TKR Brownie's Good, Bad, & Uglies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my gosh I am overwhelmed by the love and support you have all sent my way. It is a hilarious story about Lynn's visit. She should tell the whole thing! Sister sister!!! My family thinking she is a stranger, Lynn got to see me before they did because of the timing. She can tell it better but it made me laugh and laugh! I just can't believe how much support you've all given me. RestAssured I bookmarked your explanation of recovery/pain. The doctors don't know these things. Yes, my infection festered for 7 weeks because of my OS ignoring my complaints. He needs to learn to listen to his patients and that each patient is different. In his mind we are all alike and if you have complaints outside his idea of the norm then he simply ignores it. Hence the lack of pain control, diagnostic tests, ignorance of my symptoms etc.
I got home last night at 7pm. My daughter and my nurse got it just right so she pulled up and I came down. My care at Santa Monica UCLA was unbelievable. The pain is awful. I got up at 4 and gave myself the IV Vancomycin. It's hard to get my pain down after being up. I have oxycontin 10mg. every 12 hours then Percocet 5mg. 2 tabs every 4 hours. I took the Percocet at 7 and it's 830 and the pain is up there burning and throbbing. I just took the Oxycontin because it's been 12 hours. Maybe that's why the Percocet isn't holding me because it was time for the long acting med. I've never had pain like this that is so severe and that has lasted months.
The doctor said it was not abscessed but there was infection. He made a long skinny window in the tibia. He just leaves it like that and it heals up. So it's about 5 inches long and I think he said 6 mm wide so it can drain if needed. So my sutures are not close together so any infection can come through if needed. The drain was removed the 2nd post op day and dressing changed on the 3rd day and I went home the 4th day. The cultures didn't grow anything which means the Vanco and Cipro were covering the infection so I was sent home on the same drugs although was receiving IV drugs in the hospital now one switches to oral Cipro and stay with the IV Vancomycin every 12 hours.
Social worker saw me this am. The wheel chair didn't get delivered yesterday so she will check on that and she is setting me up for Access transportation so I can get to the doctor. I can't ask friends to take off work for that. I can't drive for now and it may be awhile before I can. I just took my Percocet 25 minutes early. Too bad, I needed it!
I can't believe what good care I have gotten but boy I would trade this and be starting back to work Tuesday for anything. This is for the birds!
I put my vancomycin IV ball on a PotteryBarn candlestick last night. AS soon as I laid down the ball flew off but landed on my bed. The candlestick went down like Humpty Dumpty and I can see he is in several pieces. Funny how I look at stuff now. Like who cares and why did I buy that anyway.
Going to stay in bed with leg elevated today. As soon as I even put my leg down, not even with weight on it but just hanging off the side of bed or chair, the pain starts and the swelling increases.
Thank you all so much for all your support. I am so lucky to have all of you rooting for me.
Marianne
 
Awe Marianne, thank you so much for the update! :console2: I'm so sorry you're in so much pain! (((HUGS))) I sure hope your recovery goes forward from here on out, without a hitch. After this is behind you, you deserve a humongous vacation my friend! You will be on my mind in in my heart throughout your recovery! No one should have to go through so much pain for someone else's foolish mistake and lack of judgement! :no-fin:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Brownie's Good, Bad, & Uglies
Marianne. Happy to see you felt able to update us. It's so good to just hear from you---been a long time. Still praying for you and sending all the healing vibes I can muster.

Take care and post when you feel up to it. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Brownie's Good, Bad, & Uglies
 
Thank you all so much. My pain is getting under control but I am on the clock with my meds. The minute my leg hangs down the pain comes and even the swelling comes quickly. Right now the swelling is better.
Almost time for my Vanco IV ball. Going to wait one hour so I can get it back on a schedule that is not during the night.
Home health didn't come this am. I called and left a message on the exchange. Thank God I can do the IV myself. I have to give myself the Lovenox shot for 2 weeks post op.
Thanks again everyone!
 
It is soooooo good to hear from you, Brownie!!! I certainly like some of the things I read about what your surgeon found (and didn't find) when he was doing the procedure. There is some good news there.

I hope you can get on top of the pain soon. Just keep taking those meds on your schedule! Since it hurts when your leg is not elevated, I hope you can spend HUGE amounts of time resting with it up. Can you ice? If so, that should help you along with the pain meds.

You are doing great with your care. I think when this is all over, we'll need to give you an Honorary Nurse Award! You are certainly getting some first-hand training in a field you never expected to become knowledgeable about, aren't you! God bless you, hon. You're in my prayers non-stop.

I'm sending you some cheery Kansas Sunflowers to make your day brighter....

[Bonesmart.org] Brownie's Good, Bad, & Uglies
 
Glad to know you are at home and doing much better. You have been dealt a bad hand which you have handled quite well. I don't know if I could have dealt with what you are currently dealing with. Keep us updated when you can. Take care! <3
 
Dear brownie,
So happy to see you posting :) I am so glad you were treated better in this hospital, than by your o.s.
Sometimes those of us with an uneventful recovery, don't realize how this could of happened to any
One of us ( speaking for myself, of course ) I am sorry it happened to you :console2:
We can send you our hugs & wishes,
Please, know we are here for you....... :friends:
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Brownie,

Those iv power balls are amazing! You can stick it in your pocket, lay it on the bed, wherever you want! It doesn't have to be higher than you! It is a pressurized ball that pushes the medicine in at the rate they have set! I walked around w mine in my pocket! :happydance:

Now, keep your leg elevated, watch the funny sitcoms, or just listen to some of our talking. Sometimes that in itself is laughter enough! :heehee:
 
Good morning Marianne,
Great to read your posts. I am so pleased your latest op went well and you are home. You have had such a rotten time, hopefully now you have turned a corner and are on a smooth ride back to pain free knees.
Take it gently.
Sending hugs and more Belgian chocolate with a sprinkling of fairy dust to cheer you up,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :wink: :flwrysmile: :console2:
 
Brownie, I went back to the "archives" and dug this out of a closed thread of mine! I bet it will sound kind of familiar in some aspects as far as pain and attitude are concerned!:wink:
One year today! I am celebrating the birthday of my right knee replacement!:yahoo:

This knee has been through so much, but it has hung in there!:snork:

I still remember when it busted open two weeks after surgery, and the pain it caused me.:wink1:

I remember after having the spacer replaced, and the washout and debridement done, wanting to give up due to the pain! Amy and Keith, my Homebound physical therapists, helped me through the rough times and got me back on the road towards wellness.:dancy:

I remember relapsing with MRSA again, and meeting Dr. Maale in Dallas. The knee had turned so dark that he thought he would have to amputate my leg from above the knee!:hate-shocked:

I remember starting PT at T-Star with Chris, Katie, Rick, and Valerie and the loving support that they provided. Rick started lymph edema therapy on me, and then he taught Katie how to do it because I really liked Katie as a PT!:biggrin: (I love to give her a hard time, of course everyone already knows that!):wink1:

Now, I am at the point that we have corrected a lot of the problems with my knee!:yahoo: I still have weakness on the inner side of my knee, so the kneecap is still popping out, but not like it was! Life is looking so much better every day!

God has blessed me abundantly! :happy dance:

Happy Birthday knee! You have come a long way baby! From probable amputation, to thoughts of a complete revision

Brownie This post was written in 2011. This was before the revision. So hang in there and you will get through this! i am always around if you have any questions!
 
Yay so happy you are home! But so sorry for such severe pain. OUCH! Now rest up and heal and be gentle with yourself. Gentle hugs my friend!
 
Good morning Marianne,
How are you today? I hope things are progressing well for you and that your pain is controlled.
Hugs Toothfairy x :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom