TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

The small pan and tongs is the only way I know how to make them. Homemade shells do taste so much better. You've got me convinced to make them from scratch next time!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Being in Texas, Tex-Mex is obviously big here. Our local grocery store. Kroger, makes fresh flour tortillas every morning, but the best ones are from a Mexican "fast food" chain called Rosa's Cafe. They are exceptional and inexpensive and every meal comes with two on the side and you can also buy them by the dozen. They make terrific breakfast burritos. For tacos, however, I prefer corn tortillas, heated in a pan, no oil or anything, until slightly crispy. When we had a gas stove we used to heat them right over the open flame. Boy were they good!
 
Buy corn masa. Recipe is right on the package.
[Bonesmart.org] Canadian Girl's Journey


Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Now, do you want the recipe for the taco seasoning? My best advice is to search online (there are hundreds) for one that has great reviews and experiment.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@JustJeff - I will see if we have Corn Masa in the Mexican aisle at the grocery store. Thank for the tip on the seasoning as well.

@Phil75070 I had fantastic Tex-Mex in Dallas about 22 years ago. There was Rosa in the name. Could it have been the same one?
 
@71Beetle There are a few Mexican restaurants in Dallas with Rosa in the name. I don't think Rosa's Cafe is the one because it is really a fast food chain.
 
@71Beetle & @Phil75070 - also I think that Rosa's Café is fairly new...I only started seeing them in the last year or two. I haven't been yet - to be honest, I'm not really a big fan of Tex-Mex. I know that's practically sacrilegious but what can I say? My family is Cuban and I prefer that cuisine by far! Although I do love good tortillas...I'll have to try the ones from Rosa's one of these days. Then again, I live about a mile from a Kroger Marketplace so fresh tortillas are only minutes away...
 
Tex Mex is one of my favourites. That and Italian. We have a chain of Tex Mex restaurants in Ottawa called the Lone Star. It used to be really good but I find they have slacked a bit. They do make the best salsa and chips - I always pick it up if I am hosting a party or if I am asked to contribute to a BBQ. They don't last long once they are put out. They also make an amazing Strawberry Margarita. Another reason I need to get off of these meds. :)
 
Had my 4th physio session today. My ROM is 96 and -4. I see the OS this week. If he even mentions MUA then I will tell him that he can do it on July 3rd when I am on the table for my right TKR :)

I have major calf pain. Sitting here with heating pad on the back of my leg and an ice pack on the front. Any ideas what I can do about the calf pain? My IT band is really tight too. I really need to call for a massage.

My hubby is making some walleye that he caught last month on his fishing trip. Yuuuuummm.
 
@71Beetle I think it is much too soon to start thinking about MUA. Your extension is a lot better than where I was at the same time in my recovery and, IRC, my PT told me anything over 90 for flexion is "functional". It may not be what they typically target (I think that is 125) but you can do most things if you are over 90, though going down stairs "normally" might be an issue.

Calf and hamstring pain, as opposed to knee pain, is what I suffered the most with. The calf pain in the hospital was bad enough that they took an ultrasound just to make sure it was not DVT. At home, heat helped some along with stretching exercises. It eventually went away but I can't tell you exactly when.
 
@71Beetle, I also have calf pain and a really tight IT band. I've been doing self-massage with a Yoga Tune Up ball. I don't recall where I first heard about them, but I bought them on Amazon. They come in a set of two and are soft, pliable rubber balls. I was never able to use a foam roller on my IT band because it hurt too much but the ball is softer and easier for me to use since I can't get down on the floor right now. You could probably use something like a racquet ball or a tennis ball if you have one of those handy.
 
Thanks @Phil75070 and @LauraLeigh - good tips. I keep up with the physio and icing. Will try the balls and do more heat. Off to take my meds and sleep for a couple of hours. Maybe tonight I will sleep right through!
 
Lisa,

Try and get yourself for a good massage or to a physio. I found that tight/painful muscles affected my movement ,so impacted on my knees, I went to my physio (who is very good) and he sorted out my quads, calfs, hamstrings etc. That helped with my recovery because I wasn't compensating for my sore muscles when walking or exercising.

I now visit him once a week for a "rub down" to keep the muscles loose etc. I can concentrate solely on my knees - it seems to be working.

Mike
 
O Canada...............I think your pain is normal healing. As my PT said, things are angry in there.
I noticed when he massaged my calf with the roller it felt better for a while. So I started using a massager type
vibrator (no good way to say that) :cool: or I would use a vibrating seat cushion that goes on your recliner type chair & it has vibrating spots on it that run from your back to your but. I would slide it down so the top ones would be right by my lower back where I had my other surgery & the rest would be going down both legs to include my calf's. All the knots & pain went away shortly. Good luck with your other knee.
 
Back
Top Bottom