TKR Can lost ROM be regained

Status
Not open for further replies.
My leg is stiff after I've been elevating it especially when I've been elevating all night. I don't think you'll lose ROM. Once I've done a few heel slides I get the bend back. I went outside for a very short walk on about day 7 or thereabouts. Just did 5 mins on two crutches with hubby in tow. Just walk around your garden or drive when you feel like some fresh air, no rush at this stage. I'm doing about 15-20 mins outside now on a daily basis.
 
I slept even better last night, in same position as before with two I've packs. Main problem was sore heel again. I am frightened of getting a blister on it, as then shoes wouldn't fit. I slept last night with a blister plaster on heel,but still it was sore at 5.30 am. Has anyone else got this problem? Is there a suggested remedy. I also have quite a severe pain across my thigh where the tight bandage ended, although virtually all swelling of ankle and thigh has gone.
 
Jackie, can you put your leg on a pillow, so that your heel is hanging over the end of it? That may relieve some of the pressure on it.
 
@Celle for the last two nights I have had my ankle on a small rolled soft hand towel. This has kept my heel off the bed. Last night though I didn't sleep as well, ice packs started to hurt top and bottom, and I needed loo quite often. Eventually I slept with leg on a pillow, not ideal I know but I was not thinking straight at 3am. Tonight I will think it out before bed and elevate properly.
 
Has anyone else suffered from numbness in the lower leg after TKR ? It is from my shin round to the back of my leg, and stretches from under my knee to about my ankle bone. My foot top and bottom is fine. I am really worried that something has been permanently damaged, although I know it is very early days. My husband just says ' give it time the feeling will come back.' Anyone any ideas, I always think the worst.
 
@CATSMUM just read back through my threads, and saw that you had numb toes and foot for two weeks due to trapped nerve. Did they have to release it somehow, or did it just get better of its own accord ? :meow:
 
When is it OK to sleep on your side, and which side is best?
 
I think it is ok as soon as you feel comfortable doing it. I was able to sleep on my left side (had RTKR) after two weeks. I put a body pillow on my left, place a regular pillow on top of that, and roll over on my side, placing my right leg on top of the pillows. Feels pretty good, until it doesn't. Then I have a stint on my back. I switch position every couple of hours, at least. A good night's sleep remains elusive. But maybe tonight's the night!
 
From what I've read most people sleep with their non operated leg on the mattress, then put a pillow between their knees. I've done this when resting but haven't tried it at night as I'm pretty comfortable on my back.
 
@Raffs I am comfortable on my back too. The problem I am getting is pressure sores on my heels and occasionally elbows, which wake me up even though they are pretty small. I am having to put blister plasters on my heels. It didn't happen on my heels in hospital, I think the mattresses are specially made to prevent them, although I did get very sore elbows and the nurses put me large dressings on them.
 
Raffs, Nana moon 27, CATSMUM:

I am just off to my first Outpatient physiotherapist appointment at hospital. I expect she will be disappointed as I am, as I think I have lost quite a bit of ROM since she last saw me. This is due to having knee & leg in tight crepe bandage for 24 hours before I came home. I have being doing my home exercises as much as possible but I have been too tired most of time to do them as much as I would like. Hope you are all doing well at your different stages of recovery.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck. Hope it goes well. Please try not to be disappointed. I was only at 75 at your stage. Until the swelling deceases you won't be able to bend your knee much anyway. You're only 11 days out - very early indeed. Post later if you can to update us.
 
@Raffs Physio was quite pleased with me, I have gone down to 68 which she thought was not bad considering the swelling. Outpatients was a different matter though, first the dressing wouldn't come off, then when it did the wound bled a little. It has been redressed with a waterproof dressing, which I think is too tight as it seems to be pulling on the skin on my leg. If it is not more comfortable tomorrow, I shall either ring for a District Nurse to redress it, or have a go myself as I have some spare dressings. My extensive bruising is turning red, and I have a large inflamed bruise where I have been wearing my watch. The duty doctor phoned my Surgeon, and after much discussion they have stopped my Fragmin injections and taken a blood sample to see how my platelets are.
So all in all good news and bad news. I don't know what will happen next. By for now, I have had a very tiring afternoon.
 
68 is ok for 11 days, similar to how I was. Hope you get the dressing sorted. Have you had your staples removed yet? I had a nasty black bruise on my arm from the injections but it didn't appear until after I'd stopped them. My GP wasn't at all concerned. Hope you've had a restful evening and sleep well tonight.
 
@Raffs I've been to our surgery this morning and the nurse changed the dressing for me. I also saw the Doctor who usefully used to be my surgeon's registrar before he went into general practice, as the top of my mouth is very sore, and I was worried that it could be infected. He seems pretty sure that it is where the tube rubbed the top of my mouth and throat during my general anaesthetic. I am very relieved and my leg is much more comfortable.
I slept very well last night which does make a difference, although my mouth is very dry and I have very little appetite. Did this happen to you? You are a few weeks ahead of me, how are you getting on? I have cut down on codeine and am using ice instead, which works well and less codeine is helping with constipation, which is still a problem but nothing like as bad as last time. It is lovely weather today here but very windy, so I shall go out for a short walk.
 
That's good, glad you got the dressing changed. Hope it is more comfortable now?

Your mouth sounds very sore, can your use Bonjela or similar on it?

Sleep makes a huge difference. My mouth was horribly dry for the first couple of weeks. I drank so much in hospital - good job I had a catheter!! I am still drinking loads now although the dry mouth has gone. I had a very poor appetite for the first couple of weeks too, lost a few pounds - put them back on though.....

I'm doing well thanks. Very thankful that my recovery has been pretty smooth. I'm frustrated at how slow it is but I've been very lucky in that I've had no major issues at all - fingers crossed!! It's 5 weeks today, the time has flown by.

I still take some codeine - my GP has given me a plan to cut down so that I don't get any withdrawal symptoms. I should be off it completely next week. I am still taking lactulose once or twice a day which prevents constipation.

Enjoy your walk, I went out for 25 mins earlier - it is windy here too!
 
Raffs, CATSMUM, Nana moon 27 and Julie-Ann:

I have pulled us Brits together to update you on my news. After 2trips to the Doctor this morning, have had my third. The sore mouth gradually developed into a sore throat and one swollen gland. My bladder which has seemed a little strange for a day or two became painful, it aches, and it became a slow job to go, taking several little dribbles - bladder infection I thought due to catheter!! :sos: Back to surgery, made it just before closing time. Came away with antibiotics, for throat and possibly bladder infection when specimen is tested, and District Nurse booked to call in morning to check bladder is emptying properly. Scan apparently, didn't know that this was a possibility, and I didn't dare to ask what would happen if it wasn't.
All in all not too good a day although I slept well last night, first until two, went to loo, fresh ice, then until 5.30am for loo again, but neither time in pain. Then I went for a nap this afternoon, and woke with very painful and throbbing bladder which is when panic started. If only my appetite would come back, my husband looks so sad and worried when I am not hungry.
I hope everyone has had a better day and wishing you all a good night's sleep.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no! How awful for you. Glad you got to see the doctor. Wishing you well, hoping the antibiotics do the trick and that it isn't anything more serious. Don't worry about your appetite, it will return. Just try to eat small amounts of good food, something you fancy. Having a full tummy helps with the constipation too. Try to relax and rest tonight and please update us in the morning.
 
Glad you were able to get the antibiotics so quickly. I hope they do the trick for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom