what I needed, up at 2 AM here!
Your family is fortunate to spend time there.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
1. As for the pedicure, if the #4 heels are sandals then definitely go for it but not before the next TKR, only after. If there is no evidence that dental infections can make their way to the knee, would an infection from a cut on the foot be different?
2. Know little about yoga and have no idea what it takes to get a certificate. I would imagine it may take some time to be able to get into some yoga positions.
3. As @icep707 says, boxing and kickboxing might be an individual thing. I have heard of people doing incredible things after a TKR, even running against advise, playing singles tennis, skiing......
4. I am not a fan of flats, low heels, low wedges, etc. I'll wait until I can go straight to the the 5" heels.
[Bonesmart.org] Canadian Girl's Journey
I thought you were a stiletto kind of guy. :)
 
Ok I will admit I haven't been here for a while and decided to just jump in and not read to catch up! I did see something about a pedicure....I have had several since my TRK, nothing was said to me not to. So, I guess I would call the OS office and check for sure.

The lake picture looks beautiful, did you choose not to go because of your knee? Don't you have your other knee coming up soon?

How long is your pool season?




4/1/2014 TKR
 
I would think biking would be ok. I know I'd love to do some biking after I heal as I haven't done that since I was a kid and really liked it, but I don't know if my other joints can handle it.
 
I would think biking would be ok. I know I'd love to do some biking after I heal as I haven't done that since I was a kid and really liked it, but I don't know if my other joints can handle it.
Biking has been wonderful for my recovery! My ROM I feel has really improved due to it.
 
Beautiful lake! I'd love to bring my kayak there.

We bring our kayaks up every year. One year we got too close to a seagulls nest and the mother gull swooped in on us multiple times until we were clear. It was my middle boy and I - I was paddling like all heck trying to protect him and mother gull was flapping like heck trying to protect her young. Moms are like that I guess. :)

We have old kayaks that we bought as Costco more than 5 years ago. I think I will try paddle boarding next. That looks like a lot of fun. My yoga instructor teaches paddle yoga on the boards as well. Next year it will be a plan.
 
The lake picture looks beautiful, did you choose not to go because of your knee? Don't you have your other knee coming up soon?

Yes, my next surgery is on Thursday and they won't be home until Friday. My hubby feels bad about leaving me here but we all love it so I did not want him to miss out. If the last surgery is any indication, I will be so doped up on Thursday that it won't matter if they visit the night of my surgery. My oldest boy is here with me and driving me around when his overactive social calendar allows. :)

How long is your pool season?

We opened the pool on the Victoria Day long weekend in May. It falls a week before the US Memorial Day. Some years we have had it open until mid October (but then we have to put the heater on because of the cooler nights). It is usually not in use much after September. I love the look of it in the fall though with fall colours and sparkling water. :)
 
Hey Canada, Beautiful lake!!! Your hubby is a lucky guy. Plus very considerate to try to have a fish dinner waiting for you after surgery. :realing: Hope you get to go soon.
You sound like me trying to do everything. Feels like getting a new knee is like getting a new life & it's time to catch up. You still have one more knee to go. Be patient. My Doc said the new knee will be stronger than it ever was so I'm guessing there is nothing that I will not be able to do. Still have to be careful as it still needs the full year to be safe. There are so many different muscles & parts that have to heal & get back in shape.
As for the things you are looking for.......High heels..........Very hot but I don't use them.
Pedicure, I don't see a problem. On my airport knee card it says anti biotic for teeth for two years, nothing about toes. I try to cut my toe nails once every month or two if they need it or not. No polish for me but red is hot. Why yes I am a typical male. :flwrysmile:
 
@71Beetle!
Hi there Lisa! I hope you are enjoying your last free or somewhat free weekend for a while!

I took our puppy on a little walk last night (see my thread to learn more about Luci) and all I could think about is how I wish I was getting the other knee done now! But of course it won't happen until late fall.

I need to lose some weight and be in better physical condition for this next go around...and I need to start working in that, it isn't just going to happen!
I feel like finally for the first time since the beginning of the year I ca breathe and just do my job! I hope I still feel like that in a few weeks!

You must have a heater for the pool, it is outside, right? That is a pretty long pool season for being north of even me (Nebraska!) my community was hit by hail last week, we escaped it for several weeks but not forever.

When do the boys get home fronted lake?


4/1/2014 TKR
 
Hi @ironman60 - thanks for the advice from someone who's been there. Patience is not a virtue of mine so I have been surprised that I have been holding off on doing more. I do think I will have to wait a good while to get back to the level of activity I was before but I will work up to it to ensure I don't injure any other parts of the body!
 
@Tamsmom. Thanks for stopping by. You have made some great progress since April. I am pleased that you are feeling well! Is it the OS that says you need to lose weight before your next surgery or is this something you want?

We heat our pool at the beginning of the season and then we keep the solar blanket on it. The sun is on the pool all day so we don't have to put the heater on until the fall. Today it was 89F but it felt like 99F with the humidity. The pool stays between 78-82 degrees which is perfect for us.

The boys will be home from the lake on the 4th of July. It sounds like fishing is going well but not as well as the Spring trip was. They are having a good time though.
 
I am sitting here icing and elevating after a trip to the mall with my mom. Her birthday is next week so I bought her a nice pair of sandals. I also bought myself 3 pair of shoes (flats), 3 summer dresses that are work appropriate and two tank tops. It has been a long time since I have felt good enough to shop but man I am tired!

What a gorgeous weekend we have had. My best friend came over for some pool time yesterday then I watched a movie with my oldest boy before he went out to a friends place to play Dungeons and Dragons. I played that game when I was in Grade 8 a million years ago. It is nice to see that non-computer games are still being played.

Today my dad picked me up and took me back to their place for brunch before dropping my mom and I off at the mall. Now I am home and will do my PT, have a nap then make a late dinner. My son is out again for the evening so I am doing some work that needs to get done before I leave work again.

Hope everyone has had an enjoyable weekend! :flwrysmile:
 
Weight is mine thoughts doctor has never said a thing, but I am not naive...


4/1/2014 TKR
 
I had my right knee done June 11 how far apart are your knee replacements scheduled


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Tamsmom - losing weight is always a struggle. Don't be too hard on yourself. Having well functioning knees will allow you to do more and help with the weight loss. I have gained 60 pounds since I stopped running - it slowly crept up on me and I did not manage it. I asked my OS about it and he said that I was still healthy and strong and he figured that if we got my knees sorted out, I would be able to focus on my fitness much easier. I am pumped to get back to the level of fitness I was 5 years ago. I am turning 50 in December and though I don't expect to lose 60 pounds by then, I do want to be well on my way.

Hi @JanetK - welcome! How is your recovery going? I will be at 8 weeks on my left knee on Monday and getting my right knee done on Thursday. I am not excited about the surgery but I am excited to get it all behind me and get my life back. I will go and check out your thread to learn more about your story.

Are both of the dogs in your profile picture golden retrievers? I see the one on the left certainly is. Looks exactly like my golden, Griffin.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom