TKR Can lost ROM be regained

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Clipless :dancy: I just finally plucked up the courage to ride my bike for the first time in probably 2 years. I was very nervous at first, but after a wobbly start I rode a short distance, then turned round and came back. Much rejoicing in the household. If only it wasn't for the pains directly under both knees I would be back to normal and could stop the painkillers. I see OS next week for his opinion. Physio thinks I need 5/6 sessions of massage to loosen all my muscles which she thinks have tightened due to long infection and large weight loss causing muscles to waste away. I suppose I hardly could walk for 2/3 months and used two sticks until Feb and on and off since then in bad weather as my legs were so weak. I don't know how long it will be before I can go far on my bike as we live at the top of a hill, so it will be hard coming back until my muscles are much stronger.
Hope you are still doing well, at last we have beautiful weather here with no wind, so perhaps my aches and pains will improve. Unfortunately I am back on antibiotics for bladder, but I am getting used to that problem. Must go now to make lunch.
 
Wow, yay!!! I agree, stick to flatter riding areas at first. Do you and your husband have a vehicle that you can throw your bikes inside or on a bike rack and then drive down to the flatlands for easy riding? I only recently started tackling the bigger hills, and now it actually feels kind of good to climb. Unfortunately work, rainstorms, and other obligations have been limiting my time in the saddle. Try the first massage and see how you like it, but don't let her hurt you! Are you looking forward to a beautiful summer?
 
Sadly my hubby is not as keen on cycling as I am although he uses one around the town. We would have to go about 8/10 miles for a flat cycle track in our nearest town and next week is the annual Horse Racing festival, so the roads will be so clogged no-one leaves home unless they absolutely have to. It will even be difficult to get to our Dancing class next week without detouring around another town. Maybe we could try in the middle of the day when everyone is at the racecourse. The weather is still beautiful, the garden is beginning to turn green and flowers are starting to come out. Hoping to dance tomorrow afternoon, festival starts Tues. but horses jockeys etc all arrive tomorrow.
 
Yesterday I saw my OS to get his opinion on pain in both legs. He is very happy with right leg which is newest knee. Left leg is more of a puzzle although it took a lot of weight for a long time when fairly new both before and after second TKR. He agrees with Physio that having lost a stone and a half my muscles were very wasted and although he thinks my quads have built up well, the lower leg is still very thin and the muscles tight. He said I had a bit of compartment syndrome, and has recommended weekly massage, lots of stretches, and plenty of exercise, so it is lucky that the weather is improving so much. He also told me to in the words of Strictly, 'Keep Dancing'. I have certainly done that this week, having danced Monday afternoon and last night, and am fairly painless today. He is unconcerned about me taking paracetamol when I need it for as long as I need it. I am off now for a massage, about a mile to walk, so I am giving myself plenty of time.
 
I feel very down at the moment, my leg muscles are very tight, I have quite bad pain across my legs below both knees even sitting, despite taking full dose of paracetamol. The weather is very dull and cold and there is a north east wind, so I don't feel like going far or doing much. Is it possible for a big weight loss ( I lost between a fifth and a sixth of my body weight ) in such a short time to cause so much trouble with my muscles? Does anyone out there know?
I am very fed up with pain, and I know that my husband is at his wits end, and also thoroughly fed up.
Apart from massage and stretching and walking, is there anything else I can do? I am icing and elevating whenever I sit for long, but today the weight of the ice pack on my legs is making them hurt more.
@Josephine is it possible for paracetamol to lose its effect after a long period of time? It seems to make little difference at the moment. Also I am back on nitrofurontoin after two recurrences of the UTI which caused the weight loss.
 
Hi Jackie. I can't offer you any practical advice but I hope it helps just a little to know that I completely understand how you are feeling re the pain and re feeling down. I am utterly fed up of pain, having been in pain or discomfort with this knee for over a year. Pain is exhausting, debilitating and drags you down. I had a very low day yesterday and I cried a few times out of frustration and fear that things will not get better. Paracetamol has no effect on my pain at all. I haven't taken any today and, in fact, my pain is a bit less than yesterday. Please keep using this forum to vent about how you are feeling. We understand. And we all want the same thing, to start living a full life again as soon as we can. That's why we had the surgery after all. Unless you've been through it then it is hard to understand the worries and frustration and fear. Sending a hug from a grey London.
 
Jackie, like Raffs I know how you feel too. I'm fed up with taking anti-inflammatory tablets after so long, Physio told me to keep taking them yesterday. I'm fortunate as l'm able to take them. Paracetamol had very little effect on my pain.
What have you been doing over the last few days? Could you have overdone things a little? Like Raffs I'm sending you a hug from grey, cloudy, cold Wiltshire. X
 
I have quite bad pain across my legs below both knees even sitting, despite taking full dose of paracetamol. Josephine, is it possible for paracetamol to lose its effect after a long period of time? It seems to make little difference at the moment.
No, it isn't. And what do you call "a full dose"? How often are you taking it? Have you tried taking something stronger? What about your co-codamol? Have you tried taking them instead?
I am icing and elevating whenever I sit for long, but today the weight of the ice pack on my legs is making them hurt more.
How heavy are they?
Apart from massage and stretching and walking, is there anything else I can do?
Have you tried a TENS machine?
 
Just read through the whole of this thread and spotted some interesting things ...
I go to bed with 2, 1 flat on the bed under my knee then 1 on top, either along my knee or draped on top and down the sides. Rather like a leg sandwich, then I fold a towel and put it down the rest of my leg to my heel
Admittedly this post was last August but are you still doing this? And you didn't mention putting a tea towel or similar under the ice pack.
One night in hospital, the third I think, I suddenly had a stabbing pain behind my knee. I rang for a nurse, who sent for a doctor. I felt down my leg to show him where the pain was, and realised that the inside of my leg from knee to ankle, and shin to mid point on the back had gone numb. What is worrying me is that although it is numb, it is also fairly painful if I press it hard
Another post from last summer but do you still have this problem?
I am thoroughly fed up with taking paracetamol. Is that what you take? I am trying to keep off naproxen, although I don't think I was as stiff when I was taking it.
I think that is a bad idea. If you have pain, you need the pills. Doesn't matter for how long.
Physio thinks I need 5/6 sessions of massage to loosen all my muscles which she thinks have tightened due to long infection and large weight loss causing muscles to waste away.
I totally agree.
He said I had a bit of compartment syndrome, and has recommended weekly massage, lots of stretches, and plenty of exercise,
Oh really? Didn't I say this way back in November?

Are you still seeing your chiropractor?
Are you still doing the stretches she recommended?
 
@Josephine
No, it isn't. And what do you call "a full dose"? How often are you taking it? Have you tried taking something stronger? What about your co-codamol? Have you tried taking them instead?
I take 1,000mg 4 x day.I try to avoid co-codamol as I can get very constipated.
How heavy are they?
They are hot/cold packs which I keep in the freezer, yesterday is the first time they had felt painfully heavy.
Have you tried a TENS machine?
TENS machines are out due to Epilepsy.
 
Admittedly this post was last August but are you still doing this? And you didn't mention putting a tea towel or similar under the ice pack.
Yes, each ice pack was wrapped up in layers of a hand towel.

Numbness in leg is now in a small section of side to back of leg not very numbe, and not at all painful. I had almost forgotten about it.
I think that is a bad idea. If you have pain, you need the pills. Doesn't matter for how long.

I stopped Naproxen as despite taking Omeprazole I was still getting quite bad wind. I thought it best to stay off NSAIDs.
Are you still seeing your chiropractor?
My Chiriopractor passed me on to a Sports Masseuse, who massaged them once using virtually identical techniques. Since then she has been very busy, so last week I saw another lady locally who advertises holistic massage. She used a very different tecnique, and said she believes in coaxing the muscles into relaxing rather than forcing them to. The day after I felt wonderful, and had hardly any pain until late afternoon. This week I have an appointment with the first one again, so I thought I would see how I felt after this session before deciding what to do next. I am tempted by a Physiotherapist/Osteopath who also does Hydrotherapy in his own pool. However it is about 30 mins car ride away and would probably cost about £40 for a taxi or my husband would have to wait for an hour for me each time I went. The others I can get to on foot.

Are you still doing the stretches she recommended?
Yes, buI am concerned about one which uses a theraband I think it is called to pull my ankle backwards, and I worry it will pull on my knee too much, so mainly I have avoided that one.

Thank you for all the help you have given me I really do appreciate it, ad hope that one day I won't need to bother you any more.
 
I try to avoid co-codamol as I can get very constipated.
Well treat the constipation, don't deprive yourself of pain meds!
TENS machines are out due to Epilepsy.
Oh :doh: I forgot - sorry.
I stopped Naproxen as despite taking Omeprazole I was still getting quite bad wind. I thought it best to stay off NSAIDs.
Wind is not a problem. Burping might be. But still I say don't stop taking the pain meds!
My Chiropractor passed me on to a Sports Masseuse
Ah yes! Another "I forgot"!!
am concerned about one which uses a theraband
I don't blame you!
hope that one day I won't need to bother you any more.
Oh don't worry about that - it's my job here.
 
I decided I preferred the second Masseuse, so today I had another session with her. After the first one I had a blissfully painless morning the day after. I shall have to see how I get on this time- here's hoping!
I contacted the Osteopath/physiotherapist/hydrotherapist and have an appointment for an assessment in two weeks time when I have to take a swimming costume, so I obviously get some hydrotherapy at the assessment. They are a big practice with about 10/12 people specialising in different things. They advertise post TKR therapy, so I am hopeful that they can help. It is quite expensive but I think lack of pain is worth an awful lot. They are even more out in the Country than we are, and as like @Raffs I am not a driver my husband will have to take me and bring me back, so it could be a long wait for him. Hopefully it will be lovely weather like today, so we can take the dog with us and he can take it on a walk while I am there. According to the map there are lots footpaths in the area. Hope everyone reading this is getting on well.
 
I hope that you get the help you need soon to feel better. It is very difficult living in pain that you just cannot seem to stop. I hope the hydrotherapy is your answer. At one point in my life I lost a third of my body weight in about 2 months. All my muscles did atrophy. It took a while for my muscles to regain strength and I was only 29 at the time. Your muscle strength will come back the more you do.
 
@newlybionic When you were getting your muscles back to normal did they hurt and pull and tighten occasionally? Mine are sometimes so painful I can feel them tugging and it feels as though needles are sticking into them. Other times they are OK. Mostly the severe pains have gone, but this kind of pain is weird I've never felt it before anywhere in my body. I am just hoping hydrotherapy will help them relax. I think if it wasn't for muscle pain I would be off painkillers which is the day I hope for.
 
The muscles did go through a period of time when it seemed like they would knot up and caused pain. As I improved they eventually started to moving again. I used to take nice warm baths to help.
 
How did you feel after the massage last week? Did it help?
 
@Raffs . Initially it didn't make the difference it made the first time, but as time has gone on I do seem to be able to walk further more easily, although I still get the pains below my knee. Not all the time, but enough to be annoying and depressing so far out. How are you getting on after your injection? Are you carrying on with the ultrasound as well?
 
I'm glad the massage has been helping you. Will you be able ton continue them for long? Hopefully your pain will start to disappear completely.
 
@newlybionic I shall continue with treatment as long as I am in pain. Fortunately I spend very little on other things so can afford to. I have some more massage tomorrow and then next week I see the Physio/hydrotherapist and get his opinion and some treatment. I am hoping to improve as on 15th our dance club is having a weekend trip to the north of England to dance at the very famous Blackpool tower ballroom. At least it is very famous here I can't speak for the US. I hope you are progressing as hoped and not regretting your decision.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom