Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
ByGosh. Yep, stim is like a TENS machine. I bought one from Amazon when the hip pain started. It mostly distracts from pain, In my experience. The PT says it stimulates healing.
 
r "By Gosh, By Golly, Bionic!"

ByGosh I vote for this too, although BG,BG, BiLat is great too.

I think that is TENS you have there-- when I'd have it, they made sure it only went to the 'tingle" point, and gave me the control in case it got too much, so I could dial it back.
I'm going to bed earlier tonight and pooping out on yall right now, will try to catch up tomorrow. Hubby's over there working going O cr@p O cr@p O cr@p. I daren't ask........better I should go to bed :)
 
zauberflöte Good night sleep tight don't let the bedbugs from the library book I got today bite! (Yuck, I just creeped myself out.)



Oh, and thanks for your vote on the new title. Funny that alexthecat should mention that I needed a new title for my thread, I've been thinking the same thing for weeks now. I just needed a little nudge...
 
LeeApril26 Did the TENS work at all for you, and would you recommend it? Did you try it for post-op pain? I didn't find it effective for me at the PTs, but maybe at home it would be more adjustable to my needs. There's a portable one that you can wear most of the time. That may be helpful. I walk around with ice packs most of the time at home anyway, so why not TENS?
I know that ultrasound is supposed to promote healing, I didn't know TENS did that, too. Hmmm....do you happen to know the brand you purchased?
I am considering it, but don't want to waste money if it won't help. I'll have to see if they have a return policy.
 
ByGosh. I used it pre-op, and wore it for hours. It helped me function through the pain. I have not tried it post op. I didn't know about possible healing until the PT recently mentioned that stim brings blood to the area. I asked if a TENS did the same thing and she said yes. Have not tried it on my poor hand. The PT used the stim the first couple of times, near the incision, but not anymore once it healed. Now massages it. I will dig mine out of the closet later and let you know the brand.
 
ByGosh LeeApril26 zauberflöte
The TENS machine sounds like what my chiropractor calls the "stim machine." I've had that on and off over the years, both with the chiropractor and with PT, and it has helped. Maybe not a permament fix, (especially when one of my issues turned out to be OA in the hip!) but it has helped my issues for several days at a time.
Right, Lenora - Turmeric! I used to be active in a forum for folks with ulcerative colitis, a disease involving inflammation, and folks used to take turmeric (curcumin) capsules, add it to a lot of foods, etc. Also boswellia.
And there are lists of inflammatory foods and lists of anti-inflammatory foods (salmon comes to mind) but... easy to see how these things might help the gut, not so sure about the groins and those ever-lovin' "soft tissues"......
 
Songlady ByGosh @Zauberflote Turmeric is supposedly an ancient remedy for inflammation of any kind. OA is a form of inflammation, or so I have read. It seemed easy enough to try, so I think I will. Unless I develop an allergic reaction to it, it seems okay. I have also read about boswellia and bromelian, and I may try them as well, but want to do it one at a time, as I have lots of allergies, so every new substance is an adventure. Since I eat Indian food, I figure turmeric should be fine.
 
Hi ByGosh I just thought I would stop by to see how you are. Have you had your appointment with the new OS yet.I do he your hips are doing well and the soft tissues are improving.You had such a lovely family weekend and it was so good that you were able to enjoy that special time others your youngest daughter.
 
Yes Songlady and LeeApril26 - I've heard about curcumin/tumeric, too. I would think the capsules would be the easiest, but I'm also wondering which brand of these things to buy? Which are reputable, which really have the correct dose, etc. Any info on that which you ladies know of - brand to recommend? I think I may as well give it a go, I don't think it can hurt.
It seems that getting a TENS machine, or at least the one TennisNut recommended, is not so easy. I called the company, and I need to go to an MD or a chiropractor that has the machines, he has to evaluate me for it, then order it and get the insurance to pay, etc., etc. I don't have a chiropractor, and would be hesitant to go to one for groin pain. That's a little bit unusual, and I'm not comfortable with that. And I don't know of an MD--well there's one in Wallingford who the company gave me the name of, but he had a bad review, and a malpractice suit against him - so I'm not going to him! How did you get your TENS machine, Lenora? I think it needs to be prescribed by a professional? Not sure.
 
ByGosh. The TENs unit I have was from Amazon, a TENS 7000 Dual Channel TENS Unit shipped by Manufacturers Direct. I think it was less than $100. Just tried to find it on Amazon and couldn't, though they do have others. Didn.t see TennisNut's post, so not sure which unit it was.
 
Doc had an image-guided thing going and injected numbing stuff and then the medication. I didn't go into that room with Mr Song, so I still have questions. Doc did not use a steroid. I thought Mr S said something like "synvisc" but later did not remember saying anything at all about whatever was used
I've had a spinal steroid injection twice by x ray guidance but mine was for the lower back. Not pleasant to have so poor Mr Songman!

Synvisic - hmm, isn't that sort of a lubricant/fluid that is used alot for knee OA?
Ha, I've also had the Synvisc injection into my knee before they found out that the main problem was my hips, needless to say it didn't do anything and it flipping hurt...........again poor Mr Songman if thats what he had!!

"By Gosh, By Golly, Bionic!"
I love this title name and BG BG bilateral is a close second!!

ByGosh So sorry you're still struggling sweetheart, sending hugs your way and hoping the nasty bursitis leaves you in peace very soon x
 
Hi Littlejem - how are you doing??? I bet you are so glad to be on this side for good! My mom has had knee injections, so, gosh, yes, I appreciate that they are not exactly comfortable. I really appreciated your story about thinking your knee was the problem when in fact it was your hip! I had thought my issue was either my knee or my back, when the culprit turned out to me my hip!
ByGosh, if I were you, I'd see if I could figure out a way to try the TENS machine before buying it......hmmm, thinking, thinking.....
 
Songlady Yes, trying it makes sense, and I did have Stim with my PT, but I wasn't in pain when he actually did it, and the effects weren't that long-lasting. The one TennisNut recommended would be paid for totally by the insurance company, it's portable, so can be worn all the time, and I'm thinking if I had my own, I could wear it when I'm actually in pain, which may be more effective. And I figure if it won't cost me anything, it's worth a try. Plus, GoshHusband could use it when he has back flare ups.

I just need to get the name of someone from the company who is reputable and would evaluate me for it, then prescribe it. The gentleman on the telephone said that the Long Wharf Pain Clinic prescribes them alot, but going to them requires a big referral process, and I have the feeling they keep you coming back. I know someone who uses them, and she has to go monthly at least. They mentioned someone in Westport --- I wonder if it's the pain clinic there? I'll have to call the company again tomorrow and get more names.

LeeApril26 the TENS unit that TennisNut has and swears by is a CMS3000. She gave me the link, and I really like it - so small, portable, easy to use. They were very pleasant on the telephone, too. I'll try to post the link for you just so you can see it. It may be that the ones without prescriptions are a different strength. That would make sense.

Hi Littlejem It's so good to hear from you! How are you doing? I'll have to visit your thread and see if you're home yet, and see how things are going. Thank you for your sweet well-wishes! Here you are fresh post-op, and you're thinking of me. You're a doll. I hope everything is going well for you.

I also thought it was my knee and my back, but it turned out to be the hips, too, just like you girls. It's amazing how the hips can throw everything else off.

Hi Kim22 How are you doing with your groin pain? I hope it's improving! I have been taking Prednisone for mine, which my OS feels is "soft tissue inflammation", and it has helped, but not 100%. Anything is better than how I was, though. We'll see how I am after this course of medication is over. He said it may return, and then I can try another dose. I'm hoping and praying that this does the trick! Just like you, I want to get on with life! I'll come and visit your thread to catch up with you.
 
LeeApril26 and anyone else who is interested: Here is the link to the TENS machine compliments of TennisNut
broken link removed: https://compliancemed.com/index.html,. Thank you, TennisNut! How are you doing? You're yet another friend whose thread I've been meaning to visit.
 
ByGosh Thanks. I will check Tennis Nut's thread-don't worry about finding the link. Hope you can find someone local to prescribe it.
 
ByGosh I'd say if you can get the tens on your insurance then your should go for it, there are so many times you will be able to use it and in so many situations. I used one on my back but it only had 2 pads on it, it was just a cheap one we bought but it really worked to take my mind off the pain when it's bad, they are really clever machines.
 
Hi ByGosh I am so glad that the prednisone is helping you and hopefully things will begin to settle down and you can get on with your life.Whilst I am still not out of the woods I do think my groin area is improving but I am reluctant to say that because whenever I have been positive in the past it has come back to bite me on the backside I am able to take short walks on the flat and have worked myself up to 5 whole minutes on a stationary bike. Having said that I am a little concerned about my left knee which is sore from time to time and feels unstable I am wearing a knee support and taking care when I change direction .Its one thing after another but the operated leg is feeling stronger.Do you have one side better than the other or are they about the same ?

We are enjoying mid summer here with sunshine and very long days but making the most of it ( we are by the sea at our holiday caravan) as the weather is due to change this evening.
 
Kim22 I hope you get some more good weather but you're right, it's not promising to stay good is it? It's quite cloudy here albeit dry and warm but I guess the rain is on it's way! Like you say it's seems to be one thing after the other, so I'm really hoping for your sake that all the aches and pains clear up for you and your recovery can be complete very, very soon!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom