Guest viewing is limited

THR Can you hear me from the other side?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the blow up feet support as well which I got tired of after a while. They were suppose to help prevent blood clots. After my first day, I was up with the help of a walker to the bathroom and even took a shower. It felt wonderful!
 
The sore heels were the worst pain when I got home, lying in bed, felt like my heel was being grated. Wore fluffy socks to bed. Bliss. X
Aud
 
Oh but when you can put a pillow beteen your legs and roll over on your side! That is wonderful!
 
Ohhhh Pjm I've been doing that. It's sooo good. Lol. Anything when I'm not stuck flat on my back.
Aud
 
I had changed sides of the bed with my husband but today I am switching back. I will have more comfort on my side of the bed.
 
I had a catheter also. I was very disappointed when they took it out. I've got a very weak bladder.........Say no more.
Xxxx
 
I eventually got around the sore heels by buying a pair of thick fluffy bedsocks, and one of those squishy travel cushions that is filled with lightweight beads to rest my heel on. The two things helped wonders. Oh how I long to be able to lie on my side at night.
 
Hi Firebrand, my PT had me on my side for my first visit. He told me as long as I used a pillow between my legs that I could lie on my side to sleep. Granted when I first tried this my hip did hurt a bit but I am now able to do it without pain. I don't stay on my side for very long but it does help to be able to get off the back.
 
Hi everyone. I'm three weeks post op today. Things are moving forward slowly but surely I think. However I'm concerned that I have been over cautious in what I've been allowing myself to do, as there seem to be people on here going out fairly often.

My question is: how much walking should I be aiming to do at this stage? I went out for 10 mins up and down the street yesterday (with crutches), and am aiming to do that twice today, but I don't think that I'm doing as much as I should be. If I spend any more time sat in my living room eating biscuits the fire brigade are going to have to winch me out.
 
Happy 3 weeks! Did your surgeon give you any advice about activity progression? (At 3 weeks I was told I could do pretty much whatever I want but no high impact. Your instructions could be different. ). Isn't it freezing there? It's great that you could get out. I love the image of the fire brigade coming to winch you out!
 
Hi BarbaraR, all I got from the surgeon was partial weight bearing for four weeks. Which doesn't really help me in any way! I've just been reading your thread, and can see that I am way behind the curve from others - including you. When I asked the physio about returning to the gym - I was keen on using the elliptical trainer before my op as it wasn't impactful (if that makes sense?) - she said not until I'd been signed off by the surgeon at my six week appointment. So that rules that out.

I know that I need to listen to my body, but I'm really not convinced that I'm pushing myself enough re the walking, so I'm going to try and up the ante as much as I can without setting my healing back - ie increase the length and frequency of my walks gradually. But more snow is forecast here in the next few days, so best laid plans and all that!
 
Firebrand, yes, the different protocols are Ll a bit confusing, aren't they? I think with the anterior approach, they do get you moving more quickly because the risk of dislocation is lower (but it isn't zero). Both you and Weezi have weight bearing restrictions for a fairly long time-- I wonder if that's because you're both relatively young? I used the elliptical before surgery, too, because I couldn't tolerate much resistance, but I could get my heart rate up by using my arms. My PT told me they don't start the elliptical till about 6 weeks postop, but I have no burning desire to get back to the gym yet, so I'm ok with that. Does your surgeon have an assistant you can talk to? Surgeons in the US have physician's assistants-- mine does anyway-- and I've been able to email her with questions, and she has been really helpful in situations like this where I wasn't sure if a specific activity was OK.

Stay warm! If I lived near you, I'd bake you some cookies (biscuits!).
 
Hi Firebrand,
Your first surgery date was the day I had mine. You certainly aren't behind by any means. I am 5 weeks post op and have to stay on walker with touch down weight bearing only for another two weeks. Did you have anterior or posterior THR? Which hip, left or right? I was using my elliptical every morning for 30 to 45 minutes before I started having to use a cane to get around. I am no where near ready to get back on it but I do miss it. I am in out-patient physical therapy but I am not using any excercise equipment. In fact, I could do the same excercises at home. I just don't feel like it's not doing me much good since I'm not able to master walking without the walker and eventually without a limp. It's tough right now because I'm feeling better but there's not a whole lot you can do with partial weight bearing.
 
Don't worry about the lack of concentration on your reading. I read a ton of things shortly after surgery and can't remember any of them which means I can read them again! :spin:

Umm, yeah, think I relate to this syndrome- was trying to explain to someone why I have so many oddball gadgets/books laying around that Amazon delivered the first 2 mos post-op!
 
Walking 10 mins up the street and I assume back is plenty for 3 weeks post, along with moving around the house.You are doing fine! I know it is easy to judge your own journey with someone else's on the forum.. but very important to remember this is your journey and yours alone.. slow and steady and you will get there :)
 
Thanks for your input Weezi and Poppet, it's really helpful to have some baselines to measure against. It's not about being competitive, but a realisation that other than my physio exercises I really don't know what else I should be aiming to be able to do, such as length of walk, in order to aid my walking. My second walk yesterday came easier that the first as I'd started to relax into it, rather than keeping everything tensed and stiff. It's pouring with rain at the moment, so I'm hoping for a break in the clouds so that I can get out again today.
 
You will do fine.. Moving is important, but so is resting... all part of the healing process :)
 
Hi Firebrand

I think you are doing plenty considering you are only 3wks out. You might get a ticking off from Josephine if you attempt to do much more(notice I didn't tag her, don't want to alert her to your situation!).
If you've had the posterior approach, which I presume you have, then you are doing well and are right on track. I would increase the distance weekly by a few minutes.......slowly slowly catchy monkey. I also presume you've got a set of exercises to do each day. These combined with your walking will be enough for now. Your body will tell you if you're over doing it and if you do then you'll have to reign it in, rest and ice.

Unfortunately we all succumb to the dreaded comfort food.........well, why not? A little bit of comfort in the shape of a ginger biscuit can do you the world of good. Just make sure it's a few and not the whole packet.

How's the old shnozzer?

Queenie xxxx
 
Hi Queenie. Had a streaming cold all week, so the shnozzer has been like a tap. Still bleeding, but nothing major. I know that once I stop the aspirin it should sort itself.

Extended the walk perhaps a little too much this afternoon, as the rain looked like I'd only get the chance to get out once today. So sitting down with a cuppa and the laptop now.

I posted my biscuit habit on facebook, and a friend said that she would bake me a cake instead. It feels a little like a 'friend' upping the ante by moving me up to crack cocaine at this stage, but hey, she's a damn fine cook.

My gripe this week has been a rather sustained attack of the runs (sorry to be graphic). So managing an URGENT hobble to get up the stairs to the loo on the crutch in time has looked like a rather sad Olympic sport. I've finally twigged that it must be my medication, as if it was something that I'd eaten it would have gone by now. So I'm going to cut out the ibuprofen and stick instead to the cocodamol when needed and see if that helps settle things.

So to sum up: fat, snotty and crappy. Sounds like the alternative dwarfs. I'll have to think of another four to go with those.
 
So to sum up: fat, snotty and crappy. Sounds like the alternative dwarfs. I'll have to think of another four to go with those.

Oh, Firebrand, pleeeeese don't! :eeeuw: Three of these is more than enough. Hope you are feeling much, much better very soon.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Can you hear me from the other side?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom