Bilateral TKR BTKR ~~ May 13, 2013 ~~ Post-Op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have anything at home to take that helps the nausea? I hope so.
 
Hi, I hope you feel a little better. I find salty, plain potato chips the best cure for nausea. Not the baked kind but the real salty unhealthy ones. :snork: It's a great excuse to have a treat.
 
Hi Hopper - Yes, the nausea is yucky, but I'm hanging in there. It kind of takes away my motivation for staying on track with my exercises, so I must push myself. Hope you are doing well!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi scaredinCA - I don't really have anything at home to take, but I'm trying to go a little bit longer in between pain meds. I really think they are to blame - probably just building up in my system. I'm feeling much better today, so keeping fingers crossed! Hope all is well with you!!!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi My way - YUM! Salty potato chips sound wonderful! Must pick some up tomorrow. You're right, nausea is a great excuse :heehee:
 
I'm at 4 weeks today LTKR and every afternoon i get the nausea funky feeling. I dont take pain meds during the day, just at night. Today I tried zofran but after an hour I noticed that I was still nauseous. This evening I took my pain meds for bedtime and within an hour the nausea was gone. I had originally thought the pain meds were causing the nausea but now that I dont take them during the day I'm not sure. The food that helps me the best is anything cold from salads to ice cream.
 
Hi patbike - Thanks for the insight on the pain meds. I've been taking hydrocodone every 4-6 hours and percocet before going to sleep. I have tramadol if there is a need to supplement in between. Today, I took 2 hydrocodone in the morning, then nothing until around 4 PM. I waited too long, I was in pain, but not nauseous. I took only 2 tramadol late this evening and did my exercises. It could be a combination of things. So far today, I haven't been nauseous. Cold things do sound really good! How are you doing now that you are 4 weeks out?
 
izzie
Overall all I am currently feeling pretty good all things considered.
I go to PT twice a week and do stretching twice a day and strengthening 1 to 2 times a day. I usually try to walk about a mile on most days. I am too uncomfortable at night to sleep without hydrocodone which I take at around 7 , 11 , and 3 am. Each afternoon I still feel a little nausea and funky , I don't normally take any pain meds during the day and haven't for about a week ( I don't really feel any pain during the day except perhaps a little in the afternoon if I have been particularly active. . Overall I think my biggest problem is tiredness which is probably due to interrupted sleep and the energy being diverted to the healing process. I think I lost 12 to 15 pounds since the surgery. I'm also at the point where I think you just have to take it easy and let the body heal itself. Exercise is good but you don't want to do anything that is painful or that will slow the healing process, Oh yes and ice and elevation not only is good for healing but is great for some pain relief. I don't think you can over do it - just don't freeze your skin.
All the best
PS. In my opinion there is no reason if you are in any pain to not take the pain meds. I initially after 2 weeks was anxious to get off them but realized it was counterproductive. Tramadol did zero for me but that may just be me. Also ibuprofen and Tylenol are pretty useless at this point.
 
Balancing meds, pain relief, nausea etc., is a challenge. I used Zofran and never took meds on an empty stomach. I kept fiber one bars on hand and ate 1/2 before every pill. It's all part of the process!
 
Hi Izzie, sounds like you are doing great. I had a rough time last week, I could not get ahead of the pain and was really suffering. I started taking more hydrocodone and just staying in bed with ice and elevated and slowly over 6 days I got better. I did some research on the forum and decided I was just up too much. The extra rest and pain meds did the job and this week I feel better. I'm just doing gentle stretching for now. I don't have much appetite but have not had nausea, I am eating mostly cold fruit and a little ice cream. I still have a protein shake most days for vitamins. I would suggest just plain old saltines and 7up for nausea, I'm not sure about greasy potato chips...
 
patbike -- I think you're doing great. Walking as much as you are is fantastic! I'm walking okay, but not very far - unless I'm at Costco with a shopping cart, then I get in plenty of walking. Sounds like you've found the right combination for your level of pain. I know everyone is different, and we respond to medications differently. I cut way back on the hydrocodone yesterday and today and feel much less nauseous. Since I've been home from the hospital, I've been making a protein shake every morning (with milk) and now I'm thinking that may have something to do with the nausea as well. I'll cut it out for a few days and see if I feel better. The energy drain is ever present. Some days I do feel much better than others. Elevating and icing are a big part of my day. Can't wait until we are a few more weeks out! Keep up the good work!!!
 
Janet -- I'll speak to my OS about Zofran. I'm sure he'll prescribe some. Fiber is very important for me to keep everything moving. I love the way those fiber bars taste, but I just get terrible gas :groan: If I take MiraLax everyday, I'm good. If I don't, I really don't feel well. You're right - it is a process. I'm hanging in there.
 
Hi Midwest knees -- I'm glad you're feeling better. It's amazing how the body responds to rest. We just have to be careful and pace ourselves. Are you doing some out patient PT? I've been doing my at home exercises, but I feel I'd be doing a better job with the guidance and encouragement of a PT. Friday will be my first visit for out patient PT and then I'm scheduled 3 times per week for a month. Even when I'm resting and elevating, I'm doing my ankle pumps and stretching - I'm sure you're doing the same thing. Take care and keep treating yourself well -- we'll get there!
 
Hi Izzie, I want to thank you for your diligence recording your recovery. It's so helpful to read others experiences. I'm glad you figured out to ease up on the PT. I can't believe you are out at Costco already, great! I look forward to your continued journey.

I am having both knees done when I finally get my teeth all taken care of and get the ok. I've had thee root canal failures and have to think about pulling those teeth. So I am pretty depressed about the whole situation and not on the board here except to lurk about and read. Just to say, you never know who you are helping with your postings. Thanks again!
 
Great to hear all is well, Izzie! My left is sure more stiff than the right was but doc says all is well at my visit today and gave me the no restrictions ok! So, first thing I did was go home, go for a walk and then jumped in the pool and I can't tell you how great that felt! I now why people love their aqua therapy! Couldn't have come at a better time as it was about 103 today in the Vegas valley! Flying to Michigan on Saturday, about a 4.5 hr flight. I have an aisle seat and will be getting up a lot to walk!

I only had nausea when I changed my dose and/or the type. I'm weaning off them now, it's not easy for me, I have been taking them for years for my pain. I want them out of my life though. Hopefully, you find something that helps. My wife sucks on peppermint lifesavers when she gets an upset stomach, she says it helps.
 
Hi , How did your out patient PT session go? I hope the nausea has settled. When I first started taking tramadol I was queasy but it settled after a few days. I suppose your body adjusts after a while.
Puffin is home! :happydance: :) She must be so happy to have it over with. All you guys will be so experienced when I finally get to join you on the other side that I'll just check in here and not bother with Dr.s and PTs.:heehee:
I think the energy drain may sometimes be a good thing. At least it makes us take it a little slower and forces us to rest. I often feel drained and on these days my knees get a break. If I didn't feel tired I'd wait for the pain meds to kick in and off I'd go again. :groan:Take care :martini:
 
Hi Izzie - I hope you are feeling better now. If you are still struggling with nausea - have you tried ginger? Nibbling on crystallized ginger or drinking ginger tea really helps.
 
Hi KayeKaye – I’m very glad to hear that you are finding some of my little journey helpful. I know we all feel the same way – if we can help just one person, it’s worth telling our story.

I can really relate to your dental issues. After being poorly treated by a “dentist” (I don’t think she should have a license to practice), I had multiple root canals and lost all the teeth anyway :hairpulling: It was an absolute nightmare. Those were honestly the worst years of my life. I had to have dental implants and now have implant crowns. When it was finally all over, I was so happy and relieved. I really empathize with your situation. My regret is … I didn’t get the dental issues resolved soon enough and had to postpone my knee surgery. If I hadn’t had that big hold up, I would have been able to do the surgery sooner. Oh well, everything works out the way it’s supposed to.


Wishing you the very best of luck and when the time comes, please check in so that we can keep an eye on you!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi jiimbojunk --- So glad to hear all went so well with the doc and jumping in the pool sounds like heaven!!! By now, you are in Michigan – so, I hope you had a great flight. As for the nausea, I’ve cut way back on the pain meds and not drinking a daily protein shake with milk in the morning. I think that may have had something to do with it. The peppermint lifesavers sound like a great idea though. Again, so very glad to hear you’re doing well!!!
:dancy:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom