Bilateral TKR BTKR ~~ May 13, 2013 ~~ Post-Op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi My way --- Can you believe it??? My PT called on Thursday to say that they had me scheduled for 1 PM on Friday – WHAT??? I received an email from them with all my appointment dates and times and it clearly said 11:45 AM on Friday. Since my Son had to be at work by 2 PM, that time wouldn’t work for me. This is the second time I’ve had a mix up with them. Tomorrow, I’m going to call a different PT group, much closer to my home and perhaps I can get my OS to send my orders to them. This is a 2 week set back as far as I’m concerned. Really makes me upset, but I’ve been doing my exercises and seeing little bits of improvement. Frustrating! :gaah: Can’t wait until you finally have your surgery, I need to check in on your thread to see the updates.


PS. … You are so funny! I’m still here!!! :friends:
 
Hi Phoenixx29 … Crystalized Ginger is a good idea. I do have some Ginger tea and found some little tablets that dissolve in the mouth, mostly used for motion sickness, but they are also made from Ginger. Thanks for your suggestion!
:flwrysmile:
 
Tomorrow will be 4 weeks since my surgery. Oh my goodness! Time flies!! My PT schedule has been postponed yet again :headbang: After sending me a detailed email with all my appointment times and dates, they called to tell me I was scheduled for a time other than on my schedule! :rolleyes: Because my Son had to be at work and was driving me to and from, I was unable to go! Tomorrow, I'm going to speak to a different PT group to see if I can get on their schedule and get this party going. Very frustrating. I feel I would have been much farther along if the PT hadn't been postponed this long. Although I'm doing my exercises, and I do notice some small improvements, I'm very upset that I have had no control over getting into PT --- so tomorrow, that is going to change.

Wednesday, June 5th, I was feeling pretty good. I did too much (waxing floors and mowing the lawn) and paid for it. Wednesday night, couldn't sleep all night because I was in so much pain, Thursday I spent the day elevating and icing, didn't even do much exercise and wound up taking it easy on Friday as well. I will not do that again. Lesson learned.

Today, I've been up and around most of the day, doing chores, some shopping and little walks with the dogs -- but nothing major. This evening I found myself sitting watching the telly and without thinking crossed my legs! Prior to surgery, I almost never crossed my legs because it was too painful. So, this is a good sign. I immediately uncrossed them, but it was nice to know that it came so naturally. My walking in the morning is pretty stiff, but as the day goes on, it gets better. I no longer use the cane unless I'm feeling unsteady, and I do walk slowly and deliberately. Also, this past week, I've been sleeping on my side with the aid of two pillows (length wise from the thigh to the toes) between my knees. I'm not a back sleeper, so this is major for me. Although I can't stay in that position for a long time, I adjust myself so that I'm still basically sleeping on my side, but it takes a little squiggling around until I can find a truly comfortable position for my knees.

Hopefully this week, I will be able to report that I've actually started PT. And, I plan to get to a park to do some nice long walking. My Son told me he'd take me and walk with me, so if I'm feeling I need to stop, he'll be there. I hope I can get in some good walking because I always feel so much better afterwards. In fact, I feel better when I can keep things moving. Prior to surgery, my knees hurt so badly, it was impossible for me to take a walk in the park or keep moving all day ... I feel this is going to be a great change for me!

I hope everyone is doing well. Although I'm not on this website everyday, I definitely will be checking in and posting and want to tell everyone how much I appreciate all the support. This is the only place I feel I can absolutely tell the good, bad and ugly and will not be judged. Thank you so much for that!!!
:friends:
 
Great to hear your report out but you are waxing floors and mowing the lawn at 4 weeks! Wow!!! Can see why you would be in pain.

Do take it a bit easy on yourself. A month out is still early. Keep that ice coming, that does help.

Do keep letting us know how you are doing. Welllll, mayyyybe leave out the parts about waxing the floor and mowing the lawn if you don't want to have to repeat the BoneSmart mantra 200 hundred times while icing and elevating. :heehee:
 
Izzie, please don't stress about PT. You can do all the stretching and exercising you need at home. Indeed IMO the 'little and often' approach that one can use at home is better.
 
It sounds like like you are doing enough "Physio" on your own! :snork:
 
Hi KayeKaye – I’m very glad to hear that you are finding some of my little journey helpful. I know we all feel the same way – if we can help just one person, it’s worth telling our story.

I can really relate to your dental issues. After being poorly treated by a “dentist” (I don’t think she should have a license to practice), I had multiple root canals and lost all the teeth anyway :hairpulling: It was an absolute nightmare. Those were honestly the worst years of my life. I had to have dental implants and now have implant crowns. When it was finally all over, I was so happy and relieved. I really empathize with your situation. My regret is … I didn’t get the dental issues resolved soon enough and had to postpone my knee surgery. If I hadn’t had that big hold up, I would have been able to do the surgery sooner. Oh well, everything works out the way it’s supposed to.


Wishing you the very best of luck and when the time comes, please check in so that we can keep an eye on you!
:flwrysmile:


I've been dealing with dental issues for over a year now. The dentist wanted me to wait and see if the root canals would "calm down" but just the opposite has happend and both of them have acted up. I have such a headache. The teeth are not sensitive to anything but hurt when biting and just all the time. They checked for cracks and stress fractures and you name it.

I do have to decide to pull them and then what, to get implants or bridges. This is costing a fortune too, and the insurances doesn't cover the bulk of it so I am running out of money and time. Frustrating.

Can I ask how long this process took for you once you pulled the teeth? Am I looking at another year of teeth healing? :boohoo:
thanks
 
Will you come wax my floors? Pretty please? Has nothing to do with my knees; it's just not my bliss. Will bake a cake for you. Maybe two.
 
Izzie, I'm probably not the best one to give you advice, but I have learned the hard way to follow the BoneSmart mantra to take my pain meds and not over do it, although I've joined that club the last couple of days. I'm now at 14 weeks post-op but at 8 weeks out I felt almost normal. Long story short I managed to pull some muscles, ended up very tired to the point of depression, so I'm now back to resting, elevating, and icing. It's really helping, I'm napping almost every day and taking 2-3 hydrocone every day. SoI can't even imagine waxing floors, or mowing the lawn. Ginger tea has really helped with the nausea,so I hoe you get past that soon. Take easy and good luck with your pt, and I'm so happy for you that this bilateral knee replacement has gone so well,
 
Hoping you have a good day. I've been thinking about you and wondering how you are doing.:friends:
 
Izzie
I am impressed with your walking and shopping etc! I am 10 weeks out and walking has been difficult for me (stiffness, etc.) - I do it, but it's not "long walking"! If walking makes you feel good, that's wonderful - another step back to normal life. And I'm with you on the transition to side sleeping!

I'm glad all is going well for you.
j
 
Wow! Izzie (my autocorrect keeps changing Izzie to Ozzie which for some reason just makes me giggle!) your progress is amazing & Almost has me excited about doing my next surgery and getting on with life! Are you doing any aqua therapy?

Best wishes!

Min :)
 
Where did Izzie go? We need to hear about your progress. :flwrysmile:
 
Izzie, come baaaaack-I mith you!! Hope your absence means that you are doing well and are staying busy with life. Take care and post when you can!! Tennessee hugs to you!
 
Just a quick update. Four months out now and feel (almost) completely normal. I am able to do so many things that I was not able to do for 10 years or more. Amazing. BTKR ROCKS!!! Sorry I haven't posted sooner, life has been crazy busy and just plain crazy. Everyone has a little different experience, but if anyone is on the fence about having this surgery - don't wait. I wish I'd done this years ago - I would have enjoyed my life so much more.

Currently, I am not in PT but still doing some exercising on my own. Walking, stationery bike, treadmill, eliptical, pilates machine, total gym machine - all no problem. I have yet to get to the swimming pool, but am planning that within the next few weeks, just haven't had time.

No complaint with my knees, but I have developed some bulging discs in my lower back which need attention. It's causing pain down my left leg to the foot and affecting the outside of my left knee. Painful, but I know it can be resolved. Don't know how this happened - could have been something I did of course.

Hope everyone is doing very well!
:dancy:
 
Izzie,
How are you sweetie :) I've missed you. The time certainly does fly, I am 3 months, 3 weeks & back to my life
Working & living :happydance: I am so sorry about your back, my son (26) just had a sciatic episode, he couldn't
Walk, he was in so much pain. We took him to the O.R. I :cry: the whole time. He was there for 6 hours.
They gave him a shot & Percocet & muscle relaxers. He missed a whole week of work, but is feeling better :SUNsmile:
I hope your back feels better !!!!
Thinking of you always :friends:
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Well its so nice to hear from Izzie again! I asked about you while you were away. I love when members come back long enough to say hi and let us know how their recovery is going.
 
Izzie, i popped in and there you are! I'm so glad your knees are doing so well! Sorry about the bulging disks, that can cause some grief. I have similar issues, have to be careful, but am leaving well enough alone at the moment. Enjoy life and your new knees girl!
 
Wow good for you Izzie! Isn't it amazing the difference with new knees? I wish I had done both at once, but not long now and I will have a matching set.

Keep up the good work, and I am impressed with everything you're doing already!

Heidi
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom