TKR Can lost ROM be regained

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am eight and a half months out now and the muscle pains I was having in my legs seems to have now moved to an arc either side of each knee, first on the outside. And then on the inside, and after a reasonable walk along under my knees. This mornings dog walk and shopping trip via the butchers caused quite severe pain even thought I am taking the full dose of Paracetamol 4 X day and Naproxen 3 X day. Can anyone give me any hope that this will all end soon or even ever. Did I make a big mistake having the TKR's? My other knee is now 17 months old, and until my 2nd TKR hardly hurt at all, so what can be the cause. My hospital PT says I am probably 2/3 months behind because of the UTI which lasted for months, and the subsiquent weight loss. Could this be really possible? @referee54 you seem to have had a slow recovery ROM wise, but did you have a lot of pain, or was that not an issue?
 
On Thursday I went for PT & Hydrotherapy. He examined every bit of both knees, and said that the trouble I was having was definitely not caused by my knees as he had examined many replacement knees over the years, and mine were the best two he had felt! That was certainly good news although I knew my surgeon is reckoned to be the expert around here.I spent an hour with him in the pool, he found the exact spot on both knees where the pain was and massaged and pummelled them both for ages. The day after I was pain free although still a little bit tight on the knees. However I had a minor accident on the way to Blackpool, the coach stopped for us to have a break, and the driver forgot to lower the bottom step. I stepped off it and gave myself an MUA but without the A. I don't recommend it! However with ice and ibuprofen gel I managed to dance a bit last night and this afternoon at the Blackpool Tower Ballroom to the Mighty Werlitzer - a great experience. I may be in the ODIC when I get home, but I managed it, and all 52 of us have had a great experience.
 
I'm glad that your misstep didn't cause you too much of a problem and you were able to participate in the dance.
 
@Wanttobebiking I read your post on Raffs recovery thread. How I agree with you. I am also using anti inflammatory gel around my knees, but in my heart I know it probably isn't going to be a permanent solution. I just want to be back to where I was this time last year with my left knee, and much better with my right like others are. I just don't know what to do next, or where to turn for help. I had another massage this morning, it feels lovely when she massages the painful bits, but then if I come home and do much it is more painful than before. It is easy to dwell on how unlucky we have been.
 
Hi Majic. I too am getting massage, and I haven't decided if it is helping or not. I only had one deep tissue treatment so far. I need to keep reminding myself that I am only 9 months post-op and that it can take 12-18 months for soft tissue issues to resolve. My PA was wearing a boot yesterday. He had surgery today to repair his achilles tendon, which is his first orthopedic surgery. He is already very sympathetic with a great bedside manner but I think this will make him even more empathetic.

At least you are dancing and I am having fun bike riding. It will get better for us both and for Raffs, too.
 
@Wanttobebiking You're right of course, we are able to do what we want to do, but wouldn't it be lovely to be pain free as well. I have posted others who are this far out, they seem to be pain free virtually by now and thinking of other things. Every day I think one day that will be me. Catsmum is also having problems, so there appears to be a small group of us dawdlers in the recovery stakes. I know you're right about the 12-18 months, but it is going to seem an awfully long time. I shall be 70 this year and really thought I would be better by then.
 
@Majic You're so right when you say that you thought you'd be better by now, thought l'd be back to normal too! I know it can take a long time, but my goodness, this is taking the mickey. I'm due to have my 3rd session of acupuncture on Friday. Not sure if it's helping really.
 
It seems like there's a number of us that had problems from our surgeries last summer. I'm all he way back to the beginning again. It definitely has been very frustrating for me.
 
Hi again. My PT, PA, and OS all tell me I am leaps and bounds ahead of many TKR patients so I need to remember that. I have very high expectations! And I am going to keep them high! I want full recovery to be able to do everything without pain and discomfort. I think we should remember that many TKR folks never get back on a bike or do much dancing. If I did not have stairs to address, I wouldn't even know I was still having pain. It makes sense to me finally that I should not compare myself with others and I should not set goals. If I didn't ever think I was going to be fully recovered at 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 months, I never would have been disappointed. It has been a hard lesson for me to learn, and I am not even sure I have fully comprehended it yet. But I hear you. Feels like we are giving up precious time!!!!!!!! I leave for Europe next week, a celebration of my husband's 70th, and of course I never thought that I would still be hanging around Bonesmart at this stage. Oh well at least I am not the only one! Hang in there Majic and Catsum!
 
@Wanttobebiking Maybe we are doing better than we think and we are just impatient. Where are you going to in Europe? I hope your knee holds up well, try n to overdo it. My next trip is sadly to the funeral of one of my University friends who married my room mate, so not a happy occasion.
 
It took me quite some time after my BTKR----eight months before I was approaching 90% or so. It was frustratingly slow---I thought I would never see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Hang in there! Some recoveries do take upwards to year or so, so just keep on keepin' on!
 
@referee54 Thanks for your encouragement, I really do get down sometimes. Especially since the overweight and elderly man in the next road had his op almost2 months after me, and seems to have had very little trouble. Admittedly he goes everywhere by car, and his wife looks after the home, which I am trying to do as well as having to walk everywhere as I don't drive.
 
Especially since the overweight and elderly man in the next road had his op almost2 months after me, and seems to have had very little trouble.
Resist the idea of comparing your recovery to somebody else---for some reason, there is always somebody who recovers faster than you---trust me, my recovery was like the tortoise and the hare----everybody else was reaching the finishing line faster than me----but I did get there, and you will too.

Fight the urge to look at everybody else's recovery---we are all unique, and our TKR recoveries are just as unique.
 
:yahoo:I had a good day yesterday.
After Tuesday night's dance class my muscles ached like mad on Wednesday- obviously new Rumba step was repeated too many times. However yesterday I had to collect new glasses from my optician in Cheltenham our nearest big town, and buy some new shoes for holiday a week tomorrow, as we are going to Kent tomorrow for a best friend's funeral. I don't drive, so took a long and circuitous bus journey so I could call at a fantastic shoe shop in a neighbouring village. No luck there, so on to town. I collected two pairs of glasses, at last I can see to read properly, and have my prescription sunglasses back. Having a cataract operation has improved my vision no end, but cost a fortune in new glasses! Then after treating myself to a nice lunch I hit the shoe shops. I remembered what someone recommended on Bonesmart about buying new shoes after TKRs, and bought some smart but flat black shoes for the funeral, plus two summer pairs for our holidays.
Cheltenham was a treat, bright sunshine, pavement cafes all along the promenade, and great buskers, one singing songs from Les Mis had collected quite a crowd, and a good bit of money. My knees were so good I didn't really need any painkillers, but took one paracetamol at lunchtime just in case. I was fairly loaded with shopping, so phoned hubby, who met me at the bus stop bless him and carried everything up the hill home. I was out for five and a half hours and knees stood up well. The only achy muscles were inside the first knee. I iced last night while we watched TV, and didn't need anything for pain this morning although we have been packing to go away tomorrow. I am beginning to think that at last I am turning a corner. I do hope it lasts and isn't just a peak to be followed by a trough.
 
You did have a big day. It's good to hear how well your knees behaved. :happydance::yay:
 
Hi magic. Wow! You sound like you have made huge strides. I am writing this from Helsinki where I am navigating lots of steps and doing well. Hope everything goes well at your friend's funeral.
 
I was very stiff yesterday after a 5 hour journey down from Gloucestershire to Kent. An accident on the M25 caused a delay and we stopped for lunch and a loo break. Much better this morning and hope to get into the hotel pool for some gentle PT. Funeral at 2pm.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom