Guest viewing is limited

TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

@JustJeff At least the bigger number is on the male side!
[Bonesmart.org] Canadian Girl's Journey
 
He doesn't need to shave his knees, but training heels would help.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
@71Beetle just popping in to say hello and hope you are taking gentle care of that knee. It sounds like you have wonderful support which is lovely.
~hopefaith x x
 
@JustJeff cycling in heels is a non event, as long as you have bike clips.... and you are not too close to the ground, scraping spiked heels can mess you up! Next time I bike in them I'll make sure I get a photo!
 
That poor kid being part of your games. :)

@hopefaith I am doing okay thanks! Happy that it is Friday. We have a flu bug going around the house so my two younger boys were home with me today. I missed physio yesterday as I had the bug. Did not work today or yesterday.

I am going to get my hair done tomorrow. Have to cover the greys and get some style into it! I need a change but I don't want to mess much with it in the morning right now so I will keep it long enough to just pull back in a band for the summer.

My oldest boy took his car in for an oil change and tire rotation. It is my old car. My brother owns a Midas shop so he gives us a deal. When they put the car up on the hoist, they discovered that the bottom was so rusted out that the engine and rack and pinion(sp?) were being held up by one corner. Good old Ottawa salted roads for the six months we call winter :). Deemed it unsafe to drive. He had a concert that he was going to in Toronto this weekend - tickets paid, hotel rooms booked, car filled with friends anticipating a party. So he and my hubby were off to look for a new(used) car. They found one that he just loves so he is off and happy. Can't truly afford it right now but he has been really good at paying us back with the money he makes working part time. Because we live in a rural part of town, there is no bus service so if he doesn't have a car, we have to drive him everywhere. And right now he is my chauffeur and he is not allowed to drive my car (insured for only 25 years old and above). He goes to college in the fall so needs a car for that as well. Parents of the week go to us for this week. :)
 
Lisa...it seems like every bill under the sun has come due this past month or so. Still putting finishing touches on the home we built ourselves a few years ago. The problem in getting the last few things done is my hubby knows how to do them all so he doesn't want to pay to have it done! I am so over this house, it has been nothing but a money pit and bad decisions! Plus it was the beginning at the end for my left knee, two days after we moved in was the day when I fell going out to the garage smack right on top of my knee. Has anyone ever heard of post traumatic injury arthritis? Something like that? I had a little arthritis in the knee before, but torn ligaments, etc...has done me in!

Has the pool been opened yet?

PT and again sore in a weird way. Oh well 2 days off....

What concert was your son going to?

My son was actually in Toronto for a few hour layover, he and his wife are on their way to England. He is working for a month at the Cambridge University...


4/1/2014 TKR
 
@71Beetle Thank you for your very nice note. Sorry about the flu bug....with a recovering TKR, sounds not fun. Your son sounds responsible. My 2 sons are 29 and 26. My younger one is getting married in about 10 days. I really like his fiancé. I wonder how it will go with this silly knee. It is amazing how people say it is all you think about for awhile. It is so true. I usually wonder what I will wear, (which I have figured that out) and hair stuff. (which I have figured out) But my main obsession is how this knee will fare. I wonder if I need to have an ice bag pinned up under my dress.:heehee: When that stiffness hits, I can't get home and elevated and iced quick enough. People just do not get it. ("You had surgery WHEN" and an impliction of why are you still a.)using a crutch b.) icing your knee in public c.) you are still gingerly treating your knee as though you "just" had surgery.) I realize they mean well (some of them anyway), but I am always eager to get back on here and feel typical TKR recovery messages again. Instead of, and I actually got this comment, that my surgeon did something wrong that it is taking "so long". That one really upset me, because I adore my OS and researched him for weeks before choosing him. He did a great job. I feel confident about that.. So my rant of the Friday evening. I hope your knee is feeling fine tonight.
~hopefaith
 
Hi @Tamsmom! Building your own home is stressful in itself for sure! We have moved into two new houses previously - it was nice to choose all of the finishings and colours and upgrades but there is always something you need to add. Landscaping, eavestrough, painting once the nail pops happen, etc, etc. We bought the house we are in now from a guy who had built it. We had to paint a room that was purple and pink (I have boys) and I had to put my gardens in. The rest was done. Trees are grown, landscaping done, all that stuff is taken care if. I don't love the kitchen but I am picky. We priced out a new one but that will have to wait until all the the boys' school funds are set up. My husband put up a really nice backsplash and repainted the kitchen once we were here for 5 years and that was enough to keep me appeased for a while :)

I hear you about the hubby wanting to do things himself and not hire people to get things done. I appreciate my husband's handy abilities but he never finishes a task. We have two trees cut down and laying in the yard still. He started cleaning the grout in our floor tiles so we have that half done and it looks horrible. He painted my screened in porch last year but has not finished the trim. UGH. Love him like mad but he drives me crazy. If I am really desperate to get something done, I say that I am going to ask my dad if he can help. That works sometimes but I can't use that one the big jobs. My boys say they will help but as soon as a friend calls or something better comes up they are nowhere to be found :)

We did put the pool in 3 years ago. The boys have been swimming for a month now. We had a pool party last weekend and put the heater on to get it up to 81 degrees. Now we just put the solar blanket on it to keep the heat in. Our backyard has sun from sun up until almost sun down so the pool stays warm as long as the outside temperature stays warm. I should be able to be in the water next weekend - I plan on doing some water exercises to get back into the swing of things. Can't wait!

The concert in Toronto is not really a concert. It is Electronic Music - DJ's spinning tunes at 220BPM and a bunch of kids dancing like fools. I think his favourite DJ is there - Gammer or something. It makes him happy. Where was your son going where he would have a layover in Toronto? Have you ever been to Ontario yourself. I have been to a lot of states but I have not been to Nebraska. It sure is a pretty part of the US.
 
Hi @hopefaith My boys are 13, 15 and 19. They are good kids. So different from each other for sure. My oldest has had a hard time with a learning disability and social anxiety so high school was not a good experience for him. He has really grown into himself and has found his groove and is now working a lot in the public and going with friends to concerts and parties so we worry about him a lot less than we have in the past 4 years. We are really proud of how he has worked to improve his outlook on life. We are fortunate that we have always had an open relationship. We are pretty liberal with our kids but have always demanded respect from them. It seems to be working so far. He was our first and we learned so much from him. Our other two are fortunate that he broke us in. :)

You must be excited about your son's upcoming wedding. It is so nice that you like your future daughter-in-law. My absolutely adore my husband's parents. We all get a long really well. She beats me at golf though. THat is an issue. I understand that your thoughts on the wedding day are on your knee. Good that you have your clothes and hair sorted out. Make sure you rest your knee throughout the day. Don't do much the day before and don't plan on anything the next day. Is the wedding local to you or will you have to travel?

I love coming to this forum as well. Everyone is in it together and understands what we are going through. I know people mean well when they ask why is it taking so long but they can't know. One of my colleagues had a accident that caused a brain injury and she had a really long recovery so she understands the whole recovery thing.

Hope you are well. Have a fantastic weekend!
 
Lisa,
My oldest has been to Toronto many times. In fact he was going to study and teach at the university of Toronto but his wife wasn't able to find a job and she is the major breadwinner at this point so they ended up in Colorado.

My middle son had learning disabilities and high school was a true struggle, teachers loved how hard he worked but it has been a journey to find his niche, he has thankfully but it took him far away from home. He lives in Richmond VA and works for "youth with a mission".


4/1/2014 TKR
 
Hey! I resemble that remark!....................or is it "resent"?
[Bonesmart.org] Canadian Girl's Journey

Okay Phil, I don't know how you got that bug below this statement but I am quite sure I looked like a fool trying to get it off my screen. It is a good thing I am not afraid of bugs! Well little bugs anyway! Good one!:cheers:
 
@Tamsmom, the University of Toronto is one of the best schools in Canada. Your son must have great credentials.

I don't know what I will do when my boys leave home. Don't mistake this comment. I don't want them to stay home forever! :) It will be tough though. We are really close. Our middle son and my husband have a real bond that is different than the other boys. I think it is because our middle one likes fishing more than his brothers.

Sounds like you have done a great job with your kids! It is an accomplishment to be sure!
 
Had an okay day today. I am not seeing any improvement really which is annoying. My scar is looking better but I was thinking that I still do everything the same (though slower) than I did before the surgery. I was expecting that I would see a big difference from before the surgery. The pain is different but I still walk like I have arthritis, I still have to wrench my body to put pants on, I still take the stairs with both feet on one step at a time (though going up I can walk up normally but I hike up my hip to make that happen). I can't drive because of the pain killers. I have zero motivation and my hubby seems grumpy if I ask him to do something for me. (I am sure that he isn't and that is only my perception). I am having a bit of a pity party right now as I sit here in the dark 'cus I can't sleep. Helps to write it down. I am not looking for comments or appeasement just needed to get it out. I feel better already!:happydance:

Had a nice visit with my parents today. My mom is struggling with her degenerative discs and spinal stenosis. We were quite the sight hobbling around her gardens. She is so active and I hate to see her struggling. She has had troubles with getting her pain under control (something else I must have inherited). She is now on a pain patch that she changes every 3 days. It seems to be helping because the sparkle in her eyes was back today. She is frustrated about her limitations which I can completely understand. It was so good to see her. We are usually out together every weekend either shopping or working in our gardens and we have not done so since before my surgery. She was either down or my knees were bothering me too much to walk very far so it has been a long while. I miss our time together. I think my dad misses the break too :)

I am going into work tomorrow - working 10-2 again this week. Physio on Tuesday and Thursday. I am on the Planning Committee for my high school's 50th Anniversary Celebrations. We have a committee meeting on Tuesday night. I am hoping we can do a Skype call but if not I will go to the meeting. I can generally keep it down to an hour. I am still trying to keep my extra curricular activities to a minimum to focus on my exercises, elevating and icing. Anything beyond that and work and hanging out with my boys has to take a back seat for the summer.

Hope everyone is doing well. I will now try to sleep again.

I really appreciate the support of everyone following my journey. You all truly are a big part of my recovery and rehabilitation. Physically and mentally. Thanks to all of you!
:flwrysmile:
 
Lisa,
I am thinking back to when I was about 6 weeks. It was a very frustrating time, it's been a while and we are all more than ready to be back to normal!
The lack of sleep still bothers me, I don't know if it is my knee or a bad habit that has developed or my age.

Hand tough, there should be a positive increase of stamina, and how you feel soon! I feel like at about 7 or so weeks I started to turn a corner...I will admit, I am ready for another leap in activity, strength and lesson stiffness and or pain.


4/1/2014 TKR
 
Back
Top Bottom