TKR Can lost ROM be regained

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I never knew about your epilepsy. Sorry that's made a TENS wrong for you. That's a bummer
 
@Josephine in your last but one reply when I asked about exercises, you put an exclamation mark after your reply. Does this mean that you were surprised at the suggestion and that it was a stupid idea, or that I am being stupid in not knowing the answer? I really don't feel any nearer to knowing the what to do for the best. Should I do them to help the muscles, or not do them to protect my knees?
 
@Josephine Could you say whether it would in your opinion worth going back to my OS to see if he knows what is going on.
 
@Majic - It would help Josephine to understand your question about the exclamation mark if you could quote the relevant part of what she posted. She gets dozens of tags every day and it's quite time-consuming for her if she has to look back in your thread to see what you are talking about. Do you think you could do that?
 
in your last but one reply when I asked about exercises, you put an exclamation mark after your reply. Does this mean that you were surprised
None of those. It meant that I was astonished your doctor would say that you "shouldn't need anything by now" when you'd just got through telling him you were in pain! "All evidence to the contrary" means that it is obvious you do have pain and he was not being a very good 'carer' by telling you something that was patently not true!

As for seeing your doctor, not knowing him, I couldn't possibly offer an opinion on whether or not he would be likely to know what is going on with you. It might be worth a try.
 
@Celle I know it would help Josephine a lot, and I tried, but I don't know how to. Could you explain to me how to do it, I am still no nearer finding the answer to whether to do the excercises or not. I have always wondered how to quote passages, it would be a great help to know. I eould be grateful if you or someone else could explain.
 
You select/highlight a piece of text and a sign comes up - "+Quote/Quote this Message". Choose "Quote this Message" and the text you highlighted will appear in the message box at the bottom of the page, where you type your message.

Josephine explains it all very well in this article,
How to quote a post
Which you'll find in the section,
How To Use This Forum
Lots of useful hints in that area!
However, my Chiropractor who seems to be doing me a lot of good, has given me exercise for my tight calf muscles and the muscle down the outside of my left leg. Two of them are hamstring stretches, and I think the third is a quad stretch." What is your opinion of these exercises, and also riding my exercise bike, and how long at a time to you recommend.
Are these the exercises you're talking about? If so, I think Josephine meant that it's OK to do them. She trusts her chiropractor, so I think she'd agree with a recommendation from one. Stretching exercises (as long as you don't overdo them) are usually OK.
Usually, at 7 months, just the activities of daily living are enough exercise for a TKR, but a bit of gentle stretching won't hurt and could help.

If it were me, I'd just use the exercise bike for short periods on days when I wasn't working.

I hope this helps. :)
 
@Clipless I think you have had your sscond knee replacement. Have you had any problem with your first, since your second? I seem to be the only person this has happened to. Catsmum did for a very short time, but mine is persistent and often the first is more painful than the second.
Yes, absolutely! As I lost muscle tone during my second TKR recovery my first knee started acting up and clicking. About three months post op I was able to begin strengthening both legs at the gym, etc. and the problems gradually faded away. So yes, in essence, I find exercise (the right amount of carefully applied muscle-building exercise) extremely helpful in regaining my mobility. But I am not you! If you are experiencing any new, unusual, or particularly bothersome pains it would be best to get checked by your physician. First make sure everything is okay with your knees, then proceed from there.

I still have an occasional discomfort with my new right knee, as in recently after I forgot and crossed my legs and got "stuck" again :bignono: , but that pain wasn't even bad enough to warrant a Tylenol. You love dancing, but perhaps back off a bit until you know what's going on?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Clipless I think you have hit the nail on the head with muscle tone. After my second TKR I got a UTI, was on antibiotics for five months and lost about 20 lbs weight. My muscles practically disappeared and I had to use two sticks for months, and even now have to use a stick at times. My muscles are tight and sore, both my calf muscles and down the outside of my left leg became rigid when I walked far. Dancing seems to loosen them and the day after I am usually much better. It doesn't help that the weather here is very windy. Yesterday I took two sticks to Church as the wind was 45 mph and in my face coming up hill. It is half a mile and was hard going. Today is better, but icy cold which also tightens my muscles. I now have tingling sensations inside and outside the underneath of my knee. They feel like something knitting together, so am hoping it is a good sign.
What kind of exercises do you do? Josephine has told me not to do exercises now that I am doing everyday activities. I am seeing a chiropractor who is massaging the tight parts, and has worked wonders on some muscles. She has given me exercises, but I am reluctant to go against Josephine's advice.
The other problem I have is standing for long. I don't know if this is knee or muscle problem. However since it is worse for first knee so shouldn't be the knee. Do yo have problems standing?
 
@Clipless I forgot to say I haven't danced for over a week, and it has been worse this week than last.
 
@Majic
Did you read what I wrote about those exercises in Post #307?

Jo didn't tell you not to do the stretching exercises your chiropractor gave you. She said "That's OK then."

I know you say that dancing makes your legs feel better, but dancing can put some unusual stresses on new knees. Some of the moves twist your knees and new TKRs don't like that at all. You haven't danced for a week, but I think you should probably give it longer than that before resuming, because your left TKR isn't four months old yet It's still a baby.

Lots of us find that standing still hurts until quite late in recovery. This pain will fade as time passes..
 
I agree with Celle. Try to avoid standing for long periods.

@Majic , honestly it's best to get checked by your OS first. If he says it's okay to begin strengthening your muscles, you should be assessed by a physical therapist or personal trainer. You'll need someone physically right beside you to teach you how to stretch and strengthen safely. It sounds like some of your muscles are fairly strong (you can walk uphill against the wind!) while others are weak and/or tight. Am I correct? Maybe the chiropractor can guide you by determining which muscles are weak. EDIT: I see that he has already done this. Try following his recommendations. How is your nutrition? Haven't you lost a lot of weight recently? A balanced diet including adequate protein is essential for strong muscles. And how about vitamins? I changed my daily vitamin recently to Centrum Silver (not sure if UK has that brand) and I think I have more energy. I also take a little extra Vitamin D and B12. I hope you feel better soon!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Celle Celle, you are confused about my left knee , it is now 15 and a half months old, and I danced on it from 4/5 months old last year until my right leg couldn't carry on any more. When my right knee was 4 /5. Months old I asked my surgeon when I could dance and he said it would be fine then, and I danced tentatively 3 times befor Christmas just doing very slow dances. Since then I have increased gradually, but the main pain is in the left leg which has the oldest knee.
@Clipless Thanks for your concern, I did lose about 20 lbs when I had the UTI! But have put a lot of that back.r My chiropractor says my muscles are so tight they are almost rigid. She thinks dancing loosens them as it is fairly gentle exercise in a warm room, whereas here the temperatures, winds and general weather is pretty cold. I am due there soon so will have to go.
 
@Clipless The chiropractor massaged both my legs, she said that my muscles are rigid and have knots in them. She has given me gentle stretches to do both daily and before and after dancing. She has referred me to a local masseur and said if it is not much better after a month to go back to the Physio at the hospital, and see if she thinks I need a follow up with the OS.
I think my diet is pretty good I eat meat, fish and cheese once or twice a day. I love fruit and veg and eat about 7 portions a day. I also take vitamins C, D, B complex, Calcium and Zinc every day, and feel pretty healthy.
How do you sit to watch TV or read in the evening? I find it hard to know what to do. Do I still need to elevate after 7 months? I usually do, but it tends to tighten my calf muscles. Any advice welcome.
 
It sounds like you are in good hands between your chiropractor and masseuse. When you elevate bend your knees to comfort. Hopefully that will help ward off the calf cramps. Whenever I sit or recline with my legs out straight I am rarely completely still- I do ankle pumps and alternately bend and straighten my knees. This won't hurt you so give it a try!
 
@Celle Celle, you are confused about my left knee , it is now 15 and a half months old, and I danced on it from 4/5 months old last year until my right leg couldn't carry on any more. When my right knee was 4 /5. Months old I asked my surgeon when I could dance and he said it would be fine then, and I danced tentatively 3 times befor Christmas just doing very slow dances. Since then I have increased gradually, but the main pain is in the left leg which has the oldest knee.
Yes, I misread the date as 2015, not 2014. My advice is the same, though. Obviously that knee is not happy camper and it needs a break.

Did you read the information about how to quote part of a message.
 
Last Thursday I spent an hour with a Masseuse having a sports massage on both legs. It was uncomfortable at the time but I felt much looser afterwards. Haven't had much trouble with muscles since, but area under and around outsides of both knees still very painful. Tomorrow morning I am going back to the Physio I saw at the hospital, and I have made an appointment to see the OS next week to get his opinion. Sometimes they can be very very painful about an 8. Today despite a walk this morning, an hours Dance Lesson, and a long dog walk this afternoon, I forgot to take my paracetamol at noon, and am still in no pain now. I think all my pain now must be muscles or tendons or something like that. Perhaps tomorrow I will find out. Standing is definitely the most influential thing I do, and I did an awful lot of that yesterday. Alas I must now go and make Dinner so standing again.
 
Sounds like a good plan to continue with massage, stretches and checking it out with your OS. Good luck.
 
Saw my Physio this morning. She is very pleased with my knees, she thinks all trouble stems from muscle problems, made worse by the fact that first knee was in a splint for two weeks so that muscles were very underused until 3 weeks after op., then after second knee I had bad UTI and lost one and a half stone in weight, was on antibiotics for 5 months and my muscles almost disappeared, my legs were just loose skin. She thought that it would take a long time to build them back up and that massage and dancing would help.
I have an appointment with my OS next week, which she thought would reassure me. She thought my problems with standing were partly that my legs get easily tired and that the muscles are not supporting them properly.
Have made two more appointments for massage and am dancing quite a bit.
 
Last time I saw my OS, about. 5 weeks ago, I found it very reassuring. I too have been told to get regular massage therapy. Lucky us. Keep us posted.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom