Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
ByGosh That is wonderful 5 weeks post op and doing that much. I hope my progress goes just a well counting down the days now 2 days and some hours. Don't know the time yet for Thursday morning.
 
Good grief ByGosh you are quite the specialist-hopper, arent' you? I'm glad the toe is improving, and yipppeeeee the pool!!!!! Thanks for checking in-- we have lots of new limericks for you to giggle at when you get a chance :)
 
ByGosh wow what a week and one I'm sure you wouldn't want to repeat!!! At least it took your mind off the hips maybe? I'm glad it all turned out to be nothing serious and that it's settling down on it's own but it wasn't something you could just ignore was it!! I'm doing fine thanks, I've posted all my latest updates on my thread so pop over and catch up when you've a minute, it'd be nice to see you. Good to hear you and your hips are doing ok though :flwrysmile:
 
Hello there, I've been waiting to see if things resolve, but they aren't, so I'm looking for some feedback and "a little help from my friends." :)

I seemed to be doing pretty well post op, (BTHR Mar.4). I felt that I had the usual amount of post op pain, etc. and by week 4 felt pretty good. I had full mobility, good gait, and good balance when walking. Pain was much less and my extreme fatigue had lessened, too. I had multiple MD appointments during week 4-5 post op due to a swollen red toe that turned out to be nothing serious, so I was running around here and there for that.

By the end of the week, I was exhausted. Rested as much as I could over the weekend. I also began increasing my activity around week 4 as I felt I could tolerate more - doing light housework, taking the dogs up the block a little (not far), going to the pool and paddling around awhile (incisions were healed and OS gave permission.) Also still having PT 3 times a week. (He's very gentle, doesn't push me, always tells me to stop if I feel pain or fatigue.)

Well, I started with left groin pain last Sat. and it's persisting. I've been icing, and cut back on my activity today, thinking that I was most likely doing too much too soon. The left groin hadn't bothered me before this, only post op it was very stiff, tight, heavy and sore. (Both groins were.) It's not really stiff and tight now, this is a burning pain, much like pre-op.

A complicating factor is that my rheumatologist got the pathology report from the surgery which said that I had severe synovitis along with degenerative joint disease (OA). He's questioning whether I have rheumatoid arthritis as well as OA, non-serologic, especially since my hips failed very quickly, within a year, and the synovitis is part of rheumatoid. So I'm wondering if this is overuse pain, or is the synovium still there and causing inflammation and pain?

Josephine or any other moderators, Do you have experience with RA being the reason for hip replacements, and can you tell me if they remove the synovium that lines the hip joints when they do the BTHR?

I'm icing, resting, taking my pain meds, my anti-inflammatory, and trying to see if this gets better. Any other suggestions? Anyone else experience a similar thing 4-5-6 weeks from surgery as activity increases?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much.
 
So I'm wondering if this is overuse pain
What ever gave you that idea? :skep: I just read through your thread and jeepers, you must be one of those A type personalities that wants everything done yesterday, yes? Slow down a little - no, nix that; slow down a LOT!
Do you have experience with RA being the reason for hip replacements, and can you tell me if they remove the synovium that lines the hip joints when they do the BTHR?
I've never known a synovectomy be performed on a hip joint for any reason or under any circumstances. Knees and fingers sometimes in the olden days but not these days because there are medications to deal with problems arising.

I also noted that no-one had given you the hip recovery articles which contain advice about activity progress and energy drain which you would appear to need :wink:

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

(by the way, I shall be clearing all the game posts out of this thread and moving them into the Social Room)
 
Thanks for the articles, advice and information @ Josephine. I appreciate it! And as of now, I'm officially changing to Type B and slowing down. :)
 
Consider yourself told off ByGosh!! :wink: We often try to do more than we should and then wonder why we have a problem! I had a bit of groin pain in my operated hip yesterday and was worried but after reading yours and Josephine comments I thought back and realised I'd done quite a lot more exercises, so today I'm taking it a bit easier and guess what no pain!! I hope your toe settles down soon!! I'm hoping to stroll down to the pub tonight if the rain here ever stops!! :martini: x
 
Littlejem Hello, dear. Yes, that pain has a way of showing up whenever we start to have a little "fun", doesn't it? Let's hope it's nothing. Have a nice time at the pub, and a drink for me, too! How far is the pub from your house? I think it's terrific that you can walk to a local establishment for a bit of socializing and some refreshment. Enjoy! It's also raining here in my neck of the woods, too.
Oh, yes, that pesky toe looks nearly normal - big false alarm, thank goodness, and lots of time and legwork. If I wasn't just post op hip replacements, I would've waited a week or two. But I didn't want to take any chances with an infection, or worse. I'm relieved it's resolving, that's for sure! Thanks for asking.:)

zauberflöte Yes, the RA question....so worrisome to me. I can't quite face it now. The Rheumatologist mentioned starting on methatrexate. I'm so scared and reluctant, but know if that's what I have to do, then that's what I have to do. I just need to get over these hips a little bit more first, before I take on a whole 'nother issue. I'll see how I do in the upcoming weeks, and keep my fingers crossed!
And you're having your surgery in about 5 weeks, right? How're you doing? You are so upbeat and funny and responding to everyone's post - sort of like our BoneSmart mascot, or something! LOL Where do you find the time to keep up with all of us? It's great. You're a real pleasure. :SUNsmile:
 
ByGosh , yeah, wait a bit on the RA. it's not going anywhere, sadly :sad:
Where do i find time? I steal it! I have become truly addicted to this site, and spend breakfast, lunch, and dinner(when hubby is away) at the computer, and sometimes carry the laptop into the kitchen as we do on our eagle chat. So at some point I have to step up and realize that i do actually have a problem, and have to wait till May to be so participatory. But you point out something interesting for me-- the "upbeat"ness. I believe I'm practising for when I need it. I'm not so upbeat IRL, I'm the "realist" in the family. I learned it here, and I hope to practise it enough that i can actually do it to myself when I need it :) :)
A 61 yr old mascot??? :rotfl: (but you make me feel good with your comments :) )
 
zauberflöte we're both 61 - never too old to be a mascot, I always say! We're not talking Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders here! Have you ever seen Yale's mascot, "Handsome Dan" ? Google him, but don't get mad at me! LOL
 
The pub is only about a third of a mile each way so not too far and we walk Henry down there for our regular meeting on a Friday with friends and my youngest daughter. It's a really busy little place though and sometimes it can be tricky to find a seat! I'm sorry the RA issue has raised it's ugly head, as you say you need your hips to be feeling better before you go there. I'm not that far behind you in the age stakes I'm 61 this year too! We're not old just well aged and matured!! :heehee:
 
ByGosh... What a trooper you are, posting away on other members threads... That is the caring nurse in you :)

But how about an update from you... I am following your journey :)

Hugs to you and thanks for all the encouragement you are passing on :)
 
How are you ByGosh is that toe all better and what about the other issue that we're not talking about? xx :whistle:
 
Hello @ Poppet and @ Littlejem Thank you both for asking about me. And Poppet, thanks for your nice comments. :)
I haven't been posting much about myself because not much has changed. I had alot of MD appts. week 4 to 5, and too much activity that week and the next. Now I'm having this nagging pain in my groin which is troubling to me. I'm just trying to take it easy and hope it resolves. My spirits are ok, though. I'm trying to take it all in stride and not get too worried about it. I see the OS next week, so we'll see what is recommended. Otherwise, it's ice, periods of rest, and trying to keep myself from doing too much!
Littlejem, I'm waiting a little bit before I pursue the RA question. But how are you doing? I'll have to pop over to your thread and catch up! I'll bet Henry loves to walks to the pub, though. :puppysmooze:
 
Yes Henry loves his walks to the pub but I think mostly because he gets pigs ears and other lovely doggie treats!! He also get loads of cuddles from the other customers , he's such a friendly dog. :puppysmooze: I too have been having a little groin pain in the operated side, I'd put it down to the fact that i'm exercising it, well I hope it's just that but maybe I'll mention it at my hydro pool appt tomorrow. Went into work for a few hours and that went well, it felt good just to be able to drive there!! :) Take care x
 
ByGosh I am taking one a week oral methotrexate as part of my chemo regimen. I had heard it was helpful with arthritis as well. I wonder how it is taken for RA. I take about 25mg a week.
 
smrt2run Thank you for that info! I've wanted to ask about that, but felt shy.....(aw gee) Didn't want to be too nosey. But anyhow -- how long are you on it for? Please let me know if you have any side effects. Were you on it previously and during surgery? And it's only once a week dosing?
The Rheumatologist mentioned putting me on methotrexate, but I'm holding off a bit just now. He wasn't pushing it and I'm not quite ready.
But how are you doing? I overdid it and am now having some pain again. I believe it's that, but of course, the rheumatoid arthritis question is nagging me. I'll have to let this play out a little, and see what happens. Trying to go slow and take it easy again, like I did in the beginning. But I feel better energy-wise, so it's hard.
Are you off of the hip precautions now? How's the sleeping?
 
Littlejem Henry is one lucky dog! They don't allow pets in public places in the USA. He not only gets into the pub, he gets food and he gets petted too! It's no wonder he looks forward to going. He's having more fun than I am at this point! LOL

Glad you're driving and was able to go to work. Let me know what the physio says tomorrow at the hydro appt. Do you do into a pool? Lovely, isn't it?
 
ByGosh Oh it's no problem asking, glad to be of help. I'll be on it until October and I'm only taking it once a week. I think it's a really high dose though. I had stopped two weeks post-surgery but am back on it now.

I haven't really noticed any problems with them though really. My mom had hoped it would help me but it really didn't help with any pain I had. I'm finally off the precautions now. I have never been a great sleeper but I'm back to my normal routine. It's strange though because your told to not do all of these things and the end result is anti-climactic. One day is a list of things, the next your free to do what you want.

It really is easy to overdo it though I realize. Especially when you start to feel well. So much energy but nothing to do right? I'm watching Anthony Hopkins Hitchcock. Now I want to see Psycho again.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom