TKR Can lost ROM be regained

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CATSMUM I am not too happy about the loss of weight. I was only 8 stone 8 before the operation, I am skin and bone now. None of my clothes fit and my wedding ring falls off. I just have been finding it so difficult to eat because of all the antibiotics I am worried about losing more.
 
Oh good lord. I wouldn't be happy either, what does your GP say about your weight Loss?
 
I'm good I guess. I expected the second TKR to be different, and it is- weird shooting pains that stop me in my tracks, and lots of bruising, but my flexion is better than last time. This knee I am doing it my way [no home RN, no home PT, no CPM machine] and still glad for that decision. I change my own incision bandage, rest, do gentle stretches, and rest some more. I will begin outpatient PT in a few weeks when I am able to drive.
 
@CATSMUM My doctors and different consultants just say I will gain weight when I respond to the antibiotics and get my appetite back, which is beginning to happen I think, although I am still living from day to day. I can't feel too hopeful yet after what has happened, and a lot of the time I feel quite depressed and weepy, especially about the fact that the drugs and infection and tiredness have had very bad effects on my epilepsy, just when I had got to the point of getting my driving licence back. Not much hope now I think, at least another 2 years once I am stable again, and that could be some time after what has happened.

We are going away to a Hotel not too far away next week for 4 days which will be good. It has a good indoor pool, gym, lots of gardens, beauty parlour etc. I hope to feel more cheerful after that as long as the UTI. Stays away.

Meanwhile I have had a 24 hour tape to read my heart rate, and am due an echocardiogram when I get back, all to see why I fainted in May.

@Clipless good to know you are well, my second knee had better flexion sooner than my first, and if it wasn't for the weeks of UTIs I think I would be feeling pretty good by now. Good luck with yours.
 
Did tests ever come up with a specific organism causing your UTI's? It must be a real baddie. It sounds like you've been in a viscious cycle with this beast for far too long. I hope your mini-holiday brings you much needed relaxation, and no more symptoms. The pool sounds heavenly.
 
My goodness @Majic , you really have had a tough time of it. Your poor thing. I really hope that things improve for you from now on and that both your knees behave and that that awful UTI doesn't return. Have a lovely break at the hotel - sounds great - wish I was coming with you!! Take care.
 
Your get-away next week sounds wonderful! I hope you are pampered, well-rested, well-fed and treated like royalty during your entire stay.
 
Have a great break, you deserve it after all you've been through. x
 
@Clipless every urine specimen came back negative except for traces of blood, which didn't surprise the Urologist, apparently this is common after a catheter. @Raffs I am now beginning to feel better, and have put some weight on as I can now wear my wedding ring, although it nearly fell off last night when I dried my hands. I am virtually ready to go tomorrow, and am going to walk down to Church this morning, and see if I don't need the loo in the middle of the service.
 
@CATSMUM and SarahJane I am back from holiday. Had a good time though weather not too good. Hotel had long corridors and I walked down them a lot without any sticks. Only in the morning though. I have lost so much weight and muscle that my leg muscles wouldn't hold me up by mid afternoon. There was lots of entertainment in the day and evening, although we gave the evening entertainment a miss as there is lots of ballroom dancing and as I am not yet cleared to dance again it was very sad to sit there and watch everyone else. I did a lot of dancing on my first TKR, so am hoping to get back soon, although being so weak is going to be a problem for som time. I am now off all codeine and just on paracetamol and naproxen. @Raffs are you back at work yet or do you start this week? I have lost track of everone
 
Good to hear that you had a good time away. Takes quite a time me to get those muscles back, mine still are weak. I take naproxen periodically now. Fingers crossed that you'll soon be back to dancing soon.
 
@CATSMUM Are you still on paracetamol ? I have no idea how long I shall need painkillers for, as with my first knee I never got off them because of my second knee being so painful. Strangely, my first knee is now more painful than my knew one. Has anyone any idea why this could be. I shall ask my Physio tomorrow.
 
I am still on paracetamol. Think many of us are still taking painkillers even a good few months after the op. I have been on them, like you, for quite a time. I was told my left knee was hurting more as it was taking more strain whilst the right one was recovering.
 
I'll agree with CATSMUM that your first TKR knee is just complaining about taking on more work. Mine has done the same thing a few times, and it's a year old! Your surgeon has to "clear" you for every new activity? There's a different attitude here in the states, or maybe it's just me- I do whatever I want, and when I feel ready. However, with your additional issues of UTI and muscle weakness abundant caution makes sense.
 
@CATSMUM and @Clipless I saw my Physio yesterday and she has discharged me. She was very pleased with how things are going. I told her about my left leg and the pains I am having. She watched me walk without sticks, and said she could see I was putting more pressure on that leg. She gave me ideas on how to even up my walking, and told me to transfer my stick to my right hand when out with just one stick. Today I did that and walked to the hairdresser with just one stick, and after a fairly busy day my left shin doesn't hurt at all!!!
How are you both sleeping? I wake up time and again in the night, so am very sleepy in the day. Consequently tiredness is playing havoc with my epilepsy which was triggered by strong antibiotics, after years with virtually no trouble. I do need to get some good nights soon. Any advice you can give?
 
Consequently tiredness is playing havoc with my epilepsy which was triggered by strong antibiotics, after years with virtually no trouble. I do need to get some good nights soon. Any advice you can give?
Since the lack of sleep is adversely affecting your epilepsy, maybe your doctor will prescribe a short course of sleeping meds? It seems like a valid reason to try them.
 
Thanks for thinking of me @Celle I am afraid sleeping pills are a no go with my epilepsy medication, some of which is dual purpose, and given to help people sleep, and all of which makes me drowsy.
 
Oh well, it was worth a try!
Does your GP know about your increased epilepsy? Does he/she have any suggestions?
I think it's a problem that needs some medical input - of course, you're probably having that already.

Meanwhile, sleep when and where you can. Even little naps increase your total sleep time.
 
@Celle Thanks for that, I have in fact been back to my Neurologist, who has suggested which of my drugs I could safely increase if needed, although it hasn't helped a great deal. Otherwise he said lack of sleep, drugs, an infection, and lack of appetite were all factors which affect epilepsy, and I have had them all at the same time. He said it is just a matter of time for everything to settle back to normal.

I am still lacking sleep, but am off codeine, the infection seems to be under control, and I am eating again, though I have lost a stone in weight! The Physio signed me off this week, as did the Urologist yesterday, although I have another 8 weeks of antibiotics to take! I don't suppose antibiotics do me me a lot of good epilepsy wise, but I can't risk coming off them too soon.

I seem to be on the right track, although the application form for a driving licence which I had collected before my operation can now go in the bin. Very disappointing, as my Neurologist was convinced I was well enough controlled to drive, but not any more.

How are you, are you completely pain free? At the moment I find it hard to believe that I ever will be, as my Left is hurting almost as much as the right, even though it is a year old, and was virtually pain free in May before I fainted and pulled two muscles in it. It ŵill be X-Rayed in two weeks when I have my check up on my Right. I am hoping OS will say I can go back dancing then, he did with the left. Hubby and I are desperate to get back to our ballroom dancing, although I know some of the more strenuous Latin dances will be banned at first, but I should be able to do the Rumba with care.
 
Hi Jackie,
I'm feeling good thank you.
Both my knees (almost 4 years old and 14 months old) are doing well. I do still get the occasional niggle from them, but nothing like the pain I had before the replacements, and they still get stiff if I sit or lied for too long in one position. I gladly accept those little inconveniences (for that's all they are, really) as they are so much better than the pr-op grinding pain, or the pain of early recovery.
I tell myself that the knees are entitled to moan a bit, because they have big, metal foreign bodies in them. Most of the time, I don't think of them at all.

I o sympathise with you about the bladder infections. I've had recurrent urinary tract infections and they're no fun at all!

I'm glad your UTI is under control at the moment and you're starting to eat again. Long may this continue!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom