Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
ByGosh and Peaches. Oh, it is freezing in NYC today. It was 48 degrees last night and monsooning. Now just cold and damp. Ugh. We have tickets to Vanya, etc. for June 20th-purchased at half-price pre surgery. My goal is to get there, which of course involves the subway. Hopefully the restrictions will be lifted or I won't be very popular in a Broadway theater sitting on a bunch of pillow-worse than sitting behind a lady with a big hat! Stay warm.
 
Kim22 Thanks so much for your nice message. :) I'm still hanging in here, keeping my hopes up. I don't believe anything is seriously wrong, as the groins can feel better one day, then with activity, hurt the next day. I think if it were the implants, it would hurt all of the time. So I'm hoping it is soft tissue inflammation/tendonitis and the OS can tell me for sure.
I'm icing, trying heat at times, and using the Arnica and massage, too. Although I wasn't shown the massage for the groin, and am not sure I'm doing it correctly there. I trying to do what you instructed, though. It has helped tender thigh muscles, but those weren't a problem, only if I touched them.
I haven't walked much, I'm afraid of causing more inflammation. But I feel that I should walk before the muscles weaken too much. I'm glad that you mentioned what your PT said to do which included walking. I've stopped PT, at least for now. He wasn't helping me anymore and until I get some direction from the OS, it didn't make sense to continue right now. But I will start walking more on my own.
I'm so glad you saw the beautiful bluebells. It must've been so pretty. I love the natural flowers that come out in the springtime. Going for walks was one of my favorite things before the OA started last year.
Yes, Connecticut is on the East Coast. We're 90 miles from New York City, along the shoreline.
I hope you continue to improve. It's too bad a walk can aggravate things. It's hard to know just how much is too much, isn't it. Take care, so glad you kept in touch.:friends:
 
LeeApril26 My son and I just drove in the car and the temp was 49! Cold. My poor hubby is trudging around the city, and he caught a cold. He saw Sonya, Vonya, Masha and Spike last night and loved it. I posted that on Peaches thread. Today is Pippin or Matilda, I forgot which. His brother's a huge broadway fan.
Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend. There are parades here in Conn., hope it clears up for our local one on Monday!
 
ByGosh I sure hope that OS can give you some answers! :) I think of you often-- and I sure know what you mean by saying that helping others makes us ourselves feel better :)
"The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley," from Rrrrobe't Burrrrns' poem "To a Mouse" (Google is my friend...:yes: ) I'll bet Audball had to learn it when she was 10!
There. Don't you feel better now that's cleared up?:rotfl:
Take a look at this book
[Bonesmart.org] ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral
found this image on Amazon
Trigger point massage feels SO good, and I think it's what you're doing. My before-Christmas PT did myofascial release pretty much the same way, and it worked. My own problem is that I can destroy my hands fixing my legs LOL.
You know you are always in my thoughts! :) :):friends: :flwrysmile:
 
zauberflöte How sweet you are! But you poor thing, to be plagued by thoughts of me.:rotfl:
I also googled the poem, and actually tried to read it all. Whew, heavy on the old English. But it was dear the way he sympathized with the mice, really. And thank you for the Amazon link to the book. I will read up on Trigger Point massage, as I do think that's what we may be doing around here. Although, there was a link to Acupressure massage that I'm doing on the thighs, which helps. But it's hard to knead the fist like that into the groin. Ow! :heehee:

Oh yes, now you're in the yellow kayak on the beautiful water with the sun shining on it like diamonds....... just don't make me fall in with any of your shananigans!:) But then again, I do love swimming....so as I said over on Kylesh 's thread - it's all good.....
 
Hi ByGosh, I'm glad you've had some help around, given your limited mobility with the pain. And, oh, goodness, your poor husband! Mine is an early-to-bed/early-riser also, which was developed even more in his decades as an NYC commuter. We're up to our room by 9:30, and he's up by 4:00 or so..... we're sliding a little later now that he's working from home most days.
The graduation party was fun. I ate too much! I don't know if that's why, or if it ws the stimulation of being out and with Other People, or if it just the post-op thing, but I woke at midnight and lay there until 2 am before I went back to sleep. If it hadn't been so cold, I might have staggered into my husband's nearby study to read (going downstairs, cane and all, definitely would have waked him!) but.... I just lay there and my mind went here and there, ugh. So I slept late this morning to compensate!:mcoffee:

The sun has come out here, so maybe the temps will warm up a bit......
 
Songlady I'm freezing here today. The sun is poking in and out, still feels cold. I'm sure ice on the sore spots doesn't help, either. Plus not being very active.
Yeah, my husband sounds pretty congested down in NYC, cold and windy outside, and not sleeping well. He finally pulled his mattress into the bathroom, so he could shut the door and have it dark and quiet and get some sleep! Pathetic, isn't it? His brother has been handicapped since childhood, and is very self-absorbed. My hubby feels he owes it to him to tolerate a few days of sacrifice to make him happy. My brother-in-law lived with their parents all of his life, and now they're gone, so he's basically alone in a nice retirement home in upstate NY.
I hear you about the sleeping. You may've been over-stimulated going out. I know that it's hard to break from the night time routine for me. I keep chewable Benadryl by my bed and just take one 12.5 mg if I can't sleep, or wake up in the middle of the night. (The chewables work faster) It works for me, but only lasts about 6 hours, which is ok for waking at 2am. Good thing you were able to sleep later to catch up. I'm getting better with sleeping the farther out from surgery I am. It's ok now to sleep on either side, more comfortable, and whatever the surgery and the meds did to our sleep patterns seems to have waned. So you'll get back to normal sleep, too.

I prefer the early to bed, early to rise, don't you? It seems more productive. You're husband sure had an early schedule. Better that's it's later now, more like most of the working world.
Have a good Sunday, let's hope it warms up for Memorial Day!
 
LeeApril26: That's very exciting you have the theater to look forward to; I'll betcha those blasted restrictions will be lifted by then, but if not, could you find a small (relative to a bed pillow) cushion like what goes on a sofa that you could take in a smallish shopping bag? Be sure when you go you don't have a bouffiant hairdo, with bow, a la Annette Funicello! You will be riding that subway before I do! I appreciate your trepidation, but i'll bet you'll be able to handle them by then.

ByGosh: I'm glad your hub and BIL enjoyed the play(s), but am so sorry about catching a cold. I have often thought it's harder to be a tourist in NYC than a resident; they can't just "go home"; always having to trudge around, stand in lines, etc. And yes, it's been an incredibly cold weekend. My bldg. turned on the radiator, which is kind of unheard of in late May. I hope the rest of their trip goes well.

I hope you can find some relief for your groaning groin. I hear you about the PT not doing any good. I just added up my copayments and am really seriously evaluating how much dough I can continue to scrape together to sink into more PT. I know when it works, and that it does work for some people sometimes, it's great. But it is such a game of Russian roulette, finding the right one, finding the right exercise. Does the groin pain stop you from doing cerain things, keep you inside? Or are there temporary "Band-Aids" you can do to get you through a situation? Please take care and keep us posted. You are the model of patience, and that is no small achievement.

Songlady: I'm so glad the graduation festivities were fun and you got to go and enjoy it. So sorry about the disrupted sleep, but perhaps it was indeed the stimulation from being out and about and among people and for something upbeat and fun. Maybe your mind and spirit was racing from all of the fun and it was hard to turn it off.

I posted elsewhere that I saw some doc I've never heard of on a TV show talk about sleep problems and here are two tips he said: (1) eat carbs for dinner, but not protein---he gave pasta (perhaps with veggies) as an example, but without meat or protein. He said the protein is bad for getting to sleep later. (Who knew?) (2) Mimic what some kids and some pets do: Before going to sleep, they stretch, yawn, begin to physically kind of wind down. Adults, on the other hand, tend to be on the computer, lights on, brain fired up, right up to the minute they are to go to bed. They try to just quickly jump from being up and awake to bingo going to bed and expecting to fall asleep. Not sure I buy his theories hook, line, and sinker ... but it might be worth a shot. (Not every kid I've known winds down that like, either; many of them race around with half-mast eyes, denying they are tired. I tend to be like that too, sometimes.)
 
ByGosh. Your husband is a wonderful man. And he had the worse weather for late May in NYC that I can remember. The thought of him sleeping in the bath tub makes me sad. I hope he is on his way home today.

Peaches. I wish I was in your building. We turned on our small electric heater last night. Our building is freezing. The sun doesn't appear to be warming anything yet.
Funny about the carb suggestion for sleeping. For the past thirty years diet gurus and some docs have made carbs sinful. At the same time the rate of insomnia and sleeping remedies have climbed. I wonder if there is a connection? Would love a reason to eat more pasta.
 
ByGosh! I missed your post about your poor husband sleeping in the bathtub! That's horrible. Is the hotel on a noisy street? Yes, I agree he sounds like a wonderful man to accompany his brother for this outing. It is NOT easy visiting NYC, nor cheap either. Your BIL is lucky. I'm glad at least they enjoyed the plays.
 
Hi ByGosh How are you today ? I bet your husband will be glad to get back home and back in his own bed I cannot imagine sleeping in the bath.NYC is a great place to visit with so much to see and experience but it really is so full on and noisy. Just for the record I preferred Boston which was more laid back and friendlier.
 
Peaches and Kim22 Hahaha No the poor guy isn't in the bath TUB, he's in the bathROOM. He pulled the portable bed in there, and is sleeping there where he doesn't have to stay up all night because his brother is a night owl and is up til 2am. So he can go in there, close the door, it's nice and dark and quiet, and his brother can stay out in the regular part of the room and watch TV to his hearts' content.
Yes, my husband is a saint to tolerate that for 5 days! I think when he gets back home, he'll realize I'm a bargain compared to his brother. At least I let the poor guy get his sleep!
Kim22 Yes, I agree, Boston is an easier city to get around in, it's not as crowded, people are younger on the whole, many are students, and it does seem friendlier. No offense to Peaches or @LeeApril 26, who live in New York.
 
Liveringer Thanks for coming to visit, hon. After our nice cuppa and some homemade banana bread, we'll get right to work on this! :) Okay - so at the top of my thread there is no underlined One Week Post-op Bilateral THR. What's up there is a huge heading with a green box and inside of the box it reads Bilateral THRs and outside of it in huge letters is One Week Post op Bilateral THRs - but it's not underlined. Under it in small letters it says Hip Replacement Recovery Area started by ByGosh March 1, 2013 and that's underlined.
If I copy and paste the Huge heading, it'll be huge in my signature???? I don't know. I can't quite get it.
 
Copy only what is underlined One week post op BTHR Now that you have copied the underlined message go to your signature and paste it. And it should work!

ByGosh I have done it for you. Copy what is underlined in my comment and paste it in your signature.
 
ByGosh -- Sorry for the delay in answering, all that kayak time must have warn me out. I am glad that you liked the little outing and for just a few minutes it took you away to another place.
 
Liveringer Thanks so much. You're a sweetheart to do it for me, and it works, too. It's a great idea.
Kylesh Thanks and you know that now zauberflöte has joined us with her bright yellow kayak. You did such a good job, you're getting recruits! :)
 
Whew, heavy on the old English.
Oh come on girl, you don't mean you can't tell native Scots (Scottish? Audball help which is it?) when y' hearrrr it? Somebody someplace on here was writing "school English" for us furriners and "native" for, um, natives. I loved it and wish I could remember who-- clarabo maybe? I had fun reading :)
Liveringer way to go :) ! You want to start a consulting business in the social room? LOL
Kylesh I still have the lovely "daze" your little kayaking fantasia gave me-- thanks again :)
ByGosh Your husband is a saint to outsiders, but in his family he's just another son-- I have a similar situation, and my older son is an expert in all kinds of things most kids never have to even consider! My older son may grow into sainthood, who knows? I'd love him to meet your hubby :)
Songlady I vote for the overeating, and I bet it was later in the day than you are used to. Cookies as a bedtime snack will do it to me every time. But it was worth it, yes? One more kid catapulted into the world, screaming wildly haha :)
 
Gosh, ByGosh ... I LOST you! Could not find your sunny yellow avatar anywhere! All your posts were missing! Then I realized I accidentally "ignored" you. I didn't even know one could "ignore" someone ... and why would one want to. I am fumbly fingers and forum idiotic. Worried about you for a minute, afraid you'd left. Now I'm just worried about how stupid I am.

How are you ...and the dreaded groin(s) pain?

Your hub must be so happy to be home. I hope he wasn't caught in the rain the entire time he was in NYC.

Not offended at all ... I'm sure Boston is friendlier. But if it has a younger population, I would not like that as young people like to ride bikes and skates (see my WHEEL rant on my thread) and I would not like that. Right now I am just hoping for the day I can even visit Boston again and walk around. SEems far in the future, but will just focus now on TODAY. As I'm sure you do, too. I read your entire thread and was at first awestruck by how similarly you and I have been or felt. But then with a jolt kept reminding myself YOU HAVE HAD TWO SIMULTANEOUS SURGERIES. So I really have to hand it to you for strength and guts and good cheer. Thank you for your support, too. Hope today goes well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom