Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Songlady Yes, that is close to New Haven! What a coincidence. One of my kids went to school in Fairfield.

I haven't gotten to read your thread yet, (I'm not good at finding peoples threads) but how are you doing? This is your second replacement, so you've been through it before. How does it compare to your first surgery? I hope it's going along smoothly for you and you're feeling better now. :)

The reason I had both of my hips done at the same time is because I was very niave about all of this and in a lot of pain.They failed quickly and were bone on bone within a year of my first symptom. I didn't really know what was happening to me, I was very healthy, active, always on the go. The pain got so bad, I didn't know how to manage it. So I took the advice of an OS whose kids went to school with mine a while back and who I knew a little bit. He told me I needed both hips done and to get them both done at the same time. I didn't even know that people would get one done and then wait awhile and do the other! So I researched surgeons, found one that a few people I knew had used, and booked the surgery. I couldn't wait to get rid of the pain!
I was totally unprepared for the post op recovery, didn't know what to expect, and had very unrealistic expectations. I thought I'd bounce back in no time. Well, just when I was starting to feel better at week 4 post-op, I had a lot of MD appts. that I felt I had to keep, so I pushed myself to go. And now here I am...It's been up and down since. I start to feel a little better, try to do some activity like a simple errand, and I'm back to square one.

So I'm trying to stay calm, not get too discouraged and take it a day at a time. It's a challenge, believe me!
 
ByGosh, the pain you're having, is it still the groin pain, soft tissue that the PT said to use heat to help? What kind of activities are you doing in a day now since the pain started? You wrote that by afternoon the pain is bad, if that's still the case and the pain is pretty good when you get up, you are over doing things on what is inflamed.

I think we all somehow have the idea that we need to get back to our normal lives within a few weeks of surgery and that's not realistic. You need to give your body time heal and stop pushing it, take time and allow the healing process to do it's thing to make you better and let your body tell you what you can do. You had both hips done together, that's a lot of trauma for you body to deal with. Now that you have some healing issues you need to get yourself a good book or some movies, sit back and let everything calm down. Then take it slowly and test your limits so you continue to heal with a lot less pain.
 
It must be really wearing to be having the groin pain you've got, have you got your appointment through yet to see the surgeon at 12 weeks? Are you doing a lot of standing/walking, I know if I push the walking I get groin pain?Although I'm back at work now full time, I sit at a desk just getting up every so often to stretch my legs and I'm still taking my pain meds and anti inflammatory meds and just doing a little physio in the evenings.
ByGosh and Liveringer you were wondering how to find someones thread -
If you click onto the picture of a person you want to read the thread of, then when the new box opens click on their picture, then click on information scroll down and you'll see threads by........(the name of the person), click there and all that persons threads will be listed. Hope that helps Janet x :puppysmooze: :friends:
 
Littlejem I had figured that out sometime ago. It is finding a particular post that was read. You can do a search at the top of the page. Put in some words ie. groin pain, if you happen to know who posted it you can enter their name. You can find a lot through the search botton.
 
ByGosh, I hope you've checked out the charts that show recovery times, and how those times are different for bilaterals. I think when you're all recovered, you'll be glad you did it all at once and don't have to go through it again - but you need to be extra patient in the meantime. What I have learned is that recovery is so much more than "x weeks have passed, pain is some better, let's get going" - as Josephine has said, stiffness is a manifestation of pain,and there's tiredness, etc - we need to be very gentle with ourselves.
I feel that this recovery is going better for me than the first one. But I really resonate with something you said - the first time, I had NO clue what I would be facing in the recovery. I was dumbfounded by the way the surgery affected not only my hip but my whole body and my emotions, and THAT was what made my first recovery more difficult. This time I was dreading recovery, so ... somehow when one fears "the worst," real life often tends to be better than that.
Especially if, as you say, you have always been on the go and active, being post-op must be a shock to you! When full recovery has taken place, I'm sure you'll find that you've done the best thing, but.... my mantra in the meantime is Patience and Go Easy.
My massage therapist had bilateral THR some years back and thinks it was the best thing ever! So, hang in there!
 
Littlejem Liveringer Thanks for the technical info on finding info and threads, ladies! Very, very helpful. :) It must be nice to be young and clever like you two! Littlejem I don't believe I'm doing alot of standing/walking, mostly around the house. I'm really trying hard not to aggravate it any more than it is. I'm glad that you can sit at your job, though. That's a big relief. And of course your body guard, Henry is there to keep you company.
sandybeach You give very sensible advice, my dear. I am limiting my activity very much and hope things will quiet down. Mostly I ice, I use heat at times (when my groins turn into ice cubes!) :shocked: And, yes, it is the same soft tissue inflammation or ileosoasis tendonitis soreness that the OS people believe I have. Thank you for your thoughts!
Songlady Thank you for your words of encouragment! You are all so sweet. I'm glad that your second hip is going well for you. Experience is a great teacher, isn't it. And patience is a must, I see that!
 
ByGosh What is ileosoasis tendonitis, Kim22 has just posted on another thread that she has hip flexor tendinitis and she is getting groin pain, I wonder if it is similar?
I wish I was young or clever, even one out of two would be good!! :heehee: I do have my bodyguard, Henry, in with me tomorrow, the guys in work complain when I don't take him!! :puppysmooze:
 
Littlejem I think it's a tendon that runs from the groin down. He hadn't examined me - his PA saw me. But he called me on the phone afterwards and we discussed things and that was his thought. Although the PA just mentioned soft tissue inflammation and the ileosoasis muscle being tight. She showed me some gentle stretches to do and said to alternate between ice and heat.
I just read what Kim said, and I imagine it's all very similiar. Mine wasn't officially diagnosed by examination, so who knows exactly what it is. I hope when I see him at 12 weeks, he can be more definite.
 
Thanks for the link to the info on iliospoas syndrome @sharonsip. I'll hopefully get a definate diagnosis when I see my OS next week.

Well, I'm nearly 11 weeks post-op and feel great physically, but am still having groin pain that began at about 5 weeks after a very busy week of MD appts that I had to keep. It was for a red and swollen toe that had everyone up in arms, which turned out to be nothing serious, and has since gotten better on it's own, thankfully.

The pain was a little on and off, but when it started to feel better and I actually did something, like a walk, or an errand, it woud come back. So I've been spending much of the past few weeks, trying to ice and rest. It's getting pretty discouraging, though I hate to admit it. My OS mentioned Prednisone at 12 weeks if it's not better. I've never taken it, and am scared of the side effects, but feel I have to do something, as this seems to be dragging on too long, and I don't know what to do to make it better. I'm trying some acupressure massage on the sore thigh muscles, and will try on the groin, too. The PT identified a tender point where he said the rectus femoris muscle inserts into the inferior iliac spine (I think that's where it goes...) I know there are tendons there, too. This area was extremely sore and very, very tight post-op. And actually the tightness just sort of turned into pain. So maybe it's a combination of many things - the surgical trauma and manipulation, the walking too much too soon, etc.

Either way, it's not been as smooth a ride as I had hoped for! I'm practicing patience very well, trying to keep my spirits up, and keep telling myself that it will get better. It may take some time and some other measures, but as Kim22 said "by this time next year...." :)

So on a positive note: My beautiful daughter had her Senior Prom last night. It was waying heavily on my mind how I would take her shopping for a prom dress. I actually did go to a local bridal store, did very minimal walking, and sat the whole time. But no luck. So out of desperation, I looked on line and got here a gorgeous gown that actually fit! She was sooooo happy and so was I! What a relief. She looked beautiful as did all of the other girls last night at the pre-prom picture taking, which I would not miss for all the pain in China! I did it, very gently, very little walking, sitting the whole time. They had glamorous, red carpet-worthy gowns. And they're all so glowing at that age! Their dates looked adorable all spiffed up in their tux's and buttonaires. Best of all, she had lots of fun. So that had a happy ending. Oh yes, her date was the Chief of Police's son. Very nice, very cute, parents lovely - and for some strange reason, I felt she was in good hands!!! :angel: But no special police helicoptor or police escort to the prom, just the usual limo-party bus that all the kids rent now-a-days. Lucky kids!
 
Sounds like she had a wonderful time and also sounds like you were a very proud mum!! :) It must cost a fortune to pay for all of this, with posh ballgowns, tux's and limos!! It's great you got to see the line up in all their finery, and police chiefs son eh, aiming high from the beginning, good girl!! :yes!:
 
Hi ByGosh What a lovely time your daughter has had today with a beautiful dress and a nice lad for her date as well as a limo for transport as well. You must have been so proud as a mum Just wait and see how you feel on her wedding day.I remember shopping with my daughter for her wedding dress, she tried so many but when she tried on the right one we were both in tears, It was very emotional. The concept of proms is relatively new over here but they have really caught on now. Its like Halloween which was not much celebrated at all when I was a child because in England we have own celebration on November the Fifth Guy Fawkes night but now Halloween is bigger.Anyway I am so glad you had a great family day as I had.
 
Thank you Kim22. It was lovely and a right of passage for her I just could not miss.
I can only imagine how wonderful and exciting and happy and emotional it will be to shop for a wedding dress! It makes my heart melt just thinking it....
 
Wow, ByGosh, what fun! I have two sons, so the dress thing doesn't seem to be in my future. My older son didn't go to his prom, but we actually bought a tux for my younger son - we found that we could buy one for not much more than the rental cost, and he was in a local orchestra at the time and needed a tux anyway. What fun memories!
So your daughter is a senior? Does she have plans for next year.....?
I hope your pain turns around soon. It is discouraging.....some warmer weather, which is due soon, always makes me feel better - I hope you find that so, also!
 
ByGosh there you are being so hilarious on my thread, when in reality you've got too much pain:sad: :console2: Wish i could do something for you...
Prom Night, ah yes.I'm so glad she had the right dress, the right date, and you got the pictures to prove it :) :) Watch out tho-- the girl my older son went to both Junior and Senior proms with, is the girl he intends to marry.
Just sayin....:whistle:
 
ByGosh there you are being so hilarious on my thread, when in reality you've got too much pain:sad: :console2: Wish i could do something for you...​
I so totally agree with Chris. I hope that your pain subsides and soon.
zauberflöte Finally, your day approaches tomorrow! I just hope we can be half the cheerleader for you as you have been for us. You are one great LADY! I will be thinking of you tomorrow and watching for your thread on the recovery side:egypdance:
 
That so stinks you're still struggling the groin pain ByGosh... :boohoo: We'll have to come up with a funny limerick for YOU to chase away the groin blues!!! Can you post the prom picts we'd love to see them! See you on 'this side' after tomorrow!!
 
SeaSiren Yeah, the groin pain is really interfering with my big plans! (i.e. recovery) Drats. But I'm keeping hopeful that it'll pass in due time...:)
I'll see if I can post something, although I'm not such a wiz at getting the pics on.
Good luck to you tomorrow. I'm so thinking of you and zauberflöte and TennisNut, our three hipster sisters!
We'll all be waiting to hear from you and be ready to cheer you on! You have our thoughts and our prayers. (I'm gettin' sentimental now, because I want to say, also our hearts....awww.)

Liveringer Good to hear from you and thank you for your well-wishes. Hope you're still sailing along smoothly in your recovery. I meant to tell you that I found it very interesting about your being a horseshoe champ. I'd like to hear more about it. You compete as a team or singely? Do you travel all over doing it, or just in NY state? You must have good arm strength for all of that throwing, as well as leg strength for the stance and the walking. When do you think you'll be able to go back to it? Great exercise, good for you!
 
ByGosh I compete in singles, we travel all over mainly in NY but do travel to NC in April (not this year), sometimes in MO., PA in end of June. If the World Tournament is on the east coast I have started entering that. Last year was Knoxville, TN. This year is in Utah. not going to far away and I won't be that kind of ready to play. I hope to back pitching by the end of June, not sure if I'll be tournament ready. I feel I have good arm and leg strength. I can't wait to pitch and see the difference in me not hurting.

Recovery is still moving right along I will post on my thread Wednesday as that is my 6 week post op appointment with the OS.:egypdance:
 
Good luck to you tomorrow. I'm so thinking of you and zauberflöte and TennisNut, our three hipster sisters! We'll all be waiting to hear from you and be ready to cheer you on! You have our thoughts and our prayers. (I'm gettin' sentimental now, because I want to say, also our hearts....awww.)

Thanks ByGosh... you're in our hearts too!! See you on the otherside soooooon.... :yay:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom