Guest viewing is limited

TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

Sounds like you have everything in order for your next journey! I'm seeing my surgeon this afternoon and hopefully will not need a MUA! Actually I am quite hopeful and and don't intend to agree to it in any case. I believe if I'm not quite there yet I will be soon.
 
@MCD. I hope you won't have to go through a MUA! I did speak to a new lady in physio today who had it done on her first TKR. She said it was not so bad. Her doctor did it in between surgeries - put her under, manipulated, then sent her home. She said she felt bruised for a few days but it really improved her MUA. I think it would be early for you to have to consider it (this is what I have learned from the forums). Is it your extension or your flexion that is not improving that would make them consider a MUA?
 
We are getting a TON of rain in Ottawa today. Another week we won't have to top up the pool :)

I received some dreadful news from my boss. He has been diagnosed with cancer. :sad: The doctors say that they have not found the source so he has to go through many more tests. The cancer is in his lymph nodes so they figure it is coming from one of the organs. Until they can find it, they cannot treat it. He has some good doctors in his camp but he is actually thinking of going to the US to get things in motion quicker. We have "free" healthcare in Canada but it takes longer than if he is to pay for it in the US. He has the means to afford it so I do hope he does that. He needs answers soon if he is going to lick this. He has 4 daughters, his business, aging parents, etc. so much to live for. He is really scared. I have known him since college and completely broke down when he came into my office and closed the door to tell me. His spouse is out of town chaperoning one of their daughter on a volunteer trip to the Dominican so he is dealing with it by himself right now. I am so saddened by this. As much as I am peeved about how he has treated my leave over my surgeries, he does not deserve this. He is a great father, spouse, son and is a good friend to me. Please send positive vibes his way.

My physio went well today. I was able to go up and down the stairs normally which is exciting. I am now confident to try going down my stairs at home properly now too. The riser is higher on my stairs but I will keep at it. That is a big thing for me to achieve before my next surgery. I won't push it of course, but I really want it. My ROM is 106/-2 - only 1 degree better than last week on the flexion and the same on the extension. At least the number is going up and I am not regressing :)

Hope everyone is having a a great day/evening/night!
 
@Phil75070 2 degrees ore and I will be at 0. I am happy with that number but I was expecting a bigger jump on the flexion. I was 105 last week and only 106 this week. Will keep at it. I would love to be at 110 before my next surgery.

My boss has been "off" for a bit but could not figure out what it was. He went to Australia at Christmas and when he came back, he had really bad back pains and the lymph nodes in his groin were really swollen. The doctors thought he had contracted something in Australia and ran him through a battery of tests. Nothing conclusive there. They treated it like an infection and he was on penicillin for two rounds. Still no relief. He has gone for x-rays, MRIs, colonoscopy, the works. He just got the news yesterday and it was still a pretty raw subject so I did not ask too many details. He was seeing his doctor again this afternoon so I may know more tomorrow. Thanks for your kind words. I am so worried for him.
 
Lisa,
Sorry to hesr about your boss, hope they figure it out soon, and he receives excellent treatment.
Thoughts and prayers,
 
Lisa, @71Beetle

I am sorry to hear your boss's bad news. I hope they find the primary source of the cancer as fast as possible, so that they can quickly begin to treat it.

Please don't let your concern for him or your worries about the situation at work have a negative impact on your own recovery. I know that you'll fee obligated to help there as much as possible, but don't forget to take care of yourself. :friends:
 
Thank you for the sound advice @Celle. He was not in the office today as he had a number of appointments. I am only in the office until Monday then I am off for my right TKR. I will keep in touch with him through texts and emails but will be focussing on my recovery. I did tell him I wish I could do more.
 
@dogwheels @Phil75070 @Celle @Pumpkln @JustJeff @suzzee2000 @busylizzie @hopefaith @DogLoverx3 @Nana moon 27 @amab @Haze @maryo52 @Wednesday @robograndma @ironman60 @kneeper @Tamsmom @LauraLeigh @Mai5ie @MCD @jbucks @patient 99 @Lily2450 @IrishMike @sibbi1123 - hope I a not missing anyone.

I must be going through a different kind of healing as I now have a number of "I wonder if I can" and "I wonder when I can" questions. Maybe some of my fellow BoneSmart peeps have the answers to a few of these. Some of them may seem vain and I apologize for that in advance :)

1. At what point after my surgery can I get a pedicure? I gave my toenails a polish the week after my last one but I am talking about the whole spa treatment.
2. It is on my bucket list to get my yoga training certification. I have neglected yoga for a few years because of the knee pain. I have been able to keep up with some of the poses and have kept a lot of my flexibility. Is there anyone out there that does yoga after TKR and is there anyone that has completed the yoga certified training after TKR?
3.What about boxing and kickboxing? I have not done this before but a friend of mine is opening a studio and I can get a cheap membership. She thinks it should be okay but has not trained TKR patients before.
4. I have asked this one before but will ask again to see if there are more answers. When can I start wearing heels again?

I can't wait to hear the answer from @Phil75070 and @JustJeff for #4. :)

Had a bit of a lazy day today. Worked fro 10-2 then came home and had a nap before dinner and have been on the couch elevating and icing since. I am about to do my exercises and will then get some laundry done before calling it a night.

Hoep everyone has had a great day!
 
#1. Ask your OS , I have no idea, wouldn't trust cleanliness of pedicure place unless I took my own stuff.
#2 yoga certificate, no reason why not, modify as needed
#3 I wouldn't, but I do not know much about kickboxing.
#4 when they are comfortable, and how high the heels are that you want to wear.

Glad you had a lazy day!
 
@71Beetle , I did not know you are getting the other knee done. Hope it goes well. You know what to expect and how to handle the situation. However you are about 7 weeks out from the first one. That knee will get soo much better and stronger , sooner than later. As for boxing and kickboxing and yoga , only time will tell. Its very individual. I think you will be able to whatever you want . I was told to avoid running. Too much impact. My knee is unbelievable . Its one of the best things I have had done for myself. So rewarding. Best of luck. Iceman
 
Hi @71Beetle - I really like your style! Pedicure; kick boxing; yoga and heels - with one knee done and one about to be. That's what I call positive thinking. Love it!

@Pumpkln is right about the pedicure. In my time I have had so many, and let's just say there have been different levels of hygiene and procedure. Eg - most Asian-run places here will use a blade on the bottom of your feet, most UK ones do not and just use abrasives. I actually prefer the blade, but before my TKR I wouldn't risk anything, so I went to a medical foot clinic and had a pedi there. I told them beforehand to be careful, as it was about a week beforehand. No spa foot bath, all personal and disinfected items, it was super. Have to say the polish job wasn't the best, but then it all had to come off before the op anyway. You need to be very careful from the point of view of cuts and infection.
I have no idea about the yoga, but again @Pumpkln's advice is sound. @TexasTee will be interested!
Kickboxing, again no idea. I think @icep707 is right. It will be a matter of individual choice and ability. At the moment I have to say my knee quivers at the very thought of it. He is right about the impact aspect. We have put off buying a RIB this year, as I feel and hubby agrees that the impact on my knee would be too great at this early stage. You usually stand when the boat is travelling, so locking your knees back and taking the impact of bumps and slamming on the water, is not something I want to do yet!
As for the shoes, I had a l-o-n-g talk about this with my PT, and I think it is somewhere on my thread. Ha! Found it! This is the progression that she suggested to me:

1. comfortable, well fitting flats
2. well fitting - slight wedge
3. higher wedge or small heel (the squatter the heel the better, not stilettos)
4. slightly higher wide heel or very low thin heel.
Then increasing as you are able or feel the need, with the proviso that comfort over vanity should always prevail with a big old safety warning thrown in. Don't do it if it hurts or you don't feel safe. There is more to life than vertiginous heels (really??) and better a lower heel than tripping a*se over t*t or more politely base over apex.


Have a good day!
XX
 
@Pumpkln, @icep707 @dogwheels, Thank you for your responses. You are right, everyone is different. I think my brain is working over time. It seems like it has been so long since I have done anything that now that my left knee is feeling so much better, I see a light at the end of the tunnel (and it's not a train) so my mind goes right to all of the things I have been missing out on.

My OS recommended that I stop running which I have finally accepted. So I am just trying to think of other things that can give me the same rush that I used to get from running.

Time will tell. I better get the next knee done before I get ahead of myself.

Enjoy your day!
 
@RunA42K has had to give up running, and has struggled with finding another activity. It may take her a while to respond, as she has a new job managing a running store and is very busy.
She and Sonja are planning on walking in a half marathon in about 6 months in the Houston area.
I agree, you are getting a head of yourself!
 
@RunA42K has had to give up running, and has struggled with finding another activity. It may take her a while to respond, as she has a new job managing a running store and is very busy.
She and Sonja are planning on walking in a half marathon in about 6 months in the Houston area.
I agree, you are getting a head of yourself!
Looks like I need to read the entire thread, and I will and come back. Getting ready for work now. I may not be able to run, but I can work in a running store and talk about running all day!
[Bonesmart.org] Canadian Girl's Journey
 
#1. Ask your OS , I have no idea, wouldn't trust cleanliness of pedicure place unless I took my own stuff.
#2 yoga certificate, no reason why not, modify as needed
#3 I wouldn't, but I do not know much about kickboxing.
#4 when they are comfortable, and how high the heels are that you want to wear.

Glad you had a lazy day!
She said heels! (Hehehe)
 
You certainly will be able to ride a biycycle ! And there are some very nice ones out there. I just have a hard time spending 2,000$ on one. Like you said , try not to put the carriage in front of the horse. Time will tell but I believe everything short of running will be possiable and even then , that may be possiable. We will see. Keep us posted. Iceman
 
1. As for the pedicure, if the #4 heels are sandals then definitely go for it but not before the next TKR, only after. If there is no evidence that dental infections can make their way to the knee, would an infection from a cut on the foot be different?
2. Know little about yoga and have no idea what it takes to get a certificate. I would imagine it may take some time to be able to get into some yoga positions.
3. As @icep707 says, boxing and kickboxing might be an individual thing. I have heard of people doing incredible things after a TKR, even running against advise, playing singles tennis, skiing......
4. I am not a fan of flats, low heels, low wedges, etc. I'll wait until I can go straight to the the 5" heels.
[Bonesmart.org] Canadian Girl's Journey
 
I am a physiotherapy graduate!!! Today was the last session for me and two others. I brought a box of Timbits (donut holes from Tim Hortons for those that are not familiar with this Canadian delicacy) and someone else brought sparkling grape juice. We had a really good crew. Someone that had been there before said we had a lively bunch compared to his last sessions in December. My flexion is 106 and my extension is -2. The PT gave me some tips when I get my next TKR done next week that will keep me moving forward on the left knee.

I am now home icing and elevating. My hubby and my two younger boys are heading up north for our annual vacation. I will miss being up there but they will be home the day after my surgery so it won't be so bad. My oldest boy will take me to work on Friday and Monday then I will be off. He has plans pretty much all weekend so I will have a lot of time to myself. My best friend is coming for lunch and a swim on Saturday though.

It is likely good to have a bit of time to myself. The kids are finished school and my husband had his last school bus run today so I will have a house full of people when I come out of the hospital. Our place is where the boys' friends like to hang out (may have something to do with the pool) so there will be kids all over the place! I have good boys and they know I don't want to spend my days up in my room so they will likely keep it quiet for the week I am home so I can sleep on the couch but I don't want them to lose their summer fun so I will be fine with the house full. More people to be at my beck and call too :)

It is a beautiful warm day in Ottawa and the forecast looks good through the weekend. I think I may go out and try those exercises that @dogwheels sent me when my hubby gets home.

Chat with you all later!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom