TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

I have a therapist that have extensive training in lymphatic massage and neither have ever suggested it for the swelling that around my knee...it's worth a try.
Is your swelling excessive? My sister (PT) said swelling can take months and months to go away. I still am swollen but I don't hardly notice or think about it anymore.


4/1/2014 TKR
 
Hi @Tamsmom - I don't think it is excessive but I do think my ROM would improve it my knee was not so swollen. It is on the outer side of the knee.

How are you doing?
 
Pretty good, I was really sore yesterday and today so I called the therapist and asked to get back in the water because I was really stiff and sore. She said well you can but your sore because you've worked harder and you're taking medication don't worry you'll get used to it. So I just did land only.
I am doing squats, stairs, and the good old leg lifts. Funny my replacement leg I think is stronger than the other one.

Still at the end of the day I just want to ice and elevate.


4/1/2014 TKR
 
Not sure if anyone wants to see this but here is a picture of my knee. My surgery was 3 weeks ago today. :)

HI, I think your knee looks great....... Here's a photo of mine with heels :) a couple of weeks ago. I was dreaming in my Jimmy Choos, and no I did not stand up for more than 30 seconds!! I will probably never wear them again. I took it on Mothers Day when I was home alone due to my inability to get on a plane with the rest of my family and go to NC . My kids even planned to stay till Monday so we could celebrate Mothers Day and not go home after my grandson's first communion. Nice idea... but I did feel sorry for myself, and it was the worse day I had since my (Mar 18, BTKR) surgery,and it wasn't the knees, I was so sick from the oxy, my stomach was a mess. thankfully my gastro gave me medication to use if I needed it. But I was down all day and feeling low, Decided the oxy was making things worse ,not better, so stopped it and from then on have been using tylenol 500 (2) twice a day and it's 11 weeks today, I worked four hours today and managed to stay alert and engaged, Next attempt will be to get to a gym soon and work out and use the pool,maybe even take a water class. It's time.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Canadian Girl's Journey
    scars and shoes.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 158
Lol.. what a unique photo! Scars 'n Heels! They look (sans heels) just like mine, complete with the dimples from the deep stitches.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
I asked my PT guy about that when I read about it here and he told me it is for a different type of swelling, not the type that we experience as a result of surgery. However, some people seem to have gotten positive results from it. Massage therapists who do lymphatic massage claim it does help with post-surgical swelling. In fact, it cures just about everything according to one website I found ( :) ):

Surgical-Related Issues:
  • Post-mastectomy lymphedema
  • Post-hysterectomy edema
  • Varicose veins/Venous insufficiency
  • Post-surgical swelling
  • Pre-surgery preparation
  • Post-surgery recovery
  • Pre/post cosmetic surgery
  • Post-amputation
  • Post-vein stripping
Ear, Nose and Throat:
  • Sinusitis
  • Tinnitus
  • Meniere’s disease
Other:
  • Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue
  • Toxic Poisoning
  • Scleroderma
Musculoskeletal:
  • Sprains/strains (acute and chronic)
  • Muscle/ligament tears (acute and chronic)
  • Fractures/dislocations
  • Rheumatoid arthritis
  • Tendinitis
  • Neck pain/Whiplash/Chronic pain
Dermatological:
  • Acne/Eczema
  • Leg ulcers
  • Burns/scars
Neurological:
  • Tension headaches
  • Migraine headaches
  • Neuralgia, RSD/CRPS
  • Carpal tunnel syndrome
  • Stress reduction
 
@Pumpkln it was an exciting game last night. Loved Doughty's goal. What a play! And our team won! Woo Hoo!

Wow @Tamsmom you are clearly doing well with your exercises! I can't wait until I am at that stage. You had your surgery a month before me so it gives me hope. I am doing the exercises on both of my legs. I want my right knee to be strong before I have surgery on it next month.

Hi @sibbi1123 nice shoes! Your scars look pretty good for the stage you are at. Congratulations on managing your pain with Tylenol. I am still on Oxy at night and Tramadol and Tylenol during the day. I am finding I can go a little longer without the pain meds which is a step in the right direction. I just want to be able to drive so I can at least get to physio without depending on others to chauffeur me. Sorry to hear that you were alone on Mother's Day. But it sounds like you are making progress and that is a good thing!

@Phil75070 that is quite the list of things that Lymphatic Massage can improve. Maybe I should see if I can find a snake oil distributor as well. I will talk with my massage therapist and see what she says. I saw on Youtube that there are self massage videos. Maybe I will see if one of those suits me to at least see what it is all about.

@JustJeff you and Phil are hilarious with your banter back and forth. Who knew you were into shoes! I may have some for you as well if I can't get comfortable wearing heels in future. Do you prefer pointed toe or round toe; stilettos or wedge. Pointy toes are back this season:loll:
 
@71Beetle I feel pretty good for where I am thus far. Can't do stairs without hanging on for dear life, or get up from a chair without a pinch of pain, a grunt and doesn't look very coordinated. Quit PT a few weeks ago because they insisted on me doing exercises that bonesmart said are no-no's, have no idea what my ROM is (I'd guess 115) but I know I can walk pretty well, bend and straighten my legs flat too. Need to strengthen the legs soon, notice I said soon! I have fully embraced the bonesmart mantras. I never did any research before surgery on purpose except to find a surgeon and if I had I may have thrown all my "footwear" out and hobbled around. This one threw me, frustrated me, made me cry, isolated myself for a few weeks, but I'm getting my mojo back a bit more each day. I am so thankful for bonesmart and if my sense of humor had been intact I would have joined in earlier...better late than never!
@JustJeff Allentown is only about an hour or so from me! I'm in the Morristown area, ever want to borrow my heels just yell!:heehee:
 
Yes after Physio this week 5.. I have been stiff and sorry for 24 hours so I won't be over exerting again..water therapy for me from now on...gentler on the knee. You think you are getting there then something weird happens... Early days. Take it all as it comes my motto now. Its not race. Its recovery.. Thinking of you beetle.
Lily
 
Wow, that is one close up pic! Ugh, I think i need to tell the PT to back off the exercises, I can do them but the next day my whole leg is sore, especially my hip. My job is awful right now also, you would think no one had ever taken off for a medical reason.
 
Yep! Your knee is giving you a message. I'm glad you're listening to it!
 
@Tamsmom - I actually did not go into the office today. I am nauseous and have flu like symptoms so slept a big part of the day. I am rarely sick so I think my body is telling me something. On a good note, I slept through an entire pain med cycle and I am just feeling it now - 15 minutes before I am due for my next one.

I may not go in tomorrow and just let my body heal. I likely went back too soon to work. So far it has been okay but my boss sends such mixed messages that I don't know up from down. One minute he is all concerned about me and the next he is complaining about something he perceives is my fault (in the 12 hours I have actually been in the office since May 2 - how much can I mess up???) :)

Do you have problems with yur hip or is it just after PT?
 
Never have had hip issues, I know exactly what exercises are bothering it.


4/1/2014 TKR
 
Well take it easy. You don't want to mess up another joint!
 
For me is all about strength now. I don't deal with the aerobics at the gym as I have walking, kayaking and bike riding for that. So I'm just warning up on the bike (and a little elliptical) and using the exercise equipment. @sibbi1123 how hard is it to bicycle with heels? ;)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
@Phil75070 there was a m/f test on Facebook. I scored 53% M and 47% F.
Does that make me a metrosexual, confident in my abilities or just screwed up. . Who knows (except the heels of course. )

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top Bottom