TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

Thanks @Tamsmom I appreciate the insight. I worry if I will be healed enough from this one when I go to my next one on July 3rd! Some of my friends think I should hold off in getting the right knee done until I am healed from this one. I am not rescheduling. I figure it is best to get it all out of the way. I am still on painkillers anyway so I am sure I will be fine. Pain in one leg or pain in two -vs- fully healing then going through all of it again is a no brainer. :)
 
I kinda wish I was jumping into the second knee but I am waiting until after daughters senior season of volleyball.


4/1/2014 TKR
 
Watching the game, Go Kings!

Not as exciting of a game tonight but I am happy with the score so far!

You are brave, some like @bottomshollow had bilaterals a few days apart.
If you feel well enough, then you are ready.

I just want to have it all behind me this summer so I can get my life back!

I kinda wish I was jumping into the second knee but I am waiting until after daughters senior season of volleyball.

When is volleyball season finished? Have you got your date set for the other knee @Tamsmom? My right one is bugging me a lot. It is the bone on bone pain that I feel all the time now. The TKR knee is not the issue. It is all of the surrounding muscles, tendons and nerves that are healing. The incision seems fine. I have numbness and the feeling of deep bruising that just throbs. I am so looking forward to not having these pains.

On a good note (sort of) I seem to have misplaced a crutch. I have one but I have no idea where the other one is :) It has to be around the house somewhere as I have only been at work and home and I definitely had it when I left work today. Maybe my memory needs to be replaced too. :heehee:
 
On a good note (sort of) I seem to have misplaced a crutch

Mine are all over the house :rotfl:
 
Volleyball finishes mid November, plus I would pretty much have to give up my job as I have a contract I need to meet monthly and I need some time to catch up!

A misplaced crutch? Too funny, I would say you don't need it as much anymore


4/1/2014 TKR
 
Found my other crutch! Not that I need two but I do like to have one upstairs and one downstairs when I can. I tried to use my cane today but I am still more confident with the one crutch. I think it is because my right knee is taking a lot of the pressure and with the crutch I can lean more on it than a cane while still standing straight.

I went for physio today. I am doing the exercises and adding weight. I have been using some of the machines on both my knees to build more strength on the right knee before the next surgery. My ROM is 94 up from 90 since May 29th. My extension is the same at -4 but I know I could get that to 0 if I pushed (which I won't because that is not a BoneSmartie thing to do). I got a nice big ice pad from the hospital, not free of course. It covers so much of the knee and sides and the gel or whatever is inside does not all slop over to one side like some of the gels do. I have it on my knee now and it is lovely. I am going to buy one for my mom to ease her pains. She will appreciate it.

I had a bit of a melt down tonight and unfortunately it was aimed at my hubby. He has been so helpful and I really have nothing to complain about but he has been making little comments that I am taking out of context. I need him and my son to drive me around - there are no options. He will complain about the traffic, the lights, etc and to me, I read that he is complaining about having to drive me.

I needed more meds and the pharmacy was really slow in getting my prescription filled. I kept calling and finally they said it would be ready in an hour (9:15 pm). My hubby complained about how long it took and how late he would have to drive over to the pharmacy and we should change pharmacies to one that is less busy, blah blah blah. I took it the wrong way again and as soon as he left I started crying like a two year old. My two younger boys brought me tissue and did their best to comfort me but they could not understand why I was crying and I could not explain it to them without complaining about their dad when really it was my perception of his actions. On a normal day I would have said to my husband "quit your belly aching and go" or I would have just gone myself. I know it is my own frustration at losing my dependence but he needs to understand that too.

Maybe @JustJeff and @Phil75070 can give their male perspective on this. :) I asked him to be patient with me and he said he is but he was just tired. I can relate to being tired I said. Anyway, that is my rant. This too shall pass.

The only concern is that when I am home after my next surgery, he will be home all day as will the boys. He drives a school bus and the boys will be out of school for the summer. I am a bit worried that we will drive each other absolutely crazy(er). I am so happy to have this forum to communicate with those that may understand how I am feeling. If I did not have this outlet, I would likely be pulling my hair out!

So blessed to have all of you in my corner. Thanks for listening to my whining. :tantrum:
 
Oh thank goodness! I thought I was the only one that put words in my husband mouth! These nights are to be expected and I am sure you will all be good in the morning. Sometimes even I get tired of hearing myself whine, can't imagine how the others stand me sometimes! We just feel so guilty not doing our part, you never know when the shoe will be on the other foot...just give him a squeeze and tell him thanks for loving you!

Oh and glad the lost is found...I never used crutches, walker to cane for me....


4/1/2014 TKR
 
Uh. . Husbands aren't as patient as wives with stress? Perhaps this is a husband's way of venting as I have never gotten a bit of blubbering and crying at all. Not even one tear. We tend to react with anger instead and then resent it later. Btw, putting words in my wife's mouth is a daily sport. :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Thanks @Tamsmom and @JustJeff - you are both right. He is still grumpy today but I will ignore it and get on with my happy existence. Enjoy your day!
 
@71Beetle
I so get what you are saying. I still feel that a lot of the time. This recovery is brutal. I am stuck with someone who is leaving as soon as I can do the stairs more times per day. When you wrote about writing in the dark, I smiled. How many of us have done that in the middle of the night on this site. I certainly have. At almost 9 weeks, I don't have as many melt downs, in fact a lot less. I know more are coming with the anticipated move out of said person above.
Your feelings are so normal. Normal doesn't make it easier though, does it? This seems to be an especially hard day for many on here.
thinking of you,
~hopefaith
 
@71Beetle Maybe this could explain it:


WOMAN'S DIARY:
Saw him in the evening and he was acting really strangely.

I'd been shopping in the afternoon with the girls and was a bit late meeting him, thought it might be that.

The bar was really crowded and loud, so I suggested we go somewhere quieter to talk.

He was still very subdued and distracted so I suggested we went somewhere nice to eat.

All through dinner he just didn't seem himself - he hardly laughed and didn't seem to be paying any attention to me or to what I was saying,

I just knew that something was wrong.

He dropped me back home and I wondered if he was going to come in,

He hesitated but followed.

I asked him what was wrong, but he just half shook his head and turned the television on.

After about ten minutes of silence I said that I was going upstairs to bed, I put my arms around him and told him that I loved him deeply,

He just gave a sigh and a sad sort of smile.

He didn't follow me up immediately but came up later and, to my surprise, we made love - but he still seemed distant and a bit cold.

I cried myself to sleep - I think he's planning to leave me - maybe he's found someone else.

MAN'S DIARY:

How the heck can you 4 putt from six feet???
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OMG @Phil75070 - you so make me laugh. I am so glad that I tagged you and @JustJeff on my post. I needed the laughs that you both provided.

Thank you for your post @hopefaith - I am sorry (if you are) about your current relationship. I know that these feelings are normal (whatever normal may be). @Nana moon 27 posted my exact feelings on her thread about just being tired of it all. That is me.

So tired today. We are getting a ton of rain in Ottawa and it is pretty cool out. My best friend picked me up at work today and we came home to have a nice chat. We have been friends since high school and have been through everything together. I am so grateful that I have her in my life. Other than the visit, the day has been dreary due to the weather and being so tired.

I am very stiff. Weather never used to affect me much but I am thinking it is the weather as I cannot see it being anything else. PT was normal, I have been elevating and icing too. I am not able to lift my leg up on the stair riser today. Yesterday, it was no problem. Weird.

Off to make tacos for the family now. Yumm. Tacos...actually, I will not make them, I will just get stuff out of the fridge and pretend I am making them. My hubby will be home in 10 minutes and he will take over but at least he will think I am doing it. A little bit of deception keeps things spicy don't you think? He will be the hero to my damsel in distress. :)
 
When I first came home I could barely put some ketchup and mayo together without being exhausted, but a few nights ago I did make tacos from scratch. They always taste better when they started out as some corn masa and end up as stuffed taco shells.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Well now I am hungry for tacos so you both share your recipes!

I was on the exercise bike for 15 minutes this morning actually pushing myself a little bit, and the knee was a tad bit sore afterwards but recovered nicely with a little bit of ice.




4/1/2014 TKR
 
@Tamsmom - I am lazy. I just use the Old El Paso box taco. I used to make my own shells with my dad when I was I high school but this is much more convenient.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I Just don't like shells that crumble when bitten into. The homemade ones taste so much better. I experimented with different ways to fry them and finally settled with a small pan holding and folding with tongs.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top Bottom