TKR Braunzie's Journey on "The Other Side"?

Thanks, all.. so what I'm hearing is that what I'm experiencing is pretty normal.. (That is good news, I guess.. :heehee:) @MsBlue - Good luck with going back to work. Anxious to hear how it goes..
 
@Braunzie. Just caught up on your thread! War with the dust bunnies! Love it! I know I'll be seeing dust bunnies sooner than I like, but I've been on massive cleaning spree as well eliminating as many dust bunnies as possible.

How was the chicken stew? I was going to do your pork recipe, but could not find the green chili powder. Do u use it or just skip it?
 
@wings - Hi there! Yes, it was SOOOO therapeutic to start getting my house back in order!! I've been going from room to room, and finally feel like I'm winning the battle! Still have things I can't even try to reach, as it would require me to get down on my hands and knees, which is NOT going to happen.. for a while, if EVER?? It's good that you're getting ahead of it before your surgery.. I didn't get a chance to do that, as I was pretty busy with work and ... well, it just didn't happen. (I'm actually enjoying being at home and having time to do some things that I normally don't get a chance to do because work "gets in the way".. ) Your surgery is next Tuesday, is that right? The wait is almost over!! Are you feeling ready? :)

The chicken soup was really good. Really had a nice, rich flavor. :yes:.. And now that you ask about the Green Chili Powder, there's kind of a funny story behind that. I was in New Mexico on vacation, and I found it in one of the shops. I had never SEEN Green Chili Powder before, only red, so I bought it. Then I had to LOOK for a recipe that used it, which is how I found the Pork recipe. :heehee: You can get some through Amazon if you can't find it in a store near you.. https://smile.amazon.com/New-Mexican-Chili-Powder-Ounce/dp/B007580T60/?tag=ate362da-20

Admittedly, it's not cheap when you include the shipping. However, this one is 7 oz. bottle, while the one with free shipping for $5.99 has only one oz. I really enjoy the dish, so I've bought it several more times since I originally tried the recipe.

Maybe it's not such a rare ingredient in Texas??

I know my daughter has made the recipe and has used canned green chilis.. (I can't speak to the difference that might make, since I haven't done that, but she likes it. ) That would likely be a decent substitution .. :SUNsmile:

Would love to hear if you get a chance to try it.. :wink:
 
Hey there. Guess it's been a few days since I posted. 9 weeks tomorrow, and I hit a bump in the road and I'm soooo bummed.. My back had been starting to hurt a bit - and I figured it was the result of walking abnormally due to my knee. Even using the crutch to walk, I was really trying to focus on an even distribution of weight, as much as possible. I've been walking without any crutch or cane around the house now for a couple weeks, at least, and feeling like I'm really improving on my balance and confidence. - Really focusing on walking as much without a limp as possible.. Yesterday, I rode the stationary bike for about 20 minutes, walked for about 20 minutes and then I sat for quite a long time working on editing photos at my desk (getting up to stretch occasionally), then I made dinner.. I experienced quite a bit of stiffness in my knee from sitting for so long - which I expected - but last night by the time I went to bed, my "occasional" back pain turn to severe muscle spasms. Any way I moved, I would get these shooting pains in the lower right side of my back. :boohoo: - to the point of barely even being able to move. - and yes, I was near tears... Sigh.. :sad:

Took an Oxycondone (that I haven't taken in weeks), slept on my back with the heating pad on all night, waking up to turn it back on from the automatic turn off. Still very sore this AM.. took a shower, took another oxycodone, made coffee and sat down in my recliner with the heating pad... I'll be getting up soon (hopefully), but this is pretty darn depressing. I'm just getting to the point where I can actually start getting things done, and now my back is bothering me.. (I've never had any back issues.. ) - Actually, the term "bothering" is not strong enough.. this is debilitating.. :cry: Any one else have any back issues such at this? Obviously I did something to tick it off.. not sure what.. Plan of attack is to continue using heat, do some stretching, control with pain meds and hope that it settles down. Hubby tried massaging it this am, but that didn't really seem to help.. (but it was really nice of him to try.. )

Anyone have any other recommendations? I thought of going to urgent care, but my husband (who has had these kinds of spasms before) said they would just give me Oxycodone.. So.. I didn't go.. I'm hoping this is just a blip.. :sad:
 
Ow!

Without any medical expertise at all on my side, but tons of back pain experience, I accuse asymmetrical back muscle activity and positioning caused by having an asymmetrical gait and other asymmetrical happenings. My guess is muscle spasms on one side that are pressing on a nerve ... which will eventually go away. Since you've never had back issues, I'm sure this is more than a little scary, Braunzie.

If you are doing outpatient PT you might want to consider asking your OS to extend your PT prescription to include some back work. Make sure you get a PT individual who really knows backs ... they tend to specialize in a body area and this is one place where experience really counts.
 
One of the meds prescribed for my knee that I still have a lot of is Robaxin, a muscle relaxer. If you have any muscle relaxers, you might try that. I did get a glimmer of back pain one day, but it went away pretty quickly. Sounds like yours is way more than a glimmer. Lower right back, huh? Could it be where the IT band attaches at the top? Someone wiser than me should have a clue.
 
One of the meds prescribed for my knee that I still have a lot of is Robaxin, a muscle relaxer. If you have any muscle relaxers, you might try that.
Please, don't take any medications without discussing them with your doctor first.
 
Absolutely, what @Celle says. I took muscle relaxants on my own (this is in the olden days) thinking that it would resolve the spasms, but what the meds did was relax the ordinary muscles without affecting the
spasming muscles. The result was a huge imbalance! Biggest self-imposed medical mistake of my life. Docs have seen more cases than their patients have, and they tend to know what they are doing. Usually.
 
No insights here, but lots of sympathy and TLC. Wondering if it was the 20 minutes on the exercise bike (which used back muscles in one way), followed by lots and lots and lots of sitting, which turned around and used the back muscles, already excited from 20 minutes of biking, in another way. If you're like me, it's so easy to get caught up in what you're doing and focus on what's at hand, and be eager to get back to it, giving short shift to the ergonomic break. Moderation, dear Braunzie, moderation. And a plentiful pile of patience. We both need to keep the faith that things will be better in the long run.
 
Awww @Braunzie so sorry to hear about your back. Just what you need huh? Hopefully it's nothing more than a little strain and will prove to be just a pebble in the road in a few days. I don't have any words of wisdom other than to do what you're doing and follow up with your doc ASAP. Hugs to you, hope you feel better.
 
Well, after sitting with the heating pad for a long while this am, I got brave (well, not really, the dishes were calling me from the sink.. ).. I was able to get up and do the dishes.. VERY slowly and carefully. Then my daughter and I went to Costco - while I had put one of those adhering heat pads on my back. (Yes.. Costco is a weekly occurrence.. I help pay for my own paycheck on a regular basis.. :heehee:) I knew our cart would be relatively light, so braved it (hmmmm.. .there's that word again), pushing the cart rather than using a crutch. That was a first! Took it very slowly, careful not to bend my back in any odd manner.. Then I went and got my haircut. (Life doesn't stop just because of a "little" pain.. ) I survived with just a few owie points... again, being very careful with my movements. More heat and rest now that I'm back at home.

Thanks, everyone. Hopefully this will subside over the next couple days, but definitely will talk to my PT about it on Tuesday.. I really have gained a LOT of appreciation for folks who have to go through life with consistent pain.. It really takes a lot out of you.. I'm counting my blessings (trying to look on the positive side!) that this is not a long term set of circumstances..

Hmmmm - Just realized this is my 2 month anniversary.. Yes, I've "come a long way, baby" - but still feel I have so far to go on this "marathon".. Trying to ... :ice:
 
@Braunzie Ohhhh, I feel so bad for you! I was limping along and my back started hurting. Thankfully ( I should be embarassed by this) I've been going to the same PT for 10 yrs and he knows my body. He adjusted my pelvis which had tilted forward ( anterior pelvic tilt). It was a very quick, simple fix and it was like night and day!
You might want to ask about this??

I'm 8 wks post op tomorrow and have seen vast improvements in the past week. Finally my energy is increasing!
Today DH and I went to ATL ( 2 hrs away) for my granddaughter's 5 th birthday party, Costco (drove the electric cart!) then stopped for an early supper before the 2 hr drive home! I am THRILLED to say, my knee did fine! I packed pain pills ( demerol, the ONLY thing I can take), ice packs, pillows, etc and needed NONE of it! Who knows, tomorrow may be a totally different story! I finally feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Tie a knot in the end of that rope and hold on! It WILL get better!
Hugs from the Mtns!
 
@Thesoutherncook. I was a day after you, and I'm feeling the same.

@Braunzie. Sorry to hear about the back. I've had a back surgery and issues with my back for years. In fact, I've been worried it might flair up during this ordeal. The only thing that works for me is to roll a towel or pillow and put it in my lower back while sitting in a straight chair. It usually takes 2-3 days.
Good Luck. I'm sure this is just another bump...
 
Took another oxycodone to help me sleep last night.. along with the heating pad. I woke up this am and (before I moved much) felt pretty good. I turned on my side for a bit.. and was surprised that I could.. Feeling very optimistic.. until it came time to get out of bed.. UGH!!:tantrum2: Back pain / spasms were back.. My husband took a look at my back and said it looked like I was "off" a bit.. - not really surprised, the way that I have been walking and sleeping because of my knee.. So.. took another pill, sitting in the recliner with the heating pad and found a chiropractor through my insurance "find a doc" application. (Never needed one here before.. ) Found that he had good reviews on line, so booked him for an appointment tomorrow morning, which is the soonest he can see me. I can last til then.. hahaha.. but that makes tomorrow a VERY busy day. Chiropractor appointment in the AM, lunch with a friend, and then my PT appointment in the afternoon. Ironically, today was supposed to be my first day back to work based on the original estimated return date. I am SO glad I was able to push that out a couple weeks. It would NOT have been good to have to call in "sick" my first scheduled day back.. :heehee:

Thanks again for all your well-wishes. I'm beginning to wish for the days that I was complaining about being bored.. - funny how that works. To all those "youngins" who might be reading in the early days of recovery.. don't look a gift horse in the mouth!! LOL! Bordom beats the alternative! :heehee:
 
So frustrating to wake up feeling OK and then get walloped with muscle spasms again. Very glad to hear you've made the chiropractor appointment -- hope that gives you some relief. I'd be very interested in hearing about how it goes.

Also very glad that you're getting a little more time to recover before going back to work. Costco shopping and a beauty appointment in one day ... that's more than I'd do in a day -- and a reminder that I need to think about scheduling cut and color appointments sometime. I planned ahead and had my hair done right before the surgery, so it's not totally out of control, just getting longer.
 
@Brauzie, I can sympathize with you. I finally slept all night but getting out of bed was a different story lol. It took me 20 minutes to make coffee. So glad you have taken more time off work. It's way to soon. You need more rest and recovery. I am already worried about surgery next Friday. I have never been under General Anesthesia. I realize I have to since stage 1 is 3-5 hours and again on Monday stage 2 is another 3 hours. I will be in bed the whole time and worried about my knee. I don't want it to be to stiff. I hope I will be on the orthopedic floor again. They are great and with a back brace maybe PT will be able to help a little. :doggie:
 
Well.. went to bed last night early, but didn't have any back pain to speak of, even after sitting for 3 hours in a conference room with our financial planners in the afternoon. Both my knee AND my back did pretty well - though as I mentioned, I was pretty tired when I got home. I was starting to think I didn't need to go to the chiropractor this am.. I was wrong! :loll:

Watched a few episodes of a TV series and then turned off the light to sleep.. Though I had no pain, I couldn't sleep. Did a bunch of tossing and turning throughout the night. But the time it was 4:30, time for my husband to get up for work, I was back to a high degree of back pain again.. Sigh!! He gave me another oxycodone and helped prop me up to a more comfortable position with a heating pad.. Don't know why I was feeling so good last night....

So, went to the Chiropractor this am.. (New one, since I haven't been in about 25 years). Nice guy, very thorough.. spent 2 hours with me asking questions, doing his assessment and then doing his adjustments.
He said I was definitely out of alignment where my lower right ribs meet up with my spine, and that was causing my muscles to do what they were doing. He also adjusted a number of other places in my back / shoulder / neck area. I mentioned some shooting pains I had experienced in my LEFT foot within the last several days - particularly concerning when I'm trying to recuperate my RIGHT knee - tough when you're trying to keep your balance! He checked it out and said that there were bones in my foot that were not positioned as they should be.. and he ADJUSTED MY FOOT BONES!! :rotfl: Didn't even know you could do that!! I thought I was just getting arthritis in my foot and would have to live with it.. Felt pretty good when I left his office.. We'll see how it goes tonight!! :fingersx:!!!!!!

Then I went to have lunch with a friend - who I went to high school with down in California who moved up to Washington to my neck of the woods a number of years ago... THAT is always fun!

Then I went on to PT. I haven't been to PT in 2 weeks, since they sold my original PT group and moved all the clients to a new group, new location. (Fortunately I have my same therapist!) I was a little nervous, as last time I went, my therapist told me I didn't need to do my stretching exercises anymore because my ROM was good enough.. (so I didn't - though I still felt guilty about it.. :shrug:) I really haven't been doing the other exercises as "religiously" as I should. - Yes, more guilt.... :shrug: PLUS, having back pain the last few days, I've done more sitting than usual.. I thought for sure my ROM wouldn't be as good and was worried about how I would do with the "other stuff". Guilt and worry.. Apparently, a lot of WASTED emotional energy, because..... I'm proud to say, "I did good!!" :happydance: ROM was better than it's ever been! 131/0!!! (Finally made a 0 extension!!) And I was able to do side leg lifts on the table that I've not been able to before.. Hmmmm - there might BE something to "not pushing yourself" (aka your knee).. EH??? :giggle:

What a flippin' emotional roller coaster ride this process takes us through!!! :cheers2:

Icing and resting now.. Hopefully tonight and beyond will be free of back pain.. :fingersx: and I can SLEEP!!! :yes:

Time will tell!!! Hope you all are having a good day!!!
 
Congrats on hitting 0 extension!! I am stuck at 2. I hate that stretch. Can you cross the extension stretch off your list now? Hope so. Also, my sister lives in Santa Fe, NM,and I love green chile powder! Again congrats on hitting 0!
 
@Braunzie -- Fingers crossed that the chiropractic adjustment did the trick and your back pain disappears. I have that problem, especially when I am sitting for too long. My pain seems to be due to sciatica, but my PT showed me some stretches using a towel around my foot and they work pretty well.
 
Back
Top Bottom