Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ByGosh

Just read your thread, you were brave to have both hips at the same time. Not sure if you've tried using a topical ointment, when I was having constant groin pain before my recent surgery I used "tiger balm", it didn't get rid of it but did help a lot. Might be worth trying. Hope whatever is causing the groin pain lets up for you soon.
 
special lady[/USER] Thanks for visiting my thread! My daughter swears by tiger balm. Maybe I can snitch some from her and give it a try. :angel: I used it alittle pre-op on my knee, but the smell got to me. She has a newer one with a better smell, I think. I've also heard that Arnica cream is good for inflammation and healing. I'll give that a try, too. I've been icing and heating and massaging and resting. Today was a little better, but that's happened before, only to get worse again if I do anything. So guess what? I'm not going to do anything until it feels really good for quite awhile. By that I mean quick errands, or a short dog walk up the block. Those are the things that would set me back again. I guess I'd do them before it healed enough, and I'd inflame it again. Weight bearing and flexion bothers it.

Having both hips done at the same time wasn't bravery. I didn't know any better. They both needed doing, the left more than the right, and I was told to do them both at the same time. I didn't even know that people did one at a time, waited a couple of months, then had the other one done. If I had known, I really think I would've done them separately. This was way too much for me. I was really weak and sick post-op for a few weeks from the blood loss, and it was so hard and painful to get around, and now this.... It's really dragging on and on it seems... But I'm hopeful that it'll improve!

I hope you're doing well special lady[/USER] - You've had your share of things, haven't you? You're still not able to bear weight yet, are you? I don't remember exactly when you had this most recent surgery. Your signature says 2011, but that's not your newest. I'll pop over to your thread tomorrow and take a peak at your progress. Take care special lady[/USER], and thanks for checking in with me! :)
 
Liveringer I didn't know that you were a tennis player. You must be very fit generally which will see you through to recovery. I have noticed how well athletes do on this site Earlier on there was an ice skater who was determined to get back to the ice rink and she did very well. Lots of luck for tomorrow
 
Kim22 Hey Kim I'm definately not a tennis player, however I am a horseshoe player. That is where Liveringer comes from.
 
Liveringer Hi Karen I misunderstood the conversation about singles and doubles LOL I am not familiar with horseshoes You are playing at a high level by the sound of it .
 
Kim22 Not as high of a level I would like to be. Before surgery my national stats is about 64% ringers which is 6 or 7 ringers out of every 10 shoes. I love that through horseshoes I have met and became friends with so many people across the US & Canada.
 
ByGosh

I don't blame you a bit for regretting not having the time between your two replacements...I suppose the good part of not such a good thing to do (2 thr' s at one time) is its kind of like having twins when you haven't had any children prior, you go with the flow because you know no different. I had twins, and when people would ask how I could possibly manage, my answer was always I know no different.

I agree about the scent of tiger balm, there are three different ones...two in tiny glass jars, one in a tube that says it's "Neck and Shoulder Rub. I have and replenish all three weekly, (I should buy stock in this product) the Orange color has almost a cinnamon scent, and the neck shoulder rub is like a lotion instead of a balm...I use the neck and Shoulder Rub more so then the tiny jars on my muscles in my thigh & knee now...it helps so the minty smell is worth the relief.

I don't have the dates of my six surgeries in my signature because of pending litigation...I'll be 5 weeks post op Thursday. I'm still partial weight bearing, in a brace 24 hours a day, and not allowed to do anything but recline or lay in bed. It stinks because I do get bored, but it is a small price to pay for what hopefully will be a successful revision. Like you I'm very much looking forward to putting it all behind me. :flwrysmile:
 
Oh yes special lady[/USER], I agree. That sounds just like where all of this should be put -- behind us --far, far behind us!:)

Thanks for visiting my post octopus. And thanks for your well wishes, too. :flwrysmile:
 
It all does take patience, doesn't it?! I was completely shocked the first time by how much the surgery itself hurt and what it took to recover. So mentally I was more prepared this time..... but I am getting impatient anyway.
ByGosh, I have a friend whose husband had both knees done at once because he said he knew himself well enough to know he wouldn't ever go back for the second one, if he did just one the first time..... but it was tough. I can't begin to imagine. Hang in there! You see your OS in what, another week now? Maybe he can give you some reassurance about what you've been experiencing and how to proceed.
As for me, having done this twice... my flip statement is that I'm kinda glad I don't have three hips.....
 
Hi ByGosh! Just wanted to pop over and catch up with you. I'm sorry you are still having the groin pain and I know it must be very frustrating for you. Hopefully your OS can get it cleared up for you on your next visit. Is the Prednisone he is suggesting the same as a cortisone injection? You were very brave to get both hips done at the same time. I do hope your OS can find the issue and get it resolved.
So glad you got to help your daughter get a dress for prom! I would have never thought to look online for a prom dress! I bet she was beautiful! I see my cousin's children all dolled up and they look so glamorous and mature for their age. Very smart of her about who to take as her date to the prom! You taught her well!
 
Hello Everyone Just an update: It was 11 weeks yesterday since I had both of my hips replaced. I've been suffering with groin pain since about week 5, after a bad week of unavoidable multiple MD appoints, blood work and tests, that kept me on my feet and driving much more than I should have at that point post-op. It took me awhile to realize that this pain was not going away, and I started to really rest and ice since around 6 weeks. The pain got better a couple of different times in the past weeks, but then I would do something that required walking or driving, like an errand or two, or taking the dogs up the block, and it would return. Darn! :groan:

It was very severe about 10 days ago after running 3 errands in one day. (will I ever learn?) I realized that I needed to completely stop all activity that required either walking, weight bearing or flexion of the hips as much as possible. I did minimal activities and minimal walking around the house, and spent the better part of every day on the couch with ice, alternating at times with heat. Not much improvement... How discouraging it was! :sad:

Over this past weekend (thanks to Kim22) I began to massage with a deep kneading, an area on each upper thigh that was very tender to touch, where a muscle and a tendon (rectus femoris) attaches to a bone. Also (thanks to sandybeach, who explained it to us) I started to massage an area on either mid thigh that had some sore muscles. This area I did with the deep acupressure massage that's also described here in our forum. Well, on Sunday, I thought I had a tiny bit less groin pain. On Monday, maybe a little less pain again? Today, could it be just a little bit better? Is it really getting better? :tada: I think it might be...just a little, but enough to notice and enough so that I didn't need a pain pill by mid-afternoon. Now, that's a step in the right direction!

It's not gone, mind you, and I'm still restricting my activity alot. When I'm on my feet a little while, I can feel it again, but it's definitely improved some. I'm being very cautious because it's gotten better before, only to come back with a vengance after I do things. So I plan to not do anything that I know causes it--not for quite awhile. How long? Well, I'm going to test it out little by little. A walk down the driveway (not far) and see how it is. Then a walk up and down twice, and see how it is. Just one little thing a day, very, very little and wait and see if it causes pain. If the pain isn't worse, I'll do it again the next day, maybe a few steps further. If the pain gets worse, or doesn't keep getting a little bit better, I'll stop again, rest, ice and wait...

That's my plan to try and beat this soft tissue inflammation/tendionitis or whatever it is. Oh, I know what it is - it's pain and it has stopped my recovery dead in it's tracks. :hissy:

So this is how I'll try to get over it... Just thought I'd let you all know... :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral
These major set backs that some of us experience are tough. You've got the right attitude and you're doing all the right things. Of course, it's discouraging sometimes---stop comparing yourself to others (you know you're doing it :heehee:). You are going to get to the end of that long recovery road with a great pain free hip.

So keep that chin up and keep thinking positive thoughts.
[Bonesmart.org] ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral
 
Sounds like you are on the right track, hopefully this time it will get better & stay better!
 
Hi ByGosh I am so glad that you are seeing a little improvement and as Bottomshollow has just said you have the right attitude and are doing the right thing by being cautious. I think that both you and I have learnt a lot over the past few weeks and this will hold us in good stead for the rest of our recoveries.Give yourself a very big pat on the back x
 
ByGosh You may have nailed it! Keep up with those messages, you have a great attitude and you are getting reaquainted with your body knowing when and what you can do, at this point. And just maybe next week at the OS will get more answers to this (or maybe you are already found the answer) and he'll just confirm it.

Kim22 I hope your groin pain is getting better also.
 
Hi, ByGosh. Gosh, it sounds like you have really got a great plan in place. I'm so happy to hear you think you are seeing a wee bit less pain in that dratted groin. I just hate that groin pain. It is uniquely strange. You are dealing with a double dose of recovery, too. I think you are approaching things in a very rational way and I have my fingers crossed all of the things you are doing will give you less and less pain. Thanks for all your support as well. Please keep us posted, and take care.
 
Hello dear Peaches I was just over posting on your thread, so we're playing virtual tag here. Glad it's virtual, as I sure couldn't muster up running after you at this point!:groan:

Gosh, it sounds like you have really got a great plan in place.

Well, nice plan but what's the quote, from a famous author? " the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry?" (I just looked it up, I'm not that literary!) So today the lovely plan I had of yesterday is going awry, as I have a bit of pain again. Eh, it rained and it's gloomy and muggy out, plus I bent a little bit last night to try and cut my toenails, that must be why. One step forward, two steps back... I'm still stickin to the plan, rest, ice, wait and see. No more walking down the driveway, I guess. Not for today, anyway. And let the toenails grow!:heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom