TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

Hello there everybody!

My day started with meds at 5:45 am. Exercised, showered and got ready for my pre-op appointment. My son was not thrilled to be awake at 6:15 am to drive me but he went back to bed when he got home anyway. Had x-rays, blood tests, EKG (never had that before), met with the nurse and then waited for an hour to see the anesthesiologist. When I had arrived I asked if it was necessary to see the anesthesiologist, given that I saw one 7 weeks ago, and they said yes. When I met him and told him I had had the left TKR done in May, he looked at me and sent me on my way. That 's an hour of my life I'll never get back :)

My dad picked me up and I went back to my parents place for lunch and a visit. Then he drove me back to the hospital for physio. My son picked me up and I am now at home elevating and icing and thinking of having a little nap before dinner. I am going to try to stay awake and hope it helps me sleep better tonight. It was 2:00 by the time I went to sleep last night so I am working on very little sleep right now.

I am doing better with physio and my gait has improved. My OS had bent my knee up when I was lying back when I saw him yesterday. Something pulled but was not painful. I was a bit sore last night and this morning my swelling was not as bad and my gait was much better. Perhaps he did some sort of manipulation or perhaps I am imagining all of this. (If it is the latter, then I blame the meds...that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Tomorrow I work and then go for massage. I cannot wait for that (the massage, not the working). Then it is the weekend! :yes!:

It will be a quiet weekend but I plan to get some swimming in and make up some platers to fill some spaces in my gardens. May take a trip to the nursery to by some annual as well. We will see.

What is everyone else doing over the weekend?
 
Glad the pre op is behind you, soon the other knee will be done.
Friday hope to meet some friends for coffee. Maybe a swim over the weekend, only if the pool is warm!
Otherwise will watch soccer and let my knee heal.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
I plan to get some swimming in and make up some platers to fill some spaces in my gardens. May take a trip to the nursery to by some annual as well. We will see.
What is everyone else doing over the weekend?

@71Beetle I don't make plans anymore. The word premeditated tends to get thrown around the courtroom.
 
My youngest, the tag along child turns 18 on Saturday and she is making sure we celebrate the whole darn weekend!


4/1/2014 TKR
 
Hi @Tamsmom - that is a mile stone - 18 years old. What will you be doing to celebrate? Make sure you get rest and ice throughout the festivities!
 
@dogwheels @Phil75070 @Celle @Pumpkln @JustJeff @suzzee2000 @busylizzie @hopefaith @DogLoverx3 @Nana moon 27 @amab @Haze @maryo52 @Wednesday @robograndma @ironman60 @kneeper @Tamsmom @LauraLeigh @Mai5ie @MCD @jbucks @patient 99 @Lily2450 @IrishMike @sibbi1123 - hopefully I am not missing anyone.

Hope you are all doing well and have some fun plans for the weekend. Except you @Phil75070 - you don't want to make plans for fear of what will happen in court. :)

Busy day at work today. I swear, technology is supposed to make our world better but in my workplace it just means more matrices and reports that my boss can run to see where we are failing or where we need to improve. I actually asked if he ever runs reports on the good stuff. :) Technology = Big Brother. <sigh> I don't worry because I know what I am doing and I am good at it, if I may say so myself, but geez the amount of time we waste meeting to talk about the latest report could be time selling and making money for the company (and me of course).

I should not complain but I am still a bit bitter about the whole leave thing for my surgeries. Although my boss actually offered for me to work part time again next week as it is the last week I am working before my next surgery.

My son picked me up after work and took me to massage. When I win the lottery, I swear I will create a massage room in my house and hire a masseuse to come in everyday to give me a massage. She loosened me up a lot. As I knew my IT band is really tight. She worked a lot on that and it was glorious. There is still a lot of tightness so I am going again next Friday. What a way to end the week!

I just came in from out back. We have a fire going in the fire pit. My middle boy has a friend over and they were throwing firecrackers in the fire and howling with surprise when they went off (wow there's a surprise - firecrackers make noise when thrown in a fire). They are still out there with my hubby but I was getting tired and my leg was telling me it wanted elevation and ice.

I will now try to get some sleep. I actually slept from 2:00 am to 8:00 am last night with no wake up time. There were times that I stirred to get comfortable but overall slept right through. Now this is progress! I have dropped the middle of the night oxycodone unless I wake up in a lot of pain. It means that I take Tramadol and Tylenol as soon as I wake up but I am okay with that.

Wishing everyone a fantastic weekend! :flwrysmile:
 
We would like to do an Alaskan cruise as well, one with the inland excursion at the end of it. We went on a Western Caribbean cruise, which was our first and only, and my wife absolutely loved it and can't wait to go on another.
sign me up for Alaska. kayaking with orcas! yes!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
What a way to end the week!
Same here, I had a massage this afternoon, and will again next Friday :SUNsmile:.
What a busy day you had, Firecrackers going off when you throw them in a fire, who'd of thunk it.:rotfl:
I had one go off in my hand at about the same age as your boys, my fingers went numb, scared me to death, and I stay away from pyrotechnics, except at a safe distance.
Saw your surgery date, and thought she is having it the day before a holiday, then realized, it is not a holiday in Canada.:heehee:
Have a great weekend!
 
July 1st is the holiday in Canada @Pumpkln - we like to show you guys how it is done so you get it right on the 4th :heehee:.

I will miss being up at the fishing camp we usually go to every year. The fireworks are great shining off of the lake. All of the guests on the island bring a package or more of fireworks so we end up having quite a display. My hubby and two youngest boys will enjoy it. My oldest will go downtown with his friends for the fireworks and I will be here watching TV and preparing for my surgery. I tell you, I have become an exciting woman since my surgery :)
 
I finally finished my planters today. I will now ice and elevate. Next activity will be dead-heading the irises and doing some weeding. That will either be later today or maybe tomorrow. I am happy to have it done though!
 
@71Beetle Someone in the pre-op area mentioned having gone out and mowed the lawn. I told her that I was in the market for a new lawn service. However, she didn't mention anything about tending to flowers or doing any weeding? Care to compete for the job?

[Bonesmart.org] Canadian Girl's Journey
[Bonesmart.org] Canadian Girl's Journey
 
Next time I am in Texas, I would be pleased to tend to your flowers @Phil75070. Before my knees were shot, I was seriously thinking of starting a planting and weeding service. I love creating gardens and tending to them. My mom is the same. Her grandfather was an award winning horticulturist so it runs in the family.

I have so much work to do with my gardens. We had a long and harsh winter this year and a number of my grasses around the pool did not survive. I am trying to figure what I will put there. I have an overstock garden at the side of my house where I throw extra plants as I split and replant. I have a lot of lilies in there so I may just replace the grasses with them. Someone else will have to do the digging for me though.

I am not proud of the state of my garden so will not be posting any pictures. Last year I was unable to do much and this year is obviously worse. Hopefully next year I will be back to my proud gardens.
 
Gorgeous day out today in Ottawa. My best friend came over for a swim and chat and we just enjoyed the morning. my parents then came over for a visit and I am now icing and elevating and contemplating a short nap. :)

I found my leg felt really foreign when I was swimming - kind of like it was too heavy for me. It felt weird for sure. Anybody else had this occur?

Hope everyone has had a fantastic weekend!
 
I believe the typical knee replacement weighs about a pound. I don't think the bone, cartilage and ligaments removed amount to that much. Just walking around I have the sense that my surgical leg feels "heavy".

my parents then came over for a visit and I am now icing and elevating and contemplating a short nap. :)

Direct correlation?
 
Hi Lisa just catching up on your thread. I am truly amazed. You sound nothing like a woman who has just had major surgery and is about to do it again. When my knee plays up a lot I think to myself `they shouldn't be doing these implants, they are too painful'. But of course when it works, as it has for you, they are nothing short of a miracle. Will you be discussing high heel shoes on the operating table come July 3:heehee: Carol
 
@patient 99 - Carol, thank you for your kind words. You just made my day!

I don't think I am doing that well but we are our own worst critics. I am pleased that everyday gets a bit better but I cannot wait to get off the meds. I am so looking forward to be healed from both of the surgeries. I have been putting off so much until "after the knee replacements". In some cases I use it as a crutch, pardon the pun. I have so many plans I will be exhausted for the next 5 years. Top of the list is to lose weight and get my fitness level back. As a former runner, it is difficult to see how out of shape I have become. Running allowed me to eat and drink whatever I wanted and when I could no longer run, I went into a downward spiral with fitness and eating habits and I am paying for it now. This of course, is not good for my knees either.

A new wardrobe, including shoes, will be in my future as well. I should indeed ask my surgeon when I can wear heels again before he operates on me! :)
 
Hi Canada, figured I better catch up on you before I get too far behind. Sounds like you are doing great.
At least great considering all you have going on. Won't be long & you will be running in your high heels.
Good luck with the next one.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom