Guest viewing is limited

THR Can you hear me from the other side?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mbone, sorry to hear that you are also suffering. I had a nap this afternoon which really helped, even though I was trying to wean myself off them, as my body clearly needs them still.
 
I have never been a back sleeper either until now. I can sleep on my side but it's not comfortable so I try to stick to my back for most of the night, I also have these compression socks on all the time so have to deal with the lines that run from them to the motor. I have been just stacking up the pillows, take as many as needed and I try to think of how the hospital bed kept my head lifted and how I kept my legs lifted and imitate that as close as I can. I also take pain killer that puts me out so that all has been helping me sleep but I do wake up after a few hours of sleep and have to rearrange things again. I also take lots of short naps a day. It's amazing how easy it is for me to drift off for a few minutes at a time, I have never been one to sleep during the day even with a head cold or flu.
Are you getting around okay with your new hip? For me it's okay but I have to admit it's harder than I thought it would be. I hope after PT it will get better.
 
Hi firebrand, sorry to hear you are in the doldrums a bit, this is entirely normal after surgery. We all have our up and our down days and the down make us miserable but by next week I'm sure you will feel so much better. It's amazing what a difference a few days make in this recovery business :) The lack of sleep is a pain isn't it...have you tried to raise your back with cushions a bit to get more comfy? The heel pain kept me awake and woke me during the night, some good suggestions on here to help with that. It shouldn't last too long anyway.

Had to laugh at you forgetting the order of the stairs. I was a bit of a scruff the first couple of weeks and just wore my jarmies and dressing gown. In my dressing gown pocket lived the stairs instructions from the hospital and I looked at it every time I used them for weeks.lol. I blamed the surgery fog for my loopiness.

Hope you start to feel happier soon, it is all worth it really it is :)

Take care

Ann
 
Hi Firebrand

So sorry that I haven't checked in on you for a while. I've been totally absorbed in my own PP(know what I mean?) and now that I'm up and about and practically back to normal(well not quite), I don't find I've got quite as much time on my hands. I do love to ramble on so a few lines just won't do it for me. But sat here waiting for my jacket potatoes to cook I find I've got a few minutes to touch base with you. Hurrah!!
I miss looking like an extra from Shameless. I quite enjoyed being skanky. We love camping and festivals so I can really work that look!
I was definitely in my own little bubble for the first month post op. The first week was odd having to slowly make the adjustment from hospital to home. I know that although i was much happier at home I did feel rather vulnerable but that lessened as the weeks went on. I wouldn't be too concerned with the sleep issue. Most folks on BS would tell you to sleep when you can. You are not operating on the same level as those around you. Your body has been through the mill and so you just have to sleep when your body demands it. I used to find myself watching films on my laptop in the middle of the night, under the covers with ear phones on so that I wouldn't wake my husband!
If I were you I'd make the most of the first few weeks post op. You might not get another chance to chill like this again. Being a personage of the female persuasion you are bound to start wanting to do things around the house soon but my advice would be chill and make the most of this down time. Nothing is more important than you and your new hip at the moment. Everything else can wait.
My heels were also very sore for the first couple of weeks. This will go. Try putting a rolled up towel or cushion under your calves so that your heels are hanging over the end. The relief will be bliss.....I promise.
A hot milky drink, a banana and a handful of almonds before bedtime might help with any sleep issues. Have you tried Kalms? You can buy these at any superstore.
I'm still suffering in the sleep dept but no way is it as bad as in the early days post op. It will get better for you. I think you are doing really well. You've managed to keep a sense of humour about it all which is so important. I've had several meltdowns along the way(as is well documented!), but looking back it is normal and understandable. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't ever give yourself a hard time for feeling anything that if you looked at it rationally would be quite understandable. I hope you know what I mean......I do tend to waffle!

Thanks for dropping in during my personal PP. I really appreciated your kind words and encouragement.

Keep on keepin' on Warrior.

Queenie xxx
 
Thanks Queenie. How many times have I nicely asked my kids to pick the bath mat up after they've had their showers, so that I don't trip over it. In the end, I brandished my 'grabber' at them and told them it would come and visit them in their dreams if they didn't pick the bath mat up. Seems to have worked so far...

Physio wasn't a good appointment today. She is concerned that I'm limping, and doesn't think that I'm doing my exercises properly. She pointed out that my operated leg is longer than the other, which is probably what's causing my lop-sidedness. Of course having read about that condition on here, I wasn't too worried. But I am making a huge effort to correct my posture when walking, and get the exercises sorted. I'm due back on the 21st for a further physio appointment.
 
Tee hee hee Firebrand.......assault with a deadly grabber....I like it!

Sorry to hear your physio apt was a bit disappointing. I'm a bit surprised at her concern re your limping. You're only one week out! I'm very pleased to see that getting clued up on LLD on BS has given you the confidence to not be overly concerned. It is, by all accounts, something that generally sorts itself out.

I'm impressed with your positivity Mrs!

Queenie xxxx
 
Firebrand
Hi dear,
İ hope you are better today.
You made me laugh about the stairs. İ also have the trouble to remember)))
Regarding the sleeplessness, can you turn on your side (unoperated) with a pillow between your legs? That helps a bit.
By the way, your PT has been harsh with you. Of course you limp at this early stage and the leg lenght turns back to normal as the inflamation around the incision area goes down. İ had the feeling that my operated leg was 3 cm longer just after the surgery. The first week it was still longer (the sense) but comparatively less and now its 2 weeks i feel hat they are nearly the same lenght. Thus no worry.
Last week, İ had to postpone my PT session to the following day because i felt some pain, tiredness and blue. The following day i was much better and was able to do the exercises. Thus, please dont worry, it is normal. Just listen to your body and apply the mantra of bonesmart.
 
The dreaded physio, from what I read here, mostly they overdo it. I'm very glad my OS isn't too concerned with it. I think you need to go at your on pace and forget the physio's agenda. It all will work out in the end.
 
I think that what wound my physio up was that I'd taken the unilateral decision to reduce to one crutch, rather than two. I took that on the chin - using just one in the house was one thing, but getting into the ward at the hospital was quite another.

Today I'm two weeks post op. And even though I can feel each minute of the last two weeks in my hip, it's worth me just taking stock of how far I've come.

My husband has been great - two weeks of cooking and childcare has taken it's toll though, and he has (like other men on this forum) succumbed to man flu. The gas board (having given us plenty of notice) have cut our gas off today for the day as they are replacing the pipes in the street. Which means our heating is off. So my husband has stayed home to 'take care of me' which consists of him huffing and puffing around the house and telling me how cold he is (I'm fine, thanks for asking). Two weeks he lasted....
 
Happy 2 weeks! We have about 6 inches of snow today. I'd be miserable if we didn't have heat. You'll be amazed at how much you progress over the next week. (Time to teach the kids to do their own laundry and put a meal together if you haven't already!). I hope you continue to feel well.
 
Oh the poor lamb.............It's really hard for men ain't it?!!(she says with just a hint of sarcasm).

My husband was wonderful too but he was very happy to take his feet off the gas when I had all my restrictions lifted. Which just confirms to me how marvellous women are and how utterly lost men would be without us. It's a mans world but we're the strong ones.

Getting back to the physio. I shouldn't worry too much about what's been said. Sometimes I wonder if you're best left to your own devices. I don't think that two weeks out you should be thinking about doing anything more than resting with a bit of walking and some gentle exercises thrown in for good measure...........oh and a bit more resting.

Are you managing to get anymore sleep?

I went out to watch a fantastic blues band at my local pub last night and am feeling a bit jaded this morning. Needless to say for the first time in 9wks I managed 5hrs kip which was lovely. Got to get out and walk the dog to help clear my head!

Hopefully you'll get super spoilt on Sunday(Mothers Day in UK, not sure about the rest of the world). Make the most of it!

Lotsa lurve

Queenie xxx
 
Today was mother's day here in the UK. I started it by having something of a hissy fit at my family, pointing out to them that I had major surgery just over two weeks ago, and that they all needed to pull their weight (they've been bickering, which drives me mental, and leaving far too much for me to do). Honestly, if I could have, I would have walked out.

The upshot was a nice lunch, some homemade tiramisu (not nice), and some M&S white chocolate coated raspberries - for later...

I went for my first walk outside - I got three quarters of the way up the road before coming home - I'd forgotten just how cold it was outdoors. Something that I wanted to do a little bit more of every day - but we've got snow forecast tonight and tomorrow, so that will have to get put back. I think I've got cabin fever.

Tomorrow I start working from home... I hope my brain can hold up...
 
Oh firebrand, good on you for giving the family a bollocking! You need to be resting, not doing anything around the house. Must have been nice to get outside. I felt wonderful getting out of hospital into the beautiful weather we are having at the moment. I am taking tiny walks outside on the deck, which is sunny for most of the day. I'm really appreciating it being summer, not even having to reach for extra clothing when I get up in the night. Take it easy, and don't do too much work! (Wags finger).
 
Firebrand, don't go doing too much in front of the family, they will want nothing better than to have you doing all you used too and you just aren't ready. Good luck with the start of working from home, I start my home office thing on the 18th, hoping for the same as you, mental clarity.
 
Hi Firebrand, I am one day ahead of you. Thank God I found this forum, it has helped me so much. I totally agree that th family needs to realize what a major surgery you have had. I wonder if it would do any good for them to see the video from this forum? Anyway, there is a time in life when people need to step up to the plate and help those who need help. My husband likes to think that he is always there for me but in the end he is like everyone else. Its the little things that get to me, (the floor not being swept, leaving things not in their rightful place, kitchen counter not cleaned), but hopefully I an start to tackle a few of these. In the end. I am thankful for what my husband had done. I just pray for more patience and not be as irritable as I have been. I hope you see improvement each day.
 
A quick question for you all - is anyone else having a problem with nose bleeds? I seem to have at least one a day, and whilst they are only minor bleeds, I'd quite like them to go away. I was on warfarin injections in hospital, and aspirin since I came out. I had a video conference meeting with work this morning, and I'm sure I wasn't a pretty sight with my stream of tissues.
 
Ha! Well obviously your brain didn't hold up and decided to protest by dribbling through your nose. Didn't your mum tell you not to pick your nose in public?!!
I was on warferin for 6wks post op and my nose dribbled in protest too on occasion. Aspirin has blood thinking qualities as I'm sure you know, so it would make sense that there is a connection there.

I bet you didn't venture out today in that bloomin' freezing cold Siberian wind. I was nearly reduced to tears whilst out walking the dog. I could only manage 20mins....Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Still Spring is on the way and soon you'll be venturing out more and more, though I'd wait a while before you put yourself in for any half marathons!!

I don't think you're wielding that grabber enough at your family because they just aren't getting the message. I think you should put down tools and go on strike. How about locking yourself in a room somewhere with a lap top, a nice cuppa tea and a big bar of chocolate?......Just an idea.

Keep the tissues to hand.

Lotsa lurve

The Queenster xxx
 
You were right the first time Queenie, but it was brain thinning...

You're right about me not going out today, I sat and looked at the snow and wind battering the back garden, and turned the central heating up another notch.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom