Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR BTKR ~~ May 13, 2013 ~~ Post-Op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @schippe4me – You sound like you are doing amazingly well! I’m with you … can’t believe how easy this is going! Highly recommended! Wishing you continued success!

new knee in June – I’ve missed posting and reading all the great stories. Life just isn’t giving me enough time these days. I empathize with your Son and his sciatic problem – had that many years ago and can attest it is excruciating -- wishing him well. My problem is not that thank goodness. Hope you are doing well!

scaredinCA – Haven’t checked in on anyone’s thread for a long time, just wanted to pop in and give a little update – hope you are doing great!

Hi Janet2012 – Good to hear from you and, like you, I’m leaving well enough alone (as for the bulging discs) would prefer not to have any surgery unless it becomes completely unbearable or causes some other problem. I’m sure you are as active as ever – I’m definitely enjoying my new knees!

Hey there Baystater – You are going to love having two new knees (I know I don’t have to tell you that). I’m 60 years old now and haven’t felt this good in over ten years – amazing! Won’t be long now and you’ll be on the other side with your new left knee – Good Luck!!

Bug Hugs to everyone! :friends:
 
Six Months Since My BLTKR! :happydance: Absolutely the best thing I could have done. Everyday, I am amazed at just a little bit more improvement. These days, I rarely even think much about the surgery. Honestly, I've had an excellent result. There were plenty of times, early on, when I was doing my exercises at home that I pushed through the pain, but it was so worth it!!! I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I can walk my pups half a mile at the park, not as long of a walk as I'd like, but I'm no longer having knee pain or hoping that I'll make it back. I can stand on one leg! I can stand up from a seated position without having to pull myself up on something or ask for assistance. I can sit in the floor and get up again without any help. Climbing the stairs is no longer a problem. So many things that I can now do without help, I couldn't be more pleased.

There is still some minor pain I feel, the left knee only. I also have a slight bit of trouble raising my left knee up to a bent position while still in bed, first thing in the morning. My left knee has far more ROM than my right, but my right knee and leg seems to be the strongest. My left leg has less muscle power because my right leg was doing most of the work before my surgery. Honestly, these are all so minor, I hate to even report them, but feel I must give an accurate account of my recovery.

No longer in PT, I do some exercising at home, not a lot. Walking, housework, yard work, etc. When I'm sitting, I do my best to get my feet as far behind me as possible to get more flex. I try to get in a kneeling position and lower myself, but I'm no where near sitting on my heels. Oh well, I wasn't able to do that before surgery either. :heehee:

My lower back has given me some problems, not sure what that is a result of, but I'm icing and doing everything I can at home to assist with the healing of my bulging discs. This started in August, but I'm happy to report that it is much better now and I expect will continue to improve.

All in all, BLTK is a wonderful thing! I highly recommend it to anyone who is considering it. One thing I suggest ... make sure you get a great OS. That was my good fortune and I think it has made a huge difference in my recovery. I wish I had not delayed the surgery for so long - I missed so much.

Hoping everyone is doing great! The support given here on this forum is phenomenal!!! Love and Hugs to everyone! :friends:
 
Congrats Lizzie! So glad to hear how well you are doing! You are an inspiration to all!

Hugs
Denise
 
Hello Izzie,
It's so good to hear from you :) What a great report :happydance: I will be 6 months Dec. 3rd. I couldn't
Agree with you more. Look at all we are able to do now :dancy:
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, we have so much to be thankful for
Love,
Diana.."JUNE SUNBEAMS " :SUNsmile:
 
Glad you're doing so well, Izzie, we've missed you and hope you drop by from time to time.

Dorothy
 
Izzie
What a wonderful report! Everything's going well, it seems--or at least it's going along with the recovery timetable. I'm impressed with your floor work - I CAN get down/up without help, but not in any natural-looking way. And I'll be fine if I never kneel again.

It seems as though back pain occurs for many of us here on the forums - right now I have a sore hip - but compared to the back/hip pain I had a year ago, I am much better--most likely because I am stronger and don't "walk funny."

How lovely to walk your dog and do things that last year would have been difficult if not impossible! Hooray for your "new life."
j
 
Izzie,
What a wonderful update! You sound amazing, two new knees and life is good! This surgery really can improve quality of life so dramatically can't it? I have no regrets :)
I had me left knee done last month and while the recovery is going well it is a bit slower this time. But by slower I mean I still need a cane to walk and have some stiffness by the end of the day. Not bad all in all and if my right knee is any indication I will be out walking the dog and playing on the floor with my grandchildren by late winter. And with winter being what it is here in New England I don't mind waiting! Already had a few dustings of snow, enough to make things tricky on the roads.

Keep up the good work and wonderful progress and have a great Thanksgiving!

Heidi
 
Wow! Eleven months since receiving my new knees :happydance: This time last year, I was in a world of PAIN - unable to stand from a seated position - couldn't take the dogs for a decent walk - pulling myself up on stairs - the list goes on. How I wish I'd had the surgery many years ago, but so thankful I didn't wait a moment longer. As so many have attested, this has changed our lives! I can actually walk, fast, and without assistance. Everything isn't perfect, but I'm so happy with my new knees, I don't mind a few little aches, pains, and some stiffness occasionally. Unfortunately, I've had issues with bulging discs in my lower back which has affected the way I carry myself. Early on the pain in my back was terrible, but it's beginning to settle down and I'm looking forward to Spring (finally!) and hoping to be outside daily. It would be wonderful to live somewhere the weather was more agreeable - who knows, anything can happen. Reading many of the threads here is so encouraging. Anyone with questions about this surgery and looking for support has found the perfect spot - it's all here! My love and huge hugs to everyone !:friends:
 
Congratulations, Izzie! Isn't it amazing what a difference a few months can make? Your report is wonderful. I agree; the new knees are not the same as the old ones (a few aches and such) - but isn't it great to know you can stand up and take a step - without groaning, waiting for the knee to be ready to walk, etc.?

Good luck with your back issues. It seems back/hip troubles are common among Bonesmarties. Mine finally went away and has been gone for at least two months - I am able now to do more work with weights, etc. and maybe strength is making the difference.

In any event, enjoy your anniversary!
j
 
@MissJ - I'm so glad and encouraged to hear that your back/hip troubles have gone away. I do think working with weights and walking make a very big difference. May I please ask what kind of weight work you do? I don't belong to a gym, but I have several pieces of equipment and sets of dumbbells. Looking online, I find some good advice. Because I waited so long to have my knees replaced, muscles had begun to atrophy, my arthritis became worse due to lack of motion, and I gained a lot of weight - another reason for anyone on the fence to have the surgery.

Congratulations on passing your one year anniversary! :yay:
 
For a long time I did only PT-type exercises - One of my "core" exercises (haha) is lying down, pillow under head, roll under hips. I "blow down" my ribcage---try to get it to touch my belly button & imagine the belly button digging into the surface I'm on. Once I've warmed up, I take a stick in both hands and extend my arms over my head - then I "blow down" and bring my arms up and over to about chin/chest, and do that a few times (I found I had not been stretching out my arms at ALL). It helps with both of these if you have a small ball or something to place between your knees. My PT warned to never do lat pull-downs...so I tend to work the "front" of my body!

My non-PT-ish exercises are very light bicep curls, very light tricep extensions (drop weight behind my head, then extend my arm up straight) - sometimes I do these sitting in a straight chair so that I can be sure to tighten my abs & place less strain on my back. I do belong to a gym so also use a couple of machines that help me minimize strain on my back (i.e. ab machine, bench press) - again, I am not breaking any of Schwarzenegger's records with this work.

Lately I've been making it a point to get on the floor :) to stretch out my legs--both straight ahead and spread out - my back is NOT flexible as it once was. I also do side bends while my legs are stretched to either side. Then I stand up and do yoga-style forward bends - 4-5 of them - again, because I have lost all flexibility. I realized my legs feel incredibly tight all the time, esp. at night -- the stretching seems to help a bit with that. I tried yoga twice - once was OK, once was disastrous. I just keep experimenting every couple of months.

You'd think swimming would be great, and I love it - but every time I end up with a bad back/neck. The last time I tried was 2 months ago; I'm about ready to give it another shot.

Mainly, I make sure to walk or combo walk//staionary bike for at least 1/2 hour 4 times/week. I figure it will take another year or so before I am really strong and recovered. That seems to be the point where Bonesmarties start doing things like taking hikes or riding real bikes. We have to cut ourselves some recovery slack!

SkiGirl and Gazelle recommend walking/hiking sticks, esp. if back problems are also involved - I might try those.
Good luck!
 
p.s. The forward bends are also a way to practice my balance - I am still having some balance issues; I can be standing still & then suddenly lurch a bit. If I think of it I sometimes try to stand with one leg up & bent (as though I was about to march)...not for long, but to get a sense of balance.
 
@izzie
Izzie,
So good to hear from you :friends:You sound wonderful, I am glad everything is going well :)
I will be 11 months on May 3, 2014. I still get small:gaah:When I walk to much. I just skip a day
& continue on the next day.
I can walk a mile, but it takes me 25 minutes, I don't care, I get there in the end.
I sometimes re-read my thread & there you were, Encouraging me & being a true friend.
For that I thank You......As we come upon our 1 yr. Anniversary, may we only get better day by day:angel:
Love & Hugs,
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
@MissJ ~ Thank you for all the great tips. I'm going to try your routine. Swimming does sound wonderful so I hope next time you give it a shot it works! I don't have access to a swimming pool :sad: The local Y is not far from me, but unfortunately, they've gone sky high with their monthly fees. Not doable for me. Balance is an issue for so many of us. Stick with what you're doing, it sounds like you're doing things exactly the right way. And, it's so important for us to (as you said) "cut ourselves some recovery slack!" I agree. Progress at our own speed. If your gym has any pilates classes or equipment, you might want to give that a try (unless you've done it already). Early on in my recovery, I used my at home pilates reformer and admittedly pushed myself hard to get my knees to bend, but it was wonderful. This past winter I've gotten so out of rhythm with exercise but hope to rectify that soon. Take care and keep up all the great work!!! Thanks again for the tips!!!
 
@new knee in June ~ Hi Diana! Very good to hear from you and so encouraged by your recovery progress! Walking a mile in 25 minutes is great!!! On the days I've been able to get out with my 2 pups, we walk very fast - not a mile - I'm not sure how far, somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 mile probably. I don't push myself, but these little puppies legs go so fast, I want to keep up :loll: I try to watch my shadow to make sure I'm not hunching over as I did before the surgery. Keeping proper posture is important for me because I have this low back problem. Anyway ... it's great to hear from you - the big "one" anniversary will be here before you know it! ~ Love and Hugs ~ Lizzie
 
A little overdue, but .... I've now past my one year mark since my BTKR ~~ Hooray!!! :happydance:
Replacing both my knees gave me my life back. I echo the remarks from so many others who feel that the quality of their lives has improved by leaps and bounds. My biggest downfall is forgetting (or ignoring) that I need to be careful with my precious new knees. Unfortunately, I've been dealing with a very difficult situation -- a terrible new next door neighbor. In my zeal to get my landscaping completed this year, I dug holes for trees and I've hurt my left knee. I can hear everyone now ~ "what were you thinking!!!" I was NOT thinking about the pressure I was putting on my knees, I was determined to get these fast growing giant arborvitae in the ground. I am icing and resting my knees, but taking the dogs for a walk is now a little bit painful. So ..... fingers crossed, I have not done anything to damage my precious new baby knees and with rest and respect, I will be fine. How can I be so stupid??? Here's me praying that I'll be okay :beg:

Until the digging of the holes, everything was going so well. I love what having two new knees has done for my life!!! I can climb stairs without any assistance or holding onto anything, walk fast, get up and down from the floor, do some yoga, etc. I feel that I will live longer now that I can be more active. I am thrilled with the change in my life! Now if I can just win the lottery!!!!!

The support from everyone on this forum was the only thing that kept me going before, during, and after my surgery. This is the very best place to be for anyone facing joint replacement. I will never be able to thank everyone enough ~~ you guys are the best!!!
:friends: Big hugs and much love to everyone :loveshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yay hooray on your anniversary! It's so exciting to have that year done. At the same time, I think our new knees are still recovering and strengthening - it seems as though every 3 months I can do a little more.

I'm sorry to hear about the digging incident (are you trying to hide your neighbors?) - but happy to hear about your other activities. While my new knees aren't perfect, I am (as you say) getting my life back, and that's wonderful.

Celebrate!
j
 
Glad to read your update izzie!! Sounds like you are doing very well. I hope you haven't hurt your new knee, but maybe its just soft tissue issues and will get better on its own if you baby it awhile.
 
Thank You @MissJ ~ It is amazing how quickly this year has gone by. I know what you mean by seeing something improving every 3 months. And, yes, I am trying to block the view of my neighbor ~ trying to gain some privacy. It's been a very difficult few months for me.

As for celebrating ~~ my 61st birthday was Friday, so this is my birthday weekend! Now, I'll have a little glass of wine!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom