TKR Can lost ROM be regained

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor you bladder pain is the worst! Do get rest and hope you start to feel better tomorrow.
 
@Majic Just saw your post from yesterday evening. Wow, you really are going through the wars. I had chronic UTIs after my tkr in 2013, turns out it was the catheter. I was on antibiotics for about 3 months last year after it was discovered that the infection was high up in the bladder, most of the specimens l did showed no infection, but thankfully the gp l saw was wiser and knew that an infection wouldn't be picked up. Fingers crossed, m ok now. Just keep an eye on things and if you get recurring UTIs make sure you get long term antibiotics. I also had a scan and my bladder wasn't emptying properly! Blooming nuisance those catheters.
 
I was given a shot of strong antibiotics straight after the catheter was removed to prevent infection. I'm prone to UTIs so I was worried but was fine, thankfully. One of the nurses said that they don't use catheters as often as they used to because of the infection risk. I had one because I asked for it as I didn't want to keep asking for a bed pan the first night.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I, too, was given a huge dose of antibiotics after the catheter was removed. @Raffs is correct, the use of catheters is not as commonplace as they once were. Mine was taken out the next morning and my fluid outtake measured just to make sure all was ok.
 
@CATSMUM I tagged 4 of you last night but apparently it is against the rules and Jamie has removed all the tags. Thought I would let you know so you and @nanamoon27 can see it now.
 
Thank you, l did read your post, didn't see it until this morning when l checked my emails.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I was also given a big shot of antibiotics when the catheter came out, but I don't appear to have got away with it. I have never had a catheter without it Beijing followed by a UTI. So I suppose it would have been a surprise ir I had this time. Meanwhile top of mouth now OK but my throat is very very sore and painful. Every remedy for sore throats is extremely sweet, and making me feel sick as I do not have a sweet tooth at all.
 
@CATSMUM Apparently you are not allowed to tag several people at once because of mobile phone users. I don't understand this as I am not one, you can put their tags into the message but not at the beginning.
 
@CATSMUM what did they do to make you bladder empty properly? I too was on long term antibiotics about 20 years ago after many bouts of cystitis. The problem then is Thrush, which I am also prone to when on antibiotics and some Chemists will not sell you treatment for if you are over 60. Our doctors get fed up with them as it takes up an emergency appointment, and if it is Sunday we have to travel to a Chemist who will.

I am still waiting for the Nurse to call, apparently I am on their list, they must just be short staffed as it is School Holiday time. Meanwhile constipation is setting in and I daren't spend a long time in the loo as my husband has taken the dog for a walk, and I have missed my daily short one.
 
They didn't give me anything apart from antibiotics as they thought that would solve the problem. We really suffer don't we, just doesn't seem fair. I use dulcolease for constipation, also tried lactulose which worked well.
 
Nurse finally called, I am apparently emptying my bladder sufficiently so she confirmed bladder infection. She said antibiotics should start to work in 3 days, so after tomorrow should be much better. I hope sore throat goes same way. It is now a much smaller patch, but still very painful. I am rejoicing this morning as have had a. BM. With difficulty but nurse thought that would help bladder :loveshwr:
 
That's a positive update, very pleased to hear that things are improving. Hope the antibiotics kick in soon and that your throat improves.
 
Thanks, just ate a small lunch, which is also an improvement. My mouth seems less dry now so food is more appealing. Also had a short walk v short, and lovely visitor from my Church. She brought me a pot plant and a magazine, and it was really good to see her. My legs both ache now, I think it is the effort involved with passing BM. We can't win can we!
 
Very happy to hear that things are beginning to look up. I expect you'll start to feel better in a day or so now that you're on antibiotics. Hopefully, your throat will also improve. Good job, literally, on the BM :giggle:
 
Slept well last night with two ice packs for 3.5 hours, husband changed ice packs then woke at six in pain. Put up with it for 3/4 hour then took codeine. And went back to sleep. Had all other Meds with breakfast. Then back to sleep,almost 11 before I was up. However have had a pain free morning but still very tired, probably caused by antibiotics. Lunch is due, but can I keep awake to eat any of it. @Julie-Ann hope to see your friend sometime soon.
 
I think your body is catching up on lost sleep from these past few weeks. Don't fight it, sleep if you can. Eat a little lunch and then take a nap - you'll feel so much better. How's the throat and bladder?
 
@Raffs I'm just going to go to bed for a while. I had a little lunch - mouth is so dry I just don't fancy much, and find that it is hard to swallow. I nearly went to sleep drinking my coffee. Bladder seems better today, throat not a lot yet. There doesn't seem to be much you can do for sore throats except take paracetamol for pain :loll:My naps tend to last about 2 hours! Husband has to go out so I am concerned about how I can carry cup of tea into lounge
How on earth do bilaterals cope?
 
@Majic you sleep with ice packs on?

I've not been able to get hold of my friend yet, hope she will visit tomorrow so I can ask if she can collect the stool. Fingers crossed. If not, I'll just try and buy a cheap second hand stool locally - if it rusts it can go to the tip...... But hopefully she can collect from you.
 
@Majic do you have a portable hot cup? We gave two we bought in Starbucks and I can put a hot drink in one, put it in my handbag (shoulder bag I wear across body) and take it into the bedroom or lounge. My biggest challenge is staying stood up long enough to make the tea lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom