Bilateral TKR BTKR ~~ May 13, 2013 ~~ Post-Op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bev! Amazing how time flies. Last Monday, I was in surgery and today, I'm walking around (with my walker), doing exercises, and looking forward to going home. One month will pass very quickly. I know the pit of which you speak - Ugh!! After surgery, you will be just fine. I wish I had some magic words that would make you feel less apprehensive. All I can tell you is -- it will be easier than you think at this time. You have nothing to fear. Like you, I'm also grateful for this site. I truly don't know how I'd have made it through without all the support I've received here. The docs and nurses met today to discuss all their patients. Afterwards, a nurse and social worker came to me (I was in PT at the time) and were very excited to tell me that I'd be staying until Friday. I was very relieved. Of course the insurance company is the decision maker. The reports are submitted and if the criteria is met, you stay or you go. Thanks for checking in on me!!!​
:flwrysmile:​
 
Hi jimbojunk! Driving to your appointment - Amazing!!! According to everyone, we are not alone - down in the dumps goes with the territory. I notice when I get a good nights sleep, I cope with everything much better. Since Friday night, I've been given Lunesta which has been working beautifully. People come in the room throughout the night and wake me up, but I am able to go back to sleep. I've started taking one Hydrocodone with Lunesta and that works for me. At the moment I go to sleep with ice bags on my knees, the ice melts through the night but I keep them on as long as possible. Even though you are a guy, you are allowed to be emotional. If you weren't weepy, I would think there is something wrong with you. You are doing great!!!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Kneedforspeed! Congratulations on your upcoming surgery, just a few more days and you will be liberated!!! I will be happy to help in any way that I can. You can start your recovery thread before you go in to surgery, or if you're feeling up to it a few days after. You have nothing to fear. Make sure you get all the pain meds you need to keep the pain under control and the rest will be easy. You will do great! :egypdance:
 
Hi MissJ ~~ Thank you for checking in on me. I am pleasantly surprised at how well I'm doing. So sorry you had to be transfused. I hope it was okay. The team of docs and nurses are attentive, but, I've learned that you (the patient) really has to stay on top of things. One person says something, the other "interprets" it, I have been told one thing and the nurse is in the middle. Does that make any sense??? There has been some confusion here and there, but overall, I'm very pleased with the hospital and the staff. Hope you are doing well!!:friends:
 
Hello inspojo! I'm so glad all the Post-op posts have helped. You can not possibly let down the post-op side. As you know, everyone's recovery is different. We each have certain good, bad and ugly experiences. Don't push yourself to live up to any expectation. Just do what your body tells you to do. Make sure you get all the attention you need, pain meds to control your pain, sleep meds if you need them and lots of laxative :heehee: Seriously, you will do great. I'm so excited for you. New knee in the morning!!! They might let you wear the white tie and surgical gown, not sure about the tails - maybe they will give you some of those guaze unmentionables :rotfl: Just kidding, they won't! I'm wishing you luck, sending you hugs and you will be in my thoughts tomorrow. You're going to do great!!!
:friends:
 
Hi My way! I think the blues are definitely part of the recovery. You are absolutely right, I'm having some pain now, but nothing like the pain and restrictions I had to deal with before surgery. The restrictions and pain I feel now are because I have two new knees - the pain is different and I know it will gradually disappear. I would get weepy plenty of times before the surgery. The anticipation of the unknown. Don't worry about it, cry when you need to and let it go. Have you received a surgery date yet? I need to get over to your thread to get caught up. Thank you for checking in on me!
:friends:
 
Hi schipp4me! Great progress!! Congratulations! You've been doing everything just right and I know you feel wonderful. I will be leaving in-patient rehab on Friday, going home. :yay: Your ROM is fantastic. I know you are still working on your full recovery, but wow! I'm very encouraged!!!​
:flwrysmile:​
 
Hi Diana! Thanks for all your encouragement. I'm very pleased with going home on Friday. It works out perfectly for me. I would not want to be here another weekend. schipp4me is very encouraging! I'm getting Lunesta at night which is helping with the lack of sleep and that also has a big effect on my emotions. Thank you for all your support!!!
:friends:
 
Izzie, getting home in the small SUV, I think you will do much better in the front seat than the back. If the seat is leather, you won't need the bag. Recline the back of the seat pretty far back before you get in, which will give you more room getting your feet and knees in, then you can sit the seat back up to what is comfortable. You'll have more room in the front, and it could be hard to scootch yourself in and out properly in the back seat. Plus, I got a little motion sickness in the car while I was on meds, and the front seat was better for that.
 
Hello Izzie,
I just got home from work & wanted to check- in on you :friends:I am so glad you are going
home Friday :happydance:I just wanted you to know what a comfort & inspiration you are to all of us :console2:
we are all here to hold your hand, through the "good & Bad"
Have a peaceful, pain free :sleep:
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Lee, I like that the PT's came to you. That's getting very good one on one therapy. I will have to pass all the same tests, but so far, doing pretty well. Going home on a stretcher was a great thing to do. I understand completely about the car ride.

I'm not sure about the pain from use of the tourniquet yet. I have pain all through my legs, not horrible, just pain to be expected, sometimes worse than others, but I never expected this would be a pain free procedure. My muscles do ache, I think from the PT exercises. As soon as the pain starts to localize, I might be able to tell more.

As for your pain meds, is there anything stronger that your doc could prescribe. You should not be having bad pain. Ask and see if you can get something else, its very difficult to do well if you are experiencing pain.

Everyone here is telling me that walking is the best thing to do. Since you are heading into winter, this will be a challenge. Rug up and go anyway if you can. Do you have someone walking with you? Take care, hope you get some relief from these aches!

Love and hugs to you!!
:friends:
 
Janet ~ Love that profile picture!!! Thank you for the great advice. I do have leather seats, so I'll make sure the front passenger is back as far as it can go and reclined. And, I definitely don't want motion sickness - excellent point! Can't thank you enough for all your great ideas - Wonder Woman (I can hear the song in my head)!
 
Thank you, Diana. I am looking forward to progressing as much as possible over the next few days and being home by Friday evening! Your encouragement and support really mean a lot to me, thank you so much!!!
Love and hugs!
:friends:
 
Day 8 -- Post-Op
Monday ..... Hard for me to believe one week ago today, I was in surgery. Slept well last night after Lunesta and Hydrocodone. This morning, my legs felt different, better. Pain meds with breakfast. OT stood by while I showered and dressed. A brief rest before PT which, unfortunately, was quite painful. I have one therapist assigned to me, however, I don’t see her that often. The PT’s here seem to just go where they are needed. It’s frustrating because each has a little different way to do things and measure – I think I mentioned this before. Measurements today were not at all as good as yesterday. No matter, I’m doing the best I can. As so many who’ve gone through this tell us – do not compare your recovery with anyone else’s. We are all different in many ways. I’m just happy to have the surgery over with and the first week is now behind me

Pain meds: One dose of Hydrocodone with breakfast, another dose of Hydrocodone with lunch, two doses of Tramadol between 2pm – 8pm . I started having quite a bit of pain and the nurse gave me a percocet which I hope will kick in shortly.

Important for us to all remember regarding pain meds, sometimes we get the perfect recipe right away and sometimes it takes a bit of trial and error until we get the best results. I'm still working on it - haven't found the right combination yet.

Energy: Showering took a bit out of me and I was glad to have a little rest before PT. Throughout the day, I ate very well sticking with protein, veggies, fruits, and lots of water. I think I had very good energy today, of course, I rested in the recliner when I wasn’t active doing something. By the way --- this recliner wins the award for “Most Uncomfortable Recliner On The Planet”!!! No kidding, it’s absolutely painful for me. I’ve asked if I can get a different one and have been told by multiple nurses “these are the only ones we have”. UGH! :groan:


BM's: MiraLax in orange juice is exactly what I need to stay regular. I am proud to report that two gifts arrived today. It is important to keep this part of our system moving smoothly, otherwise, it can literally make us ill.


Emotions: Very happy today. Even though I didn’t feel I made much progress in PT, I was in a great mood all day. I believe this is partly due to my finally getting the rest I need at night -- makes a world of difference. I highly recommend asking for sleep aids from the very beginning of your hospital stay. Take them every night before bed.


Today, Monday, the team of docs, nurses, PT’s, OT’s and Social Workers met to discuss each patient in this rehab unit. After submitting their reports to the insurance company, a nurse and the social worker came to find me in PT. They were very happy to tell me that I’d been approved to stay here until Friday. Very good news for me. That’s exactly what I was hoping for. They told me that I would be going to out-patient PT after going home, so no home health for me I guess. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but I will talk with the Social Worker tomorrow and ask if there is any way we can do a combination of both.


Getting out of a chair or bed is still challenging. My legs are swollen and painful – nothing unexpected. I believe it will take time for this to diminish gradually.

I will challenge myself these next few days to make sure that I’m becoming as independent as possible.

My heart is full when I read all the posts from everyone. It makes this journey much less challenging when you know that so many are there to support you.

Thank You All, have a wonderful night’s sleep! :sleep:
:friends:
 
Nice report, Izzie! Sounds like you are getting along well. We have a SUV also and it was pretty easy to get in and out of, actually I think they are the perfect size! I sat in the front although I am sure my wife would have rather I was in the back! :angel:

Things are moving along for me except I have a lot of anxiety and its making me restless. I couldn't use the CPM today because I don't like the confinement right now. PT comes to the house tomorrow and as much as its nice to have them come here I'm looking forward to getting out and socializing with other people.

I must mention that my wife made one of those ice bags with the alcohol and it is awesome! We were going through so many baggies and our ice maker was working overtime...I haven't had to make a new bag in two days! We only made one but we are going to make another one tomorrow!

Here's to good sleep! :sleep:
 
The challenge of getting into and out of a car is bending the legs under load, which is of course what is painful.

Front seat vs. back. If the back seat is bench-style rather than individual seats, then that is what I recommend. You proceed into the vehicle butt first then use your arms to haul yourself the rest of the way, your legs following behind, so you are sitting across the car with your legs straight.

The binbag thing is a great idea IMO. Same butt-first entry sitting on the bag - then a strong person can pull you across the car from the other side.

The dignity and elegance of vehicular entrance cannot be overestimated. Photography prohibited, of course.
 
Hello Izzie,
I know you expected to be in some form of pain :groan:but it hurts me to hear that you are :console2:
I am so glad that you are feeling better mood wise :) Can you ask if some how they can make your recliner
more comfortable? Possibly some foam rubber or that "sheep skin " material, it sounds terrible. :gaah:
Also, Could you ask about home therapy? Tell them you will be alone & possibly will not have a ride.
( you did say your youngest son has a new job & won't be home much).
My husband has a saying...." pain is just weakness leaving the body" I think it's an old football saying.
So, during PT think of this saying :ok:
Oh, Izzie: you have a male bonesmartie worrying about " gauze undies" (insbojo) :rotfl: you have to stop that
right now :loll:
I hope you do well in PT today & your pain is well controlled :ok:I'll check back later tonight.
All my best.....
Diana :flwrysmile: p.s. Do you use a CPM machine?
 
Just popping in to check on you before I go to bed. I hope you had a good day and you get another good sleep tonight. I'm sure your'e right that a good sleep makes everything easier to deal with. About the recliner torture, can't you rest on your bed if the chair causes you pain. I understand they want you up,dressed and about but I think reclining time should be relaxing not causing stress.
Oh Yea! please wear pants when you try to get in the SUV to home. Graceful and lady like it will not be!:whistle:
 
Hi jimbojunk, I’m sorry you are having this anxiety. It’s very hard to deal with. When PT comes to your house, please talk to them about the way you are feeling. Do you know when you might be going to out-patient PT? You would probably feel much better if you are around other people. Are you sleeping okay? If not, you must call your doc and let him/her know. Our mental state takes a toll when we’re not getting proper sleep.

So glad you made the water and alcohol ice bags. Did you put them in Ziploc baggies? The ones that are made here in the hospital are 2 cups water, 1 cup alcohol, and sealed in plastic bags made by a food sealer. I don’t have one, but if the Ziploc bags leak, I might just spring for one of those food sealers.

Hope you are feeling better and getting some good sleep! :sleep:
 
Hi Roy! I love the suggestions about getting home in the car. My SUV is a Toyota Highlander, not very large, but I think it will do the trick. Even though the seats are leather, and the back seat is a bench type, I think I will ask the boys to put a couple of large trash bags on the seat with a blanket on top. I can sit on the back seat, rear end first and have them grab hold of the blanket to pull me along to the other side. We can do the reverse when getting out. Definitely not elegant and there will be no photos! :rotfl:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom