Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
ByGosh

ByGosh

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Littlejem Thanks for the encouragment on the TENS machine. It's a bit of a hassle, but I'll just have to set my mind on pursuing it, as I've heard a lot of good things about the benefit, and I do need help with this pain. I'm afraid that although the Prednisone is helping for now, but once I'm through taking it, the pain will come back. I don't mean to be negative, but like Kim22 said, whenever there's a glimmer of hope, it seems to get ruined by the same old thing happening again. I'm glad that the TENS worked for you. If you bought it, you must still have it. Do you ever use it anymore? I believe TennisNut used it for her post op pain, too, is that true, TennisNut ?

Kim22 I think it's terrific that you can do the stationary bike for 5 mins. I don't think that my groins would allow me to do it - I think it would be too painful. I don't even dare kick my legs when I go to the pool, because the movements aggravate the groin inflammation. I just paddle with my arms, and keep my legs pretty still with a buoy to have them float along. But I do manage to go to the pool most days, and it feels wonderful to be exercising! I walk around in the water a little 5 mins. and do a few easy exercises. Nothing too aggressive. The Prednisone has reduced the pain, so I can do a little more now, but it's still there, so I'm leary of doing too much.
I'm glad that your groin feels better. Maybe it just needs time to get better, like they say.
My worst side is my left, which was the worst hip pre-op, and the one that was most sore afterwards, where the incision looked a little more angry. There was a lot more stiffness there post-op, it still has an area of swelling, so I feel he worked harder on it during surgery, or something. That's the groin that's the worst, too and the one that started hurting first.
I just want it to go away.. I'm invited to an end of the school year get together with the other school nurses from my current job, and then another luncheon with the previous nurses that I worked with a few years ago. So two events next week, that I really want to go to! I hope the Pred is still working then, so I can be able to go. It would be so nice to see these girls again. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Poppet

Nutritional Advisor
Country
Australia Australia
ByGosh, walking in the water is the best for you right now, you are getting all the water resistant benefits needed, there will be plenty of time for aqua exercising. Reading your thread, indicates to me that you need to take the gentler approach to your recovery exercise regime and you know what... That is right for you.. It is your recovery journey honey, remember that :)

Peaches

graduate
Country
Hi, ByGosh ... I'm glad you are at least getting some temporary relief from the Pred, and that you are able to get in the water and do something. I know that must raise your spirits at least, because like you said you feel you are exercising. Also, isn't there something about how being in the water is in and of itself therapeutic? I believe that.
You will get to go to your luncheons, won't you? Are you concerned about sitting for too long? Maybe we can put our collective BoneSmart heads together to think of things that you can do to keep the pain at bay as much as possible. I would hate for you to miss these events!

OP
OP
ByGosh

ByGosh

post-grad
Country
Thanks Peaches I'd hate to miss the luncheons, too. Yes, sitting can hurt, standing can hurt, walking can hurt - when I hurt, the only comfortable position is laying down. But I'm hopeful that I'll be feeling ok next week, too, and then I'll be able to go. I'll have an easy day before I go, and ice on the way, maybe that'll do it.

Kylesh

Country
ByGosh - I would cross my fingers for you to attend the luncheons but then I could type and well you have read some of my post and know that I have difficulties with all 10 digits in the proper keyboard position and since I cant cross my legs, I guess I will just have to send positive thoughts. :whistle:

OP
OP
ByGosh

ByGosh

post-grad
Country
Thanks ladies Kylesh and sqwerlie !! How are you both doing? And you, sqwerlie, only a few days post-op, telling me I've had a hard time! I'm sorry I haven't gone over to visit your thread yet! I'm going right now before I get distracted by some thing or other.
But first - Kylesh Is Monday, June 29th the day that you can get into your kayak and go for a ride? I seem to remember that from your thread, last time you visited the OS he gave you that date. Am I right? If so, you must be so excited! I was thinking of that today, and picturing trying to get into a kayak, and it would be hard to sit down that low - I mean it's all the way down - like on the floor! Can you do it? I hope you can! I hope you do! And if you do, you have to tell me all about it. And if you don't - well, you'll do it soon, I know! :)

LeeApril26

post-grad
Country
ByGosh. Do you have any of the instant ice packs that are often found in sports kits? It's some kind of chemical that doesn't get cold until you squish or stretch the pack. You could put a couple in your bag and discreetly ice at the luncheons if you need to. I have gotten them at CVS.

Kim22

supremo
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi ByGosh I really hope that you make it for the 2 lunches with your colleagues and ex colleagues next week as it would be lovely to catch up with your friends which is great therapy .I see you are a School Nurse does that mean you are the nurse for the students in a given school In the Uk School Nurses are attached to a number of schools and their roll is mainly in public health and safeguarding children.I was a Health Visitor before I retired and the roll involves visiting and supporting families with children from the antenatal period until the child enters school when the School Nurse takes over.
I hope you continue to see some progress and I am so happy that you are able to enjoy the pool.Walking in the water should build up the strength in your hips.

TennisNut

Country
Hi ByGosh, I wish I lived close to you, I would've come over and set you up with my TENS machine! Yes, I've used it post op as well, my thighs scream at me at night and my low back groans at me. I tend to keep both quiet by zapping the moaners! I am looking forward to getting into the pool, I have not been cleared for swimming yet as I have a persistent little scab at the edge of my incision.... Every night I try to nudge it along... Soon :whistle:

OP
OP
ByGosh

ByGosh

post-grad
Country
Kim22 Thank you, Kim for your well-wishes. It would be good therapy to see my nursing colleagues again. I haven't seen 1 group since Christmas, and the others, not in a few years.
I am a school nurse for 1 school right now. In the past I've had to cover several different schools. I prefer just one, as it's easier to keep things organized and take better care of the students if I don't have to travel about.
You're Health Visitor job sounds like a very good service to provide to families. I could see becoming attached to the children, especially if you visited them from before birth until school age. There's a lot of growth that goes on during that time, and it would be fun to see them go through all of the stages.
The pool is wonderful. I look forward to it, and if I couldn't go, I think I would be much more discouraged. It brightens my mood, and gets me out of the house. It's the one activity I make sure I have the time for. I walk in the water several different ways - frontwards, backwards, sideways, I do a few easy leg exercises - like pointing my toes, and then I paddle about some. I feel so much better after I'm finished! Do you still go to the pool, Kim? And how are you feeling now? Has your tendonitis gotten better, and are you able to take walks every day? I don't do much walking - it still causes pain, so I just do a little bit for now. I hope that changes and I improve enough to walk more. I miss it.

LeeApril26 I do happen to have some of those ice packs around. They're very handy, and it's a good idea to bring one with me! Thanks for thinking of it. :)

TennisNut It would be wonderful if you lived close-by and I could get hooked up to the TENS! I really feel that it would helpful for me. I'll have to put some more time into trying to get one. It's just a matter of finding a provider who would evaluate me and order it. We don't have many right in my area, but I'm going to keep looking.
Before you know it, you'll be in the pool. It is better to wait until the incision is completely healed, as you don't want any bacteria to get there. I'll bet it's all clear within a week. Then you can splash around to your heart's content!

OP
OP
ByGosh

ByGosh

post-grad
Country
alexthecat or Poppet Well, the jury's in on changing the name of my thread. It seems to be a good idea and the preferred name by those that have been polled far and wide is......ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral
Would one of you nice ladies be able to kindly change the title? Thank you so much. I appreciate it! :)

Kim22

supremo
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi ByGosh I love your new title so well done Poppet
I only manage the pool once a week but increasing the bike to 3 times a week I am now up to 6 minutes.When I first started I only did one minute and monitored the effects over a few days and it didn't seem to irritate the groin at all.The OS was very happy for me to use the stationary bike so that's why I am doing it.I did too much swimming on one occasion,half with the float and half without so I only do 2 lengths with the float and 2 without I do a little walking too but have stopped the exercises as advised by the OS.I spend most of the time relaxing in the sauna, steam room and jacuzzi which is very relaxing.

I had a large case load in a deprived area so was kept busy with a few families with problems Most of the children and their mums were just seen for their child health and development reviews or in the clinic I trained as a HV in 1995 before that I worked as a RGN in hospital.

We can buy TENs machines at a reasonable cost in Boots the Chemist My sister in law got one and it was very useful.Take care, have a good weekend and lots of healing thoughts coming to over the pond.

Kylesh

Country
@ByGosh

Love the new title, as someone said a new name for a new phase in your recovery. I am glad that you are enjoying the pool and pray that someone gives you some answers/relief soon on the groin pain.

One week from today is my kayak trip, I am excited and a bit afraid at the same time. I am going as part of a group and while this is a bonus for having extra help to move around the kayak, I am worried that I will ruin it for everyone if it becomes too much. We are friends with the led guide (Garry) and he knows about my hip, so he strategically put in a few extra sandbar stops so I can stretch. :whistle: He has also offered to trade kayaks with me if I need it but mine is a sit on versus sit in, so I think that might be better.

I told both my dear hubby and Garry that nothing can happen to me on the trip because I have to go back to the OS the following Monday and I don’t want him to regret his decision to allow me go. :beg:

I have spend most of my money on co-pays, so I cant afford to pay the thread hijacking fines, so I will post an update on my thread sometime today. Right now, I need to get in a quick walk, well quick for me these days before it gets too hot outside to think. :ok:

Your virtual friend and outdoor tour guide……

Status
Not open for further replies.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Disney Mom
Recent bookmarks