TKR Braunzie's Journey on "The Other Side"?

Hope today goes as smoothly as possible for you today!
 
Hi all -
Happy Sunday! I survived the marathon trip yesterday. It generally went well, except for the heaving rains and high wind warnings! (Hadn't anticipated that!) So the "3 hour drive" down took a bit longer than normal - and was a bit more "tense" at times than we preferred, but my knee did pretty well. We stopped for gas and a bite to eat at about 2 hours.. walked around a bit and finished off the trip.

I took some instant ice packs with me, and used one on the way down. I tried to routinely change positions with my knee, keeping it extended for a while, and then bending it with my foot on the dash for a while.. (I found this was also a great time to massage my scar!) Seemed to work OK.. Was just a little stiff when we finally got to our destination.

I will allow you to guard the pile of belongings you will have to dump on the side of the road before the campus police force you to move your car.
@Slainte - I kept listening to your words, and you'll be happy to know I behaved! It WAS funny.. all the handicapped places were taken, so my darling husband parked illegally, blocking one of the side walks. (He was not the only one, it was a ZOO with everyone dropping off kids and unloading cars, trucks, and uhauls!) We had lots of help unloading, so I stayed it the car in case "the campus police" came by.. Fortunately, it wasn't long before one of the handicapped places freed up and I was able to move the car. Just about a minute later, one of the campus cars came by, needing to pass exactly where I had been parked! haha! WHEW!:heehee:

Once everything was unloaded, we enjoyed a quiet dinner with my Freshman daughter and daughter #2 with her boyfriend and daughter #3's boyfriend - who had all generously come to help - then got back on the road again so we could get home before dark. Didn't want to have to fight wind and rain AND darkness on the way home. We drove the straight 3 hours without stopping. Fortunately, no wind AND no rain!! Again, used just one ice pack and kept changing position of the knee. (Didn't even use the pillows I brought to elevate in the back seat if needed.. ) And we got home before dark - to find the power at our house was out! haha! We had gusts of wind up to 60 miles an hour, and fortunately, lost no trees on our property (which is not uncommon in our windstorms). My husband went out and started the generator, so it wasn't too bad.

Knee was a bit stiff and didn't sleep great last night... But all in all, didn't need to take any oxycodone, and will plan on taking it easy today. Hard to tell if my knee is more stiff than usual, since it seems it is ALWAYS stiff anymore. :umm:

@cpd599 - Yes, I have started walking around the house "unaided"... I feel like a limping duck! But, I can get around and am working on trying to normalize my gait as I walk. Definitely when I get up from bed in the am (or in the middle of the night) and get up from sitting after a while, my knee is stiff and it takes a few steps to gain confidence.. But once I'm up for a bit, I can do "OK". - I just go VERY slowly! I won't leave the house without my crutch though.. and if I'm going someplace like Costco, I will use two.. just for extra security.. and added endurance capability.

Will mope a bit today about sending daughter #4 off to college .. even though I'm equally happy and excited for her.. Will try to do some housework.. just a bit... depending on what me knee is telling me. I think we are supposed to get more rain and maybe thunderstorms today.. @SarahJane - Still trying to figure out how to send some rain down south!!!

Best wishes to all of you today!!! :yes:
 
So glad your daughter's move went well, and that you did not get chastised by the "heat"! It is a bittersweet moment - of course we want them to live their life and expand their horizons, but still...

My eldest is still in school up north, number 2 is fully on his own and lives and works in Washington DC, but my youngest two moved back home after college. They contribute to the family fund and workload, and we are so glad they are back with us. We give each other lots of space and I hope they stay forever!

Glad your knee behaved itself. Continue to take good care of yourself!
 
@Braunzie -- I can't imagine having the stamina to move a daughter to college so soon after surgery. We spent three days last week caring for our oldest daughter's three youngest while they took their oldest to college for his freshman year. I didn't do any packing or loading vehicles, but was on my feet more than usual and my knee squawked! I hope your daughter doesn't have to deal with any identity fraud issues as a result of the theft. A friend had her info hacked off a health website and the thief got into her checking account and tried to open multiple credit cards in her name. She will get her money back but it has been a hassle.
 
I was very cranky yesterday and probably still am today.. Can't quite pin point the reason.. Is it my 6, now 7 week whine? Is it the fact I just sent my youngest off to college and miss her? Is it that I'm suffering from ACCUTE boredom?? (thinking of my friend @cpd599 :heehee: ), Is it that I'm sick of not having a CLEAN house? Is it that that weather is changing and I'm not into "GLOOMY??" Is it that I am SO DONE not being able to move quickly to GET THINGS DONE around the house? Is it that changes at work (reorg) have me completely mortified with what it means to my team that I've had for EIGHT years? Is it that I'm REALLY wanting to retire (because of work issues) and I know I can't?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!! WHAT IS IT???? :dubious:

WHEW.. :what:

Ok, that being said, I had a really nice visit with some friends of mine who came by to visit and BROUGHT lunch.. They came by about 11:30 and left around 3:00.. Nice LONG visit.. but as much as I love them, I was pretty much ready for them to leave. Took care of some business after they left for about an hour and then started cooking some beef stew (that I promised my husband).. Once I got it in the oven, started elevating and icing ..

I did actually book a reservation for a weekend house a couple hours away for the weekend of Sept 19-20 as my last "Hurrah" before I go back to work.. It's in an area where we are considering buying property for retirement.. Figured it would be a good time to check things out as well as get away..

Stew is ready.. SMELLS good.. Knee is tight (so what's new??)

Maybe will feel better tomorrow.. I keep asking myself... what the heck do I have to complain about???? Nothing, really.. so then.... ?????? :chinstroke: :flabber: :xmark:

:loll:
 
Answer to all your "izitz": YES. I'm there, too, ready to do again and frustrated that I can't yet. I call it the Whynes, last stage before full-scale Blues. AND my laptop keeps freezing up. Dang me.
 
Yup. All of the above. Possibly more your baby has gone off to college and you know an era of your life is gone forever. A friend of mine decided to get counseling for that last year, and it really helped her move forward. I'm not saying you need that. I'm trying to illustrate it's an emotionally challenging event having your last child fly the nest, and coupled with all those other things you mentioned, crabbiness would be very much expected.

Glad you found some good things to mention, too. Always nice when that can happen.
 
I'm glad you're taking time for a last weekend away before you start work. I've been muttering under my breath ... what, me whine? The third month goes much more slowly than we want, doesn't it? But, life is tremendously better than it was during the first pain-filled, drug-hazed, iced and elevated days. (How's that for a pep talk?)
 
You sure have a lot going on! Don't really know you, but you seem like a giving person to me - a nurturer, if you will. Making stew for your husband fed your spirit as well, didn't it? You want to take care of your work family too, but that might not be within your control. Want to make a happy home by having it be clean and welcoming. Hard to do that to your high standards these days. But just look at that brand new needy knee. It, and you, are the things that need the most consideration and care right now. You are investing in your future ability.

Glad you have scheduled a weekend away! Me too! @Raffs inspired me! We will all just keep holding each other's hands as we trudge up this hill of recovery. So glad I don't have to do it alone!
 
I had a hard time being out of loop at work during my recovery. But I'm sure it's a combination of everything that has you down. Tomorrow will look better.
 
I hope you are relating your extreme boredom to mine, and not saying I'm boring. lol.
I am going thru a lot of those same issues. You guys may or may not have an idea of what I do for a living, but I really feel I need to be at work right now, given the recent violence and protests. In addition.. dealing with the unkown abilities I will have or not have when I return.
It's tough when you have to send your kids away, but it will open new possibilities for both of you.
My youngest works as a nannie, and just took a new position with a great family. 1 week into the job, her car died ! I'm trying to help her but I'm not really very mobile yet... Then my a/c broke in the middle of a heat wave !
Thank goodness for friends and family. LIFE GOES ON
 
Braunzie, I'm a week ahead of you in recovering but experiencing some of the same emotions. Saw OS Friday and he took me off Celebrex. By Sunday I felt as bad as I did three weeks ago. I tried Aleve (Naproxon) and that didn't help. So I called OS yesterday and his PA prescribed 2 months supply of Celebrex...guess it doesn't hurt to ask. When I went to pick it up, the pharmacist prescribed generic. I told them I should be getting Celebrex and they redid the prescription....again, doesn't hurt to ask. I'm hoping this will put me back on the right track.

Here's wishing you a :flwrysmile: happy day!!
 
@Brauzie I made my husband watch the surgery on YouTube and he didn't make it 10 minutes! All caregivers should watch it so they know why you are in pain. Yes, he's tired but so are you. I am on my third PT. The other 2 gave up on me. Brian(my PT) is really nice and won't let me give up even if I say every name in the book plus some. :dogwalk:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, just catching up with you and your thread. I think I'm only just beginning to realise how much of an emotional and psychological toll this recovery can have on a person. The frustration, boredom, worry and impatience take over our otherwise fairly cheery demeanours and we have a little (or not so little) meltdown. You've got lots going on which I guess you just want to grab a hold of and deal with in your usual, upbeat and positive way but your knee has to take priority for now and that is very frustrating. Keep doing the do, we're here with you, feeling the same and trying to be.....wait for it......PATIENT!! :chinstroke:
 
@Raffs right now I am having a major meltdown. Nothing can console me. I am terrified of PT. They have such high expectations. Walking up and down 10 stairs unassisted. I really don't blame 2 pts for giving up. I guess I offended one with my potty mouth. My mouth and body has a mind of its own lol. They even brought me ice cream and it melted to a shake. :boohoo:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's great on getting away for the weekend! It's tough when the youngest leaves but on the plus side it provides more time for hobbies. :)

The dust bunnies in my house have met their destiny. I could easily imagine the frustration with seeing your house less clean than you like at a time when you're already hesitant to ask for assistance and even if you asked it would not be the same as you would do. I know a new generation of dust bunnies are already fledging but your post helped me focus on starting with things as clean as possible. The cleaning experience has had an added benefit of distraction from other issues. :yes!:

I also plan on cooking one of your recipes prior to surgery. It sounded great!
 
Wow.. what a great support system! Just reading all the comments makes me feel so much better!! Thank you all!! :happydance:

@Rob 68 - hope your laptop is no longer freezing.. I had that problem the other day, and it IS very frustrating!! If the Whynes is the "last stage before the full scale blues", I think I might be a bit worried!! I will try to change track now!! :)

@sdgrandma - You must see that you are in a lot a great company here.. we ALL take turns whining.. It's a great way to just "get it out" and move on because I know everyone here TRULY understands what each of us is going through.. :yes:

@PolarBear60 - Since I've been anticipating Maureen going away for a while, I have tried to prepare myself for the inevitable. While I really DO miss her, and knew I would hit this emotional episode, on the flip side, since she was also the MOST SLOPPY of all my girls, now I can actually keep the house clean, once I can GET it clean.. haha:heehee:

@SarahJane - Life now is definitely better than it was in the first 4 weeks after surgery, when I really couldn't do much for myself at all!! I try to keep that in mind. The difference is that I knew I couldn't do anything, so really didn't try. Now I can do more, but the frustration comes from it just not being ENOUGH. I am kind of an all or nothing person.. being in the middle is just one of those things I always have to work on... PATIENCE!! :wink:

@Slainte - I LOVE cooking!! So yes, I do it as much for myself as for my family. HAHA! Maybe I'm disclosing a bit of a secret.. that REALLY, I'm just one big CONTROL FREAK!! hahaha:rotfl: It's hard for me to give it up.... but thanks for reminding me that I need to just focus on investing in my "future capability"... I will work on that!!! I wouldn't doubt it if you have to nudge me in that direction again sometime before this is over!! Thanks in advance for that!! :friends:

@KarriB - Yes, today is definitely better. Though, my knee really hurts, beyond just the tight, stiff feeling. I believe I joined the IODI club. :nah:I'm spending the morning icing and elevating and taking a :chillpill:.

@cpd599 - Hahahaha! NO! I was not implying that you are boring!! :rofsign:I believe at one point I gave you a pep talk when you were commenting on being bored. Now you have me curious as to what you do for a living.. Can you share? :)

Glad to hear your daughter found a great family to nanny for! With four daughters, we had a few nannies over the years (more economical than day care for 4 kids!). We still keep in touch with a number of them and have seen them get married and have their own kids. They have really become an extended part of our family. I hope she has a great experience with that! Hope you can get both car issues resolved fairly easily.. and yes.. Life is ALL ABOUT family and friends.. :yes!:

@Swish - I've been talking Tylenol and Ibuprofen, but recently switched to Naproxin, as someone here said it was better for swelling than Ibuprophen.. too early to tell if it will make a difference for me. I'm actually temped to take an oxycodone today, as my knee was really hurting last night and this am.. Kind of on the fence.. I guess I'll see how I feel after I finish elevating and icing..

@Pescara - I haven't even watched the video on YouTube!! :heehee: Dealing with the recovery is enough for me!! haha!! My husband has actually been really good through all this. He has done a lot of cooking (always has) and even now, still makes sure I have a fully loaded ice machine every night before bed.

3 PTs?? Glad you have a "nice one" now, but up and down 10 steps unassisted seems like a lot given your current situation. I don't blame you for having a meltdown! Hopefully your day is getting better.. Will look forward to seeing an update on your thread. :yes:

@Raffs - Clearly, I still have work to do on the patience front.. :yes: But I am so very touched and encouraged by everyone here. I can't imagine how people get through this without having access to such a great support system!

@wings - More hobbies and a cleaner house!! :rotfl: I'm so glad my frustration has served as an inspiration for you!!! :yes!: .. and that it's a helpful distraction. I find cleaning very therapeutic when I can do it. (By the time I can do "real" cleaning, I'll be in need of a lot of therapy!!! hahaha!! :heehee: ) Don't be too hard on your knees though...

Hope you enjoy the recipe when you get a chance to make it.. Do you know which one you'll try? They are all good, but I would recommend the pork one myself if that appeals to your taste buds..

And to all - thanks everyone for taking the time to chime in and provide support and encouragement. That is exactly what I needed.. Hugs to you all!! :flwrysmile:
 
I hope you are relating your extreme boredom to mine, and not saying I'm boring. lol.
I am going thru a lot of those same issues. You guys may or may not have an idea of what I do for a living, but I really feel I need to be at work right now, given the recent violence and protests. In addition.. dealing with the unkown abilities I will have or not have when I return.

Let's see: cpd599=Cleveland Police Department? If so, stay safe and protect that knee.
Wow.. what a great support system! Just reading all the comments makes me feel so much better!! Thank you all!! :happydance:

@Rob 68 - hope your laptop is no longer freezing.. I had that problem the other day, and it IS very frustrating!! If the Whynes is the "last stage before the full scale blues", I think I might be a bit worried!! I will try to change track now!! :)
:flwrysmile:
Going straight from whynes to the blues just works for me; it's the way I'm wired. Primary lap still frigid; working on my older model, which is akin to swimming in Mississippi mud. Took yesterday off, getting ready to start a home PT session to see where knee stands, so to speak. Had to get another script for Tramadol, which did nothing for my attitude; thought I was done with those things. The therapy I need is the therapy I still cannot do; hitting those little yellow balls. Maybe in a couple of weeks. Glad you sound in better spirits. I'll get back there soon.
 
@Rob 68 - hopefully we can keep you from hitting the depths of the blues.. I get what you mean by Mississippi Mud.. - but I guess it's better than being "dead in the water"?? (Get it?? :heehee: - sorry, couldn't help myself)..
You'll be hitting those little yellow balls in the not too distant future.. - Just like I'll be taking out my cameras and taking shots again.. I know I can hardly wait for that!! Hang in there, buddy!! :yes:
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom