TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

Hi @IrishMike - I booked a massage next week! I am in a group physio class so there is no time for them to do individual massages unfortunately.

@ironman60 that is a good idea. I have a massage chair - it actually has a massager for the calves but I have not used that option because I have been afraid it will be too tight. I am going to give it a go though!

@Tamsmom - not a great sleep but better than the night before. At least last night it did not take as long to fall back to sleep the multiple times I woke up. :)
 
A pretty good day today but busy and I am feeling it now. Worked from 8am to noon. Then my oldest and I went to an Open House for the Photography & Media Design Diploma at the local college that he will be attending in the Fall. Same college that I graduated from 27 years ago! Time sure flies!

After we went for the tour and got the information on the computer and camera he needs we were off to the Apple Store at the Mall. Dropped too much money on a computer and all of the peripherals required. Then I bought him a couple of pair of pants and a couple of shirts. We still have to buy the camera but will wait for some sales on that.

When he picked me up from work he had chopped off a ton of his hair. Over his ears and very presentable. He says he needs to focus on getting a job to pay for all of this. Very noble of him but my husband and I have been putting money into a Registered Education Savings Plan since each of our boys were born so his education is taken care of. He is very pleased about that and said he will definitely do the same for his kids - not that there is a rush for him to have kids thank God.

Anyway, by the time we got home my knee and ankle were swollen so I have been elevating and icing and he had gone off to apply at some more stores. It is not easy for kids to find work these days. He does some computer work for a website but it does not bring in a lot of money. He also works at the Ottawa Senators Arena parking lot but given there is no hockey in Ottawa right now he only works when there are concerts. The next shift is when Michael Buble comes on July 2nd so he does not get a lot of money from that either right now.

We are supposed to have a nice weekend and I have been cleared to swim so I am hoping to do some exercises in the pool and lounge in the water. We are taking my hubby out to a movie on Sunday for Father's Day and will then go an visit with my parents to wish my dad a Happy Father's Day.

My youngest has two 4 on 4 hockey games tomorrow and my middle boy is volunteering with his cadet corp at the Diefenbunker Museum where they are hosting a Father's Day at the Bunker event tomorrow. It will be a busy weekend driving the kids to their activities but it is good to get out. I am only a passenger anyway.

I am excited about the full moon on Friday the 13th. No I am not a witch (though some people would question that - and possibly replace the "w" with a "b"). I just think it is cool that a full moon on Friday the 13th is not supposed to happen for another 35 years.

I hope that LA wins the Stanley Cup tonight too!

Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend.
To all the Dad's out there in the BoneSmart community, have a wonderful Father's Day! :flwrysmile:
 
First thing I need to address is the fly walking around @phils posting,took me a minute to figure it out that it wasn't a bug on my screen (Yes, I tried to kill it).
I am at 12 weeks recovery and all of a sudden the pain that had been gone since Mothers Day is back. I am still just taking tylenol however for pain and tonight I just took an ambien, the drug I had but it works. Have to be sharp in the morning so need to get off the computerbefore I do a "ambien shopping" trip. Amazon and Zappos boxes arrive at my door and I sometimes do not remember ordering......Or go posting photos of my scars in heels while under the influence. My rule is to shut down computer if I take a sleeping pill, gets me in trouble.
So I'm saying goodnight]
 
I have tried to sleep for over two hours! I just cannot get comfortable. I just made some herbal tea to help. I am going to be tired tomorrow!

@sibbi1123 - have a good sleep - likely good that you are not shopping on line while medicated. I wonder what the return policy would be under such circumstances. :)
 
Today was a lazy day. I was going to go with my hubby to take the kids to their activities but after yesterday and joining the ODIC, I decided to just relax and elevate and do a small bit of exercise and ice, of course.

So other than feeling like a slug for not moving around a lot, my knees are the better for it. As a matter of fact, the right knee is worse than the left, the operated on one.

We are going to a movie tomorrow for Father's Day then visiting with my parents. Will take it easy in the afternoon. Hoping the weather will be nicer so I can get into the pool!
 
@dogwheels @Phil75070 @Celle @Ellejay @Pumpkln @Jozilla @JustJeff @suzzee2000 @busylizzie @hopefaith @DogLoverx3 @nana moon27 @oldtexan @amab @Haze @maryo52 @Wednesday @robograndma @ironman60 @kneeper @Tamsmom @LauraLeigh @Mai5ie @MCD @jbucks @hgarcia @patient 99 @Lily2450 @sibbi1123 @IrishMike

I hope I did not neglect to add anyone. I just wanted to say a quick hello and see how everyone is doing.

Tomorrow I celebrate 6 weeks since my LTKR. Still on meds pretty regularly, still having sleep issues but I have not cried for no reason since my last rant and the pain seems to be getting better day be day. I find I have not improved on my flexion though I still keep up with my exercises. I ice and I elevate but see little improvement. My right knee bugs me more when I am standing but my left knee (the one that was operated on) hurts more when I sit or lay down. Does anyone else have this issue?

Today was a gorgeous day in Ottawa. Had troubles getting into the pool so did not swim much but it felt good to swim a bit. Had a nice Father's Day. Visited my parents and my boys spoiled my hubby. His choice for dinner was pizza which my oldest picked up so I wouldn't have to cook. What a sweetie thinking of both his parents on Father's Day.

Have a busy week with work (still 10-2). PT on Tuesday and Thursday, 6 week check with OS on Wednesday, pre-op appointment on Thursday for my next surgery and massage on Friday. Pretty much takes care of the week. We are going to have fantastic weather all week. I hope it lasts for next weekend!

Good Night All! :yawn:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@71Beetle

That sounds like a pretty good progress report! :yay::happydance:

As always, I'll be the voice of caution and remind you not to do or expect too much, as it is still very early days along your road to full recovery. As long as you don't do anything to annoy your knee, your ROM will continue to improve slowly. Remember that it's possible to continue to improve ROM for a year or more after the surgery.
 
@71Beetle, I'm glad you're doing so well and that you were able to swim a bit - here's hoping your gorgeous weather and your steady improvement continue for many weeks!
 
Hi @Celle - thank you for your kind words. I do know that it will heal with time. My biggest concern is when I get my other knee done. Right now I do not have the ROM to take steps properly. I am getting there with going up, depending on the swelling but going down is not there at all. How will I manage stairs once I get the other knee done? I am not concerned about when it comes other than that. I do have an OS that is concerned though and will be talking MUA when I see him on Wednesday. Like I said before, if he wants to do it while I am under with the next surgery, he can be my guest but I cannot see getting it done before then.

I hope you have a wonderful Monday! It is sunny here this morning and the birds are chirping a sweet song. Except for the black birds - they ruin any melody that the other birds may be attempting
 
@beetle71 popping in to say hi. How is the calf pain? That sounds difficult. When I even hear MUA I cringe. What I see on here over and over is that the angry tissues will heal and ROM will come gradually. If I am wrong please someone correct me. That meal your hubby prepared sounds yummy!
~hopefaith
 
Hi @hopefaith, the calf pain is not as bad right now. I have been stretching a lot and that seems to help. Still have the tight IT Band but I am hoping that will be better after my massage on Friday (can't wait for that)!

I cringe when I hear MUA as well, though not as badly as my hubby who turns a funny shade of green as soon a I mention it :)

Hope your day is going well! Thanks for checking in.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
If you need a MUA, I would think they will do it when you have you second TKR.
What is your ROM?



Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @Phil75070 - I think it is early too. I think my OS is just worried about me getting up and down stairs, when I have my right knee done in a couple of weeks if I cannot lift my knee properly. It is a concern for me as well. I am, at best, 94 on flexion. No concern with extension though. It is between 0 and -4 depending on the swelling.
 
Hi @Pumpkln - that is what I am thinking too. I cannot see any benefit in having it done any earlier as I am only 17 days to my next surgery. But who's counting. How are you doing?
 
ODIC walking over the weekend and my leg is SORE! My massge therapist is coming over tomorrow and hopefully we can work it out. I wrote more in my thread.
I am wondering if it has something to do with the "small" hill up to the pool on Saturday. I did use my crutches, but is was work to get up there.
How are you doing with the second surgery in less than 3 weeks?
 
I am doing okay thanks @Pumpkln - just a bit concerned about hobbling with both legs but I figure if people get by with two legs done at one time then I should be okay.

My hubby is taking the boys up to Temagami for our annual vacation but I will not be joining them this year. My parents will take me in for my surgery then my family will be back the day after my surgery. I wanted to go but it would have meant driving back by myself and it is a six hour drive. I cannot do that because a) I am still on meds and b) my knee bugs me after 20 minutes in the car. I will miss this relaxing holiday terribly but next year I will be able to partake in so many more activities than I would be able to this year. We kayak, go tubing, hike, swim and of course, fish. It is a beautiful part of our country.

Your soreness likely has something to do with your walk to the pool but it must have been worth it for the swim. Hope you feel better soon.
 
Everybody kept telling me I was so brave to have mine done at the same time, but I think people like you who have the second one done soon after the first are WAY more brave! I don't think I could have talked myself into going through it again when still just getting over the first surgery. Best of luck!
 
Back
Top Bottom