THR Can you hear me from the other side?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firebrand
Hi dear
İ am just catching up on you and was sorry to read about the breakdown you had at 3 1/2 weeks. But rest assured, we've all had that.
Funny to say, i had the same socks and toe coming out of the socks and had asked my husband to correct it, since he was assisting me to wear. Poor guy, he did comply with my request but looked at my face as if İ was mad.
Fyi- My Os advised the socks for 3 weeks.
However, i started the office today (just 4 hours) and wore panty socks (up to the knee) that has the lighest pressure level, kind of travelling socks.it did help.
 
Hi sansabosa. Nice to hear from you. Yes, I think that out of everything it was the socks that gave my husband the most difficulty. I was trying not to do too many sound effects, but even when he was trying to be gentle the stupid things are like trying to put a sausage back in it's skin!

How was going back to the office? I would image you are tired this evening.
 
Firebrand
Hi,
İt was great to go back to work, like the first day of school, you feel excited.
İ did feel tired at night and thought that i should have stayed an hour less at work. Well, at some point we need to get back to our routine and i think it is better to do it gradually by listening to your body...of course if you have that option.
Keep well, cheers.
 
So I'm now four and a half weeks post op, and am due to see the surgeon next week when I am hoping I will have my restrictions lifted. I'm quite possibly the world's most impatient person - but even I can't heal by willing myself to. But there is definitely a progress curve - even if it is shallow. For example I can see my slight improvements in being able to do the new 'harder' set of physio exercises that I was given last week. Straight leg lifts being one that utterly defeated me a week ago, I can now do for a set of 10 - but can't yet hold it. That's my next goal.

I banged my knees together by accident when I was getting in position to do the 'clams' exercise, and the jolt of pain made the air turn blue. But actually, it wasn't very long ago that the bone on bone hip I had was giving me jolts like that all the time - so I know which side of the op I'd rather be on.

I'm learning how to ask for help, without it choking me. I'm learning to say I can't do certain things (like school parent's evening), so can we come up with a different way of doing it?

Before I sound all zen though, I'm really quite dreading going back to the office. Partly because I know I wasn't quite as essential to the smooth running as I would hope to have been. But also because I'm afraid of being an object of pity. (When I went out to the supermarket the other day I was sat by the till having a rest, holding my cane in front of me, and I can't believe the amount of people that walked by giving me 'charitable' smiles. I should have taken my hat off and got some beer money out of it).

Here's a side story: About 18 months ago I was using a walking stick following a hip arthoroscopy. When I was going into the train station I put my cane in one hand while I got my ticket ready to put through the barrier. A man behind me tutted and muttered about how long I was taking. I pointed out there was another barrier next to me that was free. And he started up again. So I turned around (He possibly thought I was old as I had a cane and he only saw me from the back), and asked him if his mother would be proud to hear him being aggressive to someone with a walking stick, or was he just a pig to everyone? He shut up. It's worth saying I am nearly six foot and do martial arts.
 
Hi Firebrand

What a total Beeeeeeeeeeeeep!!........Why would anyone say that to someone with a cane? Young or old. I hope you made him blush with shame.

Well done you for taking a step back and accepting a bit more help. Hope that didn't hurt too much! :snork:

Those straight leg raises are tough aren't they? Took me a very long time before I could do those. Certainly wasn't doing them at your stage post op.

I don't think people look at you as an object of pity. It's probably one of your worst fears because you are so independent and a bit of a doer. And for the record why shouldn't your colleagues feel a wee bit sorry for you? Better that than being expected to carry on as normal as though nothing's happened. I should hope that you work with people who are thoughtful enough to ensure your return to work is as stress free as possible. This will probably only be for a short while.........most people have quite short memories. Before you know it you'll be back in the swing of things, hopefully forgetting at times that you ever had a hip replacement.
I think you have to accept that kind people will feel a bit sorry for you and thoughtful people will want to help you............try not to confuse this with pity..................Here endeth the lesson!

Sounds like your recovery is moving along nicely. :ok:

Keep on keepin' on warrior.

Lotsa love

Queenie xxx
 
What a tool, eh? My son was with me and cringing with how much I was embarrassing myself (according to him...). I must admit, I was sooo angry I turned on the guy, pulled myself to full height, and pointed out that the ruder he was to me, the slower I was going to go. I went a bit Travis Bickle (in my head). In reality I probably just looked like a mad thing!

There is something about commuting in London that can have the effect of turning people into selfish gits.

Pregnant women can get 'baby on board' badges, which helps people like me who are guessing if they are pregnant, or just fond of pies. You have no idea how many times I've had to haul myself out of my seat so that a pregnant woman can stand. The problem I had pre-op was standing for any length of time on the train meant that by the time I came to get off I was in agony and close to tears, but without a visual prop like a cane, I look able bodied. I look forward to being able to spring out of my seat in future.
 
I know that feeling, being in agony & close to tears. I used to feel like murdering someone, when I did the supermarket shopping. Halfway around I just wanted to dump the trolley of food and go home without it!
 
I hear you about the pity people seem to bestow upon those with a cane. I was stopped once in a store by an elderly gentleman also walking with a stick to quiz me about using the cane properly. What a hoot! I passed the test. It does give you street cred to use the handicap parking permit when you emerge from the car with a cane. Because of my age, many seniors were looking at me in a squirrelly manor, lest I be using this parking spot illegally.
 
Today I had my 6 week check up with my surgeon (although the person I actually saw was one of the surgeons that works to him). Which was 80% good news for me. Everything looks good, and he was happy with my walk, the level of mobility in the new hip, and how my scar is healing. I'm also now ok to return to the gym, taking it easy as I go in order to build the muscle and my stamina back up. Which of course is fantastic news, and I am very happy that already I can feel how much better the hip is compared to my pre-op state.

The 20%, which I found disappointing, was the level of restrictions I still have. What he said was that because of my height (I'm nearly 6 foot), I have a greater risk of dislocation, and therefore must avoid positions that are risky, at least until the end of the year eg pulling my knee up to my chin. One practical question that came to mind was how on earth do I do my toe nails?

He also advised me against going back to karate due to the risks involved. I know that in the general scheme of things I am lucky to have a functioning hip now. But I need to mourn the loss of the sport that I enjoyed. It was a life ambition to get my black belt by the time I was 50, which wasn't going to necessarily happen on time due to my deterioration over the last couple of years, but I wasn't far off track.
 
Hi Firebrand

So pleased you came back from your visit to your OS with good news. About that 20%............I'm 5'10" and I've had all restrictions lifted other than bringing my knee up my chin too. My OS said I could bring my knee up as far as I could, I just have to remember to turn it out to the side slightly. To be honest your body will tell you what is ok and what is not. I'm 3mths out now and can just about tie my shoe laces. My body just won't let me do any more. Don't fret too much about what you'll be able to do in the future. I suspect you'll be able to do a lot more than you imagine.

Sorry to hear that you might not achieve the black belt you were promising yourself. Now is a good time to look into something more appropriate for your new bionic hip. Can I suggest something like Pilates? It's such a good discipline to get in to. Very good for folks with bad backs and THRs. My Pilates teacher has a fabulous toned body......all down to Pilates, so she tells me. She's in her late 40's.
Your days of whipping people off their feet may be over but you now have an opportunity to put all that energy into a new exercise regime.
I understand how disappointed you must feel though. My brother is putting off having his hip replaced because he knows he'll have to give up his beloved water polo........and he plays at national level.

Still, all sounds pretty good in the hood. Are you able to drive now then? That'll definitely give you back a shed load of freedom.

This cold weather isn't helping my sore rump AT ALL! It was snowing here today.........It's bloomin' April!

Keep on keepin' on

Queenie xxxx
 
Thanks Queenie. It's always nice to get a response to a post. And yes, you are right that I should expect my body to be telling me what it can't do - in a good way - while it heals. I think I have got used to trying to force on through pre-op to get it to achieve things.

I'll look at pilates again. When I spoke to a local teacher pre-op she suggested not doing it as I was bone on bone then, but perhaps something I can do when I'm less stiff.

(I'm ashamed to say but I'm keeping on with my raised toilet seat as I find the angle of the normal lav a little too much at the moment).

Yesterday was my first day back in the office. I stood on the train platform in the snow on the way in wondering quite how I was going to cope! It all felt a little overwhelming and I immediately forgot to do all of the things that I promised myself about remembering to get up and have a little walk every hour. The train journey commute was something of an obstacle course, (Easter holidays so lots of families travelling outside the rush hour) and I got home exhausted. I've booked a week off now and I will do a proper phased return when I go back.

Surgeon said I can return to driving from today if I can do an emergency stop. So I'm going to get out at the weekend and see how I get on. My husband has to go to Turkey next week so I really need to get myself driving again.
 
Hi Firebrand, you ae doing really well! That must have been a huge challenge, catching the train to work in the snow. How exciting, driving again. I've done a bit of Pilates and really love it. It develops strong muscles and I always feel refreshed after a workout.
 
Wow Firebrand I think you are doing great!

Travelling on a busy commuter train 6wks out from a THR. What a huge milestone. That's not baby steps anymore that's big steps.

Not sure what classes are taught in your area but its been suggested by numerous professionals to me that I would find Pilates very beneficial. Try and find a class where the teacher is au fait with THR's.

I hung onto my raised seat AND my toilet frame for 8wks. Absolutely no need to feel ashamed at all. :blush: (always wanted to use that icon).

I hope you get the opportunity to have a little drive. The first time back in the saddle often feels a little bit strange but it's generally easy peasy, and soon you'll be wondering what you were concerned about.

I'll be thinking about you

Lotsa love

Queenie xxxx
 
I want to hang onto my raised toilet seat forever! Why are toilets built so low anyway?
 
Hi - I have a couple of questions.

- when I sleep on my side, with a pillow between my legs, the pillow comes out and knees go together, which gives me a painful 'pull' in my new hip, waking me throughout the night. How do people manage to keep the pillow in place?

- I'm six weeks post op and have had a new (for me) pain both yesterday and today. This is quite sharp and in the back of my bum cheek, most other pain having been duller and in a different place. I haven't been taking pain meds for weeks as I haven't needed them. But yesterday I took some cocodamol and of course, felt better but dopey. I really don't like the dopey feeling, especially now that I am due to start driving again. I'm sitting here icing. I know this is just the healing, but it feels odd that it's so sharp and in a new place?
 
I think we will all worry about any unusual ache or pain and it's right to do so 'just in case' and hopefully someone here will have a simple explanation for you to take that worry away, maybe tag one of the moderators? You are doing so well and at 3 weeks ahead of me, you are where I want to be at 6 weeks. I'm hoping to be able to try driving at about 5 weeks and then go back to work, albeit maybe a shorter week, at 6 weeks. I will need to be able to drive to get to work though as I live in the country, and I work 15 miles away also in the country, with no decent public transport. Hope you get that pain explained or even better it goes away!! :ok:
 
Firebrand, I don't have the pillow restriction, but I also find that if I sleep on my unoperated side without a pillow, I wake up with an achy feeling in the hip. I think it's because those muscles are all so tight from the arthritis preventing the leg from moving in that direction-- I was physically unable to lie on my side with my knees together for many years. I know you're worried about dislocation, but from what I read, dislocation is excruciatingly painful and prevents you from moving.

I'm about a week ahead of you and am starting to have strange pains, too. I think it's probably still the muscles healing, but I'm sending an email to my surgeon's PA today just to make sure.
 
Thanks for your responses.
Firebrand, I think it's because those muscles are all so tight from the arthritis preventing the leg from moving in that direction--.

BarbaraR I think that is probably very true in my case as well. And I think that the 'pulling' feeling in the night is related to the pain I'm getting during the day. As I am getting more active, I guess the whole area is feeling it. What is your swelling like? I can still see the difference in the mirror between my two hips, so I guess it will take a while yet to settle. I remind myself if I'm sitting down with a coffee to get the ice pack on it.

Today I went out for my first drive - and managed two emergency stops - so I am now clear to drive. Hurrah!

Littlejem a 15 mile drive will probably be quite exhausting for you at 6 weeks, so make sure that you don't get caught up in the office working longer than you intended. Also, do you have to get clearance to drive from your surgeon? I was told than I wouldn't be covered by my insurance before the 6 week point.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom