TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

What movie did you see yesterday?

Just think of yourself as having a bilateral knee replacement!
How is your extension? That is what we need to stride out properly!


4/1/2014 TKR
 
@LauraLeigh Thanks so much for the good wishes. I am sure it will be fine. I just keep my eyes on the prize - a pain free existence and the ability to do all of the things I have been sidelined from for the past 5 years!
 
Hi @Tamsmom - we saw 22 Jump Street - completely inappropriate but the guys enjoyed it and that's what counts. There are a lot of funny parts but I found it crude.

I feel the same way about thinking of my surgeries as a bilateral though I find the bilateral patients a lot braver than I am. My extension is really good so I hope that will help in getting around. Right now my right knee is bugging me a lot more than my TKR knee so I am looking forward to having it all over with.

How are you doing?
 
Hobbling is not really that with two new knees as you'll get used to using therm both, balanced. You'll walk (sort of) normally. My daughter just took me out to dinner in Easton, PA. afterwards, we walled around town. I noticed that I'm walking faster than ever and smoothly! It'll happen to you too!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Had a busy day today. Worked from 8-2 with a 1.5 hour team lunch at a local brewery (too bad I could not have a cold one). Raspberry Wheat Beer is the brew of the month and I am not fond of fruity beer so all was not lost. I likely would have ordered a blonde brew if I was not on meds.

Went to physio and measured 105 and -2! Woo Hoo progress! I was very excited. I see my surgeon tomorrow and I am sure he will be pleased. Came home and had a lovely spaghetti dinner and now I am icing and elevating and watching America's Got Talent. Don't judge me please :)

I have been watching some of the FIFA World Cup but to be honest with you, I am so tired of the dives and the embellishments that go on. Does anyone else wonder how grown men with such athletic abilities can be such cry babies? Let's see them go through TKR! :happydance:I know it is all fake but it is so annoying and is truly getting out of hand. If I wanted to watch stuff like that I would watch WWE.
 
I went for my OS appointment today for the six week follow up. He is pleased with my progress and did not mention MUA. He did not measure but brought the knee up while I was laying back and was satisfied. PHEW. :)
He compared my TKR left knee with my soon to be TKR right knee on the x-ray. It was interesting to see it in that perspective. My right knee is completely bone on bone, he showed me where the bone spurs were - I did not think you could see that through an x-ray, and he showed me the alignment which is horrendous. I think he did this to keep me keen on getting it fixed in two weeks. I meant to ask him if I could get a copy of those x-rays. I will frame them and put them in my exercise room to motivate me to keep active. Not that I need much motivation - I have been sidelined for 5 years and cannot wait to get back to my former activity level.

Worked until 2:00 and have been home icing and elevating since. I am about to go for my daily walk with my hubby so he can comment on my gait. I am still trying to master the heel first. I have spent so long limping it is taking a long time to get a normal gait back. I think someone else mentioned the same thing yesterday.

I am off work tomorrow. I have my pre-op appointment at 7:20 am and physio at 2:00. Blood tests, x-rays, meeting with the Anesthesiologist (not sure why I see him again - I just saw one 6 weeks ago). It will be a long day. Good thing there is a Tim Horton's at the hospital. They make a really good steeped tea. If there is a lot of time between the pre-op and physio I will go to the mall down the street. I need some new shoes and I have not enjoyed retail therapy in a while.

We are having Chicken Quesadillas for dinner. Yum!

Hope everyone is having a good day!
 
@71Beetle Even though you just had the right knee done about 6 weeks ago, you have to go through the whole pre-op approval workup again?
 
@Phil75070 - I asked the same question and they said I do. I am hoping I will not have to see the Anesthesiologist again. I know what takes place given that this will be my third knee surgery. We will see tomorrow. I think the blood tests are to make sure my blood is thick enough as it has only been four weeks since finished my blood thinners. Who knows. They likely get money from the province for every procedure. Getting my taxes worth anyway :)
 
You are one brave lady. I'm putting off my hip surgeries as long as possible. Glad you are doing so well. I'm at about the same level you are now, even though I'm two months along. Wish I'd had the proper PT from the beginning cause I'm enjoying it , even though I'm sore for a day or two after. You have the benefit of knowing exactly what to expect this time and can already see the benefit to be gained.
 
Good thing there is a Tim Horton's at the hospital.
I had seen the Tim Horton signs on TV, and was on my bucket list. We finally made it in 2011, in Vancouver, during the playoffs the town was crazy:happydance:. The night we were they Vancouver had won, glad we were not in town for that last game:sad:.
Glad to hear you had a good report too :yay:.
Wishing you all the best for your next TKR, putting you on the road back to your active life :hiking:.
 
Thanks @MCD and @Pumpkln - I am pleased the appointment went well.

So @Pumpkln, what did you think of Tim Horton's. I don't drink coffee but I know lots of people that love it. There are always lineups but the service is usually really quick and a lot cheaper than Starbuck's. My boy's love their frozen lemonade.

The Vancouver riots happened during the playoffs that year didn't they. Did you see one of the playoff games? I would love to go to a playoff game other than Ottawa - seen a lot of Ottawa ones.
 
I liked Tim Horton's, I was thrilled just to be there. Had coffee and a donut, enjoyed them thorougly.
We did not go to the playoffs, the town was electric and it was great fun to be around.
We were there for an Alaska cruise, my knee went out totally the day we were leaving, I said grab my crutches, I am going no matter what.
Missed all the shopping, but can do that anywhere. I was able to go on all the day trips we had planned and had a wonderful time. It worked well, when I was tired, I could go back to the cabin and rest.
 
@Pumpkln, I would love to go on an Alaskan cruise. My husband's family are going this year to celebrate their 50th Anniversary. I have never been on a cruise before. Too bad your knee went out the day you were leaving Talk about bad timing!
 
We would like to do an Alaskan cruise as well, one with the inland excursion at the end of it. We went on a Western Caribbean cruise, which was our first and only, and my wife absolutely loved it and can't wait to go on another.
 
A cruise sounds like great post TKR or THR vacation, your room is never far away if you need to rest. The onshore excursions vary from sedentary to very active, you can choose the one that is right for you. With plenty of shipboard activities to enjoy or not.
 
A cruise sounds like great post TKR or THR vacation, your room is never far away if you need to rest.

Great idea! In 5 years we should do it as a BoneSmart reunion! By then we may be chatting about hip replacements. (Perish the thought!)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom